Chapter 10

Marry Him If You Dare

Warning- not nice things ahead in the first part of this chapter. Please be patient- this is a long chapter and needed to happen to develop the plot and the characters. The second part of this chapter is more unicorn and rainbow like. And you can always curse at me in the comments, so hang in there -L

Three weeks had gone by since Mrs. Lu had graced Monday Enterprises with her presence. Or more like cursed Monday Enterprises with her presence, because nothing had gone right after her appearance. The Monday Mall project was in disarray as Sehun struggled to understand the ins and outs of leading such a large project. It didn’t help that Tao had went from not talking to him to quitting, leaving Sehun a note and nothing more.

Suho was having an even worse time. Jongdae had found a new job, and still wouldn’t speak to him. Suho hadn’t even found the courage to attend the going away party.

Baekhyun was in even less of a happy place. Kyungsoo had announced one evening that he had finally gotten a date. With Mr. Fix-stuff-bronzed-god no less. Baekhyun had immediately asked for a transfer in his law firm, so he wouldn’t have to work with Monday Enterprises any more.

Luhan had taken his Mother’s appearance hard – in that he profusely apologize to Minseok every day for her actions. But despite the rain cloud things were going okay in their relationship. Their morning talks grew longer, their kisses deeper. They even managed a date to an amusement park, which had Luhan refusing to ride anything (too afraid of heights and spinney things) and Minseok happy to just hold Luhan‘s hand and buy him cotton candy and a funny deer antlers headband. And then the rain cloud burst.

 Minseok wasn’t sure how she had found out about the contest, but she had. It could have been through office gossip, lord knew the news had made it through the place like wildfire. Of course facts had been distorted – like how it was the first brother to get married and have a child. Or the first brother to have a steady boyfriend. Or that the Kang parents hadn’t made the order, the funny and scary uncles had. It didn’t really matter.

What mattered was Luhan’s face that day. Minseok could never forget it. He had been worried all day because Luhan hadn’t called him, texted him, or emailed him. It was a rare thing for any of these things to not happen in a day. His anxiety was confirmed when he came home that night and found Luhan sitting on the couch, his expression solemn.

“Hey” Minseok sat down next to him, “Are you okay?”

“I saw my Mother today.” Luhan spoke slowly.

“Is everything alright?”

“Did your parents put you and your brothers in a contest?” Luhan asked, his eyes wide, like he was trying to wish – to hope against all hope it was a lie.

Minseok didn’t answer right away. His heart was beating too fast for him to chance it. It was at that moment Luhan knew without a doubt it was true. As he stood up Minseok reached out a hand “Lu, I – let me explain.”

“Ha. And I thought you actually liked me.” Luhan was hurt, so hurt he couldn’t even stand to look at Minseok anymore. So hurt he didn’t bother to pack up everything he had scattered around the apartment. He took his wallet, what was in his suitcase, and that was it.

Minseok watched him go, tears streaming down his cheeks. Luhan never looked back, and that hurt more than anything.

***

“It was wrong of us.” Ji Hyo had been crying too, “I am a horrible Mother.”

Gary held his wife as her shoulders shook “We didn’t know. Shhh.”

“We should have.”

“We’ll call it off Mongji.” Gary hated seeing his wife cry more than anything. “We were wrong.”

When Ji Hyo found out about Luhan leaving she was devastated. It wasn’t hard to see how much her other three sons were struggling as well. Their plan to see their sons find husbands had horribly back fired, the four of them were more miserable than ever.

The Uncles had stopped by that night, and they had commiserated together, decided they had all been wrong. And that was a huge thing for all seven of them to do, especially together.

The next day Ji Hyo and Gary took their sons out for ice cream, causing a lot of grumbling about how they were not five years old any more. They were no longer grumbling when their parents, their Mother with noticeably swollen eyes, announced the contest had ended. They wouldn’t be retiring any time soon.

Each son hugged their mother longer than usual that day, as if they were trying to tell her they were not mad at her, it wasn’t her fault. If anything it was theirs, because they were the Kang brothers through and through. Hard to get along with and harder to love. And she shouldn’t be sad about that.

“I just want you guys to be happy” She had wiped a tear away, patting her son’s on the head like they were indeed her little boys.

“We will be” Minseok answered, faking a smile weakly.

---------------------------------------------

Three Years Later

Clothes were flying left and right, landing all over the room.

“Ya! You are making a mess!” Lizzy stood in the doorway, her hands on her hips.

Sehun ignored her, too busy searching for the sweatshirt.

“Are you looking for that smelly old thing? I took it to the cleaners.”

“What?! You did what?!” Sehun felt sick. It was his sweatshirt, what did Lizzy think she was doing? Ever since he had moved back in with is parents (which he freely admitted had a lot to do with free meals and housekeeping) Lizzy had done things to piss him off. Like wake him up to get to work on time. The nerve. And now she had done the unthinkable.

“What?! It had stains on it- how long has it been since you have been sleeping with that thing?” Lizzy was truly perplexed why the youngest Kang brother cuddled a sweatshirt in bed like it was a teddy bear. A dirty sweatshirt none the less.

“But that is MY SWEATSHIRT!” Well, it was his. Then it was Tao’s. For two weeks. Two beautiful weeks it had belonged to the man that had cursed Sehun’s every waking moment. It had been three years since Tao had left, and Sehun felt his absence more and more as time passed. Like how no matter which club he went to, who he hooked up with, they didn’t have that innocent but oddly worldly look. The excitement a certain island boy had. Or the smell. That was the most important thing. Because damn if Sehun hadn’t spent thirty six months with a dirty sweatshirt because of that scent. Because it smelled like Tao who smelled like heaven.

Sehun had tried to find him after he had left. He had found out rather quickly that Tao had not returned to his family on the island. Which was surprising. Where else would a rural young man end up but back in the safety of his hometown? Sehun had even hired a private detective but it had been fruitless, Tao had disappeared without a trace. And now so had the last thing Sehun had – other than that note.

“Well, you live here now and I am in charge of keeping this place clean.” Lizzy shut the door a tad too hard on her way out.

Sehun felt like a panic attack was coming on. Stupid ing Lizzy.

***

Jongdae was swamped. He had gotten used to being so single threaded, in the last three years he had witnessed the finance department at Min and Sons shrink. Now he was doing four peoples job, but in a way he was happy. Because being so busy meant he had no time to think about other things. Like how he still missed a certain idiotic smug full-of-himself heir. Until that idiotic smug full-of-himself heir’s assistants came calling that is.

It was an email first. An adorable picture of a kitten sent by his old subordinate Irene. “We Miss you” It said. Touching, Jongdae thought, moving the email to his personal folder. Then the next day Tayaeng, another one of his former co-workers, sent him an email. “We should get lunch sometime”. Jongdae sent back a quick “Sure” thinking that was the end of it.

A week later Irene was at Jongdae’s office at lunch time, holding up some coffee and bagels. They chatted, all small talk, carefully avoiding the subject of Suho. And then Tayaeng stopped by the next week, eating with Jongdae and asking if the next day they could all meet for lunch. Jongdae said yes, happy that his juniors remembered him. How wrong he was.

As he entered the restaurant for their lunch date his phone buzzed. It was a text.

Sorry, forgive us. He has been a terror lately. You were always the only one who could calm him down. – Tayaeng.

Jongdae was about to send back something rather unfriendly when he heard his name called. By him.

“Jongdae, is that you?”

Jongdae looked up, Suho was standing by a table, clearly surprised.

“Hyung?” Jongdae smiled. He was in too deep now, there was no escape. As he sat down he had to admit the last three years had been kind to Suho. His hair was bleach blonde now, his face showing a few more years but making him look more handsome. God damn Irene and Tayaeng.

***

“Lucky you” Bobby leaned over Baekhyun’s desk, grinning from ear to ear.

“Why?” Baekhyun asked, annoyed. Bobby was too hyper for even Baekhyun to handle. He was shocked that his Father hired him onto the law firm, even more shocked when he had been promoted to handle the highest profile clients. He was charismatic, Baekhyun had to give him that. But being too charismatic could border on annoying.

“Looks like you have a dinner date with the Choi’s- at their restaurant.” Bobby wiggled his eyebrows “Booze! That means free booze!”

“Great. Good. Sure. Now leave.” Baekhyun didn’t bother to look at Bobby as he shooed him away. It wasn’t really a surprise. Three out of five days Baekhyun was working late meeting clients. Sometimes it was in the office, sometimes it was at their restaurants over dinner. Of course the Choi’s had an impressive empire of upscale restaurants, their wine selection was legendary.

In the last three years Baekhyun had developed into a more serious person, so much so his family and friends were never afraid to remind him of it. Or tell him to let loose. Of course Chanyeol and Yixing knew exactly what had happened to make him like this, but they were nice enough to not bring it up.

It had started with Kyungsoo and Jongin dating. It had started with Baekhyun giving up any chance with the one man he had loved for years. It had continued with bits and pieces of news finding its way to Baekhyun – through acquaintances. Kyungsoo was so happy now. Kyungsoo was doing great. Kyungsoo never called him anymore. Kyungsoo didn’t care he wasn’t around (okay, this part Baekhyun had decided was true, he didn’t actually confirm it). Kyungsoo broke up with Jongin and still never called.

Baekhyun sighed heavily, his desk phone ringing. The past hurt.

***

 “I got you a date.” Chanyeol swung an arm over Sehun’s shoulders, rubbing his head vigorously.

“Hey!” Sehun tried to get away but Chanyeol had a death grip on him.

“Aren’t you going to thank me?”

“Who is it this time?” Sehun humored Chanyeol and his blind dates for the most part, but nothing ever worked out. Because they weren’t Tao. Not that Sehun ever told Chanyeol that.

“He is a doctor! Ohhhhh?! Huh?”

Sehun groaned “Where am I meeting him?”

“That, my little one, is the fun part. It is Seoul fashion week and you are having a date at one of the newest designer’s shows.”

“When and where?” Sehun grumbled.

“Eight o’clock, he’ll pick you up. Remember to look pretty.” Chanyeol shot love bullets at Sehun, having a stack of papers thrown at him in return.

***

Jeju Island was touristy. But it was beautiful. Minseok had been relieved that his latest business sent him to a place that was not only great to look at but relaxing as well. He needed it. Late nights, long days, and barely a day off had taken its toll. If he could get in a few hours at the spa and another couple hours taking a much needed walk near Mount Halla he would be happy.

“Hyung, the files are here.” Yixing held up the stack of folders, pulling them from his briefcase.

“Thanks. Any more information on the negotiations?” Minseok was in the back seat of the black car, Yixing next to him. They were on their way to the resort, intense negotiations ahead. Monday Enterprises already operated a hotel on the island, but they were interested in piece of property that was being sold, an existing resort on the property ready for their renovations. Another company was interested at well but a veil of secrecy had been thrown on the negotiations.

Minseok was worried, because a lack of information was dangerous. The property owners had been in talks with this other company and were holding out on Monday Enterprises. It had taken Minseok a lot of wheeling and dealing to get them to agree to a meeting, which they insisted included the competition. Because they had to see what both companies could offer. It was an extremely unideal situation.

“Word is they are Chinese.”

“Will you interpret?” Minseok started ruffling through the files.

“Gladly” Yixing replied.

***

“You look good.” Suho couldn’t stop staring. Well, looking is how he wanted to think of it but to everyone else he was staring. Because he hadn’t seen his best friend – his, well he still was coming to terms with that - in three years.

“So do you hyung.” Jongdae sipped his strawberry lemonade, still cursing Irene and Tayaeng’s duplicity.

“Do you like your new job? I mean your job, I guess it isn’t new.” Suho asked.

“Yeah. How are things at the office?” Jongdae cursed himself, he should have said at your office.

“Good. I mean we are busy and the new analyst can’t seem to figure anything out and “Suho looked like he was on the verge of tears “Can’t you come back?”

Jongdae swallowed. So Suho was the same after all this time. Essentially ordering him around, not considering that there was a reason that Jongdae might not be all gung ho about working toget-

“And go to dinner with me? Like a date?”

Jongdae wasn’t sure what to do next. Was this Suho that he was sitting across from?

“Listen, I was an . I know it” Suho spoke the words without looking at Jongdae. He looked at the wall, the floor, the wall again. So he had changed – but not entirely “And I am sorry for that. And I want you to come back. And I want you to give me a chance. If you can that is.”

It was a heavy silence. A deafening silence. And then an answer. “I’ll come back. On certain conditions”

“What?” Suho asked, his face growing bright at the prospect of having his best friend back.

“I want a raise. And a promotion. And I don’t want to go to dinner - yet.”

“Yes, yes, and yes.” Suho was pretty sure he was having the best day ever.

***

The competitors were already in the conference room when the Monday Enterprises team arrived. Minseok was not exactly happy about the fact, he had made a point to be early. But he couldn’t really do anything about it so he walked into the room confidently, shaking the property owners hand firmly.

“It is nice to finally meet you in person.” Minseok flashed a smile “I look forward to our meeting.”

“Hyung” Yixing whispered, nudging Minseok. He turned, annoyed at the interruption. Greeting the prospective seller was important, Yixing should know better. When Minseok saw where Yixing’s eyes were darting in panic Minseok felt like he might be sick. Sitting on one side of the long table was the competition. More importantly sitting in the middle of the line of men was someone very familiar. Minseok’s heart dropped.

It was Luhan.

“Lu Industries.” The seller motioned towards the men, gaining their attention.

Luhan made eye contact with Minseok. And time stopped – for both of them.

***

Sehun had tried not to look pretty. When Chanyeol set him up on blind dates he usually went for a “bum” look. And this time he had just the attire, since his ruined sweatshirt had come back from the cleaners complete with the ketchup stain still present (thanks to Tao dropping a corn dog on the garment one evening as they ate at a street cart). Perfect, just perfect, to drive any prospective non-Tao suitors away.

The doctor – Sehun didn’t bother to remember his name – was short. And had acne. And snorted when he laughed. He dressed nicely though, which was great since Sehun was dressed like he was homeless (which clearly upset the man, as he eyed Sehun up and down).

As their car made its way through Seoul towards the fashion event the doctor talked about the weather and the latest current events. Sehun nodded and every once in a while muttered a “Yep” but mainly stared out the window. He hoped the fashion show would be worth it at least.

When the car stopped Sehun reached for the handle, ready to get out and suffer through more of the boring doctor’s small talk. He was stopped when the doctor grasped his arm roughly. Sehun barely had time to register the fact the driver had gotten out of the car before the doctor was practically on top of him, all wet kisses and hands.

Sehun tried to shove him off, but the small man was surprisingly strong.

“Fun before the show, huh” The doctor growled, trying his best to remove Sehun’s shirt. Sehun fought back, pushing the man off and managing to get the door open while yelling a lot of obscenities that he was sure the entire city heard, including the words ‘ freak doctor’ in between words any decent censor would bleep.

As Sehun stumbled from the car, ready to turn and punch the doctor’s lights out, he felt a rush of air. In that someone had just ran past him, towards the car. Suddenly the doctor was in front of Sehun, being held up by the collar. Held up by…

“Tao” Sehun whispered, not believing his eyes.

“You touch him again and I will kill you.” Tao threw the man to the ground.

And in that moment Sehun was more certain than ever that he wanted one thing in life. And that wasn’t to run Monday Enterprises. Or drink more bubble tea than any other human being ever. Or live the high life. Or never ever have Pinku Pinku disappear. It was to have Tao do that again, because damn was that hot.

“Hun-ah” Tao smiled, “Are you okay?”

Sehun nodded dumbly. Damn was he ever okay. In fact he was pretty sure he was having the best day ever.

***

The negotiations were a complete and total failure. At least they were a complete and total failure on both sides. Minseok and Luhan had not exactly collected their thoughts after their chance meeting, leaving their subordinates confused as to what do next when their leaders were effectively full of “We need to review the proposal” and words loaded with innuendo no one seemed to understand (but Yixing who watched the proceedings nervously).

“If you can commit to it without ulterior motives” Luhan spat, narrowing his eyes at Minseok.

“Monday Enterprises can commit. Assuming Lu Industries is capable of listening to a full explanation of how.” Minseok responded.

Finally the seller adjourned the meeting, uncomfortable with the tension in the room. He called for negotiations to continue during their next meeting, scheduled for the following day.

 As the meeting was adjourned, Yixing grabbed Minseok by the arm “Are you okay?”

“Of course.” Minseok answered a little too loudly “It is just business.”

Luhan looked at him after overhearing his words, anger evident in his expression.

“It is hard to deal with less than honest competitors.” Luhan told his own team, loud enough for Minseok to hear.

Before Minseok could answer Luhan’s indirect insult Yixing was pushing him towards the door. “Not now hyung.” Yixing wanted to tell him “not ever” but he bit his tongue. Because he knew better than anyone Minseok was hard headed and would never listen. Not now. Not facing Luhan after all these years.

***

Baekhyun liked fine wine so it was not surprising that he was on his third glass. The Choi’s restaurant possessed an amazing ambiance, all low lighting and secluded booths that made diners feel like they were all in some kind of VIP section regardless of which area they were seated in.

Baekhyun had finished talking business, his dinner of Chilean sea bass was complete. Stuffed, he savored the wine and the friendly conversation that his clients provided.

“Your Father speaks highly of you.” Mrs. Choi sipped her champagne. Baekhyun was surprised to find that one of the owners of a restaurant famous for their wine selection preferred champagne instead.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun responded, not sure if his response was proper or not.

“You seem like such a nice young man.” Mr. Choi added, “You should meet our daughter.”

“Thank you that would be wonderful.” Baekhyun responded, being polite. The flattery continued for a few minutes, until Baekhyun excused himself to the restroom.

As Baekhyun made his way to the bathrooms, located at the far end of the restaurant, he was given pause. One of the more secluded booths in the far corner of the place, was loud with conversation. Baekhyun watched as someone from another table walked past the booth, only to stop.

“Kang Kyungsoo!”

Baekhyun froze. Kyungsoo? His Kyungsoo?

“Jongin” Kyungsoo whispered, looking at the booth.

“Are you here alone?”  The voice, Baekhyun recognized as Jongin, asked – a slight tone of mockery present.

Kyungsoo looked ready to burst into tears. And then something took over Baekhyun. Something reckless, something not exactly proper. He had heard through rumors how it had happened – how Jongin had left Kyungsoo for Taemin. How Taemin and Jongin had been friends since high school, how Jongin had one singular target at Monday Enterprises and that was Taemin. How the handsome builder’s son had used Kyungsoo to get close to Taemin.

Baekhyun had thought about it – even when he wished he would not. How Kyungsoo probably felt betrayed. How he probably cried himself to sleep, maybe even watching the b-movies they used to watch together.

Baekhyun had considered more than once calling Kyungsoo to comfort him after he heard how ugly the break up was. But he never felt like he could because it would be too painful. And Baekhyun always felt selfish about that. Which he recklessly decided to rectify.

It was a few wide strides, a hand on Kyungsoo’s neck, a small noise of surprise, and then they were kissing. Kyungsoo tensed at first, then gave in, returning the kiss with passion. Baekhyun deepened the kiss, ignoring the world as he claimed what he had wanted for so long.

“No, he is with me.” Baekhyun broke their kiss, pulling Kyungsoo close and leading him away from a shocked Jongin and Taemin – shooting Jongin a glare for emphasis.

When they were near the restroom Kyungsoo pushed away “Baek?”

“The one and only.”

Kyungsoo just stared “I didn’t know you could kiss like that.”

“You never asked.” Baekhyun smiled. Damn was he having the best day ever.

***

It was well past twelve o’clock at night. Minseok was still tossing and turning, the events of the day playing again and again in his mind. Luhan. It was Luhan that kept him awake. Damn. Finally the eldest Kang brother gave up on sleep. Pulling on his jeans and a hoodie he decided it was time for a walk.

The resort was nearly deserted at this time of night, a few inebriated patrons stumbling back to their rooms, a few night owls busy in the fitness center. Minseok nodded at the night staff as he exited the hotel, ready to soak in some of the warm ocean breeze.

The beach – the beach he hoped soon belonged to his family (because they had major plans for an expansion of the beach area, with trucks of white sand hauled in) – was peaceful. Minseok watched the waves lap against the shore, relishing the salty air. The night sky was clear on the island, at least on this part of the island. It was beautiful, it was just what he needed.

Luhan, why of all people did he have to see Luhan. And he was working for his parents now? The thought made Minseok sad, to see someone who was previously so involved in charitable causes, to suddenly be into the ugly corporate world.

After a half an hour of soaking up the night air Minseok made his way back to the hotel, his mind still troubled but his body relaxed from the stroll and time at the beach. As he rounded the corner to his room he stopped. Luhan was there, fumbling with his key to enter his own room. Minseok considered approaching him, but it turned out he didn’t have to. Luhan noticed him first.

Luhan turned his head looking down the hallway at Minseok he swayed, catching himself against his door. He was obviously intoxicated.

“Lu-“Minseok shouldn’t have said it, shouldn’t have walked forward to catch the Chinese man in his arms as he fell.

Luhan let Minseok catch him, let his head fall against Minseok.

“Can I sleep with you tonight?” Luhan asked, slurring his words.

“You are drunk.” Minseok responded “Let’s get you to bed.”

“I love you. Still.” Luhan grabbed at Minseok’s shirt collar, trying to pull him closer. It worked, Luhan planting a sloppy kiss on Minseok “Baozi. My Baozi.”

Minseok was an idiot. He was certain of it. Because he made the next move, because he needed to. He kissed Luhan, who tasted of wine. It was a heady kiss, it was – amazing. And he couldn’t stop. He was having the best/worst day ever.

***

Gary and Ji Hyo were watching a morning show, laughing their heads off as they poked each other now and then, playfully remarking on the frivolous segments of the program.

“Oppa!”

“What?” Gary responded, tickling Ji Hyo with a huge smile on his face.

Then the kid showed up. Not their kid, but he might as well have been.

“Hi Mom and Dad.” Chanyeol sat down next to them, stopping their middle age flirting session. “News for you!”

Ji Hyo and Gary eyed Chanyeol suspiciously.

“Seems like love is in the air.” Chanyeol made a weird waving motion with his hand “Let’s just say your babies have found what they have been looking for.”

Ji Hyo brightened, hitting Gary playfully “They have?!”

“You better not be joking.” Gary gave Chanyeol a stern look.

“Nope. They all texted me. Seems like it is game on.” Chanyeol put on his serious face “Looks like Tao, Baek, Lu, and Jongdae are back in the picture.”

“Game on? Like contest on?” Kwang Soo weighed in. Chanyeol looked surprised, having not noticed the lanky man lying on the couch on the far side of the room.

Gary and Ji Hyo looked at each other. It was a bad idea, it had been the first time. Ji Hyo threw a pillow at Kwang Soo “Let’s wait until they confirm their relationship status first.”

“Race start?!” Suk JIn exclaimed, causing Chanyeol to look surprised once again. The oldest of the uncles had been sitting at the dining room table all along. Who else was there?

“I say let them start dating then we” Haha made a boom noise, throwing his hands up “We lay it on them.” Chanyeol jumped as Haha walked out from the hallway, a newspaper under his arm

“I don’t’ think that is a good idea-“Ji Hyo said slowly.

“Yah! How else are you guys going to retire?” Jong Kook sat down on the sofa next to Gary.

“Where do you guys even come from?” Chanyeol asked, perplexed.

“Wouldn’t you like to know little one.” Jae Suk ruffled Chanyeol’s hair “But you are too young for that.”

Chanyeol sighed. Sometimes Monday Enterprises was the best and worst place in the world – at the same time.

---------------------

a/n- Love it? Hate it? I needed this time jump for our characters to “grow up”. I promise it won’t kill our OTPS, or Running Man’s place in this story. Plus Xiuhan made out- kind of! *Dodges projectiles* Please trust me <3

And if you have commented, subbed, voted, or read thank you! Have some Xiuhan luvs: