Chapter 6: Make a Wish

Cook Up a Love Potion

 

DONGHAE was following Ninz with a desperate aura of a puppy dog. Eunhyuk knew deep inside of him that this girl was it for his friend. Whatever happened after Bora, she was going to be it for him. She was going to be the one that Donghae would compare all women to. And Eunhyuk was beginning to fear that future for his friend. Ninz didn't look like she was ever going to leave the Philippines and Donghae was going to have a hell of a time trying out a long distance relationship.

On the other hand, Mary and him were getting along famously. She talked to him almost all the time. They were both worried of the DongNinz situation but decided to never talk about their own moment of craziness. It hovered over them like a taboo topic. Whenever he came to dangerous levels of heat and palpitations, she would start talking about Chef Arnold and something chef related. It douched his fire significantly every time. It turns out Chef Arnold was also teaching baking in a culinary institute. She had decided to enroll for a two-year course that would get her certified. She was going to make her own cupcakes soon and she promised to give him a discount on his orders.

“Why can't you just give them to me for free?” he asked her.

“What kind of businesswoman do you take me for? Cupcakes cost money. You can at least pay for the ingredients, kuripot!” she couldn't help but say it outloud.

“What did you just call me?” he has been learning Filipino from Sungmin but he can't seem to keep the words in his head long enough to use them.

“That means a grinch who is super thrifty.” she laughed.

He laughed. Talking to her always removed his stress. She was getting more beautiful every time he saw her. The last time they saw each other in person was when the group flew back to Korea. It was way too long ago. He had to make do with pictures, skype and telephone calls. It was never enough. He couldn't smell her and eat the food that she prepared.

“Your birthday is coming up, do you have any requests?” she asked. Of course she knew that. He was her bias after all.

“A cake made by you. A cupcake tower for me and for my friends to eat their heart out.” he smiled his best aego smile.

“I would if I could. But I don't have enough money to travel right now. I will enroll soon so I have to save my money.” she looked sad. “And you guys came out with a new album. I am kinda broke right now.” she said.

“I can send you a ticket. Then I can handle the rest.” he said.

“Really, now? I can't stay at your dorm. That would cause a scandal that I can't live down.” she .

“I will ask my mom to let you stay at our house.” he said. Marjorie didn't want to say yes. She was obliged to keep it a secret. So she shook her head.

“Sorry, I can't.” she saw his shoulders slump. She wanted to tell him the truth but she couldn't.

“Okay, I understand. I thought it would just be a great thing to be able to eat your cooking again. I miss it so much.” he pouted and looked like a lost wet puppy.

“Sorry.” she had to get out of this topic or she would spill the beans. “I have to go. My mom asked me to help with dinner.” she waved goodbye and turned off the conversation.

“That was close.”

Keeping a secret about a surpise birthday is harder than I thought it would be. It was harder for her to hide the birthday surprise that SM was making for Eunhyuk where she was invited to make the birthday cupcakes and cake. She might have to avoid him until then.

 

EUNHYUK was sure that she was not busy enough to cancel all of his calls and not answer all of his PMs. It was bad enough that she had left in a hurry that time, he had a feeling that she was not going to be available to him for very much longer. She was going to study with that Chef Arn guy and he was going to sweep Mary off her feet. Where would that leave him? Back in Korea with no Mai-Mai to worry about and no Mary to cook for his birthday.

This was going to be the worst birthday ever.