Chapter 9

Marry Him If You Dare

For being a pretty obvious ert Luhan was surprisingly slow moving when it came to his relationship with Minseok. He had ended their make out session with little more than some kisses and caresses and Minseok was a bit ashamed to admit he probably could have been (wanted to be) talked into a whole lot more. Yet Luhan stopped; which left Minseok feeling a little frustrated and a whole lot surprised.

Luhan had slept in the second bedroom that night, leaving his boyfriend to digest what had happened – and digest he did. Minseok had decided that he would give this thing a chance, even if their family’s history was not the best. His parents were for it and honestly Luhan didn’t seem to mind (okay, he clearly did not mind) so why should Minseok let this piece of news stall everything? He had to be brave for once. Oh, and there was that contest he needed to win.

Minseok had woken up, out of sorts and ready for his coffee. Before he could stumble into the kitchen he was greeted with his bedroom door being thrown open, Luhan holding a tray of food and grinning widely.

“Breakfast in bed, love?” Luhan phrased it like a question but it was anything but. Minseok watched Luhan bound across the room, afraid the tray would fall to the floor and stain the carpet with jam given Luhan’s energetic approach.

“Oh..wow.” Minseok sat back down on the bed “I don’t think anyone has ever done this for me before.”

“Noooo?!” Luhan mocked shock and surprise, setting the tray down “I would have thought dozens of guys and girls would be lined up outside your bedroom door on a daily basis to serve you breakfast in bed.” He shot Minseok a cheesy wink.

Minseok rolled his eyes “Hey, I will have you know I am quite the catch. I am-“Luhan shoved a piece of toast in Minseok’s open mouth before he could continue his defense.

“I know you are a catch that is why I am serving you breakfast in bed.” Lu took a bite of toast himself, savoring the warm butter and jam “And I kind of wanted to see you in bed. For scientific reasons of course.”

Minseok blushed. Damn Luhan and his words making him feel like he was .

“You look cute when you wake up Baozi.” Luhan took another bite of toast before continuing, his words slightly garbled as he chewed “I have a new goal you know.”

“I am kind of afraid to ask.”

“You shouldn’t be, it is a good goal” Luhan swallowed “I am going to be the only person who sees you wake up – for the rest of your life.”

“You sound like a creep.” Minseok mumbled, but he had to admit Luhan’s unique set of ersity, obsessiveness, and cheesiness was actually really endearing. Even if it shouldn’t be. Because Minseok was really, very sure that if he told someone what his new boyfriend said to him when they were alone they would tell Minseok to drop Luhan like he was hot. Or some other poorly veiled song reference that was not actually referring to in that context even when it should have been.

“But I am your creep, and a cute one at that” Luhan tried to look adorable by cocking his head to the side and smiling. He succeeded.

“Do you want to know what my goal is?” Minseok took a drink of coffee. He hadn’t remembered telling Luhan exactly how he liked his Americano, but Luhan seemed to know, it was perfect.

“Is it to marry me?” Lu asked. When Minseok choked and nearly spit out his coffee Luhan looked perplexed. “Is it that bad of an idea?”

“Um, no, no that isn’t it.” The fact that Luhan still had no idea about the contest was something that Minseok tried to ignore – because he was certain once Luhan found out about it out all hell would break loose. “I was just surprised you said that. I um-”

“We don’t have to move that fast Baozi, I was just kidding.” Luhan tried to play it off like it didn’t matter to him that Minseok had such a strong reaction to the idea. They had mentioned it before, hadn’t they? But Luhan had guessed that Minseok liked things to move at a bit of a slower pace than Luhan wished, which is why he felt such a sense of accomplishment at getting the other man to agree to him moving in as soon as their plane touched down in Seoul.

“No, I want to marry you. I mean, if you want to.” Minseok felt like he was lying, because he kind of was. Or at least he wasn’t being totally honest. His feelings for Luhan were growing but the fact remained that they barely knew each other. Marriage was not something they should be talking about at this point and it would never have happened if not for that stupid ing contest.

“What a romantic proposal” Luhan nudged Minseok playfully “What about our parents?” Luhan sat back on the bed, curious to hear Minseok’s response. He knew that Minseok was bothered by it – hell, he had practically shut Luhan out when he had learned of it.

“I don’t care” Another lie. Minseok did care, it was everyone else that didn’t. He cared a whole lot what had happened but he was willing to try to get over it.

“Hmm, I see.”

A loud ring sounded, causing both men to jump. It was Minseok’s phone. He grabbed it from the nightstand, mouthing the word ‘sorry’ to Luhan as he answered it. It was a call from work, effectively ending their breakfast in bed.

***

Sehun was miserable. Suho was miserable. Chanyeol was hungry. Yixing shook his head at his three co-workers/friends as they stopped off for a bite to eat before they made their way to the office. It was a familiar ritual – Yixing always chauffeured Sehun and Suho to the office- and Chanyeol was a consistent stop on the way. The four men had stopped at the Angel Café for breakfast, the perfect place for strong yet tasty coffee and scrumptious pastries.

“Hung-over?” Chanyeol asked, eyeing his coworkers. As the Kang brothers both nodded Chanyeol felt slightly guilty that he was happy he wasn’t alone– he was suffering from a pounding headache at the moment.

“You guys could always get your head’s out of your asses…” Yixing mumbled as he ate his muffin, staring down the two mopey Kang brothers, speaking without provocation.

“What Yixing is trying to say is you are mean.” Chanyeol added on, shoving an entire scone in his mouth, ignoring the crumbs that fell on his navy blue jacket. Apparently it was suddenly open season on the Kangs.

“Hey!” Suho was not awake enough for this “I think you guys are being unfair! I can’t see how I was mean-“

Chanyeol and Yixing laughed at the comment. The Kang brothers stared. Breakfast went on – headaches and confusion and all.

Two hours later Suho and Sehun were still in sour moods – Jongdae and Tao had seemingly dedicated themselves to their silent treatment.

Tao was waiting in Sehun’s office when he arrived, but he had barely said anything but ‘yes’ or ‘no’ when Sehun tried to engage him in conversation. Finally, fed up with the lack of response, Sehun had shouted out “God damnit -what will it take to get you to talk to me?!”

Tao had turned red, burst into tears, and ran from the room- again. Sehun slumped down in his chair, his head thunking against his desk in frustration. That is how Suho found him.

“Ready for the meeting?” Suho asked, hoping that Sehun was taking his job as project manager seriously. Of course the fact they were both drinking the night before did not bode well for Sehun’s dedication.

“Is Jongdae talking to you?” Sehun mumbled, not bothering to lift his head from his desk.

“No. Is Tao talking to you?”

“No. I made him cry.”

Suho didn’t answer, he wasn’t sure what to say.

***

Baekhyun shifted, his shoulder hurt. An old tennis injury had left him with a bad left shoulder. If he slept on it wrong he would pay for it the next day, so when he woke up with a familiar pain he tried to move onto his right side. But something was holding him down.

Glancing to his side, memories came flooding back. Kyungsoo had spent the night. Had spent the night and had been more than willing to sleep next to Baekhyun, comfort him through “his illness” with his arms resting around the older boy. Of course he had muttered a few insults before falling asleep, if he hadn’t Baekhyun would have been worried that Kyungsoo was sick.

Baekhyun stared at Kyungsoo’s face for a lot longer than was necessary, largely because he knew there was nothing to stop him from doing so. He admired how youthful Kyungsoo always looked no matter how many years went by, he was as fresh faced as the moment they had met.

“Stop staring at me.”

Baekhyun jumped. Kyungsoo had spoken without opening his eyes. “I wasn’t st-“

“Yeah, you were. How are you feeling?” Kyungsoo asked, still not admitting he was fully awake.

“Tired “Baekhyun faked a cough “I think I am still sick.”

“Should we go to the doctor?” Kyungsoo finally opened his eyes and Baekhyun was a bit surprised that he looked concerned. The day before Kyungsoo had spent hours grumbling about how Baekhyun and his stupid illness was keeping him away from the office (even if he had probably gotten more work done sitting at Baekhyun’s apartment than he would have at the office with the constant interruptions).

“I think I just need to rest. You won’t leave me, will you?” Baekhyun batted his lashes, trying to look helpless and alluring at the same time.

“Stop being so ugly.” Kyungsoo sat up, stretching his arms and arching his back “I have to go in today.”

“Oh” Baekhyun was really bad at hiding the disappointment in his tone and his posture.

“Baekhyun…” Kyungsoo noticed the older man tense. “You know this won’t wor-“

“Go in if you have to!” Baekhyun said far too loudly given the fact Kyungsoo was right next to him. He knew the tone of voice Kyungsoo was using and it was his serious tone. His “I am about to kill all of your hopes and dreams in under a minute” tone. Baekhyun didn’t want to deal with it at the moment “I’ll be fine.” he assured him.

Kyungsoo nodded, watching as Baekhyun hurried out of bed, making a show of pulling out a clean t-shirt and pair of pajama pants.

“I’ll call you later.”

Baekhyun didn’t bother to see Kyungsoo to the door. It hurt.

***

 “Do you know where I can find Mr. Kang’s office?”

Chanyeol glanced over his shoulder. He had been busy devouring his mid-morning snack of cheese and fruit, completely ignoring everything else. Like the middle aged woman standing behind him in the lobby. She had asked the question twice already, but it had taken some time for Chanyeol to regain consciousness from his food tunnel vision to answer her.

“Which one?” Chanyeol put his food down. He had decided a nice snack in a corner of the lobby was warranted, mostly because if he tried to eat in the offices everyone yelled at him for being too loud. That, and the alcove in the lobby was enough out of sight that he wasn’t accused of frightening visitors with his loud chewing.

“Mr. Minseok Kang.” The woman was small, petite, and well dressed. Probably a client or business partner Chanyeol thought.

“You need to sign in first.” Chanyeol gestured to the sign in sheet.

“Okay, thank you.” The woman approached the clipboard left on the desk. The secretary must have been busy because there had been no one around when she had entered the office suite. When she had finished signing in the nice, tall young man scanned the door open, holding it open for her to go in. She thanked him as she walked in. She had never thought she would see the day she stepped foot in Monday Enterprises. Strange things did indeed happen.

***

Luhan had gotten the idea from a romance novel. Well, it was more of a novel but it had romance in it. Or that was where he thought he got the idea or maybe it was from a o he had watched? Or was it on the news because someone was arrested for it? Regardless it seemed like a damn good idea. And he had had all of the supplies he needed. Simple really.

The spare badge that Minseok had lying around the apartment still worked on the doors of the Monday Enterprises office, making everything much easier. No one bothered to give him a second look as he walked the halls, taking the elevator to Minseok’s office. His insides felt like they would leap from his body as he neared his destination.

Yixing was sitting behind a desk at the end of the hallway (well, large corridor, it was almost a room in and of itself) that sat in front of the executive offices. As Luhan neared Yixing’s desk the other man looked up, showing surprise. Luhan held a finger to his lips and mouthed the word surprise. Yixing nodded vigorously to show he understood, pointing the way to Minseok’s office.

Luhan opened the door slowly, sighing in relief as he found it empty. Now all he had to do was get ready. And wait.

***

Minseok was on his way back from a meeting when he was met by Chanyeol and a woman he had never met before, standing and chatting with Yixing at his desk.

“There he is!” Chanyeol said as Minseok approached “Hyung, you have a visitor.”

Minseok bowed, wondering about the identity of the woman.

“Hello. How can I help you?” Minseok also shook the woman’s hand, a gesture he had gotten used to since he started his life in the corporate world.

When the woman spoke he could detect an accent. He guessed she was Chinese. “I am wondering if you have a moment to talk- privately. It is important.”

“Can you tell me what this is about?” Minseok thought the woman looked harmless but he wasn’t about to meet with a stranger without knowing at least a little of what it was about.

“My name is Mrs. Lu, Luhan is my son.”

Minseok’s mouth formed a perfect O at her explanation “Of course, let’s go to my office.”

Minseok was too busy trying to understand what this meant- that Luhan’s Mother would fly all the way to Seoul to talk to him – to see Yixing waving his hands frantically behind her. It was a tragic mistake, really. Yixing had only guessed that the woman would not expect her son to be at the office, not what was actually about to happen.

When Minseok and the woman entered his office two distinct screams were heard. And a shout, a very loud shout.

Yixing uttered a string of swear words while Chanyeol looked confused. “Luhan was in there.” Yixing explained, watching Chanyeol’s face light up in comprehension. Oh indeed.

***

 Minseok had entered his office first, his guest following behind him as he scanned his badge. Monday Enterprises took security very seriously. Which is why Minseok would never, ever have expected to see Luhan in his office. On his desk.

“Baozi” Luhan purred.

Minseok froze a few steps into his office and time seemed to slow down. He watched as Luhan, sitting on the edge of desk in the most seductive pose, threw open the trench coat he was wearing. Minseok moved forward, his hands out to stop Luhan. But it was too late. He was , completely under his overcoat.

Minseok barely registered a high pitched scream that sounded behind him. And then Luhan screamed. And Minseok shouted trying to move towards Luhan to cover him up. Time resumed and the older woman was across the office in surprising speed, hitting a mortified Luhan with her handbag. He had managed to get his coat back on, and was now doubled over lying on the floor, covering his head as protection from his Mother’s assault.

“Mom, stop!”

Minseok was still in shock, so he just stood there.

“So this is what you have become?! The ONLY SON OF THE LU FAMILY in some Korean man’s office!” Whack “Is this what you have resorted to?” Whack. “Saving bears and monkeys wasn’t enough? Now you yourself out to these low-lives!”

“Mom! Ow! Mom!”

Minseok suddenly snapped out of it, hearing the loud smacks that the woman delivered. It had to hurt. Minseok moved quickly and threw himself in between Luhan and his Mother’s handbag of doom.

“Mrs. Lu, I know you are mad-“Whack “but stop!” Minseok was hit instead.

“You no good, piece of . You Korean ing trash. You-“Before she could land another smack her wrist was grabbed. Mrs. Lu whirled around, her face contorted in rage.

“If you are here to beat my son I suggest you get the hell out, .” It was Ji Hyo and she had every bit the expression of an angry Mother bear.

“You!” Mrs. Lu spat the words.

“The one and only. I see you have aged like - now get the hell out of MY building.” Ji Hyo practically dragged the woman towards the door. Mrs. Lu struggled for a moment, until Gary and Chanyeol appeared in the doorway, taking in the scene.

Mrs. Lu stopped her struggles, yanking her wrist out of Ji Hyo’s grasp. She smoothed her clothes and fixed her hair. “This is not the end.”

“Oh great, I can’t wait to see you again.” Ji Hyo spat.

“” Mrs. Lu muttered, storming past Gary and Chanyeol.

“Are you okay?” Minseok whispered, Luhan still crouched down, hiding his head.

“Can you ask your parents to leave, so I can get dressed?” His voice was distressed to say the least.

Minseok nodded. After a quick plea with his own parents that they could talk about what had happened later, he shut the door and locked it. It was a good thing his office did not have windows facing the hallway.

Minseok stayed silent, turning his back to Luhan as the man dressed.

“You can turn around.” Luhan said sadly “And I am sorry.”

“What do you have to be sorry for?” Minseok approached his boyfriend, noticing that Luhan was crying.

“I shouldn’t have done that…and my Mom….she shouldn’t have hit you.” Luhan balled up his fists “That woman-“

Minseok shushed Luhan, pulling him into an embrace. Luhan buried his head in Minseok’s shoulder, slouching to lean into the shorter man. Minseok patted his back, trying to sooth Luhan as he cried. He felt sorry then, for a lot of things. Especially the fact that someone as energetic and upbeat as Luhan could have sprung from something so mean and spiteful.