Chapter 2: Love's Secret Ingredient

Cook Up a Love Potion

 

HE COULDN'T keep his eyes off her. She was avoiding him, he was sure of that. Earlier she had talked to him and when they ran together she didn't seem as aloof. “Must be because I ate her cupcakes.”


 

Who told you that you can eat those?!” she looked horrified with what he did.

“I'm sorry, I was getting hungry.” he his lips. She looked more horrified. “They're delicious. Do you bake them often?”

“You weren't supposed to eat them. Those weren't for you!” she grabbed the box before he could get another one and ran off with them.

He followed her but before he could get to them, she had already thrown them into what appears to be a garbage dispenser. It ground the poor cupcakes into mush. “What did you do that for?You're wasting food!”

“You weren't supposed to eat them. Are you feeling okay? Do you feel any different?”she looked extremely concerned. She held his face with both hands and looked at him intently. Her hands were warm and made him swallow. They smelled of real strawberries.

“You smell like strawberries.” was all he was able to say. She smelled delicious. He suddenly became hungrier than he was in the beginning. It was like a kick in the gut then a hunger following suit. She heard him moan and his stomach growled.

“Here.” she gave him something wrapped in foil. “Next time you're hungry, ask for food. Don't touch food that isn't yours.” she pushed him out of the kitchen and he was more confused that she could be a fangirl for a moment then a strict chef the next.

He unwrapped what he was holding and saw a blt sandwich. He took a bite and he knew that his stomach fell in love with Mary's cooking.

 

Eunhyuk sat next to Donghae who looked doe-eyed at Ninz. “Dude, you have to stop doing that. It's embarrassing.”

“Says the guy who can't stop talking about a cupcake.” he laughed at his friend's comment. He had been grilling Ninz about Mary's chef background. And the food she served was amazing.


 

You guys have a great cook.” Eunhyuk was talking with his mouth full. Mary blushed when he said that. “What I say?”

 

Mary smiled at him and put more meat in his side dish plate. “I am glad that you like my cooking.”

 

Eunhyuk swallowed then exclaimed, “Wow. You should definitely make this your job or something.”

 

Jen interjected, “She's our part-time chef here at the bar. She makes new dishes that is just ours and she teaches the cooks how to make it. This is our dream bar. Mary is the cook. Ninz is the designer. I am the manager and Jans is the PR.”

 

The friendliness disappeared since he ate that damn cupcake. It was like she was totally pissed at him. That impromptu meal she made then was amazing. They had fun and had even sang korean songs together. She was growing on him but now this happens. I wonder what's wrong?


 

HE needs to stop doing that. Mary was getting nervous. Eunhyuk has been looking at her and it was making her extremely uncomfortable. “I am going to get some more pica-pica.” she stood up and escaped to the kitchen.

She leaned at the door of the refrigerator and tried to get her pulse back to normal. Being started at by your bias does not make one calm Marjorie. I never should have made those stupid cupcakes. She dialed her aunt's number. “Tita, this is MM. I was wondering about that love potion thing you gave me. Does that really work?”

“Of course naman, iha! How do you think I got your uncle to stay loyal to me? I mixed that stuff in his food the first time I made a bento box for him. And he's been hooked since.” she could hear the loud laugh of her otherwise funky aunt. “Did you use it yet?” the crazy aunt that she was gave way to the concerned aunt.

“That's what I was going to talk to you about. I accidentally mixed it in this cupcake batter I was trying out. I mixed it up with my secret vanilla mix. And someone accidentally ate a couple of cupcakes from the batch that I made. Is there a cure for this potion?” she asked in desperation.

“No, I don't think there is. Wait...” she could hear her aunt flip some pages rappidly. “Here, if accidentally ingested, must enduce vomiting.”

“Tita, he already digested the entire thing! He ate other food already!” she knew her aunt was kidding with the vomiting thing since that was for accidentally ingesting poison. She was not that clueless.

“Honey, my shaman friend said that the spell can only be broken if one of you find the love that was meant for you. So you have to find that boy you keep dreaming about or he needs to find someone to love. The only power stronger than a magic is true love.” she breathed a sigh of relief.

“That's easy enough to do.” she laughed and calmed down a bit.

“Before the next full moon.” her aunt added. “Which is exactly a month from today since according to my calendar, the full moon is tonight. Good luck, sweetie. If you can't find a new guy or he doesn't find a new girl, then you are stuck. Who did you give it to anyway?”

“Eunhyuk.” her aunt knew that she liked him so Tita Imelda laughed harder this time.

“Oh honey, you should be thanking me not asking me how to get him off the spell! Don't you like that Super Boyfriend guy?” she had to laugh since her aunt keeps getting idol groups' names mixed up.

“Super Junior, tita. He's a Super Junior not a Boyfriend. That's a different group.” she giggled despite being frazzled.

“Well he could be a super boyfriend of yours if you don't find your Flour Prince before the next full moon. Someone needs to get your heart before you can release him.” she groaned. “I don't think you are masochistic enough to try to get him a new girl. So just enjoy.” her aunt ended the call before she could ask another question.

My Flour Prince, where are you when I need you so desperately?


 

“Love potion, huh?” Eunhyuk held him chest and tried to look at MM from behind the larger fridge and had to wonder if that whole story makes sense. It was something right out of a drama. This was some Secret Garden .

“We need to talk.” MM's cell flew when she shrieked in shock when he came out of his hiding spot. He barely caught her phone but sighed when he did. “You need to get me out of this spell that you were talking about.”

“You heard everything?” she asked sheepishly.

“You put the phone on speaker.” he smirked at her clumsiness.

“It's not my fault.” she pouted at him. “You were the one who ate food that was not yours.”

“It's you fault since you endangered my heart when you baked those wonderful cupcakes and then put them where I could or anyone could eat it.” he moved his left eyebrow up to make a point.

“No one else would eat it. We Filipinos have more courtesy when it comes to food that are just lying around.” she put her hands on her waist and moved her eyebrow at him as well.

“You did not just say Koreans take what isn't theirs. I was hungry! Sue me. You need to make me feel better. I honestly don't believe in what you were talking about. But it wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side. I don't want to be stuck like this.” he sighed when Marjorie looked hurt at what he said. “I don't mean it the way it sounds. It's just when it comes to love, I want to be able to choose not be chosen. Do you know what I mean?” he sighed again when Marj looked at him like she was even more confused now. “Look, your aunt said you have to fall in love with someone else, right?” he asked and she nooded. “There we go. We just need to find you someone to love and I am home free.”

“It's not as simple as you think. There is someone who I already want to be with. And he is definitely not you. I'm a fan but I am in love with someone else. And I know what I want. And he is not an idol star.” now it was his turn to feel bad.

“Who is this guy then? I am sure I can find a way to get him to go out with you.” he sounded like a pimp and it made him laugh. Marjorie looked offended. “I mean, we can find a way to hook you guys up so you can get to know each other. Just as long as it gets me off this dumb love spell. It's making me hungrier.” he laughed because it was true. Being around her made him hungrier. “What's his name?” surely she knew that.

“I don't really know. I call him my Flour Prince.” Marjorie looked embarrassed.

“Are you kidding me, so this guy you like is some kind of nameless guy you like?” he wiped his face with his hands. “How did you meet this guy exactly?”

“I have been dreaming about him since I was in sixth grade.” he knew his jaw dropped on the floor because of how rediculous her statement was.

“Are you kidding me right now? This guy is a figment of your imagination? Crap, we are going to be stuck like this forever! If only I had someone I could love...” he sighed when he remembered that he just ended yet another hushed up relationship because his girlfriend couldn't handle the fact that he takes Donghae's call more often than hers. The girl even went so far as ask him to come out of the closet. He shook his head and chuckled in frustration.

“I don't go around telling people that your ideal woman doesn't exist! Where do you get off telling me that!?” she was near to tears.

He sighed and apologized. “Sorry. I just remembered something really bad.”

“If you are talking about that you broke up with, we never did approve of her. If she really loved you then she should have understood your job.” she covered when he looked at her sternly.

“You know about that?” he asked her.

“I am a diehard ELF. Of course I know that. We don't know her name but we knew you were dating someone. There were selcas of you two somewhere that leaked. Her face was pixilized though.” he sighed in relief. The last thing he wanted was his fans getting wind of that awful relationship. As much as he wanted to go public, his private life would be turned upside down if word got out that he was dating a foreigner.

“We are getting off-topic here, Miss I backed a cupcake with love potion in it. Just how are you going to know who this Flour Prince is?” he asked her.


 

MARJORIE didn't want to reveal her dream, it might not come true but this was for a good cause. “It's always the same, the dream. I am in a kitchen, he is there a he is covered in flour. That's all I remember. In the dream his features are quite clear but as soon as I wake up his face is pretty hard to remember. It's like my mind deletes the data as soon as I wake up. We were cooking something and that was the reason why he was covered in flour, I think. Before I wake up, he always calls me something but it's not English or Filipino. So I am thinking that he might be saying something in another language. It wouldn't be impossible. But I can't remember that either when I wake up.” she sighed and looked at him. “Does it make any sense?”


 

HE paled. That was familiar. He's had that dream on the plane once. “Where you making Korean pancakes by any chance?” he asked her.

She shook her head. “I think we were baking.”

“Do you remember the color of the apron or any other detail in that dream?” he asked. “Did you understand that thing that he said right before you wake up?”

“Yes, actually. But I don't know what I do. I just know what it means but he didn't say it in English or Filipino.”

“What did he say?” he asked.

“I think he said...” Eunhyuk and she said the same sentence.

“I'm hungrier when I am around you.” she gasped. “How did you know that?”

“Huh...what do you know...” Eunhyuk had to sit down. Fast. This was not how love was supposed to strike. He wanted something that could fit in a song. This was not that. “that's what I said in my dream. In Chinese.”

“No! You don't love me. You are not my Flour Prince. You can't be!” Marjorie was freaking out, obviously. She must have started cooking because of this guy only to find out that her dream guy wasn't a chef after all.

“Look, I think I am not that guy either. I'll help you look for him. I am sure there is a hot sweet chef whom you can love. So what if your dream was a dud? Dreams don't work like that. They are just images your mind make.” he tried to console her.

“You don't understand anything about me do you?” she looked like she was ready to collapse.

He held her and tried to lend her some strength. “Look, I am sure I am not your Flour Prince. Our dream were just coincidental. You are going to find that guy soon enough. I'll help you.”
“How are you going to do that?” she looked up at him.

“We'll scout out all the pastry stores where there are single chefs and find which one of them is your Flour Prince.” she smiled a bit because of it.

“You would do that for me?” she asked.

“I am doing it for me too.” he said. “I have to find my dream girl too. Let's call her Pancake Girl.” Marj laughed when he said that.

He wipped an invisible tear off her check. “No more crying, M. I will be your fairy-god SuJu.” she laughed when he said that.

“Eunhyuk!” Donghae opened the door and caught them in each other's arms. Ninz was right behind him and even hit her face on his back.

“Hey, watch where you are stopping!” Ninz rubbed her nose.

“Sorry. Is you nose okay? Do you want me to kiss it?” Ninz blushed when Donghae actually kissed her nose.

“Get a room, you two!” Eunhyuk called out. He was feeling that twinge of jealousy again. Donghae was able to move on to a new love. He was stuck in the hurt of the past and now he was feeling odd emotions about a woman who smelled like his favorite fruit.