Chapter 13

Firefly

“You’re Hyori? It’s my pleasure to meet you. Your father has helped my family a lot. I owe my life to him.”

“What?”

“I’m Inspector Shim Chang Min. My late father is Old Man Lee’s best friend.”

“I see. Chun Hee asked me to come over to ask you a few questions.”

“Is this about Kim Jong Kook?”

“Yes, how did you know?”

“I was a staff sergeant when I took over his case. I know about the tragedy befallen on his family. They died in a tragic death.”

“I’m just here to know one thing.”

“Shoot, ask away. What do you wish to know?”

“Is my father involved in their deaths?”

Inspector Shim smiled and shook his head.

“Old Man Lee wasn’t involved. He was the one who reported this case to us. It was a case of arson. Mr Kim’s father has owed lots of money from the loan sharks. They were the culprits. They killed Mr Kim’s family.”

Hyori just stared at Inspector Shim. She didn’t expect this truth. Chun Hee was telling the truth. But she was still uncertain.

“What happened to Kim Jong Kook when he accused my father?”

“He attempted to kill your father but Old Man Lee persuaded the judge to reduce his sentence. When Jong Kook was in prison, he had asked many to look out for him. They taught him a lot of things and he even put Mr Kim through school. He paid for the fees but of course, Jong Kook wasn’t aware.”

Inspector Shim pulled out a letter and showed it to Hyori.

“Jong Kook was under the care of this prisoner. He has been sentenced to lifetime jail and he was a good friend of your father. If not for your father, many children out there would be dead and gone. I was one of them. Your father has helped many people especially those children whom their fathers had been killed, murdered or imprisoned. He always reminded me that the children are innocent.”

Hyori scanned through the letter. She recognized her father’s handwriting.

“Jong Kook thought the man who looked after him in the prison was the only friend he had. He has been telling the old man that he wanted to take revenge against your father. And of course, the old man tried to dissuade him but Jong Kook is vent to take revenge.”

“So my father is aware that Jong Kook is released?”

“Yes, of course he is. And I’m pretty sure he’s taking precautions.”

“What do you mean?”

“I know about your history, Hyori. He brought your twin newborn girls to me before. He had asked to track two men down. He said he needed to find them so that he could hand the girls over to them respectively.”

“So you know them?”

“I only know their names. They are Hwang Kik Young and Jung Byung Pin.”

“Where can I find them?”

“You have to ask your father. He knows them better than me.”

Hyori bit her lower lip.  There was just too much information to be digested but she wanted to know one more thing.

“What do you think of my father?”

Inspector Shim was taken aback but then he smiled warmly. He had too many good things to say about Old Man Lee but he refrained.

“He’s a good man. Maybe he’s not expressive enough to make you understand him but your father has done all he could to protect you and your twin daughters. Talk to him and ask him more.”

-

Chun Hee was waiting in the car. He drove to the police headquarters because Hyori refused to believe him. He had no choice but to ask Inspector Shim for help. The man gladly agreed.  An hour later, Hyori appeared in front of him. She looked bewildered and confused. Chun Hee quickly got out of the car and ran towards her.

“Hyori?”

Chun Hee was concerned when Hyori suddenly broke down and cried. He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly.

“There are just so many things that I’m unaware of. Did my father really do all those things?”

“I don’t know, Hyori but he apparently helped so many people that they were so grateful towards him.”

“He’s my father but yet I don’t know anything about him. I’m a bad daughter.”

Chun Hee shook his head.

“He doesn’t want you to worry. He doesn’t want to implicate you and cause more harm. He didn’t have a choice when he had to give your daughters up but he gave them to two good families.”

“Chun Hee, do you have their photos?”

“I only have their baby photos. I couldn’t find the rest. But there are two birth certificates in the file.”

“Can I see it?”

The pair got into the car and Chun Hee pulled out two files from his haversack. He took out the birth certificates and gave them to Hyori. Hyori’s hands shook as she gripped the certificates tightly. 

She saw their names. Her father has given them two beautiful names – Lee Soo Yeon & Lee Mi Young. Tears fell unknowingly. Soo Yeon was her late mother’s name.  Mi Young was her paternal grandmother’s name. Her father had named his two granddaughters after two women he had loved and cared for deeply – her late mother and grandmother.

“What’s wrong?”

Chun Hee saw her tears.

“I’ve wronged about my father. I’m a bad daughter.”

“Hyori ah, you didn’t know.”

“No, I’m just filled with too much anger and resentment towards him that I had forgotten his benevolence towards his loved ones.”

“You know he loves you.”

“I know but I just ignored it.”

“It’s still not late. You can still seek for his forgiveness. Are you ready to meet him?”

Hyori didn’t answer; instead she took her daughters’ baby photos and scanned through one by one. Her father had indicated at the back of the photos – their name and their age. She was looking at Miyoung when she was a year old. Then Hyori burst out laughing when she saw a cute photo of Soo Yeon gnawing on her pacifier at 8 months old.

“They are so beautiful.”

“I know. I saw the photos earlier on. Miyoung looks a lot like you.”

Hyori nodded; tears were already falling. Her heart ached so much. She caressed their photos gently with her thumb.

“Your father painstakingly collected these photos from their families so that he could give them to you one day. He had always wanted to reunite you and your twins some day. You must believe in him. He’s not as bad as you think he is.”

Hyori finally understood her father’s heart. She knew she had a lot of things to tell him; she had plenty of apologies to make. She turned to Chun Hee and grabbed hold of his arm.

“Please, take me to him, Chun Hee. I need to see him.”

“Your wish is my command, Hyori. I’ll bring you to him right away.”

Chun Hee drove off immediately.

-

Yonghwa ran around the beach. Jessica refused to answer his calls so he had to run aimlessly just to locate her. He was extremely worried for Jessica.

“JESSICA!”

He shouted her name umpteen of times for the last ten minutes but there was still no sign of her. Yonghwa was about to give up when he spotted a lonely figure at the other end of the jetty. He ran quickly with all his might and his heart jumped in relief when he realized who the person was.

“JESSICA!”

He shouted for the last time and the girl finally turned. Yonghwa’s smile fell short when he saw her face. He knew she was broken. The girl looked horrible.

“Jessica?”

He finally reached her and without hesitation, he wrapped his arms around her. Jessica pulled him closer and tightened her grip around his body. Yonghwa could felt her body trembled slightly.  She was really cold.

“What are you doing here all alone? What happened?”

He whispered softly in her ears but Jessica was more focused on her outpouring of hot tears. He could feel his shirt getting slightly damp but Yonghwa held her tighter and closer to him.

“Just cry it out. Oppa’s here. I’m not going anywhere.”

“Oppa....”

“What happened, Sica? What’s wrong?”

“Oppa... Tiffany....”

“Tiffany?”

Yonghwa remembers the name by hard. Tiffany’s her girlfriend.

“What did Tiffany do?”

“She didn’t do anything.. but I’m not allowed to love her..”

“Why? Her father doesn’t like it?”

Jessica shook her head as she buried her face deeper into his shirt. Yonghwa caressed her back gently.

“I cannot love her, oppa. Our love is forbidden right from the very beginning...”

“Why? Is it because both of you are girls? It’s the new millennium, Jessica. There’s an excuse!”

“Oppa.... I’m heart broken...”

“Don’t be. Don’t be like this, Jessica.”

Yonghwa didn’t like how broken Jessica was at that moment. He had always seen her to be smiling; strong and unaffected regardless whatever circumstances. He was not used to her being weak and clingy.

“Oppa will talk to Tiffany. I’ll talk to her father if you want!”

“It’s no use, Oppa... I just cannot love her anymore...”

“Why?”

“Tiffany’s my twin sister...”

Yonghwa was stunned.

-

Jessica fell asleep after awhile. She refused to go home so Yonghwa drove to the nearest hotel nearby. He wanted to take two rooms initially but Jessica refused to let him go. She was clinging to him and he had no choice. Yonghwa took a room with two beds.

He gently coaxed her and patted her back and Jessica was too exhausted to keep awake anymore. She fell asleep after an hour of coaxing and Yonghwa pulled the blanket over her shivering body.

He then took a seat on the sofa as his eyes lingered to his sister. He was stunned beyond words when Jessica confessed the truth that she knew she was adopted all along.

“I know you’re not my real brother.”

“What are you talking about, Jessica?”

“Please don’t lie to me anymore, oppa. I know I’m adopted.”

Yonghwa was stunned for the second time.

“Jessica..”

“I overheard your conversation with Omma the last time and Yunho oppa used to scold you when you accidentally blurted out that I wasn’t your sister.”

“Jessica, I was just jealous of you. That’s not true.”

“I’ve already learnt the truth. My grandfather has confessed to me.”

“What?”

“I saw him just now. We had a long talk and he told me everything – the reason why he gave me away and why he gave me to Appa.”

“Appa and Omma love you so much, Jessica.”

“I know. That’s why I didn’t ask them for the truth. I know you and Yunho oppa have accommodated me more than enough especially you. And recently you treat me well because you know the truth from Omma. You felt sorry for me, didn’t you?”

“Jessica, I’m sorry with the way I treated you before. But it doesn’t change anything, Jessica. You’re still part of the Jungs. We love you; and we will always treat you as part of this family.”

“I’m grateful for that, Oppa but I’m so broken and tormented right now. I fell in love with my twin sister that I’ve not known of. Why? Why must God treat me this way? Why must destiny play with our hearts like this? I love her so much, Oppa. I love Tiffany with all my life! What am I going to do now?”

Jessica broke down again and Yonghwa was helpless.

Yonghwa’s heart ached so much for Jessica. He knew his heart has fallen deeply for her and he knew that if he would tell her how he feels right now would only hurt Jessica further. He decided to hide his feelings for her.

He got up and walked over to Jessica. He swept her fringe backwards and wiped her tears away. He leaned closer and whispered in her ears.

“Jessica, Oppa can only be by your side like this. I’ll take good care of you if I have to, Jessica. Just don’t give up on yourself, please. It hurts me.”

-

Yoona was on the way home after a night supper with her friends.  She sent her drunkard friend home and was on the way to grab the last bus when she saw Tiffany at the bus stop. Yoona frowned as she took a quick glance at her watch – it was already 12 midnight.

What was Tiffany doing here in the middle of the night?

Yoona approached Tiffany cautiously. She stood next to her but Tiffany was still unaware of her presence. She was staring blankly into space and her eyes were red and swollen. Yoona’s heart ached a little.

“Tiffany?”

She gently nudged the girl’s arm and the latter slowly turned to look at her. Yoona was alarmed to find heavy tears in Tiffany’s eyes and she was looking so forlorn; so broken like she was falling out of love. That was obviously impossible because Tiffany and Jessica are so in love with one another.

“What are you doing here?”

“Yoona...”

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying? Where’s Jessica?”

Jessica’s name caused a fresh round of tears b in Tiffany’s eyes. The dam burst again and this time, Yoona was already panicking. She quickly rushed forward and grabbed Tiffany in her arms.

Tiffany wasn’t crying anymore; she was wailing; brawling and it was so heart-wrenching to watch Tiffany struggled with her emotions. But Tiffany was keeping silent and Yoona was concerned.

“Do you want to go home?”

Tiffany shook her head.

“You can’t stay here.”

“I don’t know where I should go. I don’t want to go home.”

Yoona nodded. Something must have happened and Tiffany wasn’t ready to tell her anything. So Yoona decided not to ask her and take her home instead.

“I’ll take you to my place then we will see what you want to do tomorrow, okay? You need some sleep. You look horrible.”

Tiffany was looking deeply into Yoona’s eyes. The younger girl blushed a little but grabbed Tiffany by the waist and hailed a cab instead. She was not going to give herself away to Tiffany who was obviously in a very vulnerable position.

“Thanks, Yoona.”

“It’s okay. I rather you stay with me than to be all alone in the middle of the night.”

“I’m tired, Yoona.”

“Then sleep for now. I’ll wake you up when we arrive.”

Within seconds, Tiffany closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep. Yoona pulled her closer and gently placed her down on her lap. Tiffany was grabbing tightly to her arm and Yoona’s heart leapt with joy. But she chided herself for taking advantage of Tiffany.

“Yoona, keep your excitement to yourself! Tiffany’s hurting!”

She slapped her own forehead.

-

“Did you just kidnap Tiffany or something?”

“Shut up and help me! She’s not getting any lighter.”

“What did you do?!”

“I’ll explain later; just let me in and I need to put her down. She’s going to wake up any minute soon now!”

Taeyeon grudgingly opened the door and Yoona hurriedly went into her room. She put Tiffany on her bed and pulled the blanket over her body. Tiffany couldn’t wake up earlier on. No matter what she did, Tiffany was sleeping like a dead log. So she didn’t have a choice but to carry Tiffany up from the taxi to her apartment.

Taeyeon was waiting for her at her doorway; anticipating her explanation. Yoona put her finger onto her lips and motioned her to leave. Taeyeon dragged her along.

“Can you tell me now?”

Yoona rolled her eyes as she sank into the sofa. Taeyeon hit her with the cushion.

“Ow!”

“YA~ Why did you bring a comatose Tiffany back to our house?”

“I don’t know. I just happened to see her at the bus stop at midnight with tears in her eyes. She was so broken and she didn’t want to tell me anything.”

“Why isn’t Jessica with her?”

“I have no idea. When I mentioned Jessica, she burst into tears and never stopped.”

“What?”

“I’m as confused as you are but I think Tiffany’s tired and Jessica was nowhere to be seen.  She refused to go home so I took her back with me.”

Taeyeon kept quiet. Yoona seemed to be telling her the truth. What happened between the two girls? Then she suddenly recalled Tiffany’s father.

“Wait, maybe Tiffany’s father didn’t want to be together?”

Yoona stared at Taeyeon. Then she widened her eyes.

“Oh, that’s right. He doesn’t seem pleased when Tiffany told him Jessica’s her girlfriend.”

“Could they have broken up because of that?”

Yoona frowned.

“Are you so eager to know?”

“What? No! I’m just worried.”

“Even if they are, you’re not going to take advantage of it right?”

“Are you insane? I’m just concerned as a friend. You’re the one who has to be careful. You just took her home when she was all vulnerable and helpless!”

“Then what? Did you expect me to leave her at the bus stop all night?!”

“Excuses! You have other motives, right?!”

“You’re insane!”

Yoona stood up and went towards Taeyeon’s room. The older girl ran to block her way.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m going to sleep?”

“In my room?”

“Since you accused me for taking advantage of Tiffany, I’m going to sleep with you tonight!”

“What!? NO!”

“It’s too late! I’m already on your bed!”

“IM YOONA! GET OFF!”

The two best friends were just too chaotic sometimes.

-

Jessica woke up to find herself in an unfamiliar room. She sat up and saw Yonghwa sleeping on the sofa. He was in an uncomfortable position. He must have been watching her all night. She quietly got out from the bed and went over to his side. She gently nudged him. Yonghwa slowly opened his eyes.

“Jessica?”

“Oppa, why are you sleeping on the couch?”

“I think I fell asleep here.”

He suddenly remembered last night so he quickly got up on his feet and put his arms around her.

“Are you alright?”

Jessica’s heart started to ache all over. Her mind was filled with Tiffany and the pain came in waves; crushing her heart into pieces all over again. Tears were quick to find Jessica’s eyes and Yonghwa was panicking again.

“Please, dont cry.”

“Oppa, it hurts.”

“I know. But it hurt me as well if you cry.”

Jessica could see sincerity in Yonghwa’s eyes. She knows Yonghwa is concerned about her now. He is worried so she put on a brave side and gave him a smile.

“I will not cry.”

“You can cry but you can only do it when I’m around, understand?”

“Yes, Oppa.”

“There, let’s wipe your tears away.”

Jessica nodded.

“Are you hungry?”

“Yes..”

“Let’s eat something and we will take things one step at a time.”

“Oppa, I’m not your little sister.”

“I don’t care. You’re a part of Jung right now. You’re not going to abandon us, right?”

“No, Oppa. I’ll never do that.”

“Jessica, can you don’t let Omma know that you found out about your background?”

Jessica looked up to find him staring at her worriedly.

“She’s afraid to lose you. Omma loves you a lot, Jessica. You’re the next dearest person in her life.”

Jessica knew what her adopted brother meant. She loves her mother a lot. Mrs Jung had been especially nice to her and she raised her with lots of love and concern. Jessica knew she couldn’t hurt the Jungs especially her mother.

“Oppa, I won’t hurt her. I promise.”

“About Tiffany, I don’t know how I can help you, Jessica.”

Jessica looked away; tears threatened to fall once again but she had promised she wouldn’t cry anymore. So she held them back.

“I’ve given up on her.”

“But does she know the truth?”

Jessica painfully shook her head.

“What? So you’re going to carry this burden all by yourself?”

She blinked her tears away and then nodded solemnly. Yonghwa was already pulling her for a hug.

“I have to, Oppa. Tiffany doesn’t have to know the truth. Because it hurts. Even though my grandfather was forced to give us away, but it still hurts so much until now.”

“I understand. But you’re not going to be alone. Oppa’s here for you.”

“Oppa, you don’t have to do this.”

Yonghwa shushed her by hugging her tightly. Jessica was leaning against his shoulder. She grabbed his shirt collar tightly and Yonghwa whispered in her ears.

“Oppa is going to stay with you. When you need somebody, Oppa’s here.”

Jessica nodded as she clung on Yonghwa for support.

-

Tiffany woke up to a sweet aroma coming from outside the room. She opened her eyes slowly and sat up immediately. She realized she wasn’t in her room. She was about to get out of bed when she heard the bathroom door opened. Out came Yoona with her wet hair and a wide smile on her face.

“Ah, you’re awake.”

“Yoona?”

“Yes?”

Tiffany suddenly remembered last night. Yoona suggested staying overnight at her place so Tiffany deduced that she was in Yoona’s room.

“Thanks for helping me.”

“It’s not a problem. Here, I’ve prepared some clean clothes for you to change into and a towel. I think my clothes are a little long for you so I got Taeyeon’s instead.”

“Thanks.”

“Wash up and get dress. I’ll make breakfast for you.”

Yoona was drying her hair when Tiffany stood nervously beside her. She took Yoona’s towel from her hand and Yoona was staring at her from the mirror reflection. She was taken aback at first.

“Let me help you.”

“Uh.”

Tiffany smiled before enveloped Yoona’s hair with the towel and gently rubbed them against it. Yoona was just staring with her eyes wide open. Her heart was racing and she swore she could hear it pounding against her ribcage.

And Tiffany was oblivious; she just continued to dry Yoona’s hair. Both girls were quiet. None spoke a word but Tiffany suddenly stopped. Tears fell and she crashed to the ground with a thud. Yoona was stunned for a second before kneeling down.

“Tiffany!”

Tiffany was crying again. Taeyeon was already running into the room since she heard the loud thud.

“What happened?”

Taeyeon asked when she saw Tiffany and Yoona on the floor. Yoona scooped Tiffany up in her arms and placed her on the bed. Taeyeon was looking on and she was alarmed to see Tiffany’s swollen eyes.

“Hey, Tiffany..”

Yoona called out to her softly.

“Yoona.. she’s gone..”

Tiffany pulled Yoona closer.

“Hush now.”

“She’s gone, Yoona.. Jessica’s gone.. she’s not coming back to me anymore..”

She cried even more after that; leaving both Taeyeon and Yoona looked on with worries.

-