End of Summer Picnic -- ShiHan / HenHae

One great big happy family -- (kid!SuJu)

It was already the end of summer. Han Geng couldn’t believe it; nearly six months had passed since Siwon and he had gone to China to get Henry and now their little boy would be going off to school in just a few short weeks. It was a common parental urge, not wanting to see your children grow up. In those few months Han Geng had grown rather fond of the chubby cheeked boy; their family had unexpectedly increased in size but the joy they felt was immeasurable.
 

To commemorate the start of Henry’s first year of school not just in Korea but ever Han Geng had decided that they would have a family picnic.
 

A huge basket of food was prepared by Han Geng while all Siwon had to do was to make sure that he would have the day off. Donghae made it his job to make sure that he and Henry had enough toys to play with.
 

“Henli!” Donghae shouted for his brother to come to their joint play room.
 

“Yeh?” The question asked when he showed up, swagger cap still on his head that Donghae had given him so long ago.
 

“You know tomorrow is our picnic with Appa and Baba right?” Donghae asked, earning a nod from Henry. “Well. Wanna help me pack us toys?”
 

Henry replied with a dropped jaw before nodding once again. “Yaay toys!” he shouted, having learned a decent amount of Korean in his six months there.
 

“Yeah! What kind do you wanna bring?” Donghae asked, pulling over a bag to put the toys in.
 

“Trucks,” Henry said first, going over to grab his favorite and put it in the bag. “Uhm… Violin.” That was just said with a point to Donghae and a nod since that toy was in his room.
 

“Those are obvious toys! Pick something different!”
 

“Uh. … Uh… Uhhm…. What’s. the…” Henry stuttered before just saying it in English, “Kite. I want to fly a kite.” Just the single word of the toy was in English while he spoke the rest in Korean.
 

“Ohhh… I dunno if we have one.” Donghae replied, glancing around their toy room.
 

“Wanna fly, Hae.” said Henry with a firm nod.
 

“I know Henli!” Donghae said, “I know!. … Let’s go looking for it!”
 

The two boys spent the next two hours before dinner searching for a kite which they did actually find in the end.
 

At dinner it was all Donghae could talk about—the picnic the next day.
 

“We’ll have to make sure to bring a camera, gege.” Siwon said with a large smile, enraptured with what his son was saying.
 

“I know,” replied Han Geng, “These boys will definitely do something fun.”
 

 

When it came time for them to leave, Donghae and Henry were ready before their parents. The two boys had helped each other, though mostly it was Donghae helping Henry, and they were waiting at the door for their parents.
 

“APPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!” Donghae yelled, “BAABBAAAAAAAA!” And Henry followed suit, yelling their parents’ names. “WE’RE READDDDYYYYY!!!”
 

“We know we know we know…” Siwon said with a grumble as he made it out of his and Han Geng’s shared bedroom, only to be pulled in for one last kiss. It wasn’t often Siwon was able to sleep in after all. Anyone who wasn’t a child could probably guess what was keeping them. Or…
 

“They must be having fun time.” Donghae said with a sage-like nod. “That’s what Hyukkie says anyway. When parents are late, it’s because they were having fun time.”
 

“Fun time?” Henry repeated those words, clearly confused. “Wif out us????” His face had fallen. How dare they have fun without them.
 

“Yuppers! It’s parents fun time and involves no children.”
 

“I dun wants no fun times wif out us.” There was a huge pout on Henry’s face but Donghae just smiled and pinched one of those squishy cheeks.
 

“Don’t worry. It doesn’t sound like a lot of fun anyway. Baba always sounds like he’s in pain.”
 

“All right.” Han Geng showed up then, fixing his shirt. “Let’s get going.”
 

 

The drive to the park was less than an hour, but it was long enough for Henry to fall asleep in his car seat.
 

When they finally arrived, Donghae took it upon himself to wake up Henry, saying his name softly and tell him, ‘Time to wake up’ in English. This was a very pleasant surprise for Han Geng who went to go tell his husband immediately, tugging at his sleeve.
 

“What is it Geng?”
 

“It’s Donghae and Hanri. He’s waking Hanri up by speaking English.”
 

“He is?” Questioned Siwon as he began to unload the car.
 

“Yeah!”
 

“Henry must have taught him… That is rather adorable.” Siwon had to pause to laugh, glancing into the car as Henry began to stir.
 

“Isn’t it? Our boys…” Han Geng had a rather large smile on his face as he thought about it again wishing he had recorded it.
 

 

Donghae lead Henry to their picnic area that Han Geng had been setting up, hand in hand, and once Henry was settled Donghae ran back to the car with their Appa for their bag of toys. Henry just sat on the blanket, rubbing his eyes.
 

“Baba… Hungwee….” He muttered softly, confusing Han Geng who didn’t fully understand his Korean.
 

“What was that baby?” He asked, emptying out the picnic basket.
 

“Hungweee… hungweee. Henli hungwee!” He repeated himself, getting the pronunciation of his own name wrong since he was still too little to know any better, not to mention that’s what Donghae and Hyukkie always called him.
 

But Han Geng remained confused, until Donghae arrived at the blanket just in time.
 

“Henli says he’s hungry, Baba.” He said with a smile.
 

“Yah! Hungwee!” Henry reiterated as if he made total sense; at least Donghae understood him.
 

“Haha…” Han Geng laughed softly, “Oh…” but was frowning as well. Part of him felt like a failure as a parent since he couldn’t understand his own son however he just reminded himself that Henry was still learning and his pronunciation wasn’t the greatest. Even he himself still speaks with a bit of an accent after all of his years in Korea.
 

Once Siwon got to their blanket with the last load from the car, everyone sat down to eat. Henry was delighted because Han Geng had brought lychees for him which had been his favorite food since he could chew. Donghae kept trying to dare him to stuff as many as he could into his mouth and if it weren’t for observant parents, Henry probably would have.
 

When they were all done eating, it was play time. Henry reached for the trucks first and said something to Donghae that made no sense to either parent but Donghae understood it perfectly. Soon the two were running around the blanket chasing one another.
 

After a few minutes Han Geng stopped Donghae and asked him what Henry had said.
 

“He wanted to race. But these are special flying trucks! Right Henli?” answered Donghae, holding the truck into the air.
 

“Yah! They be special fwing rucks!” Henry went after Donghae then with his truck, the other boy letting out a squeal before running away again.
 

Both parents stayed silent yet again as they watched the two children run around some more. Han Geng was leaning against Siwon when he made an observation about their kids.
 

“Siwon…”
 

“Yes, gege?” Siwon glanced down to the man who he was holding.
 

“Have you noticed that only Donghae can understand what Hanri says?” Han Geng’s eyes were watching Henry as he said that.
 

“Hmm… yes, a bit.” Siwon replied following his husband’s eyes to their children.
 

“Do you think that will be a problem for Hanri when he starts school?” Han Geng tore his eyes away from Henry then to look up at Siwon; he was obviously more than just a bit worried about this.
 

“I don’t know. School is going to be good for Henry either way… Kyuhyun will at least be in the same class as him?” Siwon tried to offer that as a consolation prize, but Han Geng just scoffed.
 

“Kyuhyun is a little devil.” He said blatantly, “He told Hanri that his parents were dead a few weeks ago.”
 

“He what!?” said Siwon in shock, eyebrows nearly in his hairline.
 

“Yeah… Jungsu-hyung told me. Apparently he scolded him finally and Kyuhyun apologized to Henry, but still…” Han Geng was shaking his head; he couldn’t even fathom what must have been going through Henry’s head when he heard that.
 

“So that’s why Henry hugged us so tight that day…” said Siwon while Han Geng nodded. “Well… Maybe we should try working on Henry’s language skills a bit more before he starts?”
 

“Maybe…” The parents’ thoughts and conversation were interrupted as both Donghae and Henry ran up to them.
 

“Apppaaaaa!!” A chorus of voices came before Siwon was tackled by his children. “Help us!”
 

“Yeah! Hewp. We wanna fly!” Henry added with a huge grin.
 

“You want to what?” asked Siwon.
 

“Fly!” They said together before Donghae produced that kite they had found yesterday.
 

“Oh! You want to fly the kite.” Siwon said, finally getting it while Han Geng gave him an, ‘I told you so’ look.
 

 

It took a couple of attempts, but soon Donghae and Henry’s kite was flying so high. Han Geng took some pictures of the three because it was just too endearing to pass up. He even took some pictures of the kite because Donghae and Henry had decided to write we ♥ Appa and Baba on it with a black permanent marker.
 

“Appa.” Henry said as he watched the kite in the air.
 

“Yes? What is it Henry.” Siwon was carefully holding onto the string of the kite so it wouldn’t get away from them.
 

“Wassat?” he asked, pointing up to the kite. Siwon followed the finger up to the kite while Donghae ran around jumping on the shadow of it.
 

“The kite?”
 

“YAH! I only says kite.” The English word came out again. “Says again Appa! Teach Henli!”
 

‘Such an enthusiastic young boy…’ Siwon thought with a smile before carefully saying the Korean for kite again so Henry could understand it better.
 

By the time the lesson was over, Henry could say/shout it perfectly fine and ran after Donghae to prove it.
 

“HAE Hae hae hae haehae! KITE!! I says kite naoooo~!” And Henry tackled his older brother to the ground, leaving Siwon with the kite.
 

After wrestling around on the ground for a bit, Donghae decided it was time for tag and got their parents to come and play the game as well. They were probably running around for an hour before Henry was out of energy and wound up falling asleep on the blanket. Donghae was also rather tuckered out but Siwon and Han Geng were able to get the car loaded up before he fell asleep. Both boys were asleep in the car on the way home.
 

 

Finding it and just about everything else about his kids adorable, Han Geng took a picture of them leaning against each other in the back seat.
 

“They’re good kids.” He said to Siwon after watching them sleep.
 

“Yeah. They are. “Siwon replied with a smile, glancing to him and then back to the road since he was driving.
 

“Donghae is such a good older brother for Hanri too…” Han Geng was close to tearing up; he had been so worried about Henry when he first learned that they would be adopting him. He couldn’t have imagined that things would turn out this well.
 

“Yes, he really is.” Siwon agreed once more.
 

“Even if we can’t understand Hanri half of the time.” Siwon laughed at that, but nodded.
 

“He’ll grow out of it eventually and we will understand him perfectly. We could probably even teach him Mandarin at some point as well.” This brought a huge smile to Han Geng’s face, nodding his approval to Siwon’s words.
 

“We’ll teach him.” He said, smiling at his husband.
 

“Yes. Yes we will.” The pair shared a kiss then since they were at a stop light while Donghae and Henry in the back seat squeezed each other’s held hands. It was as if even in their sleep they could tell their parents love for them and each other.