Chapter 12

Firefly

Mr Hwang seemed tensed and nervous after he spotted Jessica’s necklace. He recognized that necklace as Tiffany had one when he found her at his door step. Old Man Lee has mentioned about it briefly. He was a little taken aback when Tiffany was intimately hugging Jessica and he knew his little girl was in love.

But he was afraid that the love is not meant to be if Jessica turns out to be Tiffany’s fraternal twin sister. He had to find out before ugly things become unfold.  Mrs Hwang noticed her husband’s black face and the aura he was bringing home from Tiffany’s school. And Tiffany was a little quiet; she was suspecting that her father might not like the idea of Jessica being her girlfriend.

The family was threading on the thin line; Mr Hwang needed to know the truth behind Jessica’s necklace and Tiffany had to convince her parents that she loves Jessica sincerely. Mrs Hwang was staring back and forth when the father and daughter were extremely silent over the dinner table.

“What’s wrong, hubby?”

She finally broke the silence. Tiffany winced when she looked up to find her father staring at her.  Mrs Hwang noticed too.

“Tiffany, what happened in school? Why is your father glaring at you?”

Tiffany bit her lower lip. She wanted to tell them the truth but she didn’t expect it to happen this way.

“Daddy saw me with my girlfriend.”

She spoke softly and Mrs Hwang was taken aback. Her father rolled his eyes.

“Tiffany, are you..?”

Mrs Hwang couldn’t ask the question and she was shocked when Tiffany nodded her head.

“I love her, Mommy. She takes good care of me.”

“But she’s a girl.”

Mr Hwang finally spoke up.

“But Daddy, she’s really honest and sincere towards me. I have always liked girls since young.”

“Oh my god, Tiffany Hwang!”

Mrs Hwang was appalled but Mr Hwang was more interested to know about Jessica Jung.

“I want her contact number.”

“What?”

“I need to talk to her.”

“Daddy, if you’re angry, you can vent it on me. Please don’t do it on Jessica.”

“You don’t have the right to negotiate with me. If you don’t want to give me, I can just go to your school and look for her.”

“Daddy!”

“Just give it to me, Tiffany Hwang!”

Tiffany was terrified and tears fell immediately. It was the first time. Mr Hwang raised his voice at his daughter. He had never done that before.

“Hubby, you’re scaring her.”

Mrs Hwang could see how Tiffany flinched when her father shouted at her. But Mr Hwang didn’t care. He stood up and grabbed Tiffany’s bag. He took the phone out and Tiffany was rushing up to him.

“Daddy, please...”

“This is for your own good. I don’t like her. You cannot be with her.”

Mr Hwang pulled his arm away from his daughter and walked out of the door; leaving Tiffany in tears.

-

Jessica was alone. Yonghwa left abruptly earlier on. He lied to Jessica that he had something on. He had forgotten about it and asked Jessica to go home on her own. So the girl took the bus and was walking towards her house. She has been trying to call Tiffany but she couldn’t get through. At one point, the phone rang but was immediately cancelled; leaving Jessica in frustration.

She was worried for Tiffany. Her father didn’t look happy earlier on. A second later, the phone rang and it was Tiffany’s number. Jessica was relieved and immediately answered but soon realized it was someone else instead.

“Jessica Jung?”

Jessica recognized the voice – it was Tiffany’s father.

“Yes Uncle, this is Jessica.”

“Can I meet up with you?”

“I’m on my way home.”

“I know. I can see you from here.”

Jessica quickly scanned around her neighbourhood and saw Mr Hwang standing just outside her gates. He wasn’t alone. He was with someone. Jessica recognized that person immediately. It was the same person who came to visit them before – the old man who made her mother cried the last time.

Nevertheless, Jessica walked up to them and Mr Hwang was staring at her. She bowed slightly and greeted him. She was surprised when the man returned her greetings as well. She thought he might ignore her.

“Get in. We need to talk.”

Jessica nodded and entered the car obediently. The old man was sitting up front and Mr Hwang was the one driving the car.  Jessica was a little terrified but she kept her cool. The old man kept glancing backwards and met her eyes. And each time he did, he smiled at her.

It took her thirty minutes before she realized she was at the beach. Mr Hwang parked her car and got out immediately. The old man followed suit and Jessica had no choice but to follow them.

“Sit down, my child.”

Mr Hwang spoke softly. Jessica sat across Mr Hwang while the old man sat next to her. The two men were exchanging glances back and forth. Jessica was confused.

“Is this about Tiffany?”

She finally had the courage to speak up.

“Yes, it is and it’s about you too.”

Jessica swallowed hard. Mr Hwang probably didn’t like the idea of them together. But she was surprised when it was the old man who took the approach instead.

“You’re Jessica Jung?”

The old man asked.

“Yes, I am.”

“You have grown up so much.”

“Excuse me?”

“I didn’t watch you growing up but I was often updated by your parents about you.”

“What would my parents do that?”

Jessica was confused but she had this strongest inkling feeling that he might be related to her somehow.

“Jessica, I have a story to tell you. Do you mind if you could hear me out?”

“Is this about my real family?”

The old man was taken aback and Mr Hwang’s eyes were downcast. Jessica stared at them; back and forth – she was trying to piece the jigsaw together.

“How did you know?”

“I know.”

“Your parents told you?”

“No, I figured it out.”

“You’re really a smart girl.”

Jessica felt annoyed that the old man knew about her too much. She felt like he didn’t have the right to know anything about her. She suddenly recalled Yonghwa’s conversation with their mother.

“You separated me from my mother, right?”

Jessica’s voice was quivering.  And the old man nonchalantly nodded his head. Tears found Jessica’s eyes immediately.

“”You’re my grandfather.”

“I won’t deny it.”

“No, this cannot be true!”

Jessica then turned to Mr Hwang. She pointed her finger at him.

“Please don’t tell me you’re my father!”

“No, he isn’t your father.”

The old man was soft and gentle.

“Then why is he here? How did he know you?”

Mr Hwang sighed before looking up. He didn’t mean to hurt Jessica but he knew the truth had to be revealed before things get ugly.

“I’m here because we’re related in some ways. Of course, we’re not related by blood but under some circumstances, we are now.”

Jessica was confused. Mr Hwang’s words didn’t make any sense. The old man then turned to look at Mr Hwang and shook his head.

“I’ll take it from here, Young.”

“Yes, Mr Lee.”

He turned to the poor girl as her confusion was apparent on her face. She was tearing up and Old Man Lee knew his granddaughter was holding the tears back.

“You were born under a chain of unfortunate events. Your mother was forced to give you away because she didn’t want me to find out about you.”

The old man was unnervingly calm but Jessica just stared at him.

“Your mother was only 17 when she had you. So she didn’t know what she should do. Both of your parents were young and immature. And I was a well-known enemy by many people. I couldn’t afford to let them touch you. So I gave you away.”

Jessica took out the necklace and showed it to the old man.

“So you gave this to me?”

“Yes, I did.”

“If you didn’t want your enemies to find me, then why did you leave such things on me? You had the intention to keep track of me?”

“I needed to know so that I know what would be the next plan to take.”

“So I’m like a game plan to you?”

“No, you’re not.”

“You’re a liar!”

“Jessica, I’m not asking for any forgiveness or for you to return to me. I just needed you to know something else.”

“Like what? I have a sibling somewhere?”

Jessica was scoffing away but she didn’t anticipate the reply.

“Yes, you do.”

Jessica’s eyes grew larger. She turned to Mr Hwang who had guilt written on his eyes.

“Wait. I have a sibling?”

“You have a fraternal twin sister.”

Jessica knew where this was going.  The puzzle finally fitted together. She understood why Mr Hwang fitted in this picture.

“Ti – fa – ...Tiffany’s my sister?”

Mr Hwang looked away while the old man stared blankly at Jessica. They didn’t have to answer her. Jessica already knew.

“Tiffany’s my twin sister?”

Jessica almost died.

-

“Hey baby, look! We share the same birthday!”

Tiffany was ransacking Jessica’s bag and found her ID card. Jessica was surprised when Tiffany mentioned it.

“Really?”

“Look!”

Tiffany showed her ID card to Jessica and both girls were stunned to learn the truth.

“Wow! We’re so meant to be together!”

“This is awesome! We can celebrate our birthdays together!”

Tiffany beamed proudly as she interlaced her hands with Jessica’s. They were both in love and every day was perfect together.

-

Tiffany was late for their date. Jessica had waited for almost an hour for her. She was extremely agitated and for one thing Jessica hated to do was to wait for someone. She folded her arms and tapped her foot when she saw Tiffany running towards her from a distance.

Initially, she wanted to get mad at Tiffany for making her wait. But when she saw Tiffany’s anxious face, she knew Tiffany didn’t do this on purpose. She was probably genuine late that she had to run all the way.

And as soon as Tiffany reached her sight, the perspiration on Tiffany’s forehead and cheeks were evident that she rushed her way to meet Jessica. She was breathless. Jessica’s anger diffused immediately. She put her arms around Tiffany instead to calm her down.

“I’m sorry! I was late! My mom fell and my dad wasn’t around. So I brought her to the doctor but thankfully it was not serious.”

“Oh? Why didn’t you call me?”

“I was in a panic mode.”

“So is she alright now?”

“Yes, she is. My father’s at home with her now.”

“You could have called me if you cannot make it.”

“It’s okay. We haven’t met for a week now and I miss you so much!”

“You silly girl! We can always meet in school.”

“It’s not the same! And I’ve always wanted to watch this romantic movie with you.”

Tiffany pouted her lips which prompted Jessica to kiss her. Tiffany blushed immediately but eventually pulled Jessica for a hug.

“I love you, Jessica. I love you so much.”

“I love you too.”

-

Jessica had too much on her mind. She often fought with Yonghwa and sometimes it pissed her off. Tiffany felt sorry for her girlfriend. Knowing that she didn’t belong to the family somehow hurt so much and then having a brother who hates her presence was just pushing Jessica to the edge.

Tiffany knew Jessica was upset with her brother. She put her arms around Jessica and hugged her tightly. Jessica was taken aback.

“Wae?”

“I love you.”

“I know.”

“No, I love you. I love you more than anyone else in this world.”

Jessica’s heart skipped a beat.

“I’m going to hold and hug you like this each time something or someone hurt you. You don’t deserve to get hurt like this and I’m going to make it okay for you.”

Tears fell immediately and Jessica broke down eventually. Tiffany’s heart was aching but she was determined to wipe Jessica’s tears away. She held on to her girlfriend tightly.

“I’m going to be here for you. Nobody’s going to hurt you anymore. I forbid them.”

That was Tiffany’s promise to Jessica.

-

Yonghwa was exasperated when he realized his heart.

Damn it, why must it be Jessica?

He hit his head a couple of times and he cursed at himself too.

How could you have such thoughts on your sister?

He chided himself.  He couldn’t face Jessica earlier on so he took off and left his sister in school. He lied to her that he had something on but he left because he couldn’t accept the fact that he’s in love with her.

To make it worse, Jessica’s gay. She’s in love with another girl.  His heart churned so badly but he couldn’t bring himself to admit that he wanted Jessica now.

JUNG YONGHWA, SHE’S YOUR SISTER! GET RID OF THOSE THOUGHTS!

The poor guy slapped himself silly because he felt it was wrong to have feelings for Jessica but at the back of his mind, he knew he could fall in love and be with her because they are not related at all.

He was driving aimlessly around town. Tears were manifesting in his eyes; he blinked them away and one or two dropped down to his thighs. He didn’t want to feel the pain but he couldn’t help it.

Suddenly his phone rang. He glanced down to look at the ID caller. The reason for his heart ache was calling him. He contemplated whether he should answer. His mind forbade him but his heart answered anyway.

“Hello?”

He tried to sound nonchalant but all he could hear was soft muffles from the other side of the phone.

“Jessica? What happened? Where are you?”

Yonghwa was terrified to find himself worried and anxious about Jessica.

“Jessica, answer me. Where are you? Why are you crying?”

“Oppa...”

“What’s wrong? Where are you now?”

“I’m dying.”

“No, you’re not! Stop talking rubbish! Where are you? Tell me, quick!”

Yonghwa somehow managed to track Jessica on her GPS. She had turned her phone GPS and Yonghwa was able to locate her.

She’s at the beach?

He thought to himself. But his car had already made a sharp u-turn to the beach.

“Wait for oppa. I’m coming!”

He drove at an incredible high speed.

-

Hyori was facing Chun Hee. The man was slimmer now and Hyori wondered why she was concerned about it. She hates to admit it but she really cares for Chun Hee genuinely.

“What is it that you wanted to see me urgently?”

She was giving him that unfriendly glare.  But Chun Hee was undaunted. He smiled at her and then took her hand. Hyori pulled away but Chun Hee’s smile remained intact on his face.

“How are you?”

“Cut the bull, Chun Hee.”

“Is it wrong to ask?”

“No, it’s not wrong but I’m not here to chit-chat.”

“I didn’t have the intention either but I’m just worried about you.”

“You don’t have to worry about me. I’m fine.”

“Is he back?”

Hyori looked away. Somehow Hyori knew Chun Hee has been carrying the torch for her. But it was always uncomfortable for her. She felt Chun Hee deserves better.

“Yes he is.”

“Have you forgiven him?”

“I don’t know.”

“He left you, Hyori.”

“He left me because my father killed his family.”

Chun Hee nodded. He should have known Kim Jong Kook would say that to Hyori.

“And you believe him?”

“Where is this conversation going?”

“You rather believe someone else than your father?”

“My father is an evil man. He got you under his skin, didn’t he? What did he threaten you with now?”

“No, he did nothing. He’s not an evil man. You have misunderstood him.”

“Lee Chun Hee, if you’re here to talk about my father, I’m not interested.”

Hyori stood up and was about to leave when Chun Hee took out the files and stopped her.

“Your father is a man who understands his responsibilities and takes charge of them like how he supposed to. People can have that bad impression of him but you’re his daughter. Can’t you understand why he was doing all these things for you?”

Hyori refused to face Chun Hee but her arms were flexed and Chun Hee slowly let her go. He put the files on the table and urged Hyori to stay.

“Your father has been taking good care of your daughters all this while. He hides them away safely and has been assisting to raise your daughters with their adopted families.”

Hyori snapped to the front. Her eyes widen with curiosity. She stared at the files in front of her.

“What did you say?”

“Your father gave your daughters away to two men whom your father has absolute trust in. They took your daughters in and your father has been helping them with monetary needs. He didn’t kill them. He didn’t have the heart to do so.”

Hyori’s eyes were reddened.

“He knew he couldn’t take good care of them. His enemies would find him and they might harm your daughters. So he put them away safely so that nobody would know about their whereabouts except for those two families who raised them.”

Hyori’s heart was aching so badly.

“Hyori ah, your father loves you. Maybe he didn’t show it correctly but he has done all he could so that you could be safe from harm. He has planned to bring you to your daughters one day but unfortunately someone was planning revenge on your father.”

“What?”

“Kim Jong Kook is out of prison and he’s going to kill your father.”

“My father killed his family.”

“No, he didn’t. Your father was there at the wrong timing.  Jong Kook’s family was killed in a fire which was set upon by the loan sharks!”

“How could you believe his stories?”

“I didn’t believe it at first but I did some research.”

“Huh?”

-

Chun Hee went to the Police Bureau. He needed to find out the truth about Kim Jong Kook’s family. Were they killed by Old Man Lee or the loan sharks? He met up with Chief Inspector Shim Changmin who was the officer in charge back then.

“Sir, this is Lee Chun Hee. He needed to find out more information about an old case.”

“Oh?”

“You were the officer in charge back then.”

“Okay, sure. Let him in.”

Chun Hee learnt that the Chief Inspector was the man who took over the case. It was suspected to be arson case. They found evidence. He waited patiently when a man stepped in and identified himself.

“Inspector Shim?”

“Yes, you’re Mr Lee?”

“Yes, my name is Chun Hee. I need to clarify about something.”

“What is it about?”

Chun Hee showed Jong Kook’s photo and a file which contained information about Jong Kook’s family. Inspector Lee recognized the boy in the photo.

“Kim Jong Kook?”

“Uh, yes.”

“He has been released, right?”

“Yes, Sir.”

Inspector Shim was eyeing Chun Hee suspiciously. The only one who knew about Jong Kook’s case was himself and Old Man Lee.

“Old Man Lee asked me to look for you if I have anything. This is a letter from him.”

Inspector Shim took the letter and read quickly. He nodded as he folded the letter into two. He gave it back to Chun Hee and stood up. He walked over to the cupboard behind him and pulled out a thick paper file. It was initially pink but now it has faded with time.

“The information you need is in here. But you can only read it here and you cannot make photocopies of it. This is a classified case. I’m giving you the permission because of Old Man Lee.”

“Old Man Lee is a good friend of yours?”

Inspector Shim nodded. He pulled out a photo from the drawer and gave it to Chun Hee.

“You recognize this man?”

He was pointing to Old Man Lee. Chun Hee nodded.

“The man beside him is my father. They were good friends. Old Man Lee’s a good man but things just went awry and he fell into the bad hands of the Mafia gang. According to my mother, his father was the head of a gang back then. But Old Man Lee has always been good friends with my father. He was a Chief Inspector back then.”

Chun Hee was staring at the photo intently. Old Man Lee was smiling happily.

“One day, a rival gang set a trap on my father and killed him mercilessly. My mother was left with two young children to feed – my older sister and myself. We were so young back then and my mother was at loss. It was Old Man Lee who helped us. He even took revenge on my father’s killers and kept my family away from harm. He was the one who paid for my school and I got into the Police Academy. I was determined to follow my father.”

Chun Hee’s admiration for Old Man Lee grew further. He was right about Old Man Lee. He wasn’t a bad man.

“When he asked me to take over Kim Jong Kook’s case, I agreed immediately. He was worried for the boy. And about his family, it was confirmed that it was not Old Man Lee’s doing. We had evidence but Uncle Lee had always wanted to take things in his own hands.”

“He killed the loan sharks?”

Inspector Shim nodded.

“I could have arrest him but Old Man Lee was always a step ahead. That’s why I took the liberty to close the case. I couldn’t do this to him.”

“I understand.”

“So, please take good care of the information you will be reading.”

“I understand, Inspector Shim.”

-

Tiffany was anxiously waiting for her father to return. She went to look for Jessica earlier on; but she couldn’t find the latter anywhere. She wasn’t in school and she wasn’t home either. She felt restless when she couldn’t get to Jessica.

Just then, her father returned and Tiffany went straight to him.

“Did you talk to Jessica?”

Her father just stared at her blankly but nodded his head eventually.

“What did you say to her?!”

“I told her what I should. I don’t like you to see her.”

“But Daddy...”

“Enough, Tiffany!”

Her father’s voice boomed against the wall. Her mother quickly got out from the room and rushed to stand in between Tiffany and her father.

“What’s going on?”

“Your daughter is getting out of hand! I don’t raise her to be a lesbian!”

“But I love her, Daddy!”

PIAK!

Tiffany was stunned beyond words and her mother was taken aback as well. Mr Hwang has never raised his hands on Tiffany. He had always been that gentle and soft kind of father but this time around, Tiffany knew she could never get what she wanted.

“Listen to me! I won’t allow you to be with her and that’s final! I have asked to not to come near you anymore. I’ll be sending and fetching you to school from now onwards! And you can forget about your phone!”

Her father smashed the phone onto the floor and stormed back to his bedroom with her mother following behind him. Tiffany was loss for words; she was maimed by the pain on her cheek. Her heart was aching so badly.

She stared at her smashed phone and her heart bled further.

She was about to lose Jessica, the one person whom she loves and cares so deeply.

Meanwhile back in her parents’ room, Mrs Hwang was chiding Mr Hwang for being so fierce on Tiffany.

“What do you think you were doing slapping and shouting at her like that?”

“I had to do it.”

“You can talk her down with it. You don’t have to be so harsh on her!”

“I don’t have the choice, honey!”

“What choice are you talking about?! Tiffany grew up knowing you as that soft, gentle and friendly father. And then you raised your hand at her face now! She’s terrified of you now!”

“I had to do it. Trust me; it’s for her good.”

Mrs Hwang agreed with her husband. Although she was shocked with Tiffany’s preference but she loves her a lot. It wasn’t the fact that she couldn’t accept the relationship but it was an Asian conservative belief that homouals are mostly frown upon.

“But honestly, did you scold the other girl?”

“No, I didn’t.”

“You just told her that you don’t want her to be with Tiffany?”

Mr Hwang sighed and turned to look at his wife. He held her arms tightly and then hugged her. Mrs Hwang was puzzled.

“What’s wrong? What happened?”

“Promise me you will stay calm.”

“Why? What is it?”

“Tiffany’s in love with her twin sister.”

Mrs Hwang’s mouth was wide open. She covered it instinctively. She was obviously in a rude shock.

“Now you understand why I’m doing this? Don’t you think my heart hurt when I slapped Tiffany just now? And you should see how her twin sister was reacting to this news? I feel really bad for her.”

“Oh my god...”

“And it was Jessica’s idea that I should be the one who restrict their relationship. It would make more sense that way.”

“Her name is Jessica?”

“Yes, that’s her name. She’s crushed, honey. I’m feeling so bad for the two girls right now.”

Mrs Hwang could only hug her husband.

-