Eight

That Man's Child

“Jongki-ah, this is Appa when he was still in high school.” Jonghyun showed the boy a picture of them in school uniform. It was taken on their first year. “Uncle and Appa are best friends back then.”

“Appa looks young.”

“What about me?”

Jongki looked back and forth from Jonghyun and the picture before nodded. “Uh, Uncle looks like this.”

“I know right! I don’t age at all.” Jonghyun kissed the top of Jongki’s head as he was pleased to hear the child’s answer. “Let’s take a look at the others.” Jonghyun was excited, scrolling down his phone and showing Jongki the photos of them.

“Who is this girl, Uncle?” Jongki pointed at Taemin who was hugging Jinki at one photo. Jonghyun held his laughter at the innocent question.

“That’s not a girl, Jongki. It’s Taemin. He is Appa’s best friend. He’s very pretty, isn’t he?” Jongki nodded. “And this is Minho. Appa and Minho were on the same middle school.”

“They’re Appa’s friends?”

“Yeah, just like Uncle Jonghyun.”

“I want to see them. Are they nice?”

“You never meet them before?”

Jongki shook his head. “Why uncle never visit Appa? Jihye noona comes to play with me every day.”

The question caught him off guards. “Who is Jihye noona?”

“Park ahjumma’s daughter, noona is my friend. She comes to see me or sometimes I come to see her. Why uncle never visit Appa?”

“That’s because uncle doesn’t know where you live. If Jongki shows me where you live, uncle will come every day.”

“Really?” Jonghyun didn’t miss the spark in Jongki’s eyes and when he nodded, Jongki let out the cry of joy. “When they let me home, I’ll ask Appa if you can come with us.”

“Ah, thank you baby.”

“Are you friends with Uncle Minho and Uncle Taemin too?”

“Yes, why?”

“If uncle knows where we live, can you please tell them to come? I never see Appa’s friends coming to our house. Appa is always so happy when my friends come. Jongki will be happy too if Appa’s friends come to visit us.”

“Sure, uncle will tell them to come.”

 

Later when Jinki was back to the hospital, he found Jongki sitting alone on his bed, his eyes glued to the TV screen. It was rare. He wondered if Jonghyun went home earlier today.

“Jongki-ah, Appa’s back.”

“Appa!”

“Did you wait for me? It’s late; you’re supposed to be sleeping.” Jinki sat by the bedside and caressed his son’s cheek.

“It’s only 7, Appa. Appa should be back around 10.”

“Appa takes few days off from the café. That uncle you met at the café knows that Jongki is sick.”

“Jongki will be home very fast so Appa can work again.”

“Ah, thank you. You will be home very soon. The doctor said Jongki can go home in three days if Jongki takes the medicine regularly and be a good boy.”

“The doctor said that? When?”

“When I met him downstairs just now.”

“I can’t wait to go home! Appa, can uncle Jonghyun come with us when we go home?”

“Oh?”

“Jongki never see Appa’s friends at home. Uncle Jonghyun says that’s because he doesn’t know where we live. Uncle Jonghyun says he will come every day. Appa, can he come with us?”

“Do you want him to come with us?”

Jongki nodded in response.

“Ah, then let’s invite him to our house.”

“Thank you Appa, I love you.”

“Do you like uncle Jonghyun that much?”

“Hmmh, I like him so much.”

“Why do you like him so much?”

“He is fun and kind and nice and he’s your friend.”

He chuckled. “Why is it if he’s my friend, darling?”

“Uncle showed me pictures when Appa was in high school and uncle looked like he was nice to Appa so I like him more.”

On the other side, Jonghyun had a hard time dealing with his father’s colleagues at his fiancée’s friend’s wedding. His mother called him around 4, reminded him of the wedding invitation that night. He really wanted to stay with the kid if it wasn’t for his father who was coming to the event too. He didn’t wish to spend an hour of lecturing about being a good fiancé as well as a future Kim Corp.’s CEO.

He was praying to God that this would come to an end very soon because he couldn’t bear Junghee bragging about their upcoming wedding because hell, that wouldn’t be happening. His father also added his misery as he kept introducing him to the people that would benefit him when he took over his place in the company.

When God answered to Jonghyun’s call, it was almost midnight when they drove back home. Junghee clung on him so much that he had to push her away to get to sit a little more comfortably.

“Is he taking a good care of you lately, Junghee?” his father asked right after he saw him pushing her away.

“Lately, Jonghyun is busy with the child he hit few days ago. It doesn’t matter, Father. It shows how much he loves kids. He will make a great father for our children in future.”

“Didn’t you say everything is under control, honey?” the man turned to his wife. “Why he is still dealing with the child?”

“He is my friend’s son.” Jonghyun replied in his mother’s place.

“Do you remember Jonghyun’s one and only friend when he was in high school? The child is his son. Jonghyun hasn’t met with him for years. That’s why he’s spending so much time at the hospital. Besides, he’s very fond of the child.”

“Still, it’s not a reason for you to neglect your duty as a fiancé. Also, you’ve been skipping works ever since the accident.”

“I’m still going to stay with the child until he’s discharged from the hospital.”

“I expect to see you at the office tomorrow morning.”

“Sorry to disappoint you. I won’t come, the child is still hospitalized.”

“Kim Jonghyun!”

Jonghyun was lucky because the car stopped in front of their house so he could get off without responding to his father and headed to his own car before speeding to the road and heading to the hospital. He knew he would have to face his father’s wrath the next time they met but he didn’t care. All he could think about was seeing Jongki sleeping in peace and snuggling close to him. He was half running when he entered the hospital and surprised Jinki when he saw him standing in front of the door, running out of breath.

“Hey,” was the first word Jinki said to him.

“Hyung, can I come in?” Jinki took steps back so Jonghyun could make a way in.

“It’s late.”

“I know. But I want to see Jongki.” He said as he sat on the couch, his eyes staring at the boy who was asleep, hugging a Donald Duck plush.

“Oh.” Jinki joined him on the couch, because that was where he slept every day. He leaned his back on the couch and closed his eyes, only to open them again when he felt a pair of arms wrapped around his waist and a head on the crook of his neck.

“I hate my dad so much.” Jonghyun mumbled.

“You always do.”

“Why does he not understand that I don’t love her anymore?”

Jinki sighed. Jonghyun had always been like this, seeking comfort from him whenever he messed up with his dad.

“I just want to watch over Jongki until he’s fully recovered and I swear I’ll be back to work.”

“You don’t have to. Jongki is fine on his own.”

“But I am not fine with the thought of leaving that child alone at the hospital knowing he’s sick.”

Jinki didn’t say anything about that.

“I like him so much, you know. I guess it’s inevitable. Maybe it’s in his blood. He’s your son after all. I instantly like you too when we first met. The same goes to Jongki.”

“I don’t understand your logic sometimes.”

“It’s okay. You always whine about how stupid and nonsensical and illogical I am.” Jonghyun chuckled at their memory in high school.

“Just shut up and let me sleep.”

“Good night, hyung.”

“I told you to let me sleep.”

“So I wish you a good night.”

“You are still holding on to me.”

“I need to be comforted after having a tough day with my father. Just sleep. I won’t move a lot, I promise.”

Jinki guessed he couldn’t do anything about Jonghyun. The younger had his own way to make him surrender and in the end, it would go as Jonghyun wished.


Hi there, another chapter is up.

As always, I don't have time to reread what I write so please forgive me for any mistakes in this story.

See you~