Chapter 8

Firefly

Tiffany and Jessica were out on a date. They had the best time of their lives. Tiffany was greatly entertained by Jessica’s silly moments.

“I forbid you to laugh.”

“I didn’t laugh.”

“You did!”

“No!”

“You giggled!”

“That’s giggling. Laughing is a different form of expression.”

“IT’S THE SAME!”

“NO IT DOESNT!”

“ARE YOU GOING TO FIGHT WITH ME NOW?!”

“WHY ARE YOU SO CUTE, BABY?!”

Jessica burst into laughter and then hugged Tiffany tightly. Their noses touched and Jessica wriggled her nose to irritate Tiffany.

“Stop wriggling. You’re not a worm.”

“Your nose is so round and adorable.”

“Shut up. I know you have a beautifully shaped nose.”

Jessica beamed and Tiffany gave her a weird look. The couple was just too happy lately; they spent time together.

“I wish we can be like this forever.”

“I pray that we will just stay like this together; forever and ever.”

Tiffany’s heart was fuzzy. Jessica’s gentle embrace kept Tiffany warm. They sat facing the sea; with Jessica hugging her from Tiffany’s back. Jessica kept her chin on Tiffany’s shoulder and gave soft pecks along Tiffany’s neck.

They were so much in love; they finally thought they have found the love of their lives. Both had no intention to give up on each other.

“I love you, Tiffany.”

“I love you too, Jessica.”

It was so sweet yet sad if they found out the truth.

-

Hyori was stunned when Jong Kook told her the truth about his slain family. She knew her father was an evil man but she couldn’t believe he was more than just evil; he’s vicious and a monster.

“I didn’t run away from you. I was afraid but after a long thought, I decided to be responsible. I looked for you everywhere but I couldn’t find you.”

“It was too late, Oppa. I was hiding from my father. He would kill my daughters if he found out that I gave birth to them.”

“I should have guessed so. But you were lucky. He didn’t kill them.”

“What do you mean?”

“Your father killed my family. My house was razed to the ground and your father killed my father, mother and my sister!”

“What?”

“Then he sent me away to some place where no man could ever survive.”

“Where did he do?”

“He sent me to prison for some reason. I was there for almost 10 years, Hyori.”

“Why were you imprisoned?”

“I tried to kill him and the police caught me. Your father conveniently put me away in jail without any trial.”

“He has connections.”

“Now I’m out. I’m going to take my revenge on him.”

“So you kidnapped me?”

“I had to. You’re his precious daughter.”

-

“Let’s go.”

“Where are we going?”

“I’m going to take you home.”

“Oppa, I’m supposed to leave the country.”

“Why are you running away from your father? Don’t you think it’s time for you to stand against him?”

“I don’t even know where our daughters are, Oppa. If I stand against him, I might not find out anything about our children.”

“I’ll look for them. Trust me; I’ll track our daughters down. And we can live together as a happy family.”

Hyori looked on while Jong Kook took her hand and caressed gently.

“I know I’ve let you down. I’ll make it up to you but for now, I need to settle some unfinished business.”

“You’re going to kill my father?”

“Are you going to stop me?”

Hyori was confused. She had always hated her father for many reasons but they had somehow calmed down over the years. But when she thought of her lost daughters, Hyori just couldn’t forgive her father too easily.

“You promise you’ll find our daughters?”

“I promise. I’m as curious as you are too. I want to meet them.”

“We have a lot of explanation to do if we ever find them, Oppa.”

“We’ll see then. Now, let’s deal with your father first.”

Hyori agreed.

-

Meanwhile Chun Hee was still searching high and low for Hyori. He lost track of her when the device couldn’t detect her presence. He found her phone at an old run down factory but there was nobody around. Hyori had disappeared yet again.

He was worried but Chun Hee tried not to be a muddled-head. Maybe Hyori left her phone and didn’t realize she has lost it. He drove back to Hyori’s place and then he saw a car waiting outside. Chun Hee frowned.

He walked past the car and noticed there was nobody. Maybe Hyori has returned home so he quickly went into her house. Hyori was moving from room to room.

“Hyori?”

She looked up and rolled her eyes when she saw Chun Hee. She was still mad at him for lying to him about her daughters.

“Hyori, where are you going?”

“I’m leaving.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“I’m not going to tell you. You lied to me about my daughters!”

“Hyori, we had to lie to you. We had to; just to keep you alive.”

Hyori was appalled at Chun Hee’s excuses. She pushed him away when he tried to stop her.

“I’m not going to believe in you anymore. You’re in cahoots with my father!”

“Your father is a good man. He’s trying to keep you safe!”

“Bull! He has harmed so many people and including me!”

“He’s protecting you, Hyori ah.”

“He should have protected my mother.”

Hyori’s mother died in her father’s enemy’s hands.

“You know that was an unfortunate incident. He didn’t mean it to happen.”

“Stop speaking up for my father. I hate him!”

“Hyori ah~”

“Leave, Chun Hee. I’m not going to listen to you anymore.”

“Okay, at least tell me where you’re going.”

“You don’t have to know.”

“Your father’s worried, Hyori ah.”

“He doesn’t need to poke his nose into my affairs anymore. I’m not going to tell you anything because I know he sent you here.”

“You’re wrong. I’m here because I need to tell you something.”

Chun Hee was about to tell Hyori the truth about her daughters when someone struck him in the head with a baseball bat. Hyori was horrified when she saw Jong Kook was the culprit.

“What are you doing?!”

“He’s your father’s lackey. Are you going to fall for his words again?”

“But you don’t have to hit him!”

“He won’t die.  He has just passed out. Now, let’s go before he wakes up.”

Hyori was worried about Chun Hee. But she couldn’t help him because she knew her father had sent Chun Hee to her.

“I’m sorry, Chun Hee. You’ll be fine, I know you will. I’m sorry.”

Hyori left Chun Hee behind.

-

Yonghwa was home when he saw his mother sitting in the garden with a glass of wine in her hand. His mother hardly drinks so when she does; she’s troubled over something.

But Yonghwa’s relationship with his parents wasn’t really close unlike Yunho and Jessica. He had a fall out with them because of the intruder, Jessica Jung. He walked past her and pretended like he didn’t see her. But his mother stopped him.

“Yonghwa, you’re home?”

Yonghwa rolled his eyes and sighed. He didn’t want to have a small conversation with her but he was compelled to do so.

“Hm.”

He nodded.

“You’re early today. Jessica’s not even home yet.”

He rolled his eyes again.

“Why are you asking me about her? You know I hate her.”

“Yonghwa, it has been so long. It has been twenty years. Are you still bearing a grudge towards your sister?”

“She’s not even related to me.”

His mother shook her head. She knew she didn’t handle Yonghwa’s situation that well with Jessica. She gestured him to sit with her; the boy grudgingly took a seat beside her.

“She’s your sister. Mommy took her home because I have always wanted a daughter.”

“So you hate me when I came out instead?”

“No, I’ve never hate you. You’re my son. You’re my flesh and blood.”

“Then why do you need to adopt a daughter?”

His mother took a sip of the wine and gently put it down. Yonghwa was looking away but he was surprised when his mother took his hand and caressed gently.

“I want a daughter. But I never went around looking for a baby girl. It just happened that your father’s saviour came to him with a newborn baby girl; and that was when we took Jessica in.”

“Father’s saviour?”

“You were still young back then. Your father’s business was about to collapse back then. We struggled to keep ends meet. Your father went through a difficult period when his saviour came to his rescue.”

Yonghwa was frowning away.

“You mean, father’s business wasn’t doing well?”

“Yes, he was about to declare bankrupt. We almost lost this comfort but his saviour saved his business. He pumped in funds into your father’s company and helped him to tide over the crucial period. Your father was grateful to him and he wanted to pay him back. But his savior refused however he offered us Jessica.”

Yonghwa started to understand. He suddenly recalled the old man.

“Wait, the old man who came here just few days ago; is he related to Jessica?”

His mother took the glass wine and drank it in one gulp. His mother was upset for some reason but Yonghwa couldn’t put a finger to it. But she was helpful enough to explain.

“That old man is Jessica’s grandfather. He was the one who saved your father’s business. He put your father through school when your grandfather died. Your father was just a young boy. He struggled to live on the streets but the old man took him in. He gave him an education and a place to live in.”

“But why did he give Jessica to us? He couldn’t raise her? He’s rich, right?”

“He’s not your average man. He’s a mafia leader.”

Yonghwa’s eyes grew larger.

“But he’s a kind man. He doesn’t want to raise Jessica in such conditions. He wants Jessica to grow up as a happy girl; a good family and nothing dangerous should happen to her.”

Yonghwa was bewildered to learn the truth.

“So you raised Jessica up because of gratitude?”

“Partly because of that; but Jessica’s a good girl. She has never given us any problems.”

“She’s smart, Mom.”

“Well, my son is smart too.”

“I have nothing under my name, Mom. I didn’t even finish school.”

“Jung Yonghwa, you’re still my son no matter what people say.”

Yonghwa finally understood why his parents were protective of Jessica. The poor girl had a complicated background.

“So now you know the truth. Can you stop fighting with your sister?”

“I don’t fight with her.”

“You did, just few days ago.”

“Hyung told you?”

“Yonghwa, it’s because of Jessica that you could live comfortably right now. If she’s not with us, we might be living by the streets now.”

“I understand.”

“I don’t need you to embrace her but at least you have to take care of her if we’re no longer around.”

“Mom, you know I’m not good with words.”

“Yes, but you must not tell anyone about this truth. I don’t want to lose Jessica now.”

Yonghwa nodded.

“You have to protect Jessica now since you know.”

“Do I have to?”

“Yes, because our family is forever grateful towards her grandfather.”

Yonghwa was bewildered.

-

Yoona was riding her bicycle like a mad woman because she was late; when she almost knocked into someone. Her tyres screeched and Yoona jumped onto the side. The person fell nevertheless.

“Oh my god, are you alright?!”

Yoona was worried as she quickly rushed to the person’s aid. She was even anxious when she realized the person was none other than Tiffany.

“Tiffany!”

“What were you doing? This is the pedestrian crossing!”

“I’m sorry; I was in a hurry. Are you injured?”

Yoona took a quick inspection and was relieved when there were no visible injuries on Tiffany.

“I’m fine. I was just surprised.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You just have to be careful the next time around. You could have hurt someone.”

“I know.”

Yoona helped Tiffany up and took one last look. She was satisfied that Tiffany was fine.

“So where were you heading to?”

“I was rushing to the bakery. I’m running late.”

“Are you always late?”

“Good question. I’m forever late.”

Yoona stuck her tongue out. Tiffany giggled softly.

“Do you always fight with Taeyeon-shi because of this?”

“She’s an early bird. She had to anyway since she’s the baker.”

“So you’re heading to your stall now?”

“Yup, do you want to come along?”

“Yeah, I’m on the way there actually. I’m planning to buy a surprise breakfast for Jessica.”

“Ah, your girlfriend.”

“Yes, and why do you sound so upset?”

“No, I’m not. Hey, look! The puppy looks lost!”

Yoona tried to divert her attention. Well, it was a good diversion because Tiffany seemed to like dogs.

“Oh you poor puppy, are you lost?”

“Is it really lost?”

“How would I know? Have you seen it before?”

“No? I ride like a crazy woman.”

“Ah, that’s right.”

Yoona rolled her eyes but nevertheless gazed at the puppy. It was shivering and Yoona noticed some dried blood on its paws.

“Wait, I think it’s injured.”

“Huh?”

Yoona took the puppy from Tiffany and then some blood was trickling down Yoona’s hand. The puppy was indeed injured.

“Oh my god!”

“Let’s bring it to the nearest vet! I’ll ride!”

“Okay, but you have to promise not to ride like a mad woman!”

“Oh come on, I’m a careful rider.”

-

“I think it cut itself. This is nothing serious.”

Tiffany was relieved when the vet assured her that the injury was superficial. But the puppy was bandaged and careful measures were taken so that it wouldn’t bite its paw unnecessarily. The puppy looked uncomfortable.

“So are we going to leave it here?”

“No, I’m taking it home.”

“Seriously, are you sure? But you have classes later.”

Tiffany frowned. Yoona was right. She was worried sick for the puppy. Yoona found her adorable.

“Well, if you don’t mind, I can look after it while you go for classes.”

Tiffany’s face lighted up immediately.

“Are you sure?!”

“Yes, I can have a temporary home at my bakery today. Once you’re done with classes, you can come over.”

“Oh, that’s great! Oh, Yoona! You’re such a darling!”

Tiffany suddenly hugged Yoona tightly; leaving Yoona paralyzed to the ground.

-

Taeyeon was mumbling to herself. Im Yoona was late, as usual. She rolled her eyes when she saw the time.

“This stupid woman. She’s gonna get it from me later!”

Just then, the bell rang and Taeyeon ran out with her spatula.

“It’s about time!”

But it wasn’t Yoona. It was Jessica. And the latter was stunned with Taeyeon’s sudden outburst. Taeyeon was embarrassed.

“Is it too early? You’re not open yet?”

“No, it’s not that. Aish, just come in.”

“You looked pissed.”

“Well, I am but not at you. Yoona, the dumb woman, is late again.”

“Oh.”

“I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to wave the spatula at you. Come on in.”

Jessica was amused and she was smirking away when Taeyeon hid the spatula behind her back. But Jessica was a little early today.

“You’re seriously early today.”

“I wanted to get your fresh pastries.”

“I can keep them for you.”

“Nah, I think it’s only fair if I come early and buy them myself.”

Taeyeon smiled before putting the spatula away. She poured Jessica a cup of tea.

“Here, have this. I’ll look at the pastries to see if they’re ready.”

“Oh, can I come along?”

“Huh?”

“I want to see your kitchen.”

“Oh, sure but it’s a little warm inside.”

“I’ll be fine.”

-

“Is this how you roll this?”

Jessica was holding onto the rolling pin and gently flattened the dough in front of her. She has decided to give it a try. Taeyeon was helping her.

“Yes, and now you have to add the potatoes in.”

“How much should I put in?”

“How much do you intend to eat?”

“Huh? So this is mine?”

“Yeah, you can have this for free since you’re baking it yourself.”

“Awesome!”

Jessica was excited and eagerly waited for Taeyeon’s guidance. Taeyeon was smiling all the time. Jessica was just like a child who was excited about something new.

“So how do I fold this?”

Taeyeon frowned and then winked.

“Which animal do you like?”

“Heh?”

“I mean, do you have a favourite animal?”

“I like Tigers.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, they’re cute!”

Taeyeon stared at her.

“What?”

“Tigers are cute?”

“Yes!”

“Did you see how they tried to kill their prey for food?”

“They were born like that. They were born as predators. They kill for food.”

Taeyeon cringed at the thought of a tiger in her bakery. Jessica was amused. She enjoyed her morning with Taeyeon so far. Nevertheless, Taeyeon made the pastry into a tiger-shaped curry potatoes puff.

“Wow, this is so cute!”

“This is a friendly tiger. I made it smiling.”

“Taeyeon, this is really cool. I wish I could bake like you.”

“Baking is easy. I can teach you.”

Jessica’s face lighted up.

“You will teach me?!”

“Yes, if you want me to.”

“I’d love to!”

“Okay, let’s start next week onwards. I can open this bakery so that you can learn. Are you going to bring Tiffany along?”

“No, I want you to teach me alone. I need to surprise her one day.”

“Of course you will.”

Taeyeon felt jealous when Jessica was smiling to herself. She must have been thinking of Tiffany and the surprise she would throw at her with her newfound skills. But Taeyeon decided to push her jealousy aside.

“Taeyeon, you’re a great person. I like you.”

Jessica was sincere.

“I like you too, Jessica.”

But Taeyeon wished for something more.

-