Sixteen

That Man's Child

A new chapter because even with my slow progress, I don't want to take a year to update this :"

and I posted a new chapter of Misconception but it's a 2min chapter.


“Let’s go out and get some fresh air first” was Kibum’s short but bewildering answer when Jonghyun came to get the result of the DNA test. As if it wasn’t odd enough to hear that out of Kibum’s, it was even more surprising to find himself not objecting the request and silently watching Kibum taking off his lab coat before following the latter to the door.

Kibum held the door open for Jonghyun before taking the lead. They walked through the hall, passing the receptionist, before exiting the building. Jonghyun was starting to get extremely curious when Kibum was heading to the parking lot on the side of the building.

“Where are we going?”

Kibum didn’t say anything. He kept on walking until they reach the back of the building where no one could be seen around. Kibum stopped and looked around before leaning his back on the wall and pulling out a pack of cigarette of his pocket which surprised Jonghyun.

“Want some?” Kibum offered but Jonghyun shook his head lightly.

“I don’t expect you to smoke.”

Kibum snickered on that.

“So this is it? I don’t have time for this.” Out for smoke was the last thing that cross his mind when Kibum asked him out.

“What’s your history with Jinki hyung?” Kibum asked out of sudden, not looking at Jonghyun at all.

“What?”

“Right after I read the paper, I really want to punch you on the face.”

There was a long terrible pause where Kibum was trying to calm himself down, hoping for the nicotine to help him this time. But this silence was more of a nerve-racking pause on Jonghyun’s side.

“He is yours.” Kibum said, anger was obvious in his tone. “I keep wondering how that is possible. Mind to explain?”

“He is mine?” Jonghyun said, still trying to comprehend the new piece of information that he had been anticipating.

“I said he is yours. Now answer my questions.”

Getting irritated with the way Kibum talked to him, Jonghyun decided he wouldn’t let the doctor have his way “He is mine and that is all you need to know.” He replied.

“Tch, I want you to tell me how you could get him pregnant and then left him on his own. You better tell me everything before I’m losing my patience” His firm and daring tone really got Jonghyun on his nerve.

“What are you going to do with your brother –“

“He will be soon transferred to another hospital. You can’t use him against me anymore. So what’s next, Jonghyun-ssi?”

“What I’m going to do next is none of your business.” Jonghyun turned and walked away as he thought he had enough with Kibum.

“They better off without you.” Kibum shouted and Jonghyun wished he was wrong.

***

“Oh, Jonghyun, darling, what time is it now?” Jonghyun’s mother was surprised to see his son at home so early in the afternoon. She expected him to be out all day and only return when he was about to sleep.

“The child is mine.” He whispered.

She didn’t say anything but got up from her seat and rushed to hug her only son.

He hugged her back, burying his face in his mother soft hair.

“So I have a grandson, this is quite exciting.”

“You have no idea how disappointed I am when I heard this from the doctor. Why would anyone keep a child from his father?” Jonghyun asked.

She did not need to be told to know that her son was hurting.

“I don’t know, baby.” She hesitated. “But just like what I’ve said to you, if I have to keep you from your father. It must be either to protect you or him.” She added. “Would you mind telling me what’s actually happening here, darling?”

Jonghyun broke their hug to look straight into her mother’s eyes.

“It’s a long story mom.”

 

 

“What about Saturday? I know a nice spot over the public library that is not so crowded on the weekend.” Jonghyun suggested.

“I can’t on Saturday, what about Sunday afternoon?”

“Sunday is fine.”

“Great! See you on Sunday” Jinki smiled and within few minutes he made his way out of the class.

Jonghyun took his time to pack his bag before leaving. He was walking aimlessly around the cafeteria before spotting his new project mate sitting with Minho and Taemin. Honestly, Jonghyun had never thought he would so much pay attention when he run across any of the three.

They weren’t the most popular kids at school but they were quiet well known. Well, who wouldn’t know Choi Minho? He was one of the school’s most favorite basketball team member. He was the first Jonghyun noticed when he watched their final match back then – when they were still junior – because he was the tallest.

No one knew Taemin nor Jinki – even if some knew, they didn’t care much – up until Minho made it public that he was gay and that Taemin was his boyfriend. Soon he found himself staring a little longer at Minho’s table whenever he was eating in the cafeteria. Well, he was just the normal student who was curious about the gay couple at school. He learnt that – more like the whole school learnt that – Minho would spend his time with Taemin and another one male friend when he wasn’t with team.

Jonghyun also learnt that Taemin was too pretty for a boy. He then kinda understood why Minho went for him, not that he had interest in boys but Taemin was indeed pretty. They were like the hot topic at school for weeks and Jonghyun was surprised by how people react on this news. No bullying whatsoever, well he might witness some students avoid them like a plague and some would talk behind their backs but that was all of it. Jonghyun thought that it might be because Minho had done a lot for their school’s sports team but it also turned out because Taemin was the brightest kid ever, many said so.

They learnt about Jinki so much later. Jinki was Minho’s friend since they were in the middle school. That was it about Jinki. No further talk since no one barely interested in Jinki.

But now, when he saw them, Jonghyun found himself staring most of time at Jinki. He was curious what he did when he was with them. Alright, he knew he would talk with them – and eat – but he now learnt that Jinki seemed to like Taemin a lot, by the way he looked at Taemin and the way he took care of Taemin. He also learnt now that Minho liked Jinki a lot, by the way he clung onto him so much either by brief hugging him or putting an arm around his shoulder. He didn’t even do that to Taemin, his boyfriend. He, too, learnt that it was unusual of him to stare at them this long and thought of them on his lunch time and that he needed to stop.

 

“Hey, sorry I’m late. Thanks for waiting for me.” Jinki said when he found Jonghyun, a little out of breath.

“Never mind, Jinki. Come sit here,” Jonghyun cleared his stuff to make some space for Jinki to sit next to him. They were at the far end of the library where it was extremely quiet nobody barely passed by. Jonghyun learnt that Jinki was a smart kid. He was a lot of help and probably the sole reason the work could be finished in the most effective and efficient way. It was to Jonghyun’s surprise when Jinki said he want to take him to the Starbucks across the street to make it up to Jonghyun. Jonghyun convinced him that he didn’t mind the wait and that he was perfectly fine with it but Jinki insisted.

“The housekeeper left the window open when she did her job and some bugs managed to get in and freaked Taemin out. Lucky she was long gone when the disaster happened, else I would have to deal with frantic Taemin, furious Minho, bugs and a terrified cleaning lady.”

When Jinki turned to see Jonghyun’s lost expression, he face palmed and apologised. “Ah, sorry, you must not understand what I just said. Well, Taemin is afraid of bugs. This is no joke, he hates bugs. It was a complete disaster because Taemin was first to find the bugs and he was screaming at top of his lungs and trembling hard. He hugged me tight the moment he saw me so I had to stay there to calm him down and that left Minho chasing and cursing the bugs alone. It took an hour and a half. I could only leave after Taemin finished his cup of hot chocolate and finally said ‘okay hyung, you must go now’.” Jinki chuckled. “No matter what happen, no one can be upset to Taemin. He is such an endearing person.”

“So you hugged Taemin?”

“Yes”

“When Minho was around?”

Jinki chuckled again as he got where Jonghyun’s questions were going. “Yeah, I’m probably the only one who can have physical contact with Taemin without having Minho glaring at me. I heard of it, that you guys talk about how possessive Minho is with Taemin. That can be true but since I’m his old friend and Taemin likes me a lot and sees me like his big brother, Minho is grateful that I keep Taemin company.”

“Ah… I see.” Jonghyun nodded his head as he digest the new info about the school’s gay couple.

“I’ll introduce you to them some time if we run to each other at school.”

“That’s nice of you but it’s okay though. I mean, you don’t need to.”

“Why?” Jinki’s face was a little down and Jonghyun wasn’t expecting that.

“Well… no particular reason but –“

“Are you against –“

“No… it’s not like that.” Jonghyun cut him back as he didn’t want Jinki to misunderstand. “I’m not against it but it’s just that… well… I tend to avoid any trouble. What if I stare at Taemin too long for Minho’s liking –“

Jinki laughed make Jonghyun stop and rethink if he was being stupid and he thought he was.

“Don’t worry about Minho glaring at you because of Taemin. Worry about what questions he might ask you about me.”

Jonghyun didn’t get it too.

At least, not yet.

 

Jonghyun was being his normal self the next day at school. He ate with his friends, attended his classes, and didn’t cross path with Jinki. He didn’t even think about their convo yesterday. He wasn’t going to see Jinki until Wednesday. They were in different class and only shared that one additional-but-mandatory English class for a semester.

Wednesday came fast and Jinki had Jonghyun tailing behind him after their English class to the school’s yard. He didn’t even get a chance to text his friends first and was pretty much irritated with Jinki’s strangeness that day.

But he got the answer when he saw Minho and Taemin sitting under the big tree with some lunch boxes looking at them. Well, Taemin was looking at them but Minho was definitely glaring at him.

“Jonghyun, please meet Minho and Taemin. Minho, Taemin-ah, this is Jonghyun.” Jonghyun wondered if Jinki was aware that he was the only one excited with this whole introduction thing because he could tell none of the three was.

Jonghyun greeted them with a simple hi. Taemin responded with a flashy smile and even offered a handshake Jonghyun hesitantly returned because damn Minho with his glares.

“Minho.” was the only thing he said when Jonghyun turned to him. Jonghyun didn’t know what he did wrong so far but he was grateful Minho hadn’t punch him yet.

“Since we don’t run into each other so often, I decide to just take you to a lunch break with us so I can introduce you to them.” Jinki said as he started distributing the lunch boxes. “I prepare a lunch box for you too.”

“Well, Jinki, thanks but isn’t it too much?” Jonghyun opened his box and it had rolled eggs, spicy bulgogi, and fried shrimp.

“Even if you don’t join us today, Jinki hyung would still cook all of these for us so don’t think about it too much and start eating your share.”

It startled Jonghyun how straightforward Taemin was. But he tried to not say anything about it.

“Alright then… thanks for the meal, Jinki.” he said as he took his chopsticks. Minho had started eating. Taemin helped Jinki with the shared dishes, like soup, kimchi, and fried tofu. “Did you cook all of this on your own?” Jonghyun asked because he was a bit amazed with their meals.

“Yes, with Taemin’s help.”

“I helped too, hyung. I cut the tofu.”

“Minho-ah, don’t start. Here eat some kimchi” Jinki put some kimchi on Minho’s box and Minho gave him defeated look where Jinki returned with a chuckle.

Jonghyun didn’t really get it. Minho’s unfriendliness and Jinki’s attempts to chill him out. So Jonghyun opted to sit and watch them while enjoying Jinki’s homemade meals which was tasty as hell.

Jinki assisted Taemin in almost everything Jonghyun started to think if he was his babysitter. Jinki hyung this, Jinki hyung that, but Jonghyun kinda understood why Jinki didn’t get sick of it. Taemin was indeed adorable. He shared a story during his PE class. From the way Taemin speak, Jonghyun could instantly know how adorable the boy could be and that he was loved by many people. Jinki was attending the story so wholeheartedly and gave proper response while Minho would just smile and ruffle his hair. He could tell Minho love Taemin a lot from the way he look at Taemin, it was obviously dripping with love and admiration. In short, Taemin was like the Prince and Minho was his knight in shining armor and Jinki was the maid who raised him and whom he trust.

“Jonghyun-ah, did you have high jump test too this week?” Jinki abruptly asked him, trying to get him into their convo.

“Yeah, it was on Monday”

“Did you pass?”

“Yes, with minimum score, thanks to my friends.”

“Why thanks to your friends?” Taemin spoke up and Jonghyun just wished he didn’t.

“Well, I’ve never been good with PE so I need a little help with this and that from my friend –“

“You cheated, didn’t you?”

Jonghyun once again was struck by Taemin’s words he was left speechless. Minho snickered. And Jinki was surprised.

“You must be in shock. Here have some water.” Jinki passed him the water bottle which he took right away. “Taemin has a knack on getting the truth out of other people just by looking at them or listening to them talk. It happens sometimes.”

“What a creep.” Jonghyun whispered.

“I’m not a creep” Taemin whined.

“I’ve spared you so much by letting Jinki hyung get friendly on you but in return you said my boyfriend is a creep?” Minho’s tone was low and threatening.

“Guys, Jonghyun is my guest. He is here because I make him to. Please be nice to him.”

Jinki’s words were like magic because both of them grabbed their chopsticks and started eating again.

“I’m not a creep, though”

“No baby, you’re talented.”

“I’m sorry Taemin-ssi. I didn’t mean that.”

 

Jonghyun was so tired from the lunch session earlier he rejected his friends’ offer for a movie night, saying he wasn’t interested and wanted to sleep. He parted ways with his friends and was on his way to his locker and later found Taemin leaning on his locker.

“Before you start judging me, some girls from your class told me that you came here occasionally before you leave and I’m just lucky to succeed on my first attempt.”

Jonghyun sighed. “Taemin-ssi, I don’t know wht you’re here but I really am tired and don’t want anything to do with you and Minho. I’m just trying to be polite toward Jinki.”

“I know. I can tell. I want you to know that Minho hyung likes Jinki hyung so much. Minho hyung doesn’t like to share Jinki hyung with anyone he doesn’t approve because Jinki hyung is so fragile and he doesn’t want him to get hurt. But Jinki hyung seems to like you a lot it scares me. So I’m here to warn you to please leave him alone. You have enough friends already. You don’t need Jinki hyung anyway.”

“Taemin-ssi, that was a sincere and thoughtful warning from you. I’m… I’m sure Jinki is happy to have a friend like you but… I don’t know… why are you even scared of Jinki liking me? I mean, it’s normal when you like people and want to befriend them. And I don’t see why I have to leave him alone, Jinki is a nice person and I want to be his friend if there is a chance. I’m not a bad person nor a bad influence nor a criminal so please, don’t worry.” Jonghyun pushed Taemin off his locker so he could get the stuff he needed.

“You can be nice, exuding positive vibes and an exemplary person and still hurt him.”

Jonghyun turned around and saw Taemin hanging his head low, fingers fiddling with his shirt.

“Why you even think I’m going to hurt him is beyond me. I only talked to him twice!”

Jonghyun looked away and saw Minho approaching. “Your boyfriend is coming. That’s my cue to go. I can’t handle another round with any of you.”

“If you ever hurt him, I’m gonna take him away from you.”

Jonghyun didn’t turn. He held his hand up and waved.