A simple promenade

When Highschool Drama lives up to its name (Hiatus)

“Hey, I saw Taec the other day with Yoona. Do you think she’s cheating on Khun?”
“Wooyoung’s so cute! Do you think he has a girlfriend?”
“Did you hear? Apparently some girl confessed to Chansung, but he turned her down.”

Taeyeon tuned out the chatter from the younger members of her squad as she pulled on her hoodie and tossed her hair behind her shoulders, although she caught the last comment. Taeyeon remembered vaguely during their practice that Sooyoung and Chansung had both left early, although she didn’t know why, and she wondered if it was related to the new gossip she had overheard.

“Good to go?”

Taeyeon turned back around to see Tiffany approach her with a smile, her bag already on her back. She nodded, shooting a quick glance at the mirror hanging in her locker before shutting it. The two said their goodbyes to their surrounding teammates before making their way to the door.

“Hey!” They both turned to see Yuri appear, also ready to go. “Are you guys walking? Can I come with?”

“Of course.” Tiffany raised her eyebrows. “But, don’t you usually go with Taec?”

“He’s been busy lately, or something,” Yuri replied with a shrug.

The trio left the change rooms to find a boy waiting by the lockers, earphone cords dangling from his ears as he bobbed his head to some unknown beat. His eyes were closed, and the faint sounds of Neyo’s voice filtered from his too loud music.

“That’s weird,” Yuri commented, looking around. “Where’s Junho?”

“Not sure,” Taeyeon replied, although her eyes were on Wooyoung. He was dressed in a casual tee and dark jeans, his hands in his pockets as he leaned against the lockers. A green and yellow cap lay fashionably at an angle on his head, and he matched with his green nikes.

The girls walked up to him and paused at respective distance as they exchanged amused glances, as if silently debating how to get his attention. After a moment of awkwardness, Taeyeon approached him, pondering ways to wake him up when Wooyoung’s eyes snapped open, giving them both a start.

He quickly pulled his earphone out of his ear as he stared at her, and then at the two girls behind her. “Hi,” he said, pulling an awkward smile.

“Hey,” they replied through giggles. “Have a nice nap?” Tiffany asked.

Wooyoung breathed out a smile. “Trying.”

Taeyeon smiled back, before furrowing her eyebrows. “Have you seen Junho?”

His smile disappeared, and he replied neutrally, “Nope.”

Taeyeon made a face, turning around briefly to scan the halls.

“Maybe he went home early?” Yuri suggested

Taeyeon shook her head. “He was still there when we finished practice.”

“Did you check your phone?” Tiffany put in.

Taeyeon grabbed her cell in response, flipping it open to find one unread text.

Went home early. Have some things to take care of.”

Taeyeon let out a sigh as she read the message. It was just like Junho to get right to the point.

“He went home,” she stated as she snapped her phone shut and shoved it in her pocket.

“Whatcha doing here anyway Wooyoung?” Tiffany asked, interrupting an awkward silence before it could start.

“I ended up having to rearrange some things in my locker, and I figured after how long it took, that I might catch you guys as you were leaving,” he said with an innocent smile.

“Cool,” Tiffany replied as they started walking. They all turned as a pair of juniors left the change rooms and waved at them before walking off and chattering quietly to themselves.

“Why is it that I think you just gained a new rumor?” Yuri asked with a small laugh as the girls disappeared around the corner.

“Huh?”

“The first years are quite chatty aren’t they,” Tiffany commented as they made their way to the double doors.

“The second years too. They always seem to be interested in the upper years. I don’t remember being so curious as a junior.”

“Probably cause all the good looking boys are in the upper years,” Tiffany commented as she nudged Yuri, and they both laughed.

Taeyeon smiled, although her mind was partially distracted by Junho’s text. Not that she ever expected cute expressions in them, but really? Couldn’t he at least type a ‘Sorry’? It was five letters, or three, if you were being lazy.

“See you guys tomorrow,” Yuri said as they reached the intersection. Tiffany nodded in agreement, but Taeyeon didn’t miss the glance her bestfriend sent her before the pair walked off.

“You alright?”

Taeyeon turned to see Wooyoung gazing down at her, his presence too close for casual interaction. She took in a sharp breath of surprise as she eased back a step.

“Yeah,” she replied, a little flustered. “Why?”

Wooyoung shrugged. “You just seemed a little dazed, that’s all.”

Taeyeon looked over at him. Wooyoung seemed like he wanted to say more, but he left it at that.

“Is there a bus stop further up where you walk?”

Taeyeon blinked in surprise. “Yeah?”

“Cool. I’ll walk you then,” he replied with a smile.

Before she could protest, they had already walked past the bus stop as he led in the direction she usually took to walk home.

“You really don’t have to…” Taeyeon turned in time to see him pout at her. And it was ridiculously adorable.

“You don’t like my company?”

Her eyes widened as she hastily shook her head. “No, no. It’s not that, it’s just that you’re wasting your time-”

He smiled and shook his head. “Naw. I’ve got all the time in the world. Besides, the sooner I get home, the sooner I have to get started on that math assignment. Oh that’s right.” He suddenly turned and shot her an accusing glare. “I don’t know what we’re doing cause someone was distracting me while he was explaining it.”

Taeyeon opened in mock surprise. “Me? Says the one who wouldn’t stop stealing my paper.”

They both laughed at the memory before an awkward silence fell between them. Taeyeon looked down at the ground as they walked, unsure of how to break it. Wooyoung suddenly disappeared out of the corner of her eye and she turned around. He had stopped, and Taeyeon finally spotted the bus stop sign posted to her left.

“I’m guessing there isn’t another one further along the way.”

Taeyeon reluctantly shook her head. “There isn’t.”

Wooyoung absently nodded, turning his gaze to the side. “Alright then, guess I’ll see you tomorrow?”

She nodded. “Yup, bye Wooyoung. Thanks for walking me.”

He looked back over, and his eyes caught hers. “Hey Taeyeon-”

Wooyoung suddenly stopped mid-sentence and narrowed his eyes. Taeyeon blinked, unsure of the cause until she noticed his gaze had gone past her and she turned around.

Junho had a sour look on his face as he walked over, his hands in his hoodie pockets.

“What are you doing here?” Taeyeon asked, astonished.

“Felt bad for leaving without a word, so thought I’d come back to walk you. What’s he doing here?” Junho said with a nod in the other boy’s direction.

Taeyeon sighed. Junho didn’t even bother trying to hide his distaste for Wooyoung, and she knew Wooyoung felt the same.

“He was nice enough to walk me, cause someone decided to ditch.” She stared at him accusingly, her expression playful.

Junho suddenly smiled, his eyes turning into crescents as he looked down at her. “I’m here aren’t I?”

Her tiny smile turned into a grin, and Taeyeon beamed. Suddenly remembering, she turned back around. “Thanks again Wooyoung,” she repeated with a smile.

Wooyoung smiled back, and Taeyeon was almost sure he was forcing it, making her sudden happy mood falter. Did he dislike Junho that much?

She waved, and her and Junho turned and walked off, heading down the quieter streets to their neighborhood. Although Junho wasn’t saying much, Taeyeon was actually pleasantly surprised by his appearance. He wasn’t one to make the effort when he felt bad; Junho was the passive type. So him walking back to school just to walk her home brought a smile to her face, and she happily poked fun at him as they walked home.

As light as her mood was, Wooyoung’s last expression shadowed her thoughts, and she wasn’t even sure what she was feeling bad for.