Chapter 2: Flashbacks.

Who Are You?

It was a normal weekday afternoon where usual customers paid a visit and chatted with Hyundo. Their loyal customers were all from around the neighborhood and were pretty close friends with the family. Hyundo joined them at their table.

"How's everything going?"

"As usual, nothing changed."

"By the way, I haven't seen Junghyuk around lately. Shouldn't he be discharged from the military already?"

Hyundo visibly froze at the question.

"Well.... He should be..... By now." Whispered Hyundo.

"Anyway, I gotta get going. See you again!" The customer waved and left after settling his bills.

"Minwoo! I'm going for a walk, you're in charge. Do not burn down the restaurant, ok?" And with that, Hyundo left. Minwoo can only sigh looking at his appa's trail.

After Junghyuk's disappearance, Minwoo had to step up and fill his shoes. He tried to play the perfect leader and oldest hyung's role but it was obvious in their heart that he could never replace Junghyuk. Minwoo tried to keep the family together but the emptiness was too much for them to handle. He was glad that Dongwan had been by his side supporting him mentally. He was tired but he fully understood how important it was for him to stay strong for his dongsaengs and Appa.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

Hyundo wandered through the streets aimlessly as his thoughts were flooded by memories of the past.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

It was raining heavily. A 30 year old Hyundo was busy dumping the rubbish behind the restaurant when he saw a small bundle laying right beside the dustbin. He scooped up the bundle and was surprised to see a baby boy wrapped in it. The baby was not moving and Hyundo feared for the worst. But the baby was still alive and was shivering in the cold. It was a miracle that a baby could've survived with just a layer of cloth in a raining winter night. Hyundo took the baby in.

The next day, Hyundo took the baby to the clinic and then to the orphanage. The orphanage agreed to accept the baby and he passed the baby over to the orphanage director. As soon as the baby was in the lady's arm, he wailed and cried. Hyundo had to hold him to stop his cries. They tried again and again but the baby cried every single time he left Hyundo's arms.

"Looks like he likes you a lot." Said the director.

Hyundo smiles at the comment while looking at the baby. His big brown eyes was looking at Hyundo while smiling and wriggling. Hyundo felt that he wanted to have the baby.

"Can I adopt him?"

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

When Junghyuk was 4, Hyundo adopted Minwoo, Hyesung and Junjin to keep Junghyuk from getting too lonely and provide the boys with a family. Junjin took the shortest time to warm up while Hyesung took the longest. A year later, came Dongwan and Andy. They were both nervous and timid but soon, Dongwan's playful and cheeky attitude surfaced.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

"Appa! Two bowls of jajangmyun for table 4!" Called a 6 years old Junghyuk.

Even though he was only 6, he insisted on helping his appa after school. Hyundo rejected his help but the kid was just too persistent. Minwoo stayed at home to help look after his dongsaengs while Junghyuk was helping out in the restaurant.

He's surprisingly strong for a kid with such a small frame, serving 3 bowls of jajangmyun at a time. His big brown eyes made him the little eye candy in the restaurant, earning a lot of attention from the customers.

"Excuse me, sir. Here's you jajangmyun. Please enjoy your meal!" Said Junghyuk while placing the noodles on the table steadily.

"How old are you?"

"I'm six this year."

"Wow, don't you need to go to school?"

"I do, in the morning. My appa had back pains and Mr. Heejun, the waiter had some family business to attend to. I'm the eldest in the family, so I need to help." Said a smiling Junghyuk.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

4 years later, the 4 older boys started to help in the restaurant, leaving Junjin to teach and look after the maknae. Minwoo was in charge of the payment counter while the rest are the waiters.

"Hyuk! Can you come in the kitchen while I go and deliver these orders?" Called Hyundo from the kitchen.

"Appa, let me go." Junghyuk peeked from under the kitchen counter.

"You sure? Can you find the place?"

"I'm 10, and I have my bike. It's around the neighbourhood anyway."

"Ok. But bring Someone with you."

"I wanna go!" Yelled the other 3 in unison while raising their hands.

"Let's settle it with rock-scissors-paper." Suggested Minwoo.

In the end, it was Hyesung who won and got to go with Junghyuk. The other two can only sulk in the restaurant.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

Hyesung was cutting the Kimchi while his thoughts wandered off to the past where they made their first delivery by the age of 10.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

"Are you sure it's here? Isn't it the building next door?" Asked hyesung while looking down the apartment corridor.

"Trust me Hyesungie~"

"Whatever. If you're wrong, you need to buy me ice cream."

~ding dong~

"Anyeonghasaeyo! Here's your jajangmyun." They greeted.

"Oh, just leave it here. How much were they?" Said a young lady I'm her 30s.

"It's 10000 won madam." Said Hyesung while handing the receipt to the lady.

"Here you go, kids. By the way, thanks for the delivery."

"Neh, you're welcome." The boys bowed before leaving.

While walking over to the bicycle, Junghyuk noticed Hyesung's slowing down his footsteps.

"Hyesungie~ gwenchana?"

Hyesung shook his head while failing to cover his disappointed face.

On their way home, Junghyuk stopped by a convenience store.

"Why are we here?" Asked a confused Hyesung.

"To get ice cream."

"But you were right."

"I was. But I want to buy you ice cream." Said Junghyuk cheerfully.

"Thanks! Hyukkie, you're the best!" Hyesung practically wrapped himself onto Junghyuk like a koala.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

Minwoo sat by the counter and chuckled at the memory that flowed through his mind.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

The 2 12-year-olds were sitting by the bench in the middle of a park. The younger boys were playing hide and seek while Hyundo was buying them ice cream.

"3 multiply by 6?"

"18."

"7 multiply by 2?"

"14."

"4 multiply by 5?"

".....1.... What was it?"

"Hahahahaha. Minwoo pabo." Junghyuk teased Minwoo who's face was almost like a red tomato.

"Boys! Ice cream!"

"Yay! I want the chocolate one!" Junjin snatched the chocolate ice cream.

"Strawberry!" Said Hyesung while handing Junghyuk the grape flavoured ice cream.

"There's no orange?" Asked Andy timidly.

"Here you go." Hyundo handed the Orange ice cream to the maknae.

Minwoo and Dongwan both took the green tea ice creams before sitting down in a circle with their brothers.

"Wanna play 3,6,9?"

"Call!" Agreed Hyesung.

Minwoo: "1!"
Dongwan: "2!"
Junghyuk: "3!"

"Hahaha Junghyuk ah." Teased Dongwan.

Junghyuk: "1!"
Hyesung:" 2!"
Junjin: ~claps~
Andy:"4!"
Minwoo:"5!"
Dongwan: ~claps~
Junghyuk: ~claps~

"Hahahaha Junghyuk pabo! You're as stupid as I am!" Laughed Minwoo hysterically.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

Andy was cooking the noodles while a memory popped into his mind.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

"Andy ya~ how's your exam?"

"Fine."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"I....." Andy started but stopped.

"I won't tell anyone." Junghyuk was mixing the jajangmyun sauce.

"I failed my history paper."

"Just work harder next time. It's just a paper, don't treat it like its the end of the world." Junghyuk patted Andy's shoulder.

"I know it's not the end of the world. It's just that I can't remember anything I read. I think I'm stupid."

"You're not stupid. You're at least SMARTER THAN MINWOO."

"Hey I heard that!" Yelled Minwoo from the counter.

"What? What did you hear? Tell me palli palli!" Pleaded Dongwan.

Junghyuk chuckled before continuing. "Why don't you come to my room later after dinner. I'll teach you."

"Wow! Thanks hyung!" Andy was so enlightened that he accidentally touched the hot kitchen stove.

"Ouch!"

"Andy ya! Gwenchana?! Quick, run the tap! I'll go get the first-aid-kit."

Junghyuk applied some ointment on the burn and wrapped it up with some gauze.

Andy watched the elder addressing and blowing his wounds like a mother to her child. After finishing his work, Junghyuk pulled Andy In for a tight hug.

"Be careful. I hate it when you're hurt."

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

Junjin was riding the delivery motorcycle when he suddenly remembered Junghyuk's voice.

"Jinnie! Together, no one can beat us! I love you sooooo much!! Muackkkkssss!"

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

"Jinnie, let's prank Minwoo."

"Sure. How?"

Junghyuk pulled him closer and whispered into his ears.

A few hours later, a fiery Minwoo rushed out from the bathroom.

"Yah!!! Mun Junghyuk, Park Junjin! Where are you rascals! I'm so going to kill you!"

Dongwan, Hyesung and Andy turned towards the voice and was laughing like crazy because of Minwoo's hot pink hair.

"Yes! That was Epic!" Junghyuk hi-5 Junjin.

"Yah!!!!! Mun Junghyuk! Park Junjin!! Where's my bag?!!!!" Yelled Dongwan.

"OMG!! Where's my keyboard?!"yelled Hyesung.

"Hyung!!! Why is there a heavy stench in my cupboard? Did you guys fart in it?!" Yelled Andy.

The two pranksters laughed while running for their lives.

"Jinnie! Together, no one can beat us! I love you sooooo much!! Muackkkkssss!" In the mist of escaping, Junghyuk managed to plant a kiss on Junjin's cheek.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

Dongwan sat on the bench in front of the restaurant. He stared at the sky, wondering why all these happened. Why God would take their brother away from them.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

"I failed miserably again."

"Don't think about it. Try again tomorrow."

"I don't think I can do it. It's been 3 months. 3 freaking months! And I can't get a job. What's the use of a university certificate?" Dongwan released his frustrations while grabbing his own hair.

"Wannie yah~ why don't I accompany you to the company tomorrow?"

"Are you serious? Oh I love you so much!!"

The next morning, Junghyuk and Dongwan were standing in the lobby of the company.

"Ah I'm so nervous."

"Don't be. Trust me, just go in and say whatever is in your mind. They'll regret for not employing my awesome brother." Junghyuk said while tidying Dongwan's suit.

The lift arrived and Dongwan stepped into it.

"Hwaiting! You can do it Wannie!"

Junghyuk waited patiently in his car. Then he saw a beaming Dongwan running towards him.

"I did it! I did it! They accepted me! I'm going to start working next week!" Dongwan hugged Junghyuk who laughed, sharing his brother's happiness.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

Dongwan was jerked back into reality when he saw a familiar figure walking pass him and into the restaurant.

He quickly got up and went into the restaurant.

"Good afternoon, what would you like to have?" Dongwan said while observing the guy.

'The big brown eyes, the cheekbone, the dark black hair, the nose.........it can't be'

"A bowl of jajangmyun please."

"Ok."

Dongwan went to place the order and he grabbed Hyesung who's cutting the Kimchi.

"Ah buoya?"

"Shh! Look!" Dongwan pointed at the guy earlier.

Hyesung saw that Andy and Minwoo too froze in place staring at the guy. Emotions flowed into his heart like a strong wave. Everyone in the restaurant besides the customer wore the same shocked expression.

Suddenly, the restaurant door opened, Hyundo and Junjin stepped in. They too froze on the door step.

"It...... It can't be....... Junghyuk...... You came back......" Whispered Hyundo.

 

 

 

 

I got too excited for this story and here I am posting Chapter 2 lol. How was it, I gotta say, so far its Junghyuk-centred fic but I will try to put the other member's POV while the story grows. Please do comment if you feel like it. Thanks for reading my fic! SHINHWA CHANGJO <3