Step on the Welcome Mat

Paper Plane


"Taeyeon," she breathed out quietly. The words tumbled out easily as if she had already known the name. The cold air brushed past her skin, letting her crouch on the balcony, desperately clutched onto the paper plane. Small white puffs left her lips, which she found to be comforting. Her fingers fiddled with the folded piece paper repeatedly. The one's name seemed to glow on the white sheet, in bold print. It had started to be engraved, etched into her head. "Taeyeon. What a pretty name." 

A blur of blonde hair met her sight as she turned her head to the bedroom entrance. The blonde's scowl look on her face, eyes narrowed to a glare. "Jess, what are you doing? You should be helping us." 

"I found a paper airplane," Jessica mumbled, a smile pressed on. 

"What? What for?" Krystal leaned in, on the door frame, her eyebrow arched in confusion. 

"I just found it laying on the balcony with a small message written on it." 

"You're getting admirers already?" She sneered, a smug look masked on. 

"Shut up. Of course not. It was just from our neighbor, welcoming us." Her eyes lingered back to her palm where the plane stayed placed on its side. It was strange, how this folded sheet of paper got her mesmerized at a snap. An allured spell on her, taking her away from sense of reality. 

Krystal rolled her eyes, "well quit daydreaming and help us unpack these boxes." The tall girl shuffled out the room, sighs following after. 

Jessica scrambled back to stand, forgetting she was in the freezing cold. In a flash, the glass door slid shut. Happily, her finger still laced around it, a glistening shine seemed to spark in her eyes. Her hand slid on the railing of the stairs, face showing bits of excitement. 

She had moved with her family recently, and they spent their usual their day unpacking the brown boxes stacked on one another. Furniture placed the right way, along with utensils, and other nessceties. And just today, she ended up finding this paper plane on her balcony, written in a memorable handwriting she wished to find the owner to. Her mind became distracted every moment as she tried to unpack, but to find herself sitting on the wooden floor, reading the same message over and over again. Everything about it got her smiling, a tinge of curiosity washing along. 

"Sooyeon. Would mind order some food for tonight's dinner?" Mrs. Jung had called out from the kitchen. 

"Sure thing mom." Jessica peeled herself off from the floor, eyes peering over the stacks of unopened boxes. She bent down after, eyebrows stitched together as her phone was nowhere to be found. 

"Krystal!" The strawberry blonde lifted her head, shouting loud enough to startle the younger latter. 

"What do you want!" Krystal came storming out of her room, annoyance replenishing her face. She leaned over the railing, glaring. 

"Have you seem my phone?" 

"No," the young blonde responded with the simplest word, before running back to her confined space. Jessica sighed in defeat, tracking up the stairs to her room. Pitch black and quiet it was. The lights above her flickering on when she pressed to illuminate. Her hand trailed over to her white painted desk. There it was, laid gently next to the messy pile of supplies. Jessica grabbed the seat next to it, plopping down. Today was another meal of takeout food, her stomach begging for something else. Cringing, she dialed the number to a Chinese takeout restaurant, ordering her family's usual meal. 

-


-


-


It was quick. The pattering steps that went up the stairs were the only thing her family could here. Barely, she touched her dinner, appetite lost. So she rushed, she rushed up the stairs, her door slammed open. She could hear her sister constantly yelling profanities at her, but they were muffled between the on door. She leaned her head against the desk, her fingers finding the certain plane again. Played from the side, lifted back around. Her hands reached for her phone again, pressing the home button to awaken it. Something in her felt missing. It was as if she waiting for something particular,  to make her feel whole. Was it the paper plane, or it was her wanting to meet Taeyeon. But she really didn't know. 

Right then she snapped her head to the sliding glass doors. A light thump hit on the vertical surface, grabbed her attention. In immediate instinct, her eyes widened. She stumbled out her chair, reaching out to open onto the balcony. Winter air poured in, and a new piece of paper folded, hitting her shoes. It was another paper plane from Taeyeon. The gear turned in her, and she knew. Quickly, she snatched it up, her head picked up to look across the other house. 

And she saw her. A short brunette grinning from ear to ear. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--

thank you so much for the subscriptions and comments. Got me encouraged.