Three

That Man's Child

“Hyung, I get you a sandwich and a cup of hot cappuccino.” Jonghyun said when he entered the room to find Jinki on the same spot as when he left him earlier.

He walked toward the older and put a hand on one of his shoulder, “You need to eat. You can’t keep a watch on your son if you get sick too.”

Jinki seemed to be convinced as he looked up to meet Jonghyun’s eyes and then down Jonghyun’s occupied hands. Jinki stared long enough at the cup of cappuccino Jonghyun bought him. After all, Jonghyun never learnt that Jinki didn’t like cappuccino.

“Thanks. You really don’t have to.” Jinki said. Jonghyun quietly watched Jinki eat. It relieved him a little knowing that at least the older had something down his stomach for today.

“Hyung, you can go home if you want. I’m going to watch over him for you.”

That surprised Jinki for sure, but then again, he remembered that Jonghyun was the one who had caused this, he had to be feeling guilty right now.

“It’s okay. I’m going to look after him myself. I don’t want him to wake up without me. Besides, it’s getting late. It’s you who should be going back right now.” Jinki smiled. Jonghyun froze a bit when he saw it. The smile he thought he never got to see again. He had never been missing his friend this much before, but when he finally saw Jinki in flesh again, his longing for Jinki overcame him to the point he wanted to jump on the older and held him so tight and scolded him for leaving. Then again, Jonghyun had to hold himself back because it wasn't the right time.

“I've told told my mom I’m not coming back tonight so it seems like you have to share the room with me. We can take turn watching over him. Or we can stay up all night catching up with each other.” If only Jinki could see the spark of hope on Jonghyun’s eyes at the thought of talking with Jinki all night long.

“You can sleep first. I’ll wake you up on midnight.” Jinki suggested which successfully killed the light on Jonghyun’s eyes. Jonghyun wanted to object but he gave up and lied down on the couch. He closed his eyes but sleep had a hard time overtaking him. There were too many things running inside his mind. So he sat down and started to speak up what was on his mind.

“Hyung, how have you been?” he dared to ask.

“Oh, you’re not sleeping yet.” Jinki said for to himself. “I’m good, I suppose.” Jinki added, answering the question.

“Is that all? It’s been four years since you left us. It can’t be just good.”

“Good is all you need to know.”

“Why? I thought we were friends. But one morning you were just gone without saying anything without leaving any notes. I was looking for your whereabouts to no avail.”

JInki chuckled, “You couldn’t be looking for me. What about the Jonghyun who’ve always been busy chasing the girls?” Jinki’s light joke broke the tension. As if in cue, Jonghyun’s phone rang. “That must be from your girl.”

Jonghyun fished out his phone and sighed when he found out that Jinki was right. However, he rejected the call and shoved the phone back to his pocket. When he looked up, he met with Jinki’s questioning look.

“It was good until she started  up to my parents. Turn out she’s the possessive type and I can’t handle her anymore. She becomes too demanding and wishes for us to tie the knot soon. But I don’t think she’s the one I’m going to marry. But Dad likes her so much, that’s why we’re still together. More like my Dad forces me to go on with this when I’m done with her.”

Jinki just smiled and his eyes went back to his son. Jonghyun hadn’t changed at all. He was still the same Jonghyun he had left four years ago.

“Aren’t you going to say ‘maybe you’re not destined with girl’ this time?”

Jinki just smiled, not glancing away from his sleeping son.

“You used to say that every time I screw up with my girlfriend.”

Jonghyun rose from his seat. He silently dragged a chair and placed it next to Jongki’s bed, just right on the opposite of Jinki. He could see the man looking down at his son with affection in his eyes and it overwhelmed Jonghyun to see this side of his friend he had never seen before.

“He’s going to be alright. He’ll be up soon.” Jonghyun tried to console the older.

“He has to wake up soon.” Jinki took Jongki’s hand and kissed it. Jonghyun could see the pain in Jinki’s eyes and the sight gave his heart ache. Of all people in this world, why it had to be Jinki’s child?

“I’m sorry, hyung.” Jonghyun really meant it. “If there were anything I can do to make him back in shape, I would have done it. I’m so sorry.” Jonghyun could feel his eyes stung as he apologized to Jinki. He tried his best to hold back his tears but then Jinki smiled a smile that didn’t reach his eyes and that was when Jonghyun broke down.

“It’s okay. Accident happens. Besides, you’ve done everything you can. I should be the one who thank you for doing this much for Jongki. Don’t cry.”

Jonghyun hated to hear it. Jonghyun hated how everything remained like how it used to be. Jinki was the one who needed to be consoled, not him. But he was a pathetic human being who couldn’t bring himself together to be strong for Jinki and broke down and received comfort from the older instead. No matter what, in the end, it was Jinki who took care of him more. Just like Taemin had said to him that day, Jinki always did much more for his sake. If Jonghyun did one thing for Jinki, then Jinki would return it by ten folds. It made him feel bad. It made him want to believe that maybe they weren’t mutual. Their friendship was revolving around him. It was always about him and never Jinki.


Happy holiday, everyone <3

Thank you for your nice comments. Sorry I haven't replied to them :(