Chapter 17

Marry Him If You Dare

“Big plans for the weekend?”

Baekhyun looked up from his desk to see Bobby looming over him, a smug look on his face.

“No.” Baekhyun responded, wanting nothing more than to have Bobby turn around and go back to work.

“Oh? I heard through the grapevine you are as good as official with the Choi’s daughter.” Bobby shot love bullets and winked “So-“He leaned in closer, lowering his tone “Have you guys done it yet? Is she any good?”

“Yah!” Baekhyun swatted the younger man away, reviled at the question and the images it conjured up.

“I was just asking- you don’t have to get so upset about it!” Bobby backed off, rolling his eyes at Baekhyun as he walked away.

Baekhyun sighed. So the gossip was already around the law firm. He half supposed his own father was spreading the news – his parents were so overjoyed with the fact their only child had a girlfriend finally. It would be a major complication if Kyungsoo learned of it through gossip, the only problem was that Kyungsoo hearing about it at all spelled disaster. He knew his boyfriend would hate the fact he was hiding their relationship behind a fake girlfriend. Which meant he had to deal with this carefully. Which in his mind meant later- he would deal with it later.

***

“I look good, don’t I?” Sehun teased, staring at the picture over Tao’s shoulder.

The photographer had gotten the proof shots to Tao a few days back. Tao hadn’t had time to review the photographs until now due to being busy…with other things. Things like making out with Sehun in the living room, making out with Sehun in the bedroom, making out with Sehun in the hallway. Important things.

After a cup of coffee and a shared piece of toast, Sehun had practically dragged Tao to his laptop. “I want to see how my pictures turned out!”

Tao had obliged, opening the file. He clicked through the dozens of shots until Sehun’s started.

“You were so awkward in the beginning. Cute!” Tao gushed, pointing at some of the first pictures taken of Sehun. It was clear to anyone viewing them Sehun was uncomfortable and tense.

“You think I am cute, huh?” Sehun bent down, putting his hand over where Tao’s rested on the mouse he scrolled down. “Look at that- now that is a y picture!”

Tao laughed “Hmm. Might just have to make this one my background.”

Sehun, for all of his egotistical comments, still felt a bit self-conscious. He blushed “So are you going to let me model in your next fashion show?”

“What?” Tao looked perplexed “Why?”

“Because I am the hottest model you will ever meet?”

Tao rolled his eyes “If you devleop a better attitude I might consider it.”

“Yah!” Sehun pouted.

“Like I said, you are cute.” Tao reached up, cupping Sehun’s face in his hands he planted a peck on Sehun’s lips “Now stop being too adorable and go to work.”

Sehun grumbled. That was right – it was a workday. “Are you free tonight?”

“Nana is coming over for a fitting.” Tao explained, going back to reviewing the photos.

“Oh.” Sehun tried not to sound disappointed; he failed miserably.

“But you can come over after she leaves if you want.” Tao offered. Sehun perked up. It was a date.

***

Yixing picked at his salad, ignoring the world around him- including his lunch date.

“Are you okay?” Minseok asked, concerned that the usually cheery secretary was so depressed. No doubt it had a lot to do with the revelation of his parentage.

“Hyung – I need you to do me a favor.” Yixing stopped stabbing his salad and looked at Minseok, “Don’t tell Luhan about it. Please.”

Minseok swallowed. It was a bit difficult to not tell Luhan about Yixing’s issue when Luhan had heard it all himself – well, a good portion of it any way. He knew Yixing had called Mrs. Lu Mother, there was no doubt about it. So far Luhan hadn’t asked Minseok about it, but Minseok did not doubt that Luhan would ask the question sooner rather than later.

“Why don’t you want Luhan to know?”

“I don’t want something else to complicate his life.” Yixing’s honest, kind expression was back as he explained his reasoning “I mean, it is not that it matters. I don’t plan on seeing that woman, so the truth will do nothing but cause suffering.”

“I think he heard you call her Mother though.” Minseok knew that honesty was the best policy “Luhan isn’t stupid.”

“Hyung, I know. But please, for me- I don’t want him to hear it. If he finds out some other way than so be it, but please don’t tell him.” Yixing implored.

Minseok conceded “Fine.”

Now he had to figure out how to deal with a curious Luhan.

***

“Did you see what he left on his desk? I think it was a Shakespearean sonnet. Eww, just ewww.” Irene gossiped in low tones, leaning across the break room table.

“It is like our parents dating or something.” Joy, the youngest intern in the department agreed.

“It is kind of cute though.” Seulgi added “They must really be in love.”

Wendy sighed “It must be nice to be loved like-“

“Yes! I copied the expense report!” Joy suddenly said much too loudly. Instead of covering up their gossip it only drew attention to it – all four of them turned to stare at the doorway to the break room, looking like little kids that had been caught stealing cookies.

“Is everything alright?” Jongdae stood in the doorway, smirking. He knew very well what they were talking about. Suho had taken to masquerading as the ultimate romantic- or at least the ultimate cheesy romantic. Flowers, poetry – all were the weapons of a diabetes inducing Suho in love. Not that Jongdae was complaining. It was cheesy, sure, but it was something he wouldn’t have hoped for one year ago. It was something that made him happy.

“Yes, sir. We..um” Irene stumbled.

“We were just getting back to work!” Seulgi stood, stumbling past Wendy. The other three followed her, promptly leaving the room.

Jongdae laughed quietly as they left. He pulled out his phone, texting the new king of romance:

Yah! Stop being so cheesy – my employees are gossiping about how sappy and uncool you are.

His phone buzzed almost immediately.

My love knows no bounds.

Jongdae made a gagging sound. Okay, so maybe cheesy Suho could be too cheesy. Sometimes any way. Even Jongdae had his limits.

***

Luhan had told Minseok about his Father’s arrival with a heavy heart.

“I don’t know why he is here – but it can’t be good.” Luhan had explained the afternoon before, “It worries me.”

Minseok hadn’t known what to think or what to expect. He soon found out that Luhan’s Father’s arrival did not bode well for spending time with Luhan.

They had spent an afternoon together and then Luhan had returned to his parents, facing the reality of his Father’s return. The next day they had planned on seeing each other in the evening – but Luhan had texted that he couldn’t get away at the moment. It was the same story the next day, and the day after that. Finally Minseok bluntly asked him if they were still seeing each other – Luhan had called immediately.

In hushed tones he had rambled “Don’t think I would ever let you go. I am sorry Baozi but my father has me in meetings morning to night. I want to see you so badly.” A silent pause “You have no idea how much I miss you.”

Minseok knew it was true, he could hear it in Luhan’s tone, in the way his words hung on desperation and longing. In the way he even added that he was in every meeting, invited or not, partially to make sure that Lu Industries wasn’t doing anything else with Monday Enterprise’s client base. Which is why he let it go, knowing he would see Luhan as soon it was possible. In the meantime he had his friends to deal with.

Chanyeol had arrived one evening, plopped down on Minseok’s couch, and announced he felt like a sleep over.

“Um, Chanyeol- go home.” Minseok had said bluntly. It was already eleven o’clock, he wasn’t exactly ready to entertain visitors.

“Hyuuuunnng. Please.” Chanyeol had batted his eyelashes, pouted, and it had worked. Minseok had let him sleep over. The next evening was a repeat, with a hyper Chanyeol tearing through the place late at night and a frustrated Minseok putting in earplugs so he could sleep. He felt for his friend’s sadness, but he also needed some sleep.

Kyungsoo had made the suggestion to Minseok that Friday. Chanyeol was still moping about his “loss” of Joong Ki, it would do everyone some good (especially Minseok’s food bill, desire for peace and quiet, and the general cleanliness of his apartment) if they cheered Chanyeol up and out of his slump.

“What should we do?” Minseok asked.

“Let’s take him to the beach tonight, sleep at one of the little rentals. You know how he likes to build sand castles.” Kyungsoo had suggested. “It always cheers him up.”

Minseok had to remind himself that he was dealing with a man that had retained a childlike sense of fun. Sand castles it was. After work that day they had packed up Minseok’s car and headed out. Baekhyun came with them, having booked the rentals for them.

“Let’s sing!” Baekhyun had yelled as they departed the city, belting out a trot song. Chanyeol had been the only one not singing, he sat in his seat eating popcorn as three off key singers sang merrily.

When they arrived at the small rental they found it quant, a little more rustic than they thought, but perfectly fine for one night (in that there were no bugs, dog packs, crazy old ladies, or a lack of comfortable touches).

“Does someone want to go walk on the beach?” Minseok asked, staring at Chanyeol.

“No Hyung, not really.” Chanyeol responded, browsing the music on his phone.

“Alright.. then, um, should w-“Minseok started, only to be interrupted by his little brother.

“Baekhyun and I are going to eat. See you guys later.” Kyungsoo grabbed Baekhyun’s hand and dragged him towards the door “Call if you need anything.”

“Why that little-“Minseok cursed under his breathe. So Kyungsoo planned a getaway with Baekhyun, leaving Minseok to deal with Chanyeol? Nice.

“Hyung.” Chanyeol said quietly “If you want to go eat too, go ahead. I am fine here.”

 “No, no. I am not hungry.” Minseok flashed a gummy smile, hoping his stomach didn’t rumble and give his lie away “Do you want to play a game Chanyeol?”

“What game?” Chanyeol eyed him suspiciously.

“Who can build the best sand castle?” Minseok was really terrible at this cheering up thing.

“You seriously think you could beat me?” Chanyeol scoffed, then remembered that he was supposed to be depressed.

“Hey.” Minseok put a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder “I am just going to say it like it is. I know you are upset about Joong Ki, and I am sorry. I am sorry because I think Joong Ki is missing out on a wonderful man, a man that I am proud is my friend. And I know you are going to be sad for a while, but don’t shut down your life because of it. It is his loss, not yours.” Minseok was shocked he was able to say half of what he did. Maybe he was better at the friend comforting thing than he thought.

“Thanks hyung. I mean- for not tip toeing around it. And um, thanks for saying the other things too.” Chanyeol’s eyes were watering as he continued “It is just something I wanted for a long time.”

“I know.” Minseok patted Chanyeol’s back softly.

“Hyung, what bothers me the most is that I don’t know. I mean I don’t KNOW know that they are dating.” Chanyeol rambled. His entire breakdown had hinged on Joong Ki using the word “date” when he referred to meeting Kwang Soo. Days later he considered it could have been a figure of speech and not a romantic date.

“Wait, you don’t know they are dating for sure?!” Minseok was confused, his words a bit squeaky as his tone heightened with his surprise. He hadn’t talked to his uncle since the incident with Chanyeol and honestly he had little interest in who his uncle was dating- unless it involved a crying Chanyoel that is.

Chanyeol shook his head. “I might have misunderstood. I mean he said his date was there and Kwang Soo showed up and I assumed that meant a DATE date…but I could have been wrong…and I don’t know! Hyung I am so confused!”

“Hold on.” Minseok took his phone out, scrolling through his contacts he suddenly paused “If it is true, will this make things worse for you?”

“No, I just want to know. Trust me hyung, I have faced the possibility.” Chanyeol held his head high.

Minseok nodded then pressed the call button. A few rings later and his uncle was answering.

“Uncle! Hey, um, this may seem weird but it is important. Do you have a boyfriend?”

“I see.”

“Oh! That is too funny!”

 Minseok laughed. Chanyeol glared, unable to tell what Joong Ki was saying.

“Sure, I will tell Mom next time I see her.”

“Good talking to you too. Have a good night.”

Minseok hung up the phone and stared at Chanyeol, trying to look as solemn as possible. “He said he is…not dating anyone, but Kwang Soo has a new girlfriend.”

Chanyeol’s shouts of joy could probably be heard across the ocean, Minseok thought. He did not recall ever seeing his friend so happy before. It brought a smile to his face.

***

Kyungsoo carefully wrapped the freshly caught fish in lettuce before reaching across the table and feeding it to Baekhyun. They both jumped as they heard a loud shout echo out from the direction of the rented rooms.

“Looks like Minseok hyung got through to him.” Kyungsoo muttered “Good thing. I was about to throw him in the ocean.”

“Yah! He was heartbroken.” Baekhyun garbled out, his mouth still full “You try having that happen to you.”

Kyungsoo took another shot of soju before reclining back in the cheap plastic chair. It was a good thing that their rental had a small restaurant nearby, with a patio that overlooked the path to the beach.

 “Why? Has that ever happened to you?” Kyungsoo asked, genuinely curious. He had his own share of moments when his heart had hurt. Like when Jongin had told him he had essentially used him. Like when he had realized that he had treated Baekhyun like for too many years.

“Really? You think I would be like that lovesick fool?” Baekhyun took his own shot.

“Is that why you quit working with Monday Enterprises.” Kyungsoo asked bluntly, finally verbalizing the question he had wanted to ask for three years.

“Ha- as..” Baekhyun looked up at the sky “Fine, yes. Because you were with him and I wasn’t going to watch it.” Well

“What are we?” Kyungsoo asked, as much to himself as to Baekhyun.

“Well, I think we have the lovers’ thing down.” Baekhyun said half seriously.

It was silent for a few minutes after that, both men retreating into their thoughts. The sound of chopsticks against ceramic, a random passing motorbike, a dog barking in the distance, and the clinking of a shot glass onto a wooden table creating the soundtrack to their silence.

“You know I love you because you piss me off.” Kyungsoo spoke, recalling the oddity of their relationship. How much that hatred, that anger, that jealousy fueled into longing.

“I know. But I also know you love me under all that anger.” Baekhyun responded.

“Yeah, I do. But you are too ugly and horrible for me to ever admit that more than once. So this is it, until you die I will never say it again.” Kyungsoo smirked, Baekhyun kicked him under the table.

They argued playfully, eating and drinking happily, for the next couple of hours.

***

Hey are you around?

Minseok wanted to smack his head against a wall. Of course the first time in four days Luhan had time to hang out was when Minseok out of town. He regretfully typed back

No, out of town for the night with Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun.

His phone buzzed.

Where?

Minseok laughed. Like it mattered where. He still texted back the name of the beach town, along with a picture he had snapped when they had arrived “Right on the beach”.

Have a good night. I miss you.

Minseok smiled and texted back.

I miss you too.

Chanyeol, with all of his recently reacquired optimism, had run out to the beach to build the best sand castle ever (or at least that is what Minseok thought he had shouted as he dashed out of the place). That left Minseok alone, which was a welcome situation until he realized what he was missing back in the city.

Minseok resigned himself to reading a book until his eyes grew heavy, falling into a comfortable sleep, the sound of the ocean waves a pleasant lullaby off in the distance.

***

He stirred slightly, batting away the annoying feeling. It must be a bug, he thought, an annoying bug that lived by the sea and-

“Baozi.”

It scared the living crap out of him. Minseok jumped up, fully prepared to scream in terror when a hand clamped down on his open mouth, silencing him. He tried to fight back until he picked up a familiar scent. It was Luhan’s cologne.

“Hey, hey! It's me.” Luhan removed his hand once Minseok had sat back down, the panic leaving him.

“What are you doing here? How did you even find this place?!” Minseok questioned, completely taken by surprise.

“Let’s just say my thirst is extreme.” Luhan winked.

Minseok rolled his eyes “Are you here for the night?”

“Mm hmm.” Luhan responded, already inching closer for a kiss.

Minseok was not about to deny him.

***

The sun was rising on the horizon when Luhan and Minseok left their room hand in hand. They walked slowly towards the beach, appreciating the moments they had with each other.

“I've missed you.” Luhan planted a kiss on Minseok’s cheek.

“I know, you have told me a million times.” Minseok still liked hearing it though, he just didn’t want to admit it.

The night before they had talked (among other things).

“Will your Father stay for a while?” Minseok asked, not sure how to talk about the recent turn of events.

“I don’t know. I can’t figure out why he is here...”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes and no.” Luhan his side, looking at Minseok with a serious expression on his face “I hope you aren’t angry about my work.”

“As long as you are not stealing my clients I support you fully.” Minseok answered. It may have been a bit harsh but it was true.

“You know we are competing for a lot of the same business.”

Minseok nodded.

“It won’t end, and that isn’t my decision. If my parents want to bid on contracts they will. But I promise I will never endorse trying to steal one of your clients away like that again. If we win the business, we do it through RFP, not through trying to be thieves or using underhanded tactics.”

Minseok believed Luhan, and that trust was welcome on both sides. Minseok had never trusted anyone outside of his immediate circle of family and close friends, doing so was slightly freeing (and scary at the same time). Luhan needed that trust to reconcile three years of viewing Minseok as a charlatan. He had spent three years hating Minseok, hating the fact he had trusted him to begin with. He wanted to trust again, he needed to trust, even if the foundation they built their trust on was shaky.

Now, hand in hand, their footprints making impressions on the wet sand, they walked along the beach, the world revealing itself to the rising sun.

Then Luhan stopped in his tracks.

“You have to be ing kidding me.”

Minseok stared too “I…oh…wow.” It was clear that Chanyeol had not slept the night before.

They could make out, further down the beach, a structure. It was nearing nine feet tall, the girth was at least four feet. It was a perfect replica of the office building that housed Monday Enterprise. And diligently working on creating the minute details of the building was one Park Chanyeol, standing on a step ladder.

“Hyungs!” Chanyeol shouted across the beach, waving frantically “I built a sand castle!”

“Did he ever.” Minseok mumbled, tugging Luhan behind him as they made their way towards Mr. Park’s sand masterpiece.

---------------------

a/n- Happy holidays! Here is some fluffy fluff for y’all. I tried, and sorry I didn’t get every character in the chapter in terms of fluffy moments (Suchen gave me diabetes last chapter and Taohun are still in the beginning stages to the point there isn’t a ton of fluff to be had). Plus what is fluffier than Chanyeol building sand castles all night? Nothing, nothing at all!

Thanks as always for subbing, voting, and reading. If you liked the update or hate it let me know in the comments. Are there certain characters you love (or those you want more of)- let me know! <3-L