Thirteen

That Man's Child

Jinki couldn’t hide his shock when he opened his door this morning. He never guessed that Jonghyun would show up on his door because he didn’t want to miss little Jongki’s first doctor appointment after the accident. This time he didn’t feel bothered with the younger presence, he was relieved instead. There was another pair of arms that would help if Jongki was to act out at the hospital. So he let him in and almost smiled when he heard the sound of footsteps coming closer to their direction.

“Uncle!” Jongki chirped when he saw his uncle and quickly run into him. Jonghyun welcomed the little boy, sweeping him off his feet and hug him tight.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Hmmh,” Jongki nodded. “Appa says we’re going to the hospital again.”

“Yap, we’re going to make Jongki’s head feel better.”

“Will it hurt?”

“Of course it’s not going to hurt, you won’t feel anything!” Jonghyun convinced the boy. Jinki smiled at them. Sometimes it came off so funny when Jonghyun told something and Jongki took it seriously. Upon watching how well the two were right now, Jinki decided that it was fine to leave them alone and resumed his pending work at the kitchen.

“Are you going with us?” Jongki asked.

“Do you want me to come along?” he asked back.

Jongki nodded and it sent Jonghyun to heaven to know that the child wanted his company.

“Do you want to ride Uncle’s car to the hospital?”

Jongki nodded again.

“Then we’re going to the hospital with my car. When we meet the doctor, Jongki will be a good boy and let the doctor do his job. After that, we’re going to eat steak and ice cream. How is that sound?”

“Can we buy candies too, Uncle?”

“Sure, we can have candies too. But you have to be a good boy when we’re at the hospital, promise?” Jonghyun offered his pinky finger for a pinky promise, in which Jongki gladly accepted.

“Do you forget that Appa is coming with you too, Jongki?” Jinki said from the kitchen. “You know you won’t get ice cream and candies at the same time.”

Jongki whined and started to protest until Jonghyun whispered something into his ear and silenced him. He put him down on the couch and told him to stay there while he made his way to the kitchen.

“Hyung, you can stay and rest. I’m going to take him to the hospital.” Jonghyun offered.

“No. I appreciate your help and all but you’re spoiling him too much. If he eats too much sugar, it would be hard to put him to sleep at night.” Jinki went on with his lecture on raising a child but Jonghyun wasn’t up for it.

“I’ve prepared something for you. I’m sure you will change your mind after you see it. It should be on the way right now.” Jonghyun cut him off.

Jinki stopped and turned around to stare at the younger. “Jonghyun, I’m –“ As it was on cue, the sound of someone knocking on the door was heard, interrupting their convo.

“I’ll get the door! That must be them!” Jonghyun was so excited he almost run to the door, leaving Jinki perplexed in the kitchen all by himself. He immediately followed the younger to the front door, curious as what kind of surprise he had prepared for him.

“Finally! You guys are here!” he shouted upon seeing two males waiting in front of the door. It wasn’t long until Jinki himself showed up and was as surprised as the others when he saw two familiar figures he hadn’t seen for so long.

“Minho,” Jinki murmured, eyes fixated on the tall boy standing a few steps ahead. However, it was Taemin who took the first move to hug the older boy.

“Hyung, where have you been?” Taemin whimpered as he buried his face on Jinki’s neck. Tears started to stream down his cheeks as he hugged his hyung tightly. Jinki who always had a soft spot for Taemin slowly wrapped his arms around the crying boy and let out a pained chuckle.

“Hyung is here, Taemin-ah.” he answered as he brought his hand up to Taemin’s purple hair. He still couldn’t believe it that little Taemin he used to pamper when they were in uniform was here, in his arms, crying his heart out from missing him so much.

“You really find him.” Minho spoke up. He was much calmer compared to his boyfriend. He stood there, observing the emotional sight before his eyes.

“I wasn’t lying when I said I found him.” Jonghyun replied. The two were back to silence as they were too focused on Jinki and Taemin until Jongki came into picture.

“Jongki-ah,” Jonghyun called him as soon as he noticed the child’s presence. Jongki walked to his uncle and held out both of his arms, signaling Jonghyun to hold him.

“Uncle, who are they?” Jongki innocently pointed to Taemin and Minho.

“They are Appa’s friends. The ones Jongki saw in the pictures on Uncle’s phone. Do you remember?” Jongki didn’t reply him and continued staring at his father and Taemin. “That is the Uncle who looks like a girl.” Jonghyun added.

“The pretty uncle.” Jongki responded.

“Do you remember them now?”

Jongki nodded. “But his hair is purple.” Jongki pointed out.

“Yeah, Uncle Taemin coloured his hair so it’s different from the picture you saw. Isn’t it pretty?”

“It looks like onions.” Jongki’s comment put the older into laughter.

“Who is he?” Minho’s deep voice startled Jonghyun, reminding him that he was there.

“Jongki-ah, this is Minho. He is Jinki’s appa friend, too. Now greet him properly, will you?”

Jongki looked at Minho and nodded his head a little. Judging from his face, Jongki was a bit dazzled with the sudden visit from Jinki’s friends.

“Greet him properly, Jongki-ah.” Jonghyun put him down and waited for Jongki to make a bow.

Jongki eyed Minho for a moment before bowing cutely while saying nice to meet you to the amazed uncle in front of him.

“Is he the child you’re talking about?”

Hearing the word child, Taemin pulled himself out of Jinki’s embrace and turned around to see Jongki.

“Greet Uncle Taemin, too.” Jonghyun instructed.

Jongki obeyed and bowed politely to Taemin. He was a little scared or maybe shy when Taemin took few steps closer to him and bent down so their eyes could meet. Taemin stared at the child for a moment, making Jongki uncomfortable under his intense stare. His gaze shifted to Jonghyun just for a moment before it was back to the child.

“Taemin, you’re scaring the boy, you know.” Jonghun warned.

“Is he your child, hyung?” Taemin asked for Jinki’s confirmation. He got up and turned to face his hyung again.

“Yeah,” Jinki admitted.

“There must be a lot of thing you guys want to tell each other, right?” Jonghyun interrupted. “The thing is, this child has a doctor appointment and it’s just weird if all of us go and it will likely make Jongki feel uncomfortable, so what about you three continue your reunion inside and I’ll be the good guy who takes Jongki to the hospital and babysit him for awhile?” Jonghyun offered.

Jinki was about to speak up when Taemin cut him short, “That sounds like a good idea.” He said; eyes’ piercing on Jonghyun’s which caused the other felt uneasy. He wasn’t surprised though. He always knew Taemin was a creep. It was just he hadn’t encounter this kind of situation for years so it felt like a whole new experience when he got to get into this circumstances again. When Jinki showed a disagreement, Taemin put on his puppy eyes and told his hyung that he missed him so much and wanted to hear from him so badly which made Jinki agreed right away because he was still unable to resist Taemin’s charm even after Taemin was an adult.

“Be a nice boy for Uncle Jonghyun, okay?” Jinki pleaded as he helped Jongki to get ready. Jonghyun waited on the living room with the other two in a complete silence because none of them bothered to start a conversation. When they walked out of Jongki’s room, Jonghyun stood up and took Jongki’s hand before bidding goodbye to the three. He took the boy to his car and drove to the hospital. Jongki asked a lot of questions about Taemin and Minho on the way which Jonghyun answered carelessly as he didn’t really know about what the two had been up to for the past four years. They weren’t that close if it wasn’t for Jinki.

Once they arrived at the hospital, Jonghyun took the child to Kibum. If there was anyone he needed right now, it was Kibum. He knocked on the door and entered after he got permission. Kibum was happy to see Jongki again, and so was Jongki. Kibum’s smile was so wide when he heard Jongki talking and it wasn’t leaving his face until Jonghyun started to talk to him, “I want you to perform a DNA test on him, now.” His tone was all demanding and full of authority.

“What do you –“

“I want you to perform a DNA test on him.” He repeated. “I don’t want to hear anything about permission or like that. I want to know if he is my son or not and you’re going to help me or else… you know what is going to happen if you say no.”


I can't believe I would ever hit 100 subs with my Jongyu.

Thanks for your support.

I hope you enjoy the current chapter.

See you soon <3