Twelve

That Man's Child

To be honest, he felt bad to his mother for having to cope with his restlessness. His mother didn’t deserve a distressed night due to his constant shifting on the bed and loud sighs that seemed to continue until the sun climbed back to horizon.

“If you could tell me what’s bothering your mind then I’d be thankful, dear.” His mother finally spoke up. “That’s what you should be doing, isn’t it? That must be the reason why you want me here tonight. If you’re not going to do so, let me back to your father.”

“No, please stay, Mom.” He held his mother’s hand to keep her there. “There are so many things running on my head and I don’t know where to start.”

“Anywhere, dear, anywhere, I will listen to you.”

“I’ve been thinking about possibilities. It scares me, Mom. I want to find the truth but at the same time I feel like it’s the best to leave it like this but it makes me a coward then.” His timid voice had made his mother believe that something serious was going on in his life.

“What scares you dear?”

“I’m afraid that I’ve been a bad person who has made a huge mistake. I hope I am not. I hope the truth is the opposite.”

“Why are you thinking that way? What mistake could you possibly commit?” She tried to remain calm despite the impatience that began to grow inside.

He suddenly sat up and turned to face his mother, “Mom, would you still forgive me if the worst possibility turns out right?”

“Dear, hold on, what’s the real issue here? You’re confusing me.”

“Promise me first, you will forgive me even if I turn out to be doing something unforgivable.”

“What bad thing could be done by a little baby like you, hmm?” She got up and patted his head tenderly; trying to say that it was okay and he had her.

“Mom, there is a possibility that I got someone pregnant with my child.” He confessed. His mother was quiet for a moment, making him more afraid that she would get mad over this news.

“And there is still a possibility that it’s not yours.” His mother reminded.

“Yeah, what if it’s mine?”

“Which one?”

He threw a questioning look to his mother, not knowing what she was asking.

“You have many girls on your history, so which one?”

It was his turn to be quiet, not really know how to explain this to his mother.

“Ask her, if it’s really yours, then you have to take responsibility. Even though I can already picture out how your father will react if he knows this.” Her voice was stern and he was nervous with that. “But it’s not sure yet, as you have said, so there is no need to worry over this.”

“I doubt this person would tell me even if it’s mine.”

“What makes you think that way?”

“Mom, let’s say it happens to you, what would you do?”

“I would tell him,” she had a smile on her face that he was sure she was smiling more to herself than to him. “You didn’t know how happy he was when I told him we’re going to have another member in our little family.”

“It’s different, mom. I mean what if it happens to you before you two get married. If you decide to not tell him, why would it be?”

Her mother was in deep thought for a moment before continued, “I’m not sure dear why she would hide it from you but the only times I lie to your father are whenever I want to protect him. I love your father so much I don’t want him to get hurt. There are times when I get caught lying to him and instead of being upset or mad at me, he was coolly shrugged it off and told me that I didn’t have to. Your father is actually a softhearted man, you know. He knows that I do it for him that’s why he always understands.”

“To protect him, huh?” he repeated.

“Yeah, to protect him.” She smiled. “What about you figure it out first? If it’s not yours, then you’re just wasting your time worrying over nothing. But if it’s yours then you have to think about ways to explain this to your father and your fiancée. I can’t promise I won’t be disappointed if it’s really yours but I would think of something to help you along the way.” She hugged him. She knew her son was far from perfect. He messed up so many times and crawled back to her for rescue. If she was in her youth right now, she wouldn’t even think twice to reject a man like her own son but what could she do? He was her only son and she could never turn her back on him.

 

 

The next morning, he came up with an idea. A bright idea, if he could say. He took his phone and scrolled down his contacts to find that number he hadn’t been dialing for a long time. He waited for someone on the other side to answer his call. After the fifth ring, he could hear the familiar voice talking to him.

“Hey, it’s me.”

“I know. What’s up?” the other answered casually. From the way he talked, it was obvious that the other man didn’t feel thrilled over the phone call.

“I find him.”

That simple statement held the power to silence the other man. Jonghyun knew he must be at loss of words upon hearing the breaking news.

“Where?” Jonghyun felt a slight satisfaction after hearing the pleading tone from the other.

“I can text you the address. My suggestion, come over tomorrow. He’s going to take a day off to send his child to the hospital –“

“Child?”

“Come over at 8 in the morning tomorrow.” Jonghyun ignored the interruption. “I will take his child to the hospital so you can have time with him. Take Taemin with you. He must be pleased to see you two. I’m hanging up.”

“No, wait, Jonghyun –“

“I don’t have time to explain. I have to work. Besides, it’s best for you to hear everything directly from him.”

Even if they weren’t exactly on a good term with each other, Jonghyun wouldn’t hesitate to use them. It was a win-win for them. They got to meet their long lost friend and he got the distraction he needed. Who knew if Jinki would open up more to them since they were good friends and Jonghyun could always find a way to make them spill it out for him.


A super short update for your weekend.

Hopefully I can come out with a new chapter tomorrow.

See you on the next chapter~