Six

That Man's Child

Things didn’t go easy for Jonghyun later at the hospital that day. When he went to Jongki’s room after leaving Kibum’s, he was welcomed with upset Jongki whining about his hurting head while the doctor and a couple of nurses changed his bandage. He spotted Mrs. Park at the end of the bed, trying to calm the kid down. When she noticed him standing by the door, she immediately greeted him and asked him to enter. She then explained that Jongki was just making a little fuss and that it was normal for children to do so.

Jonghyun however couldn’t hold himself back watching the kid whimpering in pain so he asked the doctor if they could do it without causing too much pain for Jongki. He silently prayed for them to finish faster. When the bandage had been changed, the doctor gave him a candy in which Jongki rudely threw off. That was the clue for Jonghyun to thank the doctor and nurses and asked them to leave already. Once they were out of the room, Jonghyun scooted closer to Jongki and began to comfort the boy. Then again, Jongki seemed to not going to stop anytime soon.

When the clock hit 3 PM, Mrs. Park apologized to Jonghyun as she couldn’t continue staying in the hospital. If it wasn’t for her daughter who was going to be at home around 4, she would have stayed with them for sure. After her departure, Jongki could only get worse as he now wanting his dad. He kept asking Jonghyun where his dad was and why he wasn’t there which left Jonghyun baffled on how to deal with this kind of situation. Jonghyun was feeling so hopeless for not able to console the boy and wished for Jinki to come faster.

It was around 6 when Jinki showed up at the door and Jongki broke into tears. Confused as to why his child began crying, Jinki made his way to his boy and brought him into a hug.

“Hey, what happened?” Jinki calmly asked.

“He got his bandage changed and hasn’t stopped whimpering since then.” Jonghyun explained. Jongki held his arms open, wanting Jinki to hold him which the elder granted. Jongki wrapped his arms around Jinki’s neck and his legs draped around Jinki’s torso.

“The doctor did something bad, appa.”

“The doctor has to change your bandage so the wound will heal faster and Jongki can go home. Don’t you want to go home?”

“But it hurts.”

“It hurts a little but it will go away soon if only Jongki be a good boy.”

“Appa, don’t go to work tomorrow.”

Jinki sighed. He knew this state so well. Jongki was just putting an act so he would stay with him all day. But Jinki wouldn’t spoil the boy. “Appa has to go work, baby.”

The cries got louder when he heard that which led to Jonghyun glaring to the older.

“If you won’t stay with me, then call Papa and tell him to stay with Jongki.”

Jonghyun shot him a questioning look and there was a moment of silence as Jinki stood frozen at his spot, thinking the best way to respond to his child’s rant.

“You know, you know Papa can’t be here, right? Papa is so busy that he can’t be here with you.” Jonghyun noted the wavering tone on his hyung’s voice when he explained it to Jongki.

“Tell him Jongki is very sick.”

“Papa is too far away from here, darling. Jongki will probably be healthy at home when he arrives here. Papa just can’t be here, okay?”

“But you say Papa loves me.”

“Sure, Papa loves Jongki a lot.”

There the cycle Jinki hated so much repeated once again. He hated this pattern. He hated when Jongki started seeking his other father because it meant he had to lie to his child. Jongki was a smart child; he used Jinki’s own lies against him. Then Jinki had to create another lie to shut him up which Jinki not favored at all. He knew someday Jongki would find out that it was all lies and he was afraid, so afraid that Jongki would hate him if he knew the truth.

 

“Why are you lying to an innocent kid like that?” Jonghyun’s tone was sharp. Jinki was fully aware that the younger was, for some reason, displeased with what he said to Jongki.

Jinki then put the sleeping boy down on the bed before dealing with Jonghyun.

“That’s none of your business, I guess.”

“Who is this Papa he’s talking about?”

“That’s also something you should not be concerning yourself about.”

“How long you’re planning to go like this, hyung?” Jonghyun had completely pissed off right now, Jinki could tell. “How long you intend to hide everything that happened to you while you’re gone? Aren’t we friends?” Jinki didn’t fail to catch the disappointment the younger might be feeling right now.

“I’ve told you that there is nothing you need to know, Jonghyun.”

“There is so much I need to know, hyung. I need to know why you leave that damn morning. I need to know how on earth you have a child. I need to know why Jongki doesn’t have a mother. I need to know the Papa Jongki’s talking about. I need to know why you never tell me anything.”

“If I tell you what happen to me, what are you going to do?” Jinki asked back, in which made Jonghyun taken aback. He did not prepare for this. “Tell me, Jonghyun, what are you going to do if I tell you everything?”

“I will, I will help you.” Jonghyun stammered, not knowing what exactly to say.

“Do I look like I need a help from you? Not saying that I don’t need any help from you, it’s just that I’ve been doing fine with Jongki, without you knowing my story.”


An update after a long time! <3

Sorry for making you guys waiting this long.

This chapter is short, though. I hope I can write a bit longer for you guys on the next chapter.

Pardon any mistakes as I didn't reread this.

Thank you for the lovely comments on the previous chapter <3

See you~