Chapter 16: F-Sharp

Of Love and Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye sat in the cafe flipping through the notebook for the hundredth time since she found it at the school. The songs ranged from graphic and vulgar, to full of pain and regret. She found herself engrossed in every half-step and quarter rest. She turned to the song that had spoken to her the most. This song was different from the others. It was not all marked up and the notes that were written on the crudely drawn staff were clumsy as though the person writing them could not get his ideas on the paper fast enough. The lyrics dripped with loss and struggle. These emotions were ones Shin Hye knew well.

She had begun humming the melody when her father appeared beside her table. She closed the notebook and placed it carefully back in her bag. She got to her feet and met her father's gaze with a forced smile. She was seeing her father properly for the first time. His eyes looked weary and his normally straight stature was more hunched. She had noted his age when he visited her in the hospital, but she did not know he had aged to this extent. His once sharp eyes seemed dulled by life's harsh realities and his laugh lines were nothing more than wrinkles caused by iron sighs. She had known her mother was 12 years younger than her dad when they married, but still, he was not the man from her memories at all.

"Shin Hye, did you wait long?" He asked motioning for her to sit as he took his own seat across from her.

"I just got here. How are you feeling?" Shin Hye asked trying not to look at all the wasted years that seemed to etch themselves onto her father's face.

"I'm a bit tired, but I couldn't miss this chance to make things right with you." He answered waving the waitress over. They ordered coffee and sat in silence waiting for the other to say something. It was the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter