Chapter 21

Marry Him If You Dare

His calls went unanswered. His texts suffered the same fate. He expected that Luhan was back in Beijing, probably hating him. But that didn’t matter now, not when he knew that Luhan was probably hating himself as well.

Minseok knew that Luhan did not have the best relationship with his mother. In fact his relationship with Minseok had probably made it worse. There was some guilt that Minseok carried with him for that, but mostly concern – that Luhan was eating, sleeping. That Luhan was surviving. That he was okay.

Yixing had flown to Beijing as soon as he heard the news. It was clear that no matter how negatively he viewed his birth mother, all was moot at her passing.

Minseok felt Yixing’s absence acutely. Usually when he was pacing around his office, unsure of what to do, Yixing was there to tell him to snap out of it – to call Luhan. To talk to him. Now, a day after Minseok had learned of Mrs. Lu’s passing, he was pacing and there was no one to make him jump to action.

Minseok stopped pacing and sat down. He thought about the last few years, about his time with Luhan and his time away from Luhan. About how much he had grown to realize that a certain Chinese Man, who used to protest, who now wore a suit and tie, meant to him. He finally broke down and left his office.

He took the elevator, cracking his knuckles nervously the entire ride up. When he reached his parent’s office he found his Mother absent, his Father was busy on the phone. Minseok took a seat, waiting for his Father to get off of the phone. It was a ten long minutes before Gary clicked the phone down on the receiver.

“What’s up son?” Gary asked, standing up and walking around his desk, he sat in a chair opposite of Minseok.

“I think I should go to Beijing.” Minseok said quietly, with an intonation that indicated the statement was really a question.

“Are you telling me or are you asking me?” Gary looked at his eldest son, studying his expression. Ji Hyo had always said that Minseok took after her Mother. He was guarded, quiet, but felt strongly. Gary and Ji Hyo were different. They felt, they acted. They were impulsive, much like their youngest son Sehun. Kyungsoo and Suho even had more of their traits then Minseok. Minseok was…well, careful.

“Dad, I just….he has to be broken right now.” Minseok looked at his Father, tears in his eyes.

“Son...” Gary breathed in heavily before continuing “When I met your Mother she hated me. Hated everything about me. Have I ever told you that?”

Minseok’s eyes widened “No...”

“She did. In fact, she told me she would rather look at a pile of then spend three minutes in a room with me. Do you know how that changed?”

“No.” Minseok was genuinely curious. His parents talked enough about their past, but it was usually all sunshine and how they met their uncles, never about anything negative.

“I listened to her. I stayed away. And then she came to me.” Gary leaned back, his eyes glazed over with memories. “I respected her reasoning for not wanting me around.”

“So I shouldn’t go?” Minseok asked carefully.

“If he needs time, he needs time. Give it to him.” Gary tried to reassure his son “If he loves you, it won’t be long until he is back.”

“Dad, I am so worried about him.” Minseok was crying now, quietly the tears streamed down his cheeks.

“I know. Hell, I was worried about your Mom back then too.” Gary seemed to realize that he had let too much slip because he suddenly looked confused.

“What do you mean?”

“Um..well, I suppose you are old enough.” Gary didn’t think he would ever have to tell any of his sons, but then again it was probably time they knew “When I met your Mother she was in a bad state. Because of her Father.”

“Grandpa?” Minseok thought back. He had met the man a handful of times if photographs were to be believed. He had no memory of the man. His Mother had rarely spoken of him, his uncle Joong Ki had never spoken of him. He knew that he was a business man and in fact had supplied a large part of the capital to start Monday Enterprises. He felt a little guilty he had never taken more of an interest in him.

“Yeah. He…well, he had a wandering eye. He had a child, a couple of years before he passed.”

Minseok was shocked. His Mom had a sibling near his age?

“Yixing is that child.” Gary looked at his son, his eyes wide with concern “Yixing knows. Your Mom took it pretty hard. She looked up to her Dad, trusted him, and he betrayed your grandmother so readily.”

“How could he?” Minseok remembered his grandmother, albeit she passed when he was seven. She was a kind woman, always willing to indulge his every whim as a child. And Yixing was his uncle?! It was a lot to process in a short amount of time.

“I don’t know. Your Mom was really upset, rightfully so.”

“So how did you just let her deal with it alone?” Minseok returned to the thought of Luhan, alone, heartbroken.

“Because sometimes people need to overcome things alone. I am sure you called him. He knows you support him. Now let him be, he will come around when he is ready.” Gary was serious, his past experience flashing before him.

Like clockwork Ji Hyo walked through the office door. She spotted Minseok and rushed forward.

“Are you okay?” Ji Hyo asked, putting an arm around her eldest son.

Minseok looked from his father to his mother. “I think so.”

“We love you and support you. I hope you know that.” Ji Hyo leaned down to hug her son. “You will always be my little Minseok.”

“I love you guys too.” Minseok held his Mom tight, thankful that he was gifted with such amazing parents.

***

“Hey”

“Hi!” Tao had answered the phone after one ring. He was just so happy Sehun had called him. It had been three days without word and Tao had felt it acutely.

“Can we meet up for coffee?”

“Sure.”

Tao had thrown on a baby blue scarf and long black wool coat. He met Sehun at a corner coffee shop. It was well past nine o’clock so the place was nearly deserted. Tao was there first, nervously sipping his iced coffee and playing with his phone. He was hypersensitive to every little noise, hoping it was Sehun walking in the door. He ended up scowling at most of the customers who wandered in, disappointed they were anyone but the one he was looking for.

When ten o’clock rolled around Tao thought he had been stood up – and didn’t blame Sehun for it. After all he was the jerk that had made a mess of things. He was so stupid.

It was ten thirty when the door chimed and a tall, broad shouldered blonde man came into the café – with a bundle under his coat.

“Sehun!” Tao started to stand up, excited, but checked himself quickly and sat back down trying not to look too eager.

Sehun took a seat, his hand still under the bulge in his coat.

“What is that?” Tao asked, trying to peek.

“Tao- are you sorry?”

Tao grimaced “You have no idea how sorry I am Hun-ah.”

“Good. Then I have a present for you.” Sehun smiled. Somehow Sehun’s smile was slightly wicked looking. He moved quickly, divesting himself of the bundle. A white fluffy ball was the first thing Tao glimpsed before having a tiny creature handed to him across the table. “This is Candy. Raise her well.”

Tao stared at the small dog. It was squirming in Sehun’s hands – and it wasn’t much bigger than his hands. Finally he reached out and took the puppy.

“Here is your punishment.”

“How is this a punishment?” Tao asked, already half in love with the adorable beast.

“Have you ever cleaned up dog before? She isn’t house trained – oh, and she is probably going to be yappy.” Sehun drawled, secretly enjoying the sight before him. Tao was holding the small dog against his chest, she had taken to burrowing into his coat.

“Thank you.” Tao whispered, petting the puppy carefully.

“And don’t think you don’t owe me dinner – and a new pair of shoes.”

“Then are we good?” Tao asked, hopeful.

“Yeah, I think we are.” Sehun answered, smiling. “But if you ever try something like that again I will never speak to you. Ever.”

“Yes sir.” Tao smiled back, holding Candy closely to him.

***

“So have you ever done it?”

Suho gulped. As in IT it?! “No...”

Jongdae laughed.

“Hey- I will have you know that I have given s and I hav-“

“Okay, okay! I don’t need to hear your entire mediocre ual history!” Jongdae threw his hands up. He was sprawled out on Suho’s bed, his stomach against the mattress and his arms propped up on a pillow. It was an ideal position to be in to observe Suho, who was lying flat on his back, staring at the anime posters on his ceiling.

“Why…do you want to now?” Suho asked carefully. They had, after all, slept next to each other. They had kissed a ton of times. They even touched each other.

“Not really.” Jongdae answered seriously “I would rather wait until we are married.”

“Seriously?!” Suho sat up, staring at Jongdae in awe.

“Well, yeah, to be honest. I mean, I am not a cheap date. I need at least a thirty thousand dollar wedding before I put out.” Jongdae laughed.

“Yah!” Suho playfully hit his boyfriend, before pulling him close. “Hey, I think that might be right. Let’s get married first.”

“Whatever you say rich boy.” Jongdae whispered against Suho’s shirt, smiling.

***

Baekhyun’s Mother was not happy. She had lost twenty dollars after all. Still, she tried to pretend to welcome Kyungsoo over for dinner. Finally Kyungsoo took the initiative.

“Mrs. Byun, I am sorry about everything.” Kyungsoo said, putting on his I-am-an-honest-goody-two-shoes face.

Mrs. Byun snapped out of her doldrums immediately “No dear, don’t say that!”

“Yah! Stop it.” Baekhyun blurted out, receiving a scowl from his Father.

“Do you love him?” Mrs. Byun asked blatantly, ignoring the fact that her son was present.

“I do.” Kyungsoo answered with confidence. Baekhyun jumped a little with surprise.

The conversation  was interrupted as the maid brought out the main course. Once she retreated to the kitchen Mrs. Byun continued “If you love each other I have no problem. But if you hurt my baby-“

“Mom, I am not a baby!” Baekhyun counteracted her statement by pouting like a two year old, which acted to only reinforce his mother's words.

“As I was saying” Mrs. Byun laughed. It was the first time that Kyungsoo had heard the woman giggle, she was usually the staid one while her husband and son were the talkative humorous type.

“I will make sure he has regular naps and is fed.” Kyungsoo joked, feeling like it was appropriate given Mrs. Byun’s reaction. Mr. Byun burst out laughing at the statement. Kyungso continued "And he will have a time out in the corner if he is bad."

“He is a handful.” Mr. Byun pointed at his son “Seriously, we should be giving you a medal or something.”

“I AM RIGHT HERE!” Baekhyun shouted, retaining his pout.

The entire table burst into laughter at Baekhyun’s expense. Kyungsoo felt at ease with the situation, extremely at ease. Being with Baekhyun was easy. It was right. And it was fun.

***

Chanyeol was busy. Well, not conventionally busy, but busy on his own terms. He had become obsessed with an online music game and he was dedicated to retaining the top spot. It didn’t help that every eight year old around the globe was ready to take first place from him.

“Stupid kids!” Chanyeol yelled, ready to throw his phone down at his latest challenge. Shoudn't eight year olds be in school?!

“You hate kids?”

Chanyeol looked up from his device and then paused. Or froze- whatever happened when you looked at the love of your life.

“I um…no.” Chanyeol stuttered.

Joong Ki smiled, sitting down on the couch next to him. Joong Ki had decided to drop into the Monday Enterprises office for a visit with his sister and brother in law. They were currently tied up in a meeting, which is why he found himself wandering around the building until he found a familiar face.

“Good. Because I want at least three of them.” Joong Ki remarked casually, despite the weight of his words. He leaned forward to take a peek at Chanyeol’s phone.

Chanyeol panicked. He had no idea what to do. So of course he did the worst thing possible “Do you like me?”

Joong Ki suddenly sat up straight, like he had been shocked “Like you?” He asked, a slight smile playing on his lips.

“I shouldn’t have said that. Oh god, oh-“Chanyeol thought he would be sick “I mean, you said that about kids and called me cute and yo-“

Chanyeol never finished his ramble. In fact, Joong Ki was probably the first person in history that could shut Park Chanyeol up. He did so with a kiss.

***

Two months later

Minseok was almost asleep. He had read all of the daily utilization reports, sent feedback on the latest marketing presentation, and reviewed the recently released financials – he was effectively out of steam. He turned off his nightstand lamp, sinking back into his pillows.

The time before he fell asleep was the worst – if he still had enough energy to think that is. That is when Luhan would appear, when Yixing would appear in his thoughts. That is when he would consider all of his mistakes, all of his faults.

This night, however, he was properly worn out. The thoughts stayed away. Sleep came. Almost.

It started with a small noise. He ignored it. Then he thought he heard a voice. He still ignored it, too tired to investigate. When his door opened, however, he leapt out of bed ready for a fight. He assumed a fighting stance, eyes blinking rapidly as he adjusted to the low light. He was ready to throw a punch when he was stopped.

“Hey, hey! It’s me.”  It was Luhan.

“Lu?” Minseok asked, still waking up and getting over his dedication to a fist fight in the name of self defense.

“Hey.” Luhan said quietly, standing still in the doorway.

Minseok didn’t want to stay still. He moved quickly, one step, two steps, and then he was there, face to face.

“Are you okay?” Minseok stared, trying to ensure Luhan’s state of mind was solid, that he was okay, that he was alive.

Luhan didn’t answer. He moved, his hands finding Minseok’s waist and pulling him close.

“I missed you.” Luhan whispered, planting a less than chaste kiss on Minseok’s mouth.

---------------------------------

a/n- One more chapter left! I hope you like the update. Candy had to happen. And Yixing’s Papa. Yeah. I went all makjang on this plot didn’t I?!

Thanks for the upvotes! I was surprised to see three more after the last update. And all of the subs- I had no idea when I started this fic! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I appreciate it more than you know. Sometimes I get discouraged about writing, but every little comment/vote/sub helps me pick up the pace and get to it again.  Sorry I at replying to comments, it is my goal to get better at this!

If you are bored you can find me on tumblr. Otherwise, look for the final chapter soon!