Fifteen

That Man's Child

Right after their hospital visit, Jonghyun took Jongki to a park. He had promised the boy an ice cream treat so they got one.

“Which flavor do you want?”

“Uncle, can I have both strawberry and chocolate?”

“Sure baby, one strawberry and chocolate please.” He ordered Jongki’s share before turning back to boy on his hold. “What flavor should I get, Jongki-ah?”

“Hmmm…” Jongki eyed the ice cream on the display, looking deep in thought for a simple question. “Appa” he suddenly said as he pointed to the vanilla flavored ice cream.

“Yes?”

“Appa” Jongki repeated. “Appa likes vanilla ice cream.”

“We can’t buy it for Jinki Appa. It will melt down before we reach home.”

“Uncle, buy that please and give me one bite. Appa always gives me one bite.”

“Sure.” Jonghyun ordered one scoop of vanilla ice cream. He put the boy down and handed him his share. Once he received his and paid for them, Jonghyun led Jongki to sit on the bench not far from the ice cream parlor. He watched Jongki happily his ice cream and wondered how the sight could give him a warm feeling inside. Two days, in two days he would find out if Jongki was his or not. That was what Kibum told him, that the result would come out the day after tomorrow.

“Jongki-ah, what did Jinki Appa tell you about your other father?”

“Papa will come if Jongki be a nice kid.”

Jonghyun nearly chuckled at his innocent reply. “You’ve told Uncle about that. What else did Jinki Appa say about him?”

“Appa says that Papa loves me.”

He should be, Jonghyun muttered to himself. Whoever Jongki’s father was, he better loved the child to death or Jonghyun would steal Jongki away and made him his. “Do you love him?” the question slipped out before he could comprehend it. Now he sounded like an idiot for asking such question, even if he knew Jongki would think so because he was just too young. Jongki nodded his response, making the older wondered if that was possible.

“Even if you haven’t met him?” he double checked.

Jongki nodded again. “Appa always tells me to love Papa as much as I love him.”

That touched Jonghyun deep in his heart, making him grow fonder of the child he wished was his.

 

“Did you cry?” Jinki kept everything in check as he took off his jacket – just to make sure Jongki didn’t throw a tantrum while he was out with Jonghyun. It was part of his parenting, to make sure that Jongki behaved well when he was with other people.

Jongki shook his head. The lollipop in his mouth prevented him from talking.

“He did well.” Jonghyun answered for him. “Jongki is a good boy, right?” he squatted down beside Jinki, his eyes set on the child. “The doctor said there is nothing to worry about. You can stop giving him the medicine. Jongki might need to see the doctor two or three times more just to check on the stitches. I strictly ordered them to not leave ugly mark on his head.” Jonghyun proudly explained. “You don’t want a surgery mark on your cute little head, right, Jongki-ah?” Jonghyun caressed Jongki’s cheeks affectionately. Jinki couldn’t help but stare at Jonghyun and genuinely moved by the admiration the younger had for Jongki. Jonghyun was so sincere toward his son that it scared Jinki sometimes. Jonghyun was the first person Jongki grew attached so fast. It took time for Jongki to get close to Mrs. Park and Jihye. Jinki remembered how he was kind of forcing Jongki to like their neighbor so he could leave him under their care when he was away for work. But with Jonghyun, it happened naturally Jinki was sure if Jonghyun stayed with them, Jongki would like Jonghyun more than him.

“Let’s take a bath after you finish your candy, Jongki-ah.” Jinki broke the lovely sight of Jonghyun and Jongki with his sudden order. He stood up and made his way to Jongki’s room to get some new clothes when his son called out to him. He halted and turned around.

“Appa, can I bath with Uncle Jonghyun?”

“Sure you can –“ Jonghyun nearly jumped on excitement but stopped by the sound of his ringtone. His excitement died as soon as he looked at the caller’s ID. Jinki noticed the changes on Jonghyun’s face so he quickly diverted Jongki’s attention.

“Uncle Jonghyun has something to do. You’re going to do it with Appa. Is that okay with you?” Jinki explained it carefully as if he was asking for an understanding from his child.

Jongki, who was confused, could only look back and forth from his father to Jonghyun.

“You better go see her, Jonghyun.” Jinki confidently said. He knew it was her, from the distant look Jonghyun had while he looked down his ringing phone as if it would stop just like that and from the way Jonghyun lips formed a tight line while he waited for it to stop for real.

When it did stop, he quickly shoved his phone back in his pocket and faced the child. “Uncle has to go now, but I promise we will do it next time. Okay?”

Jongki nodded. Jonghyun pressed a kiss on Jongki’s cheek before pacing toward the door. He didn’t aware of Jinki following behind. Right before he left, Jingki called to him and said a brief “Thank you, for Jongki and for taking Taemin and Minho here” and closed the door, not giving Jonghyun a chance to reply.

***

“It’s cold outside, sweetheart.” He heard the sound of his mother light steps approaching. He turned around and smiled a little.

“That would be the reason why you shouldn’t be here.”

But it didn’t stop her from crouching down to sit beside him. She looked up to see the dark sky and noticed the full moon up there. “Oh my goodness, look at that beautiful moon up there, my dear.”

Jonghyun could only smile upon hearing that, he knew his mother was so fond of the night sky. He sipped his beer from the can he was holding and looked up to see the beautiful moon his mother was talking about.

“My baby won’t be up this late, sitting by himself outside in this chilly weather with a can of beer in his hand if there is no something wrong with him.”

Jonghyun chuckled a little and took a big gulp of beer before throwing the empty can aside. The maids would take care of it tomorrow, he thought.

Of course something was wrong today. They just had a huge fight, his father and he. His father had decided the date of the marriage and now they had moved into preparing the actual wedding. He was so angry he lost control and shouted in front of his father. He was so against the marriage and they had just to do everything without his concern as if he didn’t matter at all. It was his life, he should have been the one to decide if he would want a marriage or not. But his father wouldn’t listen and his fiancée was just insane. He turned to his mother, seeking for a support but there was none. To say he was disappointed would be an understatement.

“How is it going with the child?” she dared to ask.

“We went to the hospital earlier this day. We will find it out soon. Two days the doctor said.”

His mother scooted closer and rubber on his arm, trying to say that she would be there for him.

“I’m sure he is mine.” Jonghyun said. “I will come see father when the result comes out. I will tell him that I have a child, from a male, and I won’t marry her.”

“Let me help you, my son. Let me talk him into accepting the child if it –“

“No, I will do it on my own.” He smiled to her before getting on his feet and left. He could hear the sound of his mother rushed steps behind him.

“Jonghyun, wait my dear, let me walk you to your room and tuck you in.”

“Thanks but sorry mom, I just want to be alone.”


A new chapter for you guys <3