Two

That Man's Child

The surgery went well; it was a success, thanks to the most professional surgeons the hospital had ever have. Actually, it was thanks to Jonghyun, who was able to gather the best ones in short amount of time. Yeah, Jonghyun. Jonghyun was the man who hit Jongki with his car, the one who owned the hospital, and the one who had helped Jongki in every way possible. Jonghyun was also the one who had stayed with Jinki and Jongki when no one else did, like right now.

“Jinki hyung, it’s almost 8.” Jonghyun whispered carefully. The room was in a complete silence – except for the regular beeping sound from the machine – as none of them bothered to make sounds. Jinki was sitting on the chair next to the bed, holding his son’s hand tightly as if he’d lose him if he loosened the grip. And Jonghyun chose to sit on the couch on the side of the wall, from there, he could watch his hyung’s back.

As he heard no answer from the older, he went on with the fact that they hadn’t had dinner yet. Much to his dismay, Jinki refused to respond to this one too.

“Hyung, you have to have dinner.”

“I’m going down for dinner. I’ll get you something for your empty stomach.” Jonghyun added, giving up when he knew Jinki wouldn’t budge. When he exited the room, he couldn’t help but wished the older would catch up and join him, but no, he didn’t.

On his way to the cafeteria, Jonghyun felt like laughing. Laughing on the way fate brought them back to each other in the least expectant way. Jonghyun recalled the memory of them on high school. They were best friends. The word ‘best friends’ Jonghyun didn’t even dare to use that term as a label of what was between them for the past four years. It was upsetting on his part. He used to think that their friendship would last forever, until the day when Jinki suddenly left him, without goodbyes whatsoever. He just left, like that. When Jonghyun opened his eyes that morning, he couldn’t find Jinki anywhere in their apartment. He waited and searched for him, but Jinki never came back. That was when he finally thought that maybe Taemin was right. Maybe he was never be Jinki’s best friend.

Jonghyun still remembered the day they first met. Jinki was Minho’s best friend. They were from the same middle school, along with Taemin – Minho’s boyfriend that was pretty much the most beautiful boy Jonghyun ever saw in his life. It was hard to not pay attention on them as Minho was the tallest student and he was publicly admitted that he was gay and Taemin was his boyfriend – more like he was trying to tell the other to stay away from the pretty boy. At first, Jonghyun just shrugged them off like who were they that he had to know everything about them. That was until he was assigned with Jinki on their first academic project. From there, Jonghyun knew that he was going to stick with the boy for a long time.

Jinki was very kind, the type that would be there for you when you needed him. Jonghyun was lucky that Jinki liked him back. After that project, they were soon attached to each other. Jinki was no longer spotted with Minho and Taemin as often as before. Most of time, he spent his time with Jonghyun until one day, they decided to just rent an apartment together. They were on the same building with Minho and Taemin, different floor. Jinki was with them at first, but then when Jonghyun told him what was on his mind, he agreed right away.

They grew closer day by day to the point Minho complained on how Jinki barely hung out with him anymore. The older chuckled and joked that he was tired having to cope with them – the couple –when they got too intimate. However, Jinki managed to find a way to balance the time he spent with Jonghyun and with them.

Jonghyun did try to get close to Minho and Taemin but it only ended up pissing him off because Minho was possessive as both to his boyfriend and his best friend. Minho had made it clear that no matter what, he was Jinki’s number one best friends. He didn’t mind it; he was mature enough to not bother with stuff like that. On the other hand, Taemin was a whole different case. No matter how fond he was with Taemin’s physical feature, he couldn’t stand his behavior. He didn’t talk much when Jonghyun’s around and Jonghyun really didn’t mind it – as it was safer than talking with him knowing that Minho would jump on him at any moment if he deemed Jonghyun was being too friendly to Taemin. Taemin had the ability to observe people. In several occasions, Taemin would speak up weird stuff to Jonghyun. Like that day when he introduced his first girlfriend in high school to them, Taemin didn’t say anything. He just mentioned his name and smiled a little bit and back being the Taemin he always be. On the way home, he abruptly said “she’s not as nice as you think” which surprised Jonghyun. He thought that must be Taemin’s flaw. He mean, God was fair, if he was born with a perfect face, then being a creep was his shortcoming. Jonghyun thought the same when one day Taemin asked him “are you sure you’re his best friend?” Later on Jonghyun learnt that it wasn’t Taemin’s weak point; it was another gift God gave to Taemin. Because after all, he was always right. His first girlfriend used him for money. And Jinki left him.

Being too deep in thought, Jonghyun arrived at the cafeteria in no time. He ordered from the menu and picked a seat in the corner of the room. He fished his phone out of his pocket while waiting for his food to be served. He scrolled-down his contact list before dialing a number.

“Mom,”

“Jonghyun-ah, where are you? Are you out with your friends again?”

“No, I’m at our hospital.”

“What? Why? Did something happen to you?” Jonghyun chuckled at the hysteric tone his mom made when she found out where he was.

“No, mom, I’m fine. I happen to hit a child on my way to the office this afternoon.”

“You crash into a child? –“ Jonghyun knew his mother would go into a panic mode as soon as she heard the news but he let her be.

“The surgery was a success.” He told her when she finally finished talking. “We’re waiting for the boy to wake up now. Please calm down, I’m not killing anyone. Dad’s men in the hospital helped me settle down with the police. There is nothing to worry about for now. But mom, do you remember Lee Jinki?”

“Jinki? Your friend from high school?”

“Yeah, that Jinki.”

“Of course I remember him, dear. He’s like the only friend you bring home. Can we talk about your accident again?”

“Mom, it’s his child. He’s Jinki’s child.”

His mother was silent for a moment. Jonghyun couldn’t say anything, too. Even when his food arrived, he couldn’t bring himself to thank the waiter.

“I think I’m not going to come home tonight.”

“Do you want me to stay with you? Just give me a few minutes –“

“No, it’s okay. I don’t think it’s good for him with both of us around.”

“Okay, if you think so then I’ll be waiting for your call. Call me as soon as you need me. I’ll talk to your dad about this matter.”

“Thanks, Mom.”

The phone call ended there. Jonghyun stared at his food long enough for it to turn cold. He chuckled, and then he grabbed his spoon and started eating. It was funny, Jonghyun thought. How Jinki disappeared in one morning when he owed Jinki an apology and now Jinki came back to his life one afternoon and made him owed two.


Soooo... have you guys heard about Jonghyun's upcoming solo album?

Let's pray for a Jongyu track in the album <3