Chapter 3

Firefly

Jessica was on her way home when she was stopped abruptly by a red Ferrari car. She knew who the driver was. She waited for the driver to wind down his window. The driver got out instead and sat on the hood of his expensive car. He was smirking away.

“What do you want now?”

Jessica was getting tired of his little games. He would issue her a challenge and Jessica always won it. But she was growing tired of his childish antics. He was a few years older than him but still behaved like a little child.

“I hate you, you know that, right?”

“I think I know that really well.”

“I’m not going to let you take away what’s rightfully meant to be mine.”

“What do you think I could steal from you?”

“You have no right to obtain the family’s fortune if Mom and Dad die one day.”

“Hah! All you care about is the money. I don’t really care about it. You can take mine if you want to.”

He stood up immediately. He was challenged and he didn’t like it one bit. Jessica was terrified but she stood her ground. The only way to win her elder brother was to stand against him. So far, he would back down knowing he could never win Jessica no matter what he did.

“I’ll make sure you don’t get a single cent.”

“Jung Yonghwa, what is it that you hate about me? I’m your sister.”

“Who said you are my sister?”

Jessica knew the truth but she had to pretend like she didn’t. She appeared shocked and confused. And Yonghwa was already biting his lower lip. He knew he made a mistake.

“I mean, I don’t like you because you stole my rightful place as the maknae of the family!”

Jessica glared at him but deep down inside, she was grateful to him. Although Yonghwa often blurted out the truth, he would try to cover it up with his childish comments. Jessica had no intention of stealing away his fortune.

“Fine then. You call me Noona, I’ll return the maknae position back to you.”

“YOU!”

Yonghwa was incensed. But Jessica just turned away and walked off. That was how she would always win against her elder brother. She knew he didn’t mean any harm. He just hated her guts.

“JUNG SOO YEON! I’M NOT LETTING THIS DOWN!”

He was still screaming madness at her but Jessica continued to walk away. The man was just full of words but he wouldn’t do anything. He wanted to play it down with reverse psychology but Jessica knew better.

Meanwhile Tiffany witnessed what happened between Jessica and Yonghwa. She was surprised to see the bad blood between Jessica and her brother. She waited for Yonghwa to leave before catching up with Jessica at the bus stop. The latter was already smiling widely when she saw Tiffany approaching.

“Hey, you have not gone home yet?”

“I was exploring the library. I wanted to know where we could get materials for our courses. You’re not going home yet?”

“Nah, I fell asleep at the student lounge.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. Jessica just loves to sleep. The other girl was sticking her tongue out.

“It has only been the first day but it seems like I have known you long enough.”

“Oh? What did you learn so far about me?”

“You’re a sleepyhead.”

“A girl needs her beauty sleep.”

“But you’re sleeping at anytime and anywhere. I can never do that.”

“I used to sleep for 12 hours during the school vacation.”

Tiffany’s eyes grew larger. Jessica was giggling softly. Moments later, Tiffany ended up laughing after she realized how silly the conversation was. She felt instantly at ease being around Jessica. She felt comfortable; she felt close. There was a certain kind of dejavu that she might have seen Jessica somewhere. Tiffany just couldn’t describe the feeling of closeness she was experiencing being with Jessica.

Jessica, on the other hand, felt like there was a sense of belonging when Tiffany stood beside her. It was just the first day of school but Jessica could easily ; put her arm around Tiffany without feeling awkward. It was like as though the walls broke down instantly. She felt like she knew Tiffany for a long time.

Both girls felt a certain kind of attraction. There was a mutual feeling that both of them were desperately trying to hide. Tiffany knew of her ual preferences but Jessica thought she could never get the opportunity to explore her feelings for the same gender.

They thought they were falling in love with each other. And it scared them so much.

*

Mr Hwang was waiting for his daughter at the bus stop. The journey from the university back to their house would take Tiffany hours to reach home. He contemplated if he should get Tiffany her own transport.

“Discuss with her first. She will get mad if you just suddenly appear with a car.”

His wife reminded him. Tiffany has never asked for expensive things but Mr Hwang was willing to give his daughter anything. He finally saw the bus approaching. He quickly got up on his feet and waited at the door. True enough, his daughter appeared before him.

“Daddy? What are you doing here?”

“I was waiting for you.”

Tiffany was slightly embarrassed. She was already 20.

“I can go home on my own, Daddy.”

“It’s almost evening. I just wanted to ensure you’ll get home safe and sound.”

Tiffany felt touched with her father’s thoughtfulness. She hooked her arm with her father and the father and daughter walked home hand in hand together. The old man was so much older than her. Tiffany was only 20 but her parents were already in the late sixties. This made Tiffany cherish her parents even more.

“Daddy, are you proud of me?”

Her father turned to look at her and beamed proudly.

“Of course I am! You’re my precious girl, you know?”

Tiffany gloated happily. She kissed her father’s cheek. She was never shy with her expressions. She knew she had to shower her affections for her elderly parents.

“So how’s the first day of university life?”

Tiffany smiled widely. She was thinking of Jessica.

“It was great so far. In fact, I think I’ll enjoy it.”

“That’s nice to hear. Have you made friends?”

“Yes Daddy. I did.”

“That’s fast. But I’m not surprised. My daughter is easy-going.”

Tiffany nodded.

“I guess so. I’ll introduce her to you one day, okay?”

“Great! Now let’s hurry! Your mother has been busy the whole day.”

“What? What did the two of you have done now?”

“We’ll be having a sumptuous dinner!”

“Daddy, I told you not to bother about that. Why don’t you just keep the money for your retirement use later?”

“Oh come on. You’re my only child. You come first above anything else.”

“But we have been spending so much lately.”

“Fany my dear, I rather spend my money on you. Your mother and I are not getting any younger now. I just want to live the remaining years of my life; putting a smile on your face.”

Tiffany cried immediately.

*

“Tiffany, why are your eyes so red? Who made you cry?!”

Her mother was panicking when Tiffany burst open the door and ran towards her. She buried her face on her mother’s back that prompted the old lady to turn around immediately.

“Why are you crying, precious?”

Tiffany pointed to her father.

“What did you do to her?!”

“I didn’t do anything!”

“Daddy said he’s going to die soon.”

“Old man, how many times must I tell you? Don’t say such things to Tiffany!”

“I wasn’t! I was just explaining why I rather spend money on her than on myself.”

Tiffany looked on with a grin on her face. Her parents often argued for no reasons because of Tiffany. She put her arms around her mother and rested her chin on her shoulders.

“Mommy, I was just pulling your leg. Daddy didn’t bully me.”

“Your father often talks nonsense. Don’t listen to him.”

“I was just stating the truth.”

Her father was sulking away. Tiffany grinned before hugging her father tightly.

“I know you care, Daddy. I was just touched with your words earlier on.”

“You scared me.”

“Aw, you’re just so adorable. I’m so proud to have you as my father!”

“Tiffany Hwang, you’re lucky you’re my daughter.”

Tiffany stuck her tongue out at her father.

*

Jessica went straight to her bedroom the moment she reached home. She was home alone. Her parents were out at work. Her brothers were not back yet. Yunho would be home before 6pm and Yonghwa would be home after 12 midnight. She was well aware of their schedules.

Jessica often spent her time alone at home since she was a child. They used to have a maid who would look after her but now she was all grown up, they didn’t need the use of a maid anymore.

It was a big house but with no one around. Jessica was often lonely. She grew up as a quiet child so that was the reason why she was puzzled with her interactions with Tiffany. Jessica hardly speaks more than three sentences at home but she was completely comfortable with Tiffany. She was surprised that she would actually tease Tiffany every now and then. The girl brought out the different side of Jessica Jung.

Her phone rang and it was her mother. Well, that was her daily routine. She would call Jessica up an hour before dinner. Jessica smiled widely as she answered the phone.

“How’s school, darling?”

“It has been great, Mom.”

“That’s good to hear. Are you home yet?”

“Yes, Mom.”

“What would you like to have for dinner, darling?”

“I’m not choosy, Mom.”

“Okay then. I’ll be back in half an hour’s time. I’ll see you later.”

“Alright, Mommy.”

“Love you sweetie.”

“Love you too.”

Jessica stared at the phone for a second before hanging up. She felt like her life was blessed. She found out that she was adopted when she was 11. She overheard the argument between Yunho and Yonghwa before. It shocked her and Jessica cried for days.

Her parents were worried when Jessica didn’t stop crying. Jessica knew she shouldn’t let her parents down just like that. She started to recall the amount of love and attention her parents showered on her; putting her through school and giving her everything that she wanted; so she was determined to return that favour to them.

She never told her family that she knew she was adopted. She was certain they hid the truth for a reason and Jessica had no desires to find her real family. Maybe she was given away under unfavourable conditions; maybe her own family was too poor to raise her up.

So Jessica learnt to be grateful and appreciate of everything she had right now. Even when Yonghwa was such an to her, Jessica learnt to forgive him easily. She was the intruder in the family and it was understandable why Yonghwa resented her.

For some reason, Jessica decided to be as humble as she could because she knew that whatever she had now was rightfully not hers.

 But there was one thing that Jessica treasured greatly – there was a necklace around her neck. It was there since she was a little baby. Her parents never explained to her the reason for that necklace so she assumed it must have been left behind to her by her real family.

She gently caressed the locket on the necklace. It was in a shape of a firefly. She wondered the significance behind this necklace. She had many burning questions but she thought she didn’t have the right to ask the truth from her family.

So the poor girl kept the questions secretly to herself.

*

Taeyeon thought she was early. She was stunned to find Yoona opening the stall and putting out the tables and chairs accordingly. She looked at the time. Im Yoona was never this early.

“What wind blows this morning?”

“What?”

“You’re really early today.”

“Early bird gets the most worms.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“What worms in particular are you referring to?”

“Girls?”

“So you came early in the morning in hoping to woo the girls patronizing our stall?”

“Yup, you’re right!”

“You’re still so full of nonsense. But it’s good that you are going to turn into a new leaf.”

“What new leaf? Have I been a bad kid?”

“You would only stroll in at 10 am. Now it’s only 7am.”

“I just cannot get to sleep.”

Taeyeon was helping her out.

“Huh? Why not?”

“I think I’m in love.”

Taeyeon’s mouth was wide open.

*

“IN LOVE?! WITH WHO?!”

“Some girl.”

“What the..”

Taeyeon was completely taken away with Yoona’s confession. This was the first time Yoona actually said she was in love.

“What’s with the commotion?”

“You don’t fall in love. You date. You flirt. But never fall in love.”

“Hey, don’t make me sound like I’m a Casanova or something.”

Taeyeon stared at her.

“What?!”

“Excuse me, but I think you’re a well known Casanova in this school.”

“I just cannot help it. Love is never in my dictionary until now.”

“So who’s the lucky girl?”

“I only know her name.”

“What?”

“Her name is Tiffany.”

“Is this even a legitimate?”

“What is?”

“Does girl even exist?”

“You’re insulting my love!”

“I’m not! But you’re too playful at times and not forgetting an avid prankster!”

“Do I need to work on my first impression again?”

“I know you too well.”

“Tiffany’s a real girl! Not an imagination!”

“Fine then. Show her to me then!”

“I will. ONE DAY I WILL!”

Taeyeon couldn’t believe Yoona. She threw her hands up to surrender and walked back to the kitchen. Yoona was protesting.

“HEY! IT IS THE TRUTH! I FELL IN LOVE AT THE FIRST SIGHT!”

“YEAH YEAH! EVERYONE DOES!”

“WHY WON’T YOU BELIEVE IN ME?!”

“YOU’RE THE RESIDENT JOKER!”

“KIM TAEYEON, YOU’RE MY BEST FRIEND! HOW COULD YOU EVEN DOUBT ME?!”

“SHUT UP!”

It was always chaotic when Kim Taeyeon and Im Yoona bickered. The two best friends were just noisy like that.

*

Yunho sent Jessica to school again. She gave her brother a soft kiss on his right cheek.

“Have fun in school, okay?”

“Yeah I will.”

Her brother drove off and Jessica decided to grab a sandwich. She made her way to the same pastry shop she went yesterday. The home made sandwiches were really good. But again, the owner was never there to greet her at the counter. She called out for assistance.

“Hi, anyone around?”

She heard a grumbling sound from the back kitchen.

“Where is that woman again?! Why is she always missing!?”

Jessica watched as the same girl who attended to her yesterday, grudgingly made her way to the counter. Again, the girl was stumped when their eyes met.

“Urm, is there anything wrong?”

“Huh?”

“You had that same look since yesterday. Do I know you or something? Or is there something on my face?”

“Oh, nothing nothing! I’m sorry. I thought my partner was here. She was supposed to mend the counter.”

“Ah, so you were the one who made the pastries and sandwiches?”

“Yes I am. Is there anything I can help you?”

“Oh yes, I would love to get the same sandwich I had yesterday?”

“Sure, is that it?”

Jessica looked around the shop and saw some fresh baked pastries on the side of the counter. She was pointing to them.

“Ah, you made the right choice. That’s the best seller here.”

“Oh? Really?”

“Yup, say I tell you what. I’ll give you two for free as a form of an apology for staring at you today and yesterday.”

Jessica was taken aback but nodded when the girl seemed sincere enough.

“I love your sandwiches by the way.”

Jessica was complimenting the baker. The girl smiled. She packed the sandwich and pastries neatly before passing them over to Jessica.

“Then you should come here often.”

“I think I will. Anyway, my name’s Jessica.”

Jessica warmly stretched her hand out. The girl paused for a second before extended her hand out as well. They had a firm handshake.

“I’m Taeyeon. Pleased to meet you.”

The two girls smiled widely.

*

“You should come over to my shop and try these pasties, okay?”

The girls were squealing when Yoona winked at them. It was just so ironic that Im Yoona had a line of fans – both the females and males. There was just something in Yoona that attracted both es well. She was giving out the free samples again.  And as usual, her fan girls and fan boys were surrounding her.

“Yoona, we will go after class to grab some of these pastries. Make sure you bake enough!”

“Don’t worry. There will be enough for everyone!”

She handed out some pamphlets to the passing crowd.

“Please visit Sweets Secrets!”

She dutifully mentioned the shop name to everyone. Then suddenly a lady appeared in front of her. She took the pamphlet right from Yoona’s hand. Yoona quickly turned to greet her.

“Thank you. Please visit .........”

She was surprised to find a familiar face smiling at her.

“Sweets Secrets?”

The girl completed her sentence instead. 

“Ah, yes.”

“Sure! It sounds fun.”

“Of course it is! Are you new here?”

“I’m a freshman.”

“Ah, so you’re new here. Hope you will enjoy your stay here.”

“I will. Thanks for the pamphlet. I’ll visit later!”

The girl gave Yoona her sweetest eye- smile. Im Yoona’s heart was hooked immediately. The lovesick girl looked on as the beautiful lady slowly disappeared from view.

“Damn it, Tiffany. Do you have to shoot me down with your eye smile?!”

Yoona knew she was in trouble.

*

Jessica was about to close her eyes for a quick nap when she felt a gentle push on her shoulder. She turned quickly; annoyed at first but then soon, there was a wide smile plastered on her face.

“The lecture barely starts and you’re already falling asleep?”

“Shut up. Don’t judge me. I was getting bored.”

“Scoot in for me will you?”

Jessica moved in and Tiffany quickly took the space beside her. Jessica took out something from her bag and put it on Tiffany’s table.

“What’s this?”

“Pastries. I got them for free.”

“Oh?”

Tiffany saw the paper bag – “Sweets Secrets”.

“You got them from the sample girl?”

“What sample girl? No, I went to the shop directly. They have the awesome homemade sandwiches. I bought one yesterday. It was really good. Those were free because the baker was weirdly staring at me yesterday and today too. So she gave them for free as a form of an apology.”

“Ah. Are these good?”

“I haven’t tried it.”

“So can I eat it?”

“Sure, that’s for you anywhere.”

Tiffany smiled and the warmth from inside was oozing out gently. She knew it was just more than just affection. Tiffany knew her heart has fallen for Jessica.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“I’m just being thankful.”

“Silly girl. Those are just pastries.”

“Still, it’s the thought that counts.”

Jessica nodded before Tiffany offered to share the pastries together. They really enjoyed the company of each other.

It was just so blissful like that.

*

Hyori was on the way to her next lecture. She spotted Tiffany and Jessica sitting together.  She smiled widely.

“Hi girls.”

She greeted them warmly.

“Ah! Miss Lee!”

Jessica quickly stood up and greeted her. Tiffany followed suit.

“Are you having lunch?”

“Yeah, we just finished our first lecture.”

“That’s great then. I’ll see you girls later.”

The girls nodded. Then Tiffany smiled. Hyori was taken aback. Tiffany had the same eye-smile as her. But Hyori quickly snapped out from her thoughts. She excused herself and quickly left the girls alone.

She was feeling weird inside. Why her heart feels warm each time she sees the girls? And why does she have the urge to greet them when she normally minds her own business with her own students?

What kind of attraction do these two girls have on her?

“I think I must have gone crazy to feel so many emotions inside. I hardly know them.”

Hyori shrugged her feelings away.

*

Chun Hee was leaning against his chair. The two empty necklace boxes were in front of him. He lifted one of them up and stared at it. How the hell he was going to find the twins with these two miserable clues?

What were so special about the necklaces? He turned it all around; hoping to find something when he saw an insect-like shape at the bottom of the box. There was something written on it. Chun Hee looked closer.

Firefly Necklace – It is a special necklace that will light up when the owner who wears it needed help the most. Once it lights up, the other pair will light up too regardless how far apart the two owners might be.

He muttered softly.

“Firefly Necklace?”

This was just too difficult for Chun Hee to apprehend.

*