Day 12: Up All Night

The Twelve Days of EXO

"...and so the hungry, hungry caterpillar curled up in his nice, warm coccoon to take a nap after eating all that food. He slept and he slept, and when he finally woke up, he broke out of his coccoon and found that he was now a hungry, hungry butterfly and flew off to go eat more food. The End."

Joonmyeon smiled to himself as he closed the storybook and set it back on the bookshelf, looking down at the sleepy five-year-old that was curled up against his side. It was Christmas Eve, and his son was far too excited about Santa coming and delivering presents to go to sleep, even after three stories now.

"That's a good story, appa." The little boy yawned, obviously fighting drowsiness as he shifted beneath the blankets on his bed. "Can we read another?"

Joonmyeon smiled at his son's cuteness, leaning down to press a kiss to the other's forehead. "Yeseo-yah, it's time to go to sleep now. No more stories."

Yeseo pouted, whining. "But appa! If I go to sleep, I won't be able to see Santa!"

"Santa will come, Yeseo." Joonmyeon chuckled, tucking the blankets snugly around Yeseo's little body. "But he doesn't like to be seen, so he'll only come if you're sleeping. Remember, he knows when you're awake."

"Fine" Yeseo huffed as he laid his head down on the pillow. "But one of these days, I will see Santa."

"I know, baby, I know. Goodnight. In the morning, Santa will have brought you your presents." Joonmyeon smiled, switching his son's night light on before turning the main light out and closing the door. He made his way down the stairs of their house, slumping onto the couch with a loud sigh.

He closed his eyes, wanting to go ahead and fall asleep himself right now. He knew tomorrow was going to be a long day, especially with all the toys Yeseo would be getting tomorrow. He was going to be really tired for the rest of this week.

A pair of hands cupped his cheeks, interrupting his thoughts, but before he could react there were lips pressed against his. They were gone after a moment and Joonmyeon opened his eyes to see his husband smiling down at him, face only centimeters above his own.

"Hey." Joonmyeon said softly, smiling back up.

Yixing pecked Joonmyeon's lips again before straightening up and sitting down by the elder's head, running his fingers through his hair. "Did Yeseo finally go to sleep?"

Joonmyeon nodded. "Yeah, he finally agreed to try to fall asleep. He was getting drowsy when I left, though."

"Good, good." Yixing smiled, "You know what this means, yeah?"

"Yeah." Joonmyeon grinned, then laughed softly, "It means we get to see if we can get all those presents wrapped before morning."

Yixing laughed as well, nodding as he pulled Joonmyeon up from the couch. "Exactly. Let's go."

Joonmyeon followed Yixing down the hall to their bedroom where the latter had been making a nice pile of Yeseo's gifts while Joonmyeon had been putting Yeseo to bed. The presents had been hidden in the garage for the longest time, but none had been wrapped yet.

Joonmyeon plopped down onto the floor, grabbing one of the many rolls of wrapping paper, some scissors, and tape. "Alright. Operation Wrap Yeseo's Gifts is a go." He said in a fake serious voice.

"You're so weird." Yixing rolled his eyes with a smile, getting supplies of his own as joining Joonmyeon as they started to wrap presents.

They wrapped in comfortable quietness, the only sounds in the room being the crinkling of wrapping paper and the snipping of scissors. The pile of toys slowly became a pile of presents, all with Yeseo's name on them. Both of them had already wrapped their gifts for each other.

About halfway through, Joonmyeon took a short break and looked over at his husband. "So who's all coming over for dinner tomorrow?"

"Kyungsoo and Jongin with Minseok, Yifan and Tao, your parents, my mom, and maybe my grandma. She hasn't been feeling well recently, but she said she'll let me know by tomorrow morning if she's coming." Yixing replied, placing a bow on the present he had just finished wrapping.

Joonmyeon nodded, cleaning up some of the excess wrapping paper. "How old is Minseok now? Seven?"

"He'll be seven in Feburary." Yixing answered as he turned to look at his husband, "I'm surprised him and Yeseo still get along so well."

"Their personalities go well together." Joonmyeon shrugged, sighing a bit as he grabbed a stuffed tiger from the pile of toys and started to wrap it. "I don't remember buying this. Did you get this?"

"Yeah, I saw it at a little toy store near the hospital. I thought it was cute." Yixing smiled.

Joonmyeon nodded, wrapping it quickly and setting it aside. "I can't believe it's Christmas already. This year went by so fast."

"I know." Yixing sighed, "Yeseo is already halfway done with kindergarden... this time next year he'll be in first grade. First grade!"

"It's crazy." Joonmyeon shook his head, "I suppose I never realized just how fast he's growing up. Feels like yesterday he was learning to walk."

"Yeah..." Yixing smiled, "We're old, huh?"

Joonmyeon laughed, shaking his head. "Nonsense. We will never get old. You're forever twenty-nine."

Yixing rolled his eyes, grinning, "Thank you, babe. I love you."

"I love you too." Joonmyeon replied, returning the grin.

They continued wrapping presents, finishing just before midnight by some miracle. After eating the cookies that had been left out for Santa, they made their way as quietly as possible back upstairs and into their room. After both changing into their pajamas and brushing their teeth, they turned out the lights and crawled into their large bed.

"Hey, it's past midnight." Joonmyeon whispered, glancing at the clock. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas." Yixing sighed tiredly, snuggling up against Joonmyeon. "We have a long day tomorrow."

"It'll be fun." Joonmyeon said comfortingly, rubbing Yixing's back. "We'll miss these moments one day."

Yixing hummed, nodding. "I know. Goodnight, Joonmyeon."

"Goodnight, Yixing. Sleep tight."

They both drifted off to sleep soon after, lured away by dreams of a functional Christmas dinner and a happy Yeseo awaiting them tomorrow.

 


 

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you've enjoyed these Christmas one-shots as much as we've enjoyed writing them. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and a great new year!

-MyNameIsCarla