Chapter 19

Marry Him If You Dare

“So, if you don’t mind me asking – who is your Father?”

Luhan had asked Yixing the question over Soju. It was the kind of question that needed a little inebriation to broach.

Yixing had answered that he had no idea- and that was the truth. But one look at Yixing and it was obvious that they did not share Fathers.  Luhan could see his Mother’s features in Yixing, slightly, but there was zero hint of his Father. Which meant that Luhan’s Mother had cheated on his Father- Yixing was younger than Luhan after all. That also meant that Luhan was but a small child when this occurred and that his Father was very well aware of the entire situation, as evidenced by his reaction over dinner.

Luhan tried to digest what that piece of news did to him. On one hand he was over joyed to find that he had a brother, especially one as nice and companionable as Yixing. On the other hand he felt like his entire life had been a lie. The anger he felt was directed at his parents, his Mother for her betrayal and his Father for his apparent acceptance of the fact.

 He hadn’t found it in himself to go home that night. He spent the night at Minseok’s apartment, talking into the early morning hours.

“Will you be okay?” Minseok asked, staring at his boyfriend in concern. They were lying in Minseok’s bed, the covers pulled tightly around them as they chatted.

“It is going to take some time to digest all of this.” Luhan answered “Plus I am a little nervous to see what my Mother is going to do next.”

Minseok was afraid of the woman’s actions as well. There was something calculating about the woman.

“We will get through it together, right?” Minseok offered up a small smile.

“Hm.” Luhan nodded, praying that they could weather any storm as long as they were together.

***

“Irene, bring me the contract binder.” Sehun asked – well, ordered actually. He was suffering from a pounding headache, was behind in his work, and desperately needed to understand what Tao was up to. He had left Tao’s apartment shortly after he overheard the phone conversation with Kris. He feigned a headache and went back to his parents’ house. He spent a sleepless night trying to figure out what was going on and if he should tell anyone about it.

“Here you go, sir.” Irene handed over the blue contract binder, “Do you need anything else?”

“No. Thank you.” Sehun started to flip through the binder, but his focus was a mess. A welcome distraction arrived in the form of his older brother.

“Late night?” Suho asked. He only had to take one look at his little brother to see the bags under his eyes and the fatigue in his posture.

“Something like that.” Sehun internally debated for a moment, but he gave in. He really needed to tell someone or he would go insane. “Hyung, can you close the door?”

“Uh oh. I don’t think I am going to like this.” Suho answered, closing the door. Once he was seated in the leather chair facing Sehun’s desk, his little brother burst forth with rambling speech.

“I was at Tao’s last night and he thought I was asleep – I wasn’t. I overheard him talking to Kris, that guy that is here with Luhan. It sounded like they were planning something and I am involved in it somehow. They said something about Mom and Dad and I don’t know hyung, I don’t know what they want or-“

“Woah.” Suho put his hand up, urging Sehun to slow down “Tao? As in the same Tao that had a fishing boat?” Suho was not exactly ready to believe Tao was plotting anything.

“I know it sounds crazy, but I swear I heard them talking to each other. Tao said something about Mom and Dad not being easy. Easy how? Hyung, I am worried.”

“Does anyone else know about this?”

“No, you are the first person I told.” Sehun felt relieved to finally have told someone “What do we do?”

“How about you start from the top. Like how you met Tao again – in detail – and what you know about Kris.” Suho needed all of the facts before he made any kind of decision.

Sehun nodded and started from the beginning.

***

Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, and Jongdae were in the middle of a meeting with the marketing department when the conference room doors burst open.

“What in the?!” Chanyeol shouted, standing up as half a dozen men in suits filed into the room.

A badge was flashed by one of them. “Department of revenue, Seoul division. We are here as part of an official investigation. Please step aside.”

Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol and Jongdae, both men sharing his complete shock “What is this about?”

“Please, sir, we need to examine these files.” The man, or agent as he had identified himself, made a beeline for a file cabinet that rested against the back wall. Another agent confiscated Chanyeol’s laptop.

Kyungsoo wasn’t about to sit still and watch everything be torn apart, he needed to find out what was going on. He stalked out of the room, Chanyeol and Jongdae hot on his heels. They found more agents tearing the place apart as they walked down the hall. It seemed like the entire office was being destroyed before their eyes.

Minseok appeared, walking out of his office looking just as confused.

“Hyung, what is going on?” Kyungsoo called out, motioning towards the chaos.

“I don’t know. Come on- we need to see Mom and Dad.”

When they arrived at their parent’s office, up a few floors, they found the same scene. Papers were being boxed up, the employees were all shaken up. Everything was in disarray.  Pushing open the door to the executive office they found their parents both on the phone- each speaking in heightened tones as agents were practically dismantling their desks.

“Slush funds? You have to be kidding me!” Ji Hyo’s face was bright red.

“Yah! And you didn’t know about this beforehand? Don’t they need a warrant?” Gary yelled into his cell phone. Once he realized two of his sons were in the room he turned away, lowering his voice.

Sehun, Suho, and Yixing were the next to rush into the room, the youngest Kang brother looked like he was close to tears.

***

Baekhyun received the envelope from one of the office interns. It did not have a return address because it hadn’t been mailed. It was dropped off at the office “by some delivery guy”- the descriptive words of the intern that dropped it on Baekhyun’s desk. Curious, Baekhyun opened the envelope as soon as the intern left.

What he found inside was a stack of picture- all showing him with Kyungsoo. Kissing Kyungsoo, holding hands with Kyungsoo. They had been taken during their recent trip to the beach.

“What in the ?” Baekhyun’s eyes widened in shock. Was someone trying to blackmail him? Before he could fully realize his anger his office door opened. It was his Father. Panicked, he pushed the pictures back in the envelope and shoved the package into his desk drawer.

“Baekhyun-ah, we need to go.” His Father’s face was red, “Monday Enterprises is being raided by revenue agents as we speak. Looks like they received information that there have been illegal money transfers at the company. We need to go. NOW.”

Baekhyun paled. Illegal money transfers at Monday Enterprises? That was the most ludicrous thing he had ever heard. The Kang’s ran a business that was cleaner than most- their ethical stance was impeccable. He grabbed his jacket, following his Father out of the law firm.

***

The Kang family, Chanyeol, Yixing, Baekhyun and his Father, and the Uncles were all gathered in the board room of Monday Enterprises. An ad hoc meeting had been called, everyone rushing over as soon as they heard the news. The agents were still in the building, boxing up files.

“You mean to tell me that you had no idea this was going to happen?” Gary practically screamed at Baekhyun’s father “They need a warrant to seize documents and they damn well have one!”

“They don’t exactly call a company’s lawyers before raiding their offices!” Baekhyun’s Father shouted back.

“Yah! Stop it.” Ji Hyo stood up “Fighting is not going to get us anywhere. Byun, we need to know what type of evidence is being used against us – because we all damn well know this is a false accusation. Kids,” Ji Hyo pointed at her sons, Yixing, and Chanyeol “Go back to your offices and calm the staff down. We don’t need to see people quitting over this. Talk to the clients, keep everyone calm. Oppas,” Ji Hyo motioned towards the uncles, who were unusually solemn “Find out everything you can in terms of who reported us and what they want.”

“Your Mom is so cool, seriously.” Chanyeol whispered to Kyungsoo, only to receive a punch in the arm.

“Now go!” Ji Hyo ordered, the fire in her eyes intimidating and motivating the entire room.

***

Luhan was in a meeting when his phone vibrated. It was a message from Minseok.

My office was just ripped apart by revenue agents. Your Mom wouldn’t have anything to do with that, would she?

Luhan paled. He looked across the table to see his Father glancing at him.

“Sorry, I have an important call I need to make.” Luhan stood and excused himself, he did not fail to notice his Father’s scowl following him. Once he left the meeting room he took the elevator to the ground floor, walking out of the building so he could make absolutely sure no one was listening to him. He dialed Minseok’s number.

“Hey, do you think she did this?” Was Minseok’s first words.

“I don’t know. What is going on?” Luhan asked, afraid to hear the answer.

“The agents came in this afternoon. They are in the process of tearing the building apart, seizing documents and laptops and everything that isn’t bolted to the floor.”

“.” Luhan bit his bottom lip. This was bad, really bad. “I didn’t know anything about this, you have to believe me.”

“I do, but I don’t trust your Mom.”

“I know. Let me talk to her. I will call you back.” Luhan hung up. He shot his Father a quick text to let him know he would not be returning to the meeting. He hailed a cab, he needed to go see his Mother as soon as possible.

***

Sehun nudged Suho “Do you think Tao had something to do with this?”

Suho shook his head “I doubt Tao knows what a revenue agent is.”

Sehun took some comfort in his brother’s words. Only small comfort, however, because the phone conversation he had overheard was still replaying in his mind in an endless loop.

***

Luhan found his Mother back at their apartment. She had left the office early that day, having completed meeting with an important client she had decided to spend the afternoon working from home.

“Son! What a pleasant surprise.” She cooed as Luhan walked into the room she had designated as a home office.

“Did you send revenue agents after Monday Enterprises?” Luhan asked, standing in the doorway.

“What are you talking about?” She looked perplexed “Why would I do that?”

“Mom, don’t lie to me. Their offices are being raided right now. Did you have anything to do with this?” Luhan did not expect her to tell the truth, why would she.

“Of course not. You have to give me a little more credit than that.” His Mother looked genuinely hurt at the accusation.

“If you did, I will find out. And I will pay you back.” Luhan stared at his mother, fury causing his voice to project into a shout “What would happen if everyone found out you had a son you gave up for adoption?”

“Are you THREATENING ME?!” Mrs. Lu stood up, her hands balled into fists “How dare you!”

“Don’t try to hurt the people I care about.” Luhan retorted.

“Ha” Mrs. Lu threw her head back “What about caring for your own family? Maybe trusting them before you threaten them?”

“What about caring about your son? About what makes him happy?”

“I do care.” Mrs. Lu’s mask was back in place “Which is why it hurts so much when you think I would do something like this.”

“If I find out you had anything to do with this I am done. I will quit. Do you hear me?!”

“Good thing then you won’t find out I had anything to do with this – because I didn’t. Now please, calm down.” Mrs. Lu made a move towards her son, who backed away.

Luhan his heels and left the apartment, furious.

***

Baekhyun watch as his Father reported his findings. The revenue agents had left the building and the Monday Enterprises team had been given some time for their own investigation.

Mr. Byun had a grim expression as he reported his findings. It had been an anonymous tip to the revenue agents that kicked off the investigation, submitted along with several documents showing the existence of numerous illegal slush funds at Monday Enterprises. Suho and Jongdae had already called in the company’s audit firm, which was validating the general ledger and bank reconciliations as the corporate lawyer delivered his verdict.

“The transfers did occur,” Mr. Byun reported “As to who completed the transfers we are working with the financial institution to find out.”

“You know we didn’t do this.” Ji Hyo shook her head in disbelief, “No one here would siphon money for any kind of illicit purposes.”

“I know that. But someone did, someone with enough access – valid or hacked – to make such large monetary transfers. And the auditors and your internal accounting department failed to notice, which is worrisome.”

Suho hung his head “I am sorry. I don’t know what went wrong.”

“Shh. No need to apologize. Something strange is going on here, it wasn’t your fault.” Gary tried to reassure his son.

The door to the conference room cracked open, Chanyeol peeking his head in “Sorry to interrupt, but I think you need to see this.” He entered the room, his tablet in his hand. He walked over to Ji Hyo and Gary, who looked at the device nervously.

“” Gary muttered under his breath “The press picked up on it. Kyungsoo – prepare a release. This is going to get ugly.”

Kyungsoo nodded. He had already written a draft up, it was only a matter of time before the press would jump on the story of one of the largest conglomerates in Korea being investigated for financial fraud. This was truly a mess, and it was now a public one.

“The fact that the transactions occurred means that once the investigation reveals and confirms this fact there will be enough evidence for an arrest warrant.” Mr. Byun continued “I give them three days at the most to make the discovery. You will probably be given the option of bail, so your jail time will be less than a day. A few hours at most.”

The entire room grew quiet, each thrown into the reality of being arrested.

“Best case we can find enough evidence to prove innocence and direct guilt elsewhere.” Mr. Byun looked around the room “And worse case you are already aware of.”

“We will win this. We have to.” Ji Hyo spoke, trying to be the rallying cry of the organization. But now even her tone was less confident, less certain. And the room felt it.

***

Minseok had managed to calm down his staff, he hoped his brother’s and the other department heads had succeeded in the same thing. The last thing they needed was to have the staff looking for new jobs due to the investigation.

After calming down his employees, hearing the lawyer’s dire report, reading over the press release, and fielding hours’ worth of calls from concerned clients as well as the media (with a standard no comment response for the press) it was well into the evening. It was well into the night in fact- the clock showing just after ten o’clock.

“Someone is here to see you.” Yixing cracked the door to Minseok’s office open, his voice as tired and worn out as Minseok felt, “It’s Luhan.”

Minseok had periodically recalled the fact Luhan had failed to call him back, but as soon as he had picked up his cell phone he would have another call from a client transferred to his desk phone. “Let him in.”

Yixing disappeared, only to be replaced by Luhan pushing the door open, shutting it behind him softly.

“Hey.” He said quietly “Are you okay?”

“As okay as I can be given the fact my business and family are falling apart.” Minseok didn’t bother getting up “Did you talk to your Mom?”

“Yeah, I did.” Luhan walked around the desk, leaning on it he looked at Minseok. “She denied everything.”

“No surprise there.” Minseok remarked, leaning back and putting his hands behind his head “The lawyers say it was an anonymous tip.”

“Is there anything I can do?” Luhan asked. He was worried. Worried for Minseok, who looked so tired. Worried for the truth of the matter – which likely involved his parents. He had spent the afternoon embroiled in his own investigation; reviewing his Mother and Father’s recent schedules –as much of them that he was privy to that is. He talked to a few of the employees that he was close to and nothing suspicious had been revealed – nothing to implicate either of his parents’ in the current investigation.

“Prove we are innocent.” Minseok mumbled. In all honesty the only thing any of them could do was work on finding proof of their innocence. The lawyers and the uncles, and his parents of course, were the ones delving into the fine print, the details of what had occured. The Kang brothers had been given the task of seeing that operations continued, that the staff was placated, that the press was answered sparingly. Minseok wanted to be in the thick of finding the perpetrators of this lie, but he knew that keeping the business up and running was just as important.

“I wish I could.” Luhan crouched down, grabbing Minseok’s hands in his own he stared up at his boyfriend, who reclined forward in his seat at the sudden contact “I am so, so sorry if my parents had anything to do with this.”

“Lu” Minseok said softly “If they did, is this worth it?”

Luhan physically recoiled, dropping Minseok’s hands “Why? Don’t you?”

“Lu, my parents might go to jail.” Minseok had tears in his eyes.

Luhan considered the fact. If his Mother or Father sent Mr. and Mrs. Kang to jail how could he expect Minseok to think their relationship was worth it? “I will find out what is going on, I promise. Just please, trust me.”

I might go to jail.” Minseok whispered. He was the chief of operations, he signed the financial statements as well.

Luhan’s chest tightened. Minseok in prison? He felt sick.

Minseok stared down at Luhan. He loved him, god he loved him. That is what hurt the most. He loved him and trusted him – but at what cost? If that love brought down his family was he prepared to take responsibility for it? If that love landed him behind bars could he reconcile his fate with his feelings?

“I love you.” Minseok whispered, leaning forward he planted a kiss on Luhan’s mouth. He spoke it like he needed his own confirmation, he needed to hear himself say it. His love was standing on shaky ground at the moment, his life was standing on shaky ground at the moment.

“I love you too.” Luhan responded after Minseok broke away, leaning up for another kiss.

***

It was half past one in the morning when Tao arrived home. It had been a busy day and evening at the design studio, working on his latest line of menswear. Caffeine and junk food had been his diet throughout the day, now all he wanted was a proper meal and some sleep.

Punching in the pass code, Tao opened his door expecting to be greeted by darkness. He usually did not leave the lights on, unless he was trying to annoy Sehun that is. Instead all of the lights were on, the television was blaring as well, which meant one thing.

“Hun-ah?!” Tao called out, excited that his boyfriend would surprise him like this. Tao hadn’t heard from Sehun all day, which was weird. He guessed that Sehun was busy at work, plus he was so engrossed in his designs he barely had a few minutes to do anything else.

Tao froze when he entered the living room- his boyfriend wasn’t waiting for him, his boyfriend’s brother was.

“Tao.” Suho nodded, not bothering to get up from his place on the sofa “We need to talk.”

“About what?” Tao felt the panic rise, his chest suddenly felt tight.

“This.” Suho held up a blue folder.

“Where…” Tao swallowed “Where did you get that?”

“You left it on the coffee table. Now, tell me everything or I will not hesitate to tell Sehun what I found. Do you think they- the ones that asked you to do this - will be as nice to you as I am?” Suho glared. He was trying his best to imitate the scary gangsters he had seen on television. Apparently it worked because Tao was down on his knees in a second, pleading.

“I just- I was so angry about that contest when I said yes and…and – I swear I wasn’t going to. I was not going to go through with it! I promise! Please, please, please don’t tell Hun-ah…I mean Sehun!” Tao was crying now.

“If you are sorry then I need your help.” Suho threw the file down on the coffee table “Tell me everything- from the beginning.”

Tao nodded, the tears streaming. He launched into a rambling, sniffle filled account of events. He met Kris one night at friend’s party. He was nice, they hung out a few times. Eventually Kris asked Tao for a favor out of the blue. Well, not completely out of the blue. Tao had rambled on and on about a past relationship with a certain heir to a Korean company.

Kris, who Tao adamantly swore he never dated, asked Tao for a favor with amazing reasoning - revenge. Hadn’t Sehun used him, after all? Maybe Tao should meet that certain heir again and get some compromising pictures of him. And Kris? He would be there for another reason. He fully admitted he wanted money and that blackmail was going to be the means to an end. Tao, meanwhile, would get to see the betrayal in Sehun’s eyes at the reality that he had been so fooled.

“And to think they were stupid enough to put most of that in writing.” Suho remarked after Tao had explained the situation. “I mean, an email asking that and everything. Kris is not the sharpest crayon in the box, is he?”

“What do you mean?” Tao asked, still sniffling.

“I mean, this is good enough to take to the police.” Suho grabbed the folder.

“No! Please! Don’t tell Sehun, don’t go to the police! I wasn’t going to do it. I swear!” Tao begged.

“Why do you think Kris asked you to take those pictures?” Suho asked.

“He was going to blackmail your family.” Tao answered, his naivety evident.

Suho considered everything. It was pretty clear that Tao was not a part of the bigger plan – if there was one – that involved the Lu’s. He finally took pity on the younger man.

“I won’t tell Sehun, but you better swear to me you will not be talking to Kris any more, got it?”

Tao nodded.

“If you are lying to me I will tell Sehun everything.” Suho tried to look fierce.

Tao nodded again.

“Good.” Suho stood up, taking the folder with him “Take good care of my little brother or you won’t see the last of me.”

“Thank you. I will.” Tao blurted out, his words hurried and full of emotion.

When Tao’s front door shut he crumpled onto the ground. He had screwed up, why was he so stupid.

 “He didn’t have anything to do with it.” Suho typed the words to Sehun as he left the apartment building. He hoped he wouldn’t regret it. He hailed a cab back to the office. There was still a lot of work to be done if the executive staff of Monday Enterprises hoped to stay out of jail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n- gotz real – I hope the Tao/Suho moment offered at least some comic relief!

So, what would you do if your love would destroy your family and send you to jail? Aish! Poor Xiuhan! *dodges projectiles that should be thrown at me*

Thanks for subbing, commenting, reading, and voting. ^x^ I promise that all of the bad in this story will eventually turn into happiness – everyone just needs to get through the impending storm.