Chapter 2

Firefly

Lee Hyori was staring blankly into the empty space ahead of her. She was waiting for the bus to arrive. Ever since the day she gave her two girls away, her life was never at peace. Her heart was aching each time she saw little girls on the street. They would just remind her of her pitiful twin baby girls. She wondered how they would be right now.  

“Miss Lee, you need a lift?”

She was startled by the voice. She looked up to find one of her nanny’s sons smiling at her.

“Oh, Chun Hee, it’s you.”

“You’re going to work?”

“Yeah, I’ve been waiting for the bus.”

“I’ll give you a lift.”

“Is it convenient?”

“It’s along the way, don’t worry.”

Hyori smiled and got into his car. He immediately sped off. The two were of the same age and they grew up together. His older brother had already left the country after he got married. Only Chun Hee left with his mother. The mother and son pair has moved out from Hyori’s premises but the lady kept in touch with them.

“What were you thinking of earlier on? I saw you staring into space.”

Chun Hee was always concerned about her. It was just pure habit. He grew up; living on the Lees’ premises so he was naturally protective of the Missy. Hyori sighed.

“I was just reminiscing about the past.”

“Oh.”

“I was thinking of my girls.”

Chun Hee was feeling tense. Only he and his brother knew the fate of the twin girls. He sometimes wondered if Old Lee did spare the twins’ lives. He was unsure. He remembered arguing with his brother about it.

“Miss Lee gave us the responsibility to give the babies away. Why did you leave them with Old Lee?!”

“Did you see the pistols around his waist? You want to get shot by him!?”

“What if he kills the twins?”

“I’m feeling equally bad as you are but I think I have the responsible to protect ourselves from him too!”

“What do we tell Mom now?!”

“Just lie to her. Just tell her we left the girls at the church and hope for the best.”

“We owe Miss Lee her daughters if Old Lee really kills the children!”

“Then we will live with this guilt for the rest of our lives. We will just spend our lives protecting her and Mom.”

Chun Hee couldn’t do anything much anyway. The secret is still kept away from his mother and Miss Lee all this while. It had been 20 years.

“Chun Hee?”

“Huh?”

“Now it’s your turn to be quiet.”

“Oh? Did you say something?”

“You left my girls at the church. Did anyone take them in?”

“Oh, the nun took them in.”

“Oh, that’s great. I wonder if they are doing fine right now.”

“I’m sure they will.”

It was a white lie that Chun Hee has been telling Miss Lee over the years. Honestly, he wished he knew what happened to the girls.

“Chun Hee ah...”

“Hmm?”

“I thought of something crazy.”

“What is it?”

“I want to find my daughters.”

Chun Hee was stunned. What would happen if she found out that her daughters were dead? And that her father might have killed them? Or the girls might not survive somehow? He needed to find them before Miss Lee does. He needed to know the truth about the girls’ fate. He offered to help.

“I will help you.”

“Huh? Are you serious?”

“Yes, I will help you find them.”

“Thanks Chun Hee! You’re the best!”

Chun Hee could only smile weakly.

*

Tiffany Hwang took a deep breath at the gate of the university. She just couldn’t believe she was accepted into one of the prestigious universities in Seoul. Her father was really proud of her. He worked even harder and Tiffany felt sorry. She initially wanted to reject it but her father urged her not to. He got her on scholarship instead and Tiffany was convinced that it wouldn’t add on to her father’s burden. Only her father knew the truth.

Tiffany slowly made her way up to the lecture hall.  There were a lot of students lingering around; some with companions but most of them were sitting alone. It was like another awkward first day of school. Tiffany settled down at the corner of the hall. She was sitting quietly by herself when suddenly someone tapped on her shoulder. She looked up.

“I’m sorry, but do you mind moving in?”

The person was pointing at the empty space beside her. Tiffany nodded and moved in. The girl sat beside her. Tiffany was still staring at her. The girl’s really pretty.

“Is everything alright?”

Tiffany was startled.

“Huh?”

“You were staring at my face. Is there anything on it?”

“Huh? No, no. You look just fine.”

Tiffany’s heart was beating really fast. The girl knows she’s different from any other girls. She prefers girls over guys. But she was not going to give herself away.

“I’m Jessica.”

Tiffany saw her hand stretched out right in front of her. She took the girl’s hand gently. It felt familiar. It felt like she has known the girl forever.

“Tiffany.”

“Well, that’s a nice name.”

“Yours too. Anyway, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“It’s my pleasure too.”

Tiffany knew it was the beginning of everything.

*

Jessica was looking bored. She’s smart but Jessica hates long lectures. The orientation was taking too much time and the girl got really bored easily. She sat there, pouting her lips when she noticed Tiffany looking a little lost than earlier on. She waved her hand.

“Tiffany! Over here!”

It caught Tiffany’s attention. The girl had a blur look on her face at first but when she recognized it was Jessica, her smile appeared instantly. Jessica was taken aback when her heart skipped a beat.

Tiffany’s smile made her heart raced.

“Hey, Jessica! Thank goodness!”

“Hey. You look lost. Where did you come from?”

“I was supposed to go for some orientation but the school was just too huge.”

“Let me see your paper.”

Jessica just took it from Tiffany’s hands and read through. Her face lighted up instantly.

“HEY! We are in the same course!”

“Really?!”

“Yeah, look!”

Jessica pointed on the paper excitedly. She was just glad to have Tiffany in her course while Tiffany was literally overjoyed.

“You know what?”

Tiffany turned to look at Jessica.

“I’m beginning to love school now.”

“Why?”

“I get to be with you!”

It was indeed the beginning of new friendship.

*

“Welcome abroad, Miss Lee. You’ll be one of our lecturers and hope you will have a pleasant working environment with us.”

The professor was shaking hands with her. It was a new start for Hyori. It took her 20 years to gather enough courage to leave her father’s side. And to her surprise, the old man agreed to let her leave.

Lee Hyori was born into a family of mafia descendants. Her late grandfather was the mafia ring leader and all of her relatives including her father were part of the gang. No doubt she was rich but it didn’t give Hyori a sense of belonging. Her mother died while protecting her when her father’s enemies found them instead of him. They killed her mother right in front of Hyori. Her world became even darker when her father became revengeful towards her mother’s death. She knew her father loves her mother dearly and since then, he put a tight control on Hyori. He became unfeeling and it would kill anyone mercilessly.

Hyori grew afraid of him. He was so controlling that Hyori felt suffocated with him. She became rebellious and got into a lot of trouble in school. Everybody was terrified of Hyori and of course her father too. Nobody dared to say anything against him so Hyori got away from her bad deeds in school all the time.

However Hyori fell in love with a guy at her school. He was studious and a perfect role model for the juniors in their school. He was the one who convinced Hyori to study hard and steered her to the right path.  They fell in love but Hyori’s father disapproved of their relationship. It got worse when Hyori was pregnant with his baby. And the boy left her after finding out the truth. Her father was furious and ordered Hyori to abort it.

She refused. She left home. And when it was time for her to deliver, she got her nanny to help. Unknown to them, Hyori’s father knew about her whereabouts. Hyori thought her father never knew. After a month’s rest, Hyori returned to her father’s home.

She was prepared for everything but to her surprise, her father just embraced her and took her back. He took care of her and became a lot more attentive to her needs. Hyori was suspicious at first but after a few years, her father’s health was deteriorating. The girl just couldn’t stay mad at him for long.

Hyori sighed. She was determined to do better for herself and her father. She has forgiven him but there was only one thing Hyori wanted to do so badly – she wanted to find her daughters. That was the only wish she had.

*

Jessica fell asleep in the library. Tiffany had a hard time waking her up. When she finally did, they were already late for their next activity. The two girls ran along the corridor; hoping to get to the lecture hall in time.

“You slept like a pig!”

“I should have warned you.”

“Yes, you should! I thought you were dead!”

“Fine, I will let you know beforehand if I feel like falling asleep!”

“Why are we still arguing along the hallway? Can you please hurry up?!”

Jessica laughed.

“What are you laughing at?!”

“You’re just so adorable, Tiffany!”

“Shut up and hurry up!”

The two girls continued to bicker when Jessica actually rammed against someone. She fell onto the floor immediately; together with the person she ran into.

“Oh my god! Are you alright?”

Tiffany quickly helped Jessica up before turning to the fallen person. The person was groaning in pain.

“Are you alright?”

“Yes, I think so.”

“I’m sorry about my friend. She didn’t see you.”

“Hey, it hurts for me too!”

“Shut up! You just knocked into someone. She hit hard on the floor.”

Jessica pouted her lips and Tiffany just had the urge to kiss them. She held back.

“I’m really sorry.  Can you stand up?”

Tiffany was holding onto the lady’s hand while Jessica assisted her.

“It’s okay, girls. I’m fine.”

She managed to get back on her feet. Tiffany gathered her notes and gave it to the lady. She managed to look at the paper.

“Oh my god! You’re a lecturer!”

Jessica’s eyes grew larger.

“Yes I am. Are you girls late for class or something?”

“We are having orientation. We’re actually rushing to the next activity when she banged into you.”

Tiffany pointed at Jessica. The latter rolled her eyes. Jessica turned to the lady instead.

“I’m sorry for running into you, Maam.”

“Call me Miss Lee will do.”

“I’m sorry Miss Lee.”

“It’s okay.”

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Yes I am.”

“That’s a relief. I’m sorry but I think we better get going.”

“Sure but wait, can I have your names?”

“Are you going to punish us later?”

Tiffany just stared at Jessica.The lady chuckled to herself.

“You’re an undergrad not a middle school student. I just want to know your names.”

“Oh, my name is Jessica. That panicking one over there is Tiffany.”

Tiffany shot a look but Jessica looked away; pretended like she didn’t see her. The lady smiled widely.

“The two of you are so cute. You better run along now. You’re really late.”

“I’m sorry again, Miss Lee. We will see you around.”

The two girls quickly ran away. Miss Lee just looked on with a smile. Her daughters would be of the same age as the two girls.

*

“Can I help you?”

“Master Lee, this is Chun Hee.”

“Ah, how are you?”

“I’m good. How about you?”

“I’m doing well. Mom’s good too.”

“That’s nice to hear.”

“I’m here for a reason. I’m not sure if you can help me.”

“What is it, Chun Hee?”

Chun Hee was hesitant. He wasn’t too sure if he had the right to ask him. But somehow he had to. He promised Hyori that he would help her find his daughters.

“What happened to Miss Lee’s daughters?”

The old man turned to look at Chun Hee. He smiled.

“Why do you want to know?”

Chun Hee swallowed hard. He wasn’t too sure if he should say but the old man looked fragile.

“Miss Lee wants to look for her daughters.”

The old man slowly stood up. He was nodding his head as he walked slowly to his desk. He gave Chun Hee two pair of necklace cases. Chun Hee was confused.

“These cases will give you a clue.”

“What?”

“Find the missing necklaces and you might find out the truth about the two girls.”

Chun Hee was completely lost. He took out the cases and realized they were empty.

“You mean..?”

“I gave the necklaces to them. I put it around their necks. If you can find the missing necklaces, you might able to find them.”

Chun Hee was hopeful. He was surprised too.

“You didn’t kill them?”

The old man smiled.

“Why should I kill my two beautiful grand-daughters?”

“But..”

“If Hyori wants to find them, tell her to find the missing necklaces.”

That’s all the old man would indulge. And Chun Hee had to find the necklaces or the girls quick.

“Chun Hee, do me a favour.”

“Yes?”

“Don’t tell Hyori the truth about the necklaces. Find the necklaces first then let her know.”

“She thought you wanted to harm them.”

The old man nodded his head.

“I know. But I didn’t. They are just too beautiful for me to hurt them.”

Chun Hee was relieved to hear that.

*

Mrs Hwang was in the kitchen when Mr Hwang returned with an old man. She greeted them politely and prepared some cakes on the table. Mr Hwang gave Tiffany’s photo to him. The old man smiled widely.

“This is her?”

“Yes, Mr Lee. This is your grand-daughter.”

Mr & Mrs Hwang found out about Tiffany’s background. Mr Hwang used to work for Mr Lee and the old man knew about Mr Hwang’s family. He knew Mr Hwang is a nice man so he gave one of his grand-daughters to him.

“She’s really beautiful, Mr Lee.”

Mrs Hwang added on.

“She has grown beautiful because the two of you take good care of her. I’m grateful for that.”

“Mr Lee, do you want to meet her?”

The old man shook his head.

“Mr Lee, you are the one who literally raised her up. You have been giving us money for her upbringing. Without you, I don’t think I can afford to send her to university.”

“I would prefer not letting her know that her grandfather belongs to a mafia gang.”

“But you love her.”

“Love doesn’t need to be seen. As long she’s happy, I’d be glad. Don’t ever let her know the truth about her family. Let time slowly unveils itself.”

That was the old man’s last advice to Mr & Mrs Hwang.

*

“Mr Jung, someone’s here.”

“Uncle Lee!”

“Byung Pin, how are you?”

“I’m good. Are you doing well?”

“I’m doing okay. I’m here to ask about Soo Yeon.”

Mr Jung nodded his head.

“She’s doing well. She’s studying in a university now.”

“That’s great. Thank you for raising her up, Byung Pin.”

“Uncle Lee, I owe my life to you. If you didn’t raise me up after my father’s death, I would be starving to death in the streets. Soo Yeon has been a blessing. My wife loves her so much.”

“Thank you for showering her with so much love.”

“Uncle Lee, are you sure you’re not going let Hyori knows about her daughters?”

“She’s doing well on her own.”

“But..”

“Byung Pin, I don’t want the girls to remind her of the bastard.”

“I understand, Mr Lee.”

“Please take good care of Soo Yeon for me.”

“I will.”

*

The old man sat on his arm chair. He was smoking his cigar as he recalled about the past. He remembered being in the study room with his grand-daughters. He wanted to be in control of whom should he give his beloved grandchildren to. He thought about it thoroughly before he decided.

He gave them to two trusted people – Hwang Kik Young and Jung Byung Pin. Hwang Kik Young used to work for him but after he was shot in the leg, Old Lee didn’t abandon him. He gave him a huge sum of money but Hwang rejected it. He was just grateful that Old Lee sent him for treatment but he was left handicapped for life. But he didn’t blame Old Lee. He was just too loyal to the old man.

Jung Byung Pin’s father was Old Lee’s right hand man. But when he was murdered, Old Lee took Byung Pin who was only 10 years old with him. He put the boy through school and eventually the boy did well in his life. He has never forgotten about Old Lee.

Knowing Hwang’s issues not able to conceive, he gave his granddaughter to him. Byung Pin’s wife has always wanted a daughter, so he gave the other twin to him. And that’s how he was still able to know about them.

But he kept the truth from his daughter. Although she was on talking terms with him but their relationship was already tainted. He was alright with his daughter’s bad impression of him. Either way, he was still protecting his daughter and his granddaughters.

That was all he wanted to do for the rest of his life.

*

“Can you stop flirting and help me out here?!”

Kim Taeyeon was screaming at her best friend, Im Yoona. The two girls set up a stall at the university cafeteria. Yoona’s really popular with the guys and also the girls. She’s just drop dead gorgeous.

Yoona went over to Taeyeon and helped her. They set up a sandwich and pastries stall which the students love to hang out. Well, they hang out around there because of the owners. The two young entrepreneurs were not only smart but pretty too.

“The students are going to have their break soon. We need to put these pastries out as soon as possible.”

Taeyeon was more hardworking and meticulous as compared to Yoona. Yoona was really good at marketing. Taeyeon was better at the preparation of the food.

“I know. But are you jealous that I’m flirting with them?”

Taeyeon looked up to find the girls were still gushing over Yoona.

“That’s how you market yourself.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“The girls buy food from here because they wanted to see you.”

“Aw, you’re jealous!”

“Shut up, Im Yoona and hurry up!”

Taeyeon left Yoona with the packing. She went back into the kitchen and took out the freshly baked pastries. She was carefully taking out one tray at a time when she heard a voice outside.

“Hi, is anyone around?”

“Yes, hang on.”

Taeyeon was puzzled. Why didn’t Im Yoona entertain the customer? Taeyeon quickly put the trays aside and walked out. Im Yoona was nowhere in sight. She rolled her eyes.

“Im Yoona, you stupid kid!”

She mumbled to herself. She wiped her hands off and walked over to the counter. She didn’t look up but quickly greeted the customer.

 “Yeah, I would like to have one tuna sandwich to go please?”

“Sure do. Do you like to get iced tea along with it?

“Yes, that will be great.”

Taeyeon finally looked up. And she was stunned. She has never seen such a pretty girl before. She was still staring at the girl; completely baffled.

Just then, someone else came in. Another girl was rushing the one at the counter.

“Jessica, are you done yet?”

“Err, not yet. I’m still waiting for her to give me my tuna sandwich.”

Taeyeon realized she was just staring at them stupidly. She chided mentally to herself.

“I’m sorry. I was a little daze just now. But here you go.”

“It’s okay. You look cute anyway. That will be $2.50 right?”

“Yes..”

“Okay, here you go. Keep the change!”

The girl smiled at her widely. Taeyeon’s heart was immediately captivated.

“Tiffany, let’s go!”

“You took so long, Jessica!”

“I was late for just 10 minutes!”

Taeyeon looked on as the two girls bickered until they left her shop.

“Jessica.. that’s a nice name.”

Taeyeon thought to herself.

*

Yoona was doing her usual rounds; distributing samples of sandwiches and pastries around. That’s her way of marketing. It worked well anyway. Yoona just needed to smile and the students were hooked. She was down to her last sample. Her admirers promised to head over to her stall after school.

“You’re doing well, Yoona.”

The girl was praising herself. She put the basket aside and sat down. She was wiping her perspiration away when she saw a girl walking around; in confusion. She looked a little lost. Yoona just sat there; observing the girl.

She loves the confusion look the girl had on her face. She was a little panicking; like as though she was searching for someone. Then the girl disappeared into a stall. Yoona was surprised.

“That’s our stall. Is she looking for Taeyeon?”

Yoona was on her feet when she heard voices. She quickly turned to find the same girl pulling another girl’s hand. They were bickering.

“It was just 10 minutes!”

“I thought I lost you!”

“Tiffany, you’re too nervous. Just relax okay?”

“I’m sorry; the school compound is too overwhelming for me.”

“Don’t worry; I promise I won’t leave you anymore. I’ll let you know where I’ll be going, okay?”

“You promise?”

“Yes, Tiffany. I promise.”

Yoona looked on as the girls slowly disappeared from her view. She was chuckling to herself. Their bickering was too cute especially that panicky one.

“Tiffany’s her name, eh? She’s just too cute.”

Yoona was smiling silly to herself.

*