Pencils and Progress

Fix You
 
 
Despite warnings from his doctors, Himchan returned to work immediately after being released from the hospital. He loved his job more than anything. Sometimes, it felt like his job was the only thing keeping him sane. 
 
Himchan's students welcomed him back with bright eyes and big smiles. He had only missed one day of school, and yet his students acted as if he had been gone for two years. It really touched his heart to see that they cared about him so much. 
 
At lunch, Junhong approached Himchan at his desk. 
 
"Seonsaeng, my brother wanted you to know that he is coming this afternoon. Did you have something planned. Am I in trouble?" Junhong asked, his voice showing the worry that his face didn't. 
 
"No, you're not in trouble, Junhong," Himchan reassured him. 
 
Though I fear I may be he thought, panic spreading through his body. 
 
After school was over, Himchan nervously glanced to the clock in anticipation of Yongguk's arrival. 
 
A knock on the door came then, and Yongguk stepped into the classroom. As Yongguk walked over to his desk and pulled up a chair, Himchan couldn't help but notice that Yongguk had showed up at the exact same time as when they had first met. 
 
"Did you need something?" Himchan asked, coming off ruder than intended. 
 
"I just came to check on you and this is the thanks I get?" Yongguk asked, feigning hurt complete with gasping and clasping his hand over his heart. 
 
Himchan rolled his eyes at Yongguk's theatrics. 
 
"Is that all you wanted? Just to check up on me?" Himchan asked suspiciously. 
 
"My, you're a sharp one, Kim Himchan," Yongguk said, snapping and pointing at Himchan with a cheesy grin. 
 
"If you do one more cheesy thing, I'm kicking you out," Himchan warned. 
 
Yongguk laughed before putting in his therapist face. 
 
"In all seriousness, though, I'm here to push you. If you have a breakdown everytime you touch something dirty, you're never going to make any progress," Yongguk told him. 
 
Himchan was slightly offended. 
 
"But I just got of the hospital," Himchan pointed out. 
 
"And I don't care. As your friend, it is my job to help you every step if the way in getting over your mysophobia," Yongguk told him. 
 
"This is not something a normal friend does," Himchan said. 
 
"Well, I'm not normal," Yongguk countered. 
 
"But-" Himchan began. 
 
"Look. I came all this way to see you have a personal victory. I don't care how long it takes, I will be right by your side, okay?" Yongguk promised. 
 
"What do I have to do?" Himchan asked nervously. 
 
"You pick. You could touch the doorknob, or hold my hand, or you could hold this pencil right here. Whatever you do, you have to do it without gloves," Yongguk said. 
 
Himchan weighed his options. 
 
That doorknob was utterly filthy, anyone and everyone had touched that thing. 
 
He had already held Yongguk's hand, not even for a full second before he had a panic attack. 
 
The pencil seemed harmless. Himchan wasn't sure if anyone had even touched the pencil recently. It seemed like his best bet. 
 
He pointed at the pencil and then looked at Yongguk for approval. As Himchan began peeling off his gloves at an excruciating pace, he pretended to miss the disappointment in Yongguk's eyes at his decision. 
 
After his gloves were fully off, Himchan shakily reached for the pencil. He placed it in his hand and rolled it around in his palm. 
 
"Hold it for at least five seconds," Yongguk commanded. 
 
Himchan complied and held the pencil. The wood of the pencil felt cold against his sensitive and cracked skin. Though he had held a pencil countless times, the weight and feel if it felt completely different on bare skin. 
 
"Himchan?" Yongguk spoke up, interrupting Himchan's thoughts. 
 
"Yes?" he asked. 
 
"It's been twenty seconds," Yongguk said straight faced. 
 
Himchan looked at him dumfoundedly. 
 
"Really?" he croaked. 
 
Yongguk broke into a smile and nodded his head. 
 
"And that, sir, is what I like to call progress."
 
A/n:
Chapter 10 is up! Thank you for subscribing and commenting! Much love!