Chapter 10: Who am I?

Who Are You?

(JUNGHYUK/ERIC’S POV)

 

‘Ah, damn, it’s that pain again!’

I walked down the lonely street aimlessly until I saw a familiar figure walking weakly in front of me. He’s crying. I’m not sure why, but it pains me so much to see him like that. I followed him, wanting to make sure he got home safely.

‘What’s he doing? Is he crazy?’

From the corner of my eyes, I saw a black car speeding towards Hyesung, who’s crossing the road very carelessly. For that one moment, memories flooded my mind. I was stunned. The man who’s about to get hit was my brother. No, he’s more than that. I need to save him. Without any further thoughts, I dived in and pushed him out of the way.

‘I’m sorry for forgetting.’

 

-PAGE BREAK-

(JUNGHYUK/ERIC’S POV)- A YEAR AGO

 

Hurts. It was all I feel throughout my body. I forced open my extremely heavy eyelids. The room wasn’t brightly lid but it was still too irritating for my eyes. I rubbed my eyes and tried to sit up but failed miserably.

I forced open my eyes. An old and slightly battered room welcomed me. I glanced outside the window, the sun was hung right above my head. Something’s wrong. Something’s missing. I can feel it. It was too quiet to be true. I tried to get out of the bed, but I fell onto the floor. That was the moment I saw my leg, my left leg which was missing from the knee and below. I was so shocked to do anything.

Suddenly I felt a person grabbing my hand and helping me up. I looked at him, an old guy in his 50s. He was saying something with a frantic look. But I couldn’t hear clearly. I was too stunned to respond.

The old guy helped me onto the bed and poured me a glass of water. He gave up talking to me and wrote something on a piece of paper.

*Can you understand me?*

I nodded.

*Are you feeling nausea or anything*

I shook my head.

*What’s your name?*

That was a good question. I tried to think of an answer but my mind was blank. I couldn’t recall my name. Who am I? So I shook my head.

“What happened to my leg?” I asked but I couldn’t really hear myself.

*Sorry, we have to remove it. It’s severely infected and was putting your life in risk.*

I tried to process everything I’ve learned so far while working my palm on the part where my leg once belonged.

“Why can’t I hear anything clearly?”

*You might have injured your ear drums. I’m not sure. We’ll have to ask the doctor for a check up.*

 

-PAGE BREAK-

(JUNGHYUK/ERIC’S POV)

 

Two days after I woke up, I’ve slowly gotten used to my partly deaf life without a leg. The doctor said that I busted my left eardrum. How did that happen? I didn’t know.

Now I can hear better having worn a hearing aid. I walked out to the garden on crutches where the old man and his wife were having tea time while watching their granddaughter playing with bubbles.

“Hi.”

“Oh, hi there. How are you feeling today?” asked his wife.

“I’m fine thank you. Can I know what happened to me?”

“Have a seat.”

I sat down beside them, looking at them intently.

“We found you in the woods when we’re picking up some fire woods. You’re in a military suit and were lying on the river bank. You were in a very bad shape and we brought you back home.”

“Military. I was a soldier.” I whispered.

“Ahjussi. May I know your name?” The little girl was standing by my side, smiling sweetly.

“I…… I don’t have a name.”

“Then, can I give you a name?” She shot me her puppy eyes.

“Sure.”

“Eric?”

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

I sat up from my bed. That was a weird dream, I thought. Until I glanced down at my leg and realised that it wasn’t there. I checked my surroundings and saw Hyesungie sleeping beautifully in the couch. I smiled. As I was about to get down, I felt a soft object brushed against my thigh and fell onto the floor. It was my Hello Kitty doll! I picked it up.

“Mianhae, Kitty. I didn’t saw you. Did it hurt? I’ll give you a kiss.” I kissed its forehead and held it tightly to my side, not wanting it to fall again.

So, it wasn’t a dream. I rubbed the back of my neck. I can’t stay, can I? I’ll be a burden to my family. I’m a wreck right now. I’m useless. It’s better for everyone if I’m gone.

Without a second thought, I reached for the crutches beside my bed and got on my foot. I walked over to the door before turning back and glanced at Hyesungie. Take care while I’m gone.

 

 

 

 

 

Notes: And.........I'm back!! Woohooo!! I've been pretty busy with Chemistry and Biology papers that I didn't have time to update the story. Mianhae. Is Eric leaving again? Can Hyesung endure more pain? Please stay tuned! Hope you like it! SHINHWA CHANGJO <3