Oh Se Hun

I'm in love with a thief

I dragged the bucket of cleaning equipment behind me while following Mr Nice Man, staring at the back of his soles as we walk.

He suddenly stopped to face me.

“Are you from my class?” He asked.

“Ah?” I looked around to realize we were standing in front of Class 101. “No no no, I’m from Class 103.”

“Then why are you following me?”

What do I say? That I’m too concentrated thinking about how to strike a conversation that I followed him unknowingly?

“Ha ha…. Many hands make light work, right? I thought we could team up to finish this more quickly.”

He nodded and went into Class 101 before me.

 

“My name is Oh Sun Hee and I’m from Class 103. I just moved from Gangdong yesterday. What about you?” I asked Mr Nice man who was cleaning the windows on the other side of the classroom.

“I’m Oh Se Hun, Class 101. I lived in Gangnam all my life.”

“Oh… Do you have any hobbies?”

“I play tennis.”

Our conversation continued this way, with him answering whatever I asked, but nothing more.

“By any chance…. Are you angry at me for stealing your excuse today morning?” I asked softly.

He turned around to look at me, as if confused why that thought would cross my mind.

“No, I’m not. But I’d advise you not to do it again because it’s not good to lie.” He replied, monotonously as usual.

Is… is this really how a normal 16 year old teen should react…?


We finished cleaning up at 7p.m. and bided farewell at the main gate, but turned towards the same direction.

“Look like we’re heading the same way! Let’s walk together then.” I tried to make it sound as coincidental as possible, although I couldn’t hide my cheery tone.

Through little chats (more like he’s my interviewee) on our way home, I found out that he’s the only child and lives alone since he was 13 after his grandmother passed away. (While he was reminiscing the times with his grandmother, I was cursing his parents for leaving him with her since birth as they ‘were busy with their business in the States and would have no time for him’.) He is a simple guy who likes to play tennis with his friends, if not read books and cook.

Basically, he is the exact opposite of me. The only thing I can cook is instant cup noodles, and the only book I know was facebook. I was a hyperactive kid since I was young, so most of my childhood was spent climbing my neighbour’s trees or exploring the town on my four-wheeled bicycle. He, on the other hand, spent his childhood accompanying his grandmother, having tea with her and occasionally reading her books when her poor eyesight had forbidden her to do so.


After he mentioned his grandmother, he kept quiet for the rest of the way home. I didn’t continue asking about him as he seemed lost in his thoughts.

“Goodbye friend, see you tomorrow in school.” I said as I reached my apartment.

I gaped at the familiar figure that followed me into the lift.

He really didn’t have to send me home... After all, it’s only 7p.m. and my housing estate is relatively safe. Additionally, I am quite a good fighter due to all the trouble I got myself into. But… what is this warm feeling in my heart…? Is he just being gentleman..? Or can I take it as he’s being protective of me?

Upon reaching my unit, I started, “Se Hun ah…. Thank you for sending me home.” I lowered my head as I felt myself blush. “You really didn’t have to, but I guess I look like a frail girl, so you’ll naturally feel protective of me… Ha ha… I”

I didn’t get to finish my sentence because I heard a laugh from above.

“You don’t have to say thank you. I was just walking home.”

“Ah?” I am genuinely confused.

“You don’t look weak at all, Sun Hee.” He looked like he was still trying to hold his laughter in when he bowed slightly and turned around to enter the unit opposite mine.

What… just happened? I just thought too much and flattered myself…?

*repeated face palm*