Path

Equations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: A lot of things surrounding Running Man lately, but... I'll continue where we left off.

 

“Where are you going?” Gary asked Jihyo as she got up from their bed.

“Grocery.” She said, smiling at Gary. He stopped her and gave her a kiss, telling her to sleep in. “I can’t, oppa… Your kid’s going to wake up soon. I need to get ready before she wakes up.”

“I’ll go.” Gary said. Jihyo smiled, patting her husband. “I’ll go with Keia. Just rest.” He said.

“Oppa…” Jihyo complained. “Don’t treat me like a sick person.”

“I’m not. I’m treating you how I should treat you.” Gary said. “And right now, you’re tired. And I don’t like that you’re just pushing the fact that we just… You know.” He said, unable to continue his sentence. Jihyo pursed her lips together and Gary sighed. “It’s ok to admit that you’re not fine. Don’t act like you are, cause I hate knowing that you’re putting up an act.”

“Oppa, there’s nothing we could’ve done.” She said. It got silent, and a little awkward. She fiddled with her fingers. Gary pulled himself up, and sat in front of Jihyo. He held her hands in his. She kept her eyes down, and she could feel her eyes trying to resist the urge to cry. They didn’t have time to grieve. They were always around people, around Keia. In front of her, they didn’t know what to do but smile. But when it was just the two of them, they could feel the emptiness.

“Am I making you cry?” Gary said, half-laughing, trying to make himself sound less sappy. Jihyo chuckled in her sobs. He pulled her closer to him, and held her tight. “That’s ok…” He said, his eyes were filled with tears as well. “It’s gonna be ok. We’re gonna be ok.” Jihyo’s cries were silent, but her tears pooled on Gary’s shirt. She, too, could feel his tears on her head. He smiled and kissed the top of her head. “My baby…” He said, chuckling. Jihyo smiled and kissed his arm, staying in his arms. Then, they heard Keia giggling by their door. Gary turned to see Keia while Jihyo hurriedly wiped her tears. Keia ran into Gary’s arms when he saw her.

“Appa and Eomma are hugging.” Keia said, giggling in Gary’s arms. Her parents then laughed along her and gave her kisses.

“How was your sleep?” Gary asked his daughter. Keia just nodded. “Let’s go to the supermarket with Appa.”

“What about Eomma?” Keia asked.

“Eomma…” Gary said, looking at Jihyo, not knowing what to say, “Eomma will rest.” He said.

“Wae?” She asked.

“Cause she’s tired.” Gary said, tickling Keia. “Come, let’s get ready.” He said, lifting her upside down and carrying her to her room. Jihyo laughed at the sight of their little family.

Gary was about to change Keia when he saw the Big Sister shirt. Keia saw it too and asked Gary to put that on her. Gary put it aside and looked at Keia.

“Keia-ya…” He said. Keia looked at him with a smile. He smiled back at her. “Do you like this t-shirt?” Keia nodded. “Why do you like it so much?” He asked with a smile. Keia shrugged. “Do you trust Appa?” Keia nodded. “Arasseo, then sit here for a while.” Keia sat in front of Gary, looking at him. “Do you think we can put this shirt to rest for a little while?” He asked. Keia just stared at him blankly.

“Wae?” She asked.

“Because Eomma will be sad if you keep wearing this.” He admitted.

“Then Keia will not wear it again.” Keia said, throwing the shirt away. Gary smiled at how hard Keia always tried to keep them happy. “But why does the shirt make Eomma sad?” Gary stopped, not knowing what to say.

“Well, what about the other clothes we got you? Don’t you think they’ll feel left out?” Gary said, trying to get himself out of the conversation. Thankfully for him, Keia just nodded and grabbed another shirt. Gary put on a white t-shirt on Keia and told her to say bye to Jihyo. They went and said goodbye to Jihyo before leaving for the supermarket.

Being the Mom that she was, Jihyo couldn’t help but notice Keia wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt. “Oppa, put a thicker jacket on her.” She said. “It’s cold outside.” Gary nodded and grabbed Keia’s jacket. He put it on her and closed their bedroom door so Jihyo could rest.

Once the door was shut and Jihyo heard the sound of car leaving, she let out a deep sigh, one she’d been holding for quite a while. She tried to close her eyes, but each time, she opened them again. She stayed silent, staring at their ceiling, and then faster than she could hold back her tears, they fell. She understood that it was probably not a good time either, but she can’t deny that she was grieving.

“Keia, what should we buy?” Gary asked. Keia was looking around. She got a chocolate bar and showed it to Gary. “Chocolate?” He asked. Keia nodded. “Andwae… You’ll rot your teeth.” Keia pouted.

“It’s not for me…” Keia said. Gary looked at her. “It’s for Eomma, cause Eomma is sad.”

“Geurae?” Gary asked. “Let’s get one then.” Keia’s face lit up immediately, and she put the chocolate in their basket. “We should get Eomma food too. Let’s stop by a restaurant, and buy some food.”

“Takeout?” Keia asked. Gary smiled and nodded. They picked things out, got their groceries, and then went to the restaurant to get some food for them and Jihyo. They went to one of their favorite restaurants near their house so it won’t take too long.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” Gary greeted as they walked in.

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo.” The owner said. “Annyeong, Keia…” Keia greeted the owner. “Where’s Eomma? Is she not coming?”

“Eomma is at home.” Keia replied. “We came to buy our lunch.”

“What do you want?” The owner asked. Gary ordered and they waited while the food was getting cooked. Keia leaned on Gary, a little tired after what happened the past days. Gary hugged her, and kissed the top of her head.

“Bae an gopa, Keia-ya?” He asked. Keia just stayed silent. Gary smiled.

“Here’s the food you ordered.” The owner came with the order, and Gary thanked her and left. Gary strapped Keia in her carseat and put the food aside.

“Why is Eomma so sad?” Keia asked, catching Gary off-guard as h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter