Chapter 4: Tempo

Of Love and Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was that dream again. It was the night of a showcase and a big name in music was going to be there. Shin Hye looked at herself in the mirror and applied her make-up skillfully. She hair was pinned up with diamond hairpins and her white dress ran the length of her body and fell in a delicate puddle of silk to the floor around her. The pearl necklace her mother had given her to wear went perfectly with the earrings she had gotten for her 12th birthday. She took a deep breath and started doing vocal exercises.

            “Shin Hye-shi, is your dad coming to this showcase?” One of her friends asked.

            “I don’t know and I don’t care. As long as my mom is coming that’s all that matters. Now stop talking and finish up. You go on first.” Shin Hye said smiling and standing to make sure her dress was fitting right. She was about to slip on her shoes when her phone buzzed in her purse. She dug it out and held it to her ear, “Yeoboseo? Eomma, where are you? The show is about to start.”

            “I’m sorry, dear. I couldn’t find my earrings. I’m on my way now.” Her mother said frantically into the receiver. Shin Hye heard the car door close and rolled her eyes.

            “It’s raining, so don’t rush too much. Just be here on time for me, okay?” Shin Hye said as she slipped on her shoes.

            “Al--eo!” Her mother said gently and hung up the phone. Shin Hye shook her head and checked herself once more before going to get her favorite peppermint tea from the backstage café. She was about to finish her first cup when her phone buzzed again. “Eomma, are you here?”

            “I’m sorry, this woman has been in an accident! This was the last number she called! We’re taking her to the hospital as we speak!” An unfamiliar voice said into Shin Hye’s ear.

            “Who is this? Where is my mother?!” Shin Hye exclaimed standing up and knocking her cup to the floor.

            “She’s being taken to the Samsung Medical Center as we speak. I’m following behind the ambulance now. Could you meet us there?” The v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter