Chapter 6

Marry Him If You Dare

The smell of eggs frying greeted Minseok as he woke up to his alarm blaring – his body acutely feeling his lack of sleep. Minseok dragged himself out of bed reluctantly, making his way towards the smell of food like he was in a trance.

Luhan was standing in the kitchen, wearing the one apron that Minseok owned- a lime green polka dotted monstrosity that Lizzy had gifted him when he had moved out of his parents’ house. Luhan turned and smiled at Minseok when he walked into the kitchen, a complete three hundred and sixty degree difference from the night before. Minseok would be lying if he said it didn’t make him happy.

“Hungry?” Luhan asked, holding up a plate of eggs, “I don’t know how you like your eggs but I thought I would guess.”

“I like them fried.” Minseok smiled. He knew he looked like a mess, his hair askew, his grey t-shirt and plaid pajama pants probably full of wrinkles from nonstop tossing and turning. Yet he wasn’t self-conscious, which was weird and very unlike him.

“Good. Then chef Luhan will have your breakfast in a minute.” Luhan began singing a Chinese song softly as he continued cooking, Minseok sitting down at the breakfast bar watching him, finding the sight endearing and more than a little attractive.

“Minseok?”

“Hmmm?” Minseok asked, reaching for a cup to pour coffee.

“You were right last night and I was wrong. But I was also kind of right – you need to lighten up. Oh, and figure out why you want me here.”

Minseok stiffened at the words, even if they were true. “I am sorry Luhan. I thought about it and, well, it sounds bad but I want you here because I think you are cute. I like you, but it is too early to say where this is going. I think that is only fair.”

“It is fair. y.” Luhan presented a plate of eggs and toast. Minseok was happy for the food but even happier Luhan had thrown out a erted moniker because maybe things were back to normal between them.

Minseok took a bite of the eggs, practically at the taste. It was perfect. “This is amazing Luhan.”

“I could make you moan like that in other ways.” Luhan answered, taking his own bite of eggs and toast. Minseok blushed, yeah things were back to normal. “Oh, and you owe me a date. You are my boyfriend after all and you haven’t done anything but jet me off to the big city and yell at me.”

Yes, definitely back to normal, whatever their “normal” was.” Where do you want to go?” Minseok asked, finding the question very easy. Why did Luhan make things that should be hard easy?

“Dinner. You can pick.” Luhan took another bite “Tonight though. If we are going to figure this out, whatever this is, we should do it soon.”

Minseok agreed, “Pick you up after work.”

Luhan nodded, “I will be ready and waiting” Somehow the way he said the words had Minseok blushing all over again.

***

Lee Kwang Soo walked into Monday Enterprises like he owned the place. Why not- his noona and hyung did and they thought the world of him. Well, unless he was doing something stupid, then they just hit him on the head and cursed him out. But this time was different, he had a great idea to present to the board. A multimillion dollar shiny idea, so he should have his head held high and his strides wide and confident.

When Lee Kwang Soo entered the board room it was already full. Then he was hit in the head.

“Yah! The meeting was scheduled for 8, it is 8:30!” Ji Hyo hit his head first, followed by Gary and in quick succession by four angry hyungs. His four nephews and the rest of the board just looked on, used to the semi violent (but oddly affectionate) display by now.

“Sorry! Traffic!” Kwang Soo lied through his teeth. Was it really not at 8:30? He could have sworn…

Kwang Soo decided to not let his mistake bother him as he brought up his presentation and launched into his too-good-to-be true speech.

“So you see, the Monday Mall will not only revitalize this otherwise blighted inner city neighborhood but it will also act as one of the largest solar power producers in Seoul. All power we can sell back to the power companies with attractive margins.”

JI Hyo and Gary looked over the paperwork carefully, not bothering to make eye contact with their dongsaeng. After a few moments they put the idea to a vote. Kwang Soo held his breathe, holding his hands to his face in nervous anticipation.

“I am only voting this way to see him fail.” He heard Suk Jin whisper to Jae Suk who smiled and voted the same way. Finally the vote was in.

“The motion to develop Monday Mall has been approved.”Gary announced. The room clapped, Kwang Soo launched into a thank you speech, which Ji Hyo quickly put an end to.

“I would like to announce the project manager for Monday Mall. Kang Sehun, this will be your first project as a lead.” Ji Hyo announced, practically glowing as she looked at her youngest son (her baby as she liked to call him).

Ji Hyo’s baby felt like throwing up. But he was Sehun so instead he looked cheerful and like he had been expecting this all along. He ignored the fact his hyungs all looked more than a little surprised and a bit disgusted at the announcement.

After the board meeting ended Sehun questioned his parents as to their choice.

“Because you will do great, right my little baby?” Ji Hyo cooed.

“If you don’t I will kill you.” Kyungsoo shot Sehun a death glare.

Sehun accepted his fate and left the board room, finding Tao waiting for him back at his office.

“How did it go?” Tao asked, busy filing the huge stack of reports that Sehun had neglected over the last year.

“I am in charge of the Mall project.” Sehun answered glumly.

“That is great! You will do great!” Tao seemed genuinely happy at the announcement, “Sehun is the coolest and handsomest when he is doing well.”

Sehun suddenly liked the idea of managing the project, and ninety nine percent of that feeling had to do with Tao talking about him being handsome when success was involved. Because it had not escaped Sehun’s notice that Tao looked great in Sehun’s suit. Tao had stayed at a hotel the night before but had nothing to wear to the office, which is where Sehun’s closet came in. And damn if Tao didn’t look spectacular in that navy suit. Sehun, who was about to give up on operation Tao after the night before, found that navy suit and some encouragement could go a long way towards being fully dedicated to operation Tao. A long way.

***

The music was loud, the lights were pulsating. The place was warm, the product of so many bodies packed so tightly together. The walls seemed to shake.

“I hate this kind of thing.” Kyungsoo pulled at the collar of his black and white silk shirt, hating the fact that Chanyeol had talked him into coming here.

After the disastrous dates Suho and Kyungsoo had experienced through the matchmaker they had decided to take matters into their own hands – which of course involved taking Chanyeol’s advice again. Suho was seriously starting to question how much they could trust their executive assistant, especially now that he had to sweet talk a bouncer into being admitted into a club.

Chanyeol had said it would be the easiest, easier than a matchmaker. Go to a club, look good, and talk to people. They didn’t even have to drink, just get out and mingle. They would be sure to get at least a few phone numbers from the outing.

That evening, after calling it a day at the office, Suho and Kyungsoo had met up at Suho’s apartment and dug through his closet. Chanyeol was on face time, checking their selection with care.

“I can’t see, hold the peon closer!” Chanyeol shouted as Kyungsoo commented on how gaudy the outfit was.

“Why can’t you just come over?” Suho asked in frustration.

“Just hold the phone closer!” Chanyeol instructed, moving his face closer to his own phone like that would help.  “If you want to look like an unfashionable prick dress in that. Next.”

It went on like that for a while before Kyungsoo found himself dressed in tight (far tighter than he would normally wear) black pants and a black and white silk shirt that he thought made him look like a leftover from the 80s. Suho was no better- he ended up in jeans that were too short in his opinion, fully showing his ankles, too tight in his opinion, and a black sweater that made him itchy without his familiar undershirt.

“Now go get em boys!” Chanyeol gave them a ‘fighting’ before hanging up. Kyungsoo and his older brother just sighed, resigned themselves to their fate, and made their way to the club that Chanyeol had suggested.

Once inside they both felt extremely uncomfortable. The dance floor was hopping, guys and girls were dancing in all states of dress, and drinks were flowing. And there was no sense of peace, quiet, or subtlety in the place. It was going to be a long night.

***

Minseok loved French cuisine so the choice was easy. He took Luhan to his favorite French restaurant, a nice palce with amazing ambiance. And he had made the wrong choice.

Luhan squirmed, looking uncomfortable. He had trouble with the menu. He tried the wine but talked about how much he liked beer better. When Minseok talked about the way the salmon was grilled Luhan asked about salmon burgers, which Minseok had never had. It was not Luhan’s cup of tea that was for sure.

Minseok had arrived back at the apartment a little after seven o’clock to find Luhan dressed in a button down shirt and slacks. Luhan in a button down shirt and slacks was ing great to look at, so great to look at Minseok had to try and not stare.

“Are you going to change?” Luhan asked, looking Minseok up and down. He was dressed in his boring grey suit that he had worn to the office.

“Probably not.” Minseok answered, “Ready?”

With that they were off, the drive to the restaurant slowed by the evening traffic. The valet had parked the car, Minseok had remembered to open the door for his date. He even pulled out Luhan’s chair, which Luhan responded to by batting Minseok’s hands away “I can get it.”

When the food arrived Luhan picked at his plate but tried to be cheerful “Minseok, what do you like to do for fun? I mean, besides working?” He had already picked up on the fact that Mr. Corporate powerhouse got off on work.

“Uh, well.” Minseok thought about it, hard “Like I said before I like soccer and coffee. Oh, I like to read too. Children’s books though” Minseok blushed at admitting this fact. He didn’t often tell this to people, because it was kind of embarrassing. What adult male read kid’s books for fun? But he did – there was something about the compact stories, the simple messages, and the illustrations that made him a bit happy.

“I like children’s books too!” Luhan smiled, taking a bite of his meal and then grimacing “Sorry.” Luhan was truly apologetic that he didn’t like the food because he was pretty sure Minseok had tried to think of a nice place for their date.

“That’s okay.” Minseok felt a bit carefree at Luhan’s admission.

“Hey, um, when we are done we should go out for a drink.” Luhan suggested, back to picking at his food.

“Sure.” Minseok agreed readily.

***

“Is that Mom and Dad?!” Kyungsoo’s face contorted as he took in the sight. Suho, who was standing next to him, gasped. In the middle of the pulsating dance floor stood – well danced to be more accurate – their middle aged parents. The other club goers surrounding them and cheered them on as they danced.

“I feel sick.” Suho put a hand over his mouth for dramatic effect. Like magic the song finished and Gary and Ji Hyo stopped dancing, leaving the dance floor and making eye contact with their two middle children just as said children tried to merge back into the crowd and escape detection.

“Kids!” Ji Hyo shouted, out of breath “I didn’t know you guys liked clubs?”

“I didn’t know you guys liked clubs.” Kyungsoo muttered, eyeing his parents suspiciously.

“Since before we were married. Isn’t that right Mong Ji” Gary answered, nuzzling his wife, making his sons let out frustrated and disgusted noises.

“Hey, I think I saw your friends here” Ji Hyo pointed towards the far end of the dance floor “Jongdae and Baekhyun were over there talking to someone.”

Kyungsoo and Suho both stiffened at this news. Without more than a goodbye they left their parents to – to whatever their parents were going to do next. Crossing the dance floor they approached the far end of the bar, easily identifying Jongdae and Baekhyun standing at the end of the bar talking to someone. As they neared they caught the fact that the man they were talking to was holding Jongdae’s arm.

“Yah, let him go.” Baekhyun made a step forward, towards the man.

Something in Suho snapped, something he didn’t know he possessed. He strode up to the man, the much taller, stronger looking man, and pushed him away from Jongdae.

“Who in the hell are you?” The man asked, glaring down at Suho.

“Yah! It is the cannibal!” Kyungsoo shouted as he recognized the man as the same individual who was his date from the night before, causing half of the people in their immediate vicinity to turn and stare despite the loud music.

Suho pushed the man and grabbed Jongdae’s hand, running out as Kyungsoo and Baekhyun led the way, threading through the dancing mass. They didn’t even notice as they ran past their parents, who watched them escape fondly.

“Aww, they sure are growing up.” Gary put his arm around Ji Hyo’s waist, watching his son’s run for their lives.

“Hmm. Oppa- let’s dance!” Ji Hyo led the way as Hot Issue began to play. She knew this dance. She had this dance. She was a master.

***

The food tent was largely deserted by the time Luhan and Minseok arrived. Luhan had barely eaten dinner, Minseok had stopped eating when he realized Luhan wasn’t interested in the food. Now they were busy chowing down on street food, taking shots of soju.

“I like this, don’t you?” Luhan asked, breathing in deeply like the combination of fried food, cheap liquor, and the night air were cathartic to him.

“Yeah, it is okay.” Minseok took a shot, looking around. To be honest he hadn’t really spent a lot of time in places like this, but he couldn’t say it was horrible or anything.

“You need to get out more Minseok.” Luhan offered Minseok some fish cakes, feeding him as he continued “You lead kind of a stuffy life.”

Minseok chewed, speaking with his mouth full “I know. I just don’t really hang out with anyone.”

“Well now you have me.” Luhan seemed happy about this fact, he refilled Minseok’s glass “Love shot?”

Minseok had only seen love shots on television or at work parties when his subordinates were far too drunk o care. He had never taken one himself. But this time he agreed. Why did Luhan make him feel at ease? How could someone he knew for so little time make him feel so free?

Luhan made sure both of their glasses were full and then offered his arm, Minseok linking his arm with Luhan’s. They downed their drink, both feeling the bite of the liquor.

“You know something Minseok?” Luhan filled their glasses again, “I really want to see you .”

Minseok blinked twice, then grinned “I know.”

“And I want to see you under me.” Luhan took his drink like he had just commented on the weather not ing Minseok’s brains out.

Minseok was blushing. Why did he blush now when Luhan talked like this? What happened to the panic? What happened to wanting to run away, what happened to thinking that he had found a difficult solution to an impossible contest?

Luhan grinned, pushing Minseok’s shoulder playfully before standing up “I need to run to the bathroom. Be right back.”

Minseok took a drink, watching the Chinese man walk out of the tent and towards the closest public restroom. Almost as soon as Luhan was out of sight a loud ringing sounded. It was Luhan’s phone, left on the table.

Minseok peeked at it, seeing that the person calling was tagged as “Parents”. Minseok realized that Luhan had yet to talk about his parents. While Minseok had taken the time to at least describe his parents and their lives in a cursory way Luhan hadn’t said a word. So when Luhan made his way back to the table, Minseok asked the question.

“You have a missed call. Your parents.” Minseok tried to gauge Luhan’s reaction, when the man looked calm and disinterested Minseok asked “So, what do your parents do?”

“They are business people, own half of China.” Luhan picked up his phone to see if he had a voice mail, continuing to speak “They had some kind of legal dispute with your parents some years ago, guess they hate each other” Luhan ended it at that.

The only sound Minseok could make was a choking sound as he spit half of his Soju on the table. Well damn, that was not what he was expecting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n- There you have it- tis the fist glimpse of Lu’s parents. This should make things interesting…and Monday Couple at the club – yeah, I can see it.

Thank you for subscribing, thank you for voting, thank you for commenting, and thank you for reading! I really appreciate it! Let me know what you think of the story thus far- feedback, good or bad, is always welcome!