The Day I Became a Brother. -- Donghae

One great big happy family -- (kid!SuJu)

Title: The Day I Became a Brother. 

Rating: PG?

Pairing(s): ShiHan, kid!HyukHae, KangTeuk, brothers!henHae, brothers!KyuHyuk.

Summary: When Donghae sees his dads’ so sad one day, he didn’t realize that later he himself would be so happy!

Genre: Fluff, some angst.
 



Donghae could tell something was wrong. He had just come home after playing with his neighbour and bestest friend EVER Hyukjae to find his Baba Hankyung on the phone, crying. Appa Siwon had an arm around him too, trying to console him.

The second Hankyung spotted his son Donghae he wiped his eyes and immediately tried to compose himself. Especially when tears seemed to spring up in Donghae’s eyes from seeing his strong Baba like that.

Without even saying anything he went up to his two dads’s and crawled up into their laps and just sat there. Even if he was going on eight soon, he still fit perfectly onto their laps like that. He didn’t know why his Baba was so upset, but that was okay. Because now he was there too.


The next day after watching his dads pack him a bag, Donghae was sat down on their couch.

“Donghae. Son.” Hankyung started, sitting across from him on the coffee table, “Your appa and I are going to be gone for a few days. You’re going to stay with Hyukjae while we’re gone, okay?

His face immediately fell. Gone? And without him!?

As he sensed this distress, Hankyung moved so that he was sitting next to him on the couch, hugging him sideways before continuing.

“Ohh, don’t be sad. It’s too far away where we are going. Besides, you still have to go to school. And I know how much you love school.” It was true. Donghae loved school—at school he got to see ALL of his friends, including Hyukjae!

“You’ll come back right?” Donghae asked, moving to look at Siwon as he came into the room with a few suitcases, including Donghae’s bag.

“Oh, Donghae… Of course we’re going to come back.” Hankyung said, glancing up to Siwon. The pair shared one of those private adult conversations with their eyes before Siwon nodded. “We’re even going to be bringing you a present… of sorts.”

Immediately the 7, nearly 8, year-old’s eyes lit up! Because really, who didn’t like presents?

“Okay! I’ll be good boy, don’t worry!” Only good boys got presents, so of course Donghae had to be a good boy!

It was so endearing. Watching his son be so absolutely adorable and cute almost brought fresh tears to Hankyung’s eyes, and he had to stand up to hide that fact, pressing his face against Siwon’s shoulder for now.

“Son.” Siwon started, seeing how Hankyung was, held out Donghae’s bag for him. “I packed everything in here you need. Why don’t you go run over to Hyukjae’s now, and we’ll come stop over to say goodbye before we leave, all right?”

Donghae snatched up the bag and gone before they could hear his ‘Okay!’ that he shouted.
 



“So, Hae, you’re going to be staying here for four whole days right!?” Hyukjae was SO excited to have his bestest fishy friend staying over at his house again! They’d had their first sleep over during the past fall break, just for one night, and it had been so much fun! But the pair had also got into so much trouble too so Donghae was a little worried.

“I am Hyukkie, I am! But we have to be good! If I’m not good, I won’t—I won’t get my present. And I really want my present!” Donghae had been sitting on Hyukjae’s bed; because of course they shared the bed when he slept over.

“Whaaatttt~? I want a present!” Hyukjae was immediately jealous of Donghae’s present. Not only did he get to spend time with HIM, the bestest Hyukkie ever, but he got a PRESENT too!? That’s no fair!

“I’m here Hyukkie! That is a present, right?” And he pounced on his friend with a big hug.

“Oh yeah! Eeek!” Hae’s hug was returned, the pair now suddenly wrestling on the bed—at least until Leeteuk yelled up from downstairs, “Donghae-ah! Your appas are here!”

“APPA! BABA!” Donghae detached himself from Hyukjae and went flying down the stairs, going for the first pair of long legs he saw, Hankyung’s, and clung onto them like a koala.

“Aw, Donghae. Don’t I get a hug too?” Siwon crouched down next to his clinging son. In an instant Hae changed his clinging target and snuggled into Siwon’s neck; this lead to Siwon picking him up, giving Donghae a sandwiched hug between him and Hankyung.

“Aww, Youngwoonie-ah~ Aren’t they just picture perfect?” Leeteuk said to Kangin, whom he was leaning against naturally after seeing such a cute little family.

Kangin put his arm around Leeteuk and nodded, “They really are. So, Siwon-sshi, when is the fuu…. The F-U-N-E-R-A-L?” Kangin switched to spelling out the word, not wanting to announce in front Donghae where it was his parents were going exactly.

But Donghae was smart. He was almost eight years old after all! He knew how to spell ‘fun’!

“Fun? You’re going a fun without me!?”

“Ais-…” Hankyung cleared his throat and took Donghae from Siwon, setting him down on the ground. “Donghae, why don’t you go find Hyukjae, hmm? Appa and Baba need to talk to Uncle Teukkie and Uncle Kangin, okay?”

“But!”

“No buts! You said yourself, you have to be good to get your present, so be a good boy now and go find Hyukjae. We’ll come say good bye in a minute.”

Donghae was still pouting though, even as he turned to do as he was told.


Only to be snatched by the arm behind the wall in the hallway.

“Kyuhyun-sshi?”

“Shhh. You don’t want them to see you right? You wanna hear what they gotta say, right? Then shhhh and watch from here.” Kyuhyun, Hyukjae’s younger brother, was a very smart little kid and he knew all about stuff like this. If you wanted to hear what the adults had to say, you had to hide.

“Hi fishy!” Apparently Hyukjae was there too, lying on the floor as he peaked in on the conversation their parents were having.

 



“So when is the funeral, Hankyung?” Kangin asked now that the adults were by themselves.

“In two days. Tomorrow is the wake, which we’ll just make since we’re flying out tonight.” Hankyung replied, already leaning against Siwon for support. He looked obviously tired and drained.

“I’m very sorry for your loss—and that poor little kid… What did you say his name was again?” Leeteuk was in a similar position next to Kangin, sad at the thought of the orphaned child.

“Hanry.” Replied Hankyung, “They gave him an English name since he was born in Canada…"

“We talked to Andy’s parents, they said that he really wanted Geng-ge to take in Henry if anything were to ever happened to him.”

“I’m his ‘godfather’.” Hankyung said with a little laugh, choking on a sob, covering his mouth with his hand as he ce more into Siwon. “I never thought that…”

“Shh, shh.” Siwon said, rubbing Hankyung’s arm soothingly. Leeteuk too reached out in a wish to console the tall China man.

The set of adults shared a moment of silence, before Leeteuk broke it by asking, “So you’ll be coming back with Henli then?”

“Yeh,” Hankyung nodded, wiping his eyes, “Everything will happen officially over the next few days while we’re in China.”

“Well. Have a safe trip then.” Kangin said, holding out a hand to shake Siwon’s, which he did with a nice firm grip.

“Thanks hyung.” Siwon said and Hankyung just nodded silently in agreement.
 



“Donghae!” Hankyung called out when they were done with their conversation and it took a careful arm for all three of them to not fall from their hiding spot as Donghae went to run to his Baba.

“Are you leaving now?” He asked as Hankyung picked him up to hug him once more, giving him a kiss before passing him to Siwon who did the same thing.

“We are. But we’ll be back in a few days—with your present, remember?”

“YEAH I remember! I’ll be good so I can get my present.”

“All right, that’s what I hoped.” Hankyung replied, ruffling his son’s hair before Siwon set him down. ShiHan took each other’s hands then, Siwon leading his husband out of the door. “Thank you again Leeteuk-hyung and you too Kangin.”

A final wave was given by the parents, though Donghae stayed at the door waving with both arms as they got in the car and left.
 



That night in bed, curled up with Hyukjae, Donghae was still awake thinking about what his parents had said. And finally it was too much for him, so he poked at the boy sleeping next to him.

“Hyukkie. Hyukkie. Hyukkie! Are you still awake?” The question only posed once he had certainly woke him up.

“What is it Hae..?” asked the tired monkey, rubbing his eyes as he rolled onto his back to face his friend.

“What do you think a Henli is? Do you think that’s my present?” Donghae’s eyes were so big and innocent as he asked that, it was just adorable. Even Hyukjae thought it was cute.

“I think a Henli is a person. And persons can’t be presents.”

“A person? Why would they be bringing home a persons from the fun they’re going to.” Donghae was clearly convinced that they were going to go have fun without him.

“Aw, fishy~ This is why I’m 8 and you are 7.” And Hyukjae just gave him a hug from the front, nuzzling back into him to go back to sleep.

“Yah! The only reason you’re 8 and I’m not is you were born before me! Stupid monkey!” And he pretended to beat him, but he couldn’t do it very well with how Hyukjae had clung into him so tightly. So Donghae let him win… this time.
 



As much as Donghae could try, he was a good boy during his stay at KangTeuk’s. For the most part anyway; there was that one incident with the blender but it was TOTALLY Hyukjae fault, even if it was Donghae’s idea! Even though Kyuhyun had been the one to suggest the blender in the first place! But other than that, Donghae’s stay had been nearly totally accident free.

So he was very excited about his present he was sure he was going to get, because he knew he had been a good boy—save the blender—and it was going to be a really good present!

Uncle Teuk had told Donghae that his parents would be back around 5 o’clock, so after watching for them at the window, Hyukkie dragged him away to play because ‘He was just as entertaining as the window!’

Eventually Siwon came to pick up Donghae and Leeteuk called up the stairs to him.

“Donghae! Your appa is here—”

The end of his statement was cut off by a loud, “APPPPPAAAA!!!” as well as a seemingly flying Donghae who jumped at Siwon to hug him hard.

“Woah!” Siwon was only half expecting that, stumbling backwards before picking up Donghae and giving him an equally big of hug back before a kiss as well. “Muah~ I take it you missed me?”

“I did!” Donghae said before holding out his arms wide, “THIS MUCH! And more too—where’s my present!?” In his arms, Donghae began to look behind Siwon’s back and at the floor, trying to figure out where he had hidden gift. “And where’s Baba!?” He then noticed the significant lack of his other Dad, and the look on his face showed that he was confused as to why. 

“Ah, he’s already home—he’s waiting for us with your present. Do you have your stuff all ready to go?” Siwon asked, just as Kangin showed up, Hyukjae trailing behind, with Donghae’s bag in hand.

“Right here buddy,” said Kangin, handing the bag over to Siwon even though Donghae was struggling to be let down, which Siwon did.

“Hyukkie! Imma go get my present now! Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” He gave his friend one last hug before returning to Siwon’s side, taking his Appa’s hand. “I’m ready to go now.”

‘Ugh, this kid’ Siwon thought with a dimpled smile and a shake of his head. “All right; let’s go home.”
 



Needless to say when Donghae got home, he was a bit shocked to see a little squishy cheeked kid sitting on his Baba’s lap. After running inside and skidding to a stop, Donghae with a slack-jaw just pointed.

“Donghae, it’s rude to point.” Siwon said, coming up behind the kid to urge him forward to Hankyung and the other child.

“But! Whose the kid?” Donghae retorted, going along with the pushing but glancing up to his appa and then forward to his baba and then up again before once more to Baba and the kid with the squishy cheeks.

“Donghae, son. Come here.” Hankyung patted the couch next to him and Donghae was there in a flash, finally taking to staring at the child in his lap. “Donghae… This—This is Hanry.”

"
Henli?” Donghae said, looking up to Hankyung and then back to the kid, “HI HENLI!” The loud noise caused Henry to go wide eyed, though really they weren’t much wider than before that moment.

“Shh, not so loud Donghae.” Hankyung said with a laugh.

“Why is Henli here, baba?”

“Hanry is going to be staying with us from now on.” Hankyung began tentatively, checking on Donghae’s reaction as he said the next part, “He’s going to be your new younger brother—isn’t that good?”

At first his eyes just bugged out and his jaw dropped open again. A younger brother!? Really!? Like how Hyukkie had Kyuhyunnie!? He really got to have one of his own!? The more that Donghae thought about it the more his eyes began to sparkle with joy at the idea. Any worry that Hankyung had was gone after seeing the look in his son’s eyes.

“Really? I get to have my own brother?” Donghae finally asked aloud, looking to both his Baba and then his Appa before last to Henry—Henry who was his new brother!

“Yup, your very own brother.” Hankyung then spoke to Henry softly in Mandarin and he nodded in reply to whatever it was that Hankyung had said.

I’m Henry!” He said in English, smiling brightly to Donghae.

Who was immediately taken by how cute he was! Suddenly both children were in Hankyung’s lap, Donghae smothering Henry with a huge hug.

“HENLI!! SO CUTE!! My brother~” He shouted as he hugged the small kid, who squeaked out of surprise before hugging him back with a fit of giggles!

Watching the scene take place in his lap, Hankyung just looked over to Siwon, who had joined them beside the couch. Hankyung took Siwon’s hand and held it with a squeeze, glad that this had turned out so well. And in response to his happiness Siwon leaned over to kiss Hankyung’s hand. Their picture perfect family was now made even more so with their newest addition.

 


A/N: sappy ending is very sappy. I don't ever like what I write to end it, honestly. Ohoh! And special thanks to Devon for helping me so many times with this fic!