Chapter 10

Firefly

“Yonghwa oppa, wake up!”

Jessica was screaming at her brother’s ears. They got closer after the short ordeal. Yonghwa protected Jessica; he even consoled her.

“Get lost.”

Yonghwa pushed her away.

“No, it’s late! We have to wake up now!”

“What’s wrong with you? It’s still early!”

“No, it’s late! And you promised that you’d send me to school today!”

Yonghwa was groaning away. Yunho had to leave earlier because of some important meeting with the investors. And Jessica’s car was at the workshop. So Yonghwa volunteered to drive her to school.

“You’re so noisy.”

“You’re so lazy. Get up! N.O.W!”

Jessica pulled the sleepy Yonghwa out of the bed and shoved him into the bathroom. The guy swore he would kick Jessica if not because of the promise he made to his mother.

“Should I shower you too?”

“NO, GET LOST!”

“Then, you better hurry up! If not, I’ll be late for school!”

“FINE!!”

Yonghwa slammed the door at Jessica’s face. Instead of feeling offended, Jessica broke out into a huge grin. Her elder brother was really cute when he was grouchy.

“Oppa, I’ll wait for you in the kitchen.”

“Yes, yes.”

“See you!”

Jessica left his room and ran down the stairs. Her mother was preparing their breakfast and their father was busy reading the newspapers. Jessica was in a good mood because of Yonghwa.

“Is your brother awake?”

“Yes! I pulled him into the bathroom.”

“Wow, you’re sure aggressive.”

“Daddy, what are you talking about?!”

“Nothing, I was just teasing.”

Jessica stuck her tongue out at her father before pouring herself a cup of coffee. Just then, they heard Yonghwa screaming.

“STUPID KID! GET ME A TOWEL!”

“I’ll get it for him.”

Mrs Jung went up and Jessica was left with her father in the dining room. They were chatting happily when Mr Jung saw the firefly necklace around Jessica’s neck. He knew the significance of the necklace but chose not to indulge on it too much.

“Daddy, what are you looking at?”

“Nothing, I was just staring at you. How did you evolve into a beautiful woman from a scrawny girl?

“Daddy, are you saying I was ugly back then?!”

“No~! How did you derive to that?”

“You said I scrawny girl!”

“You were so thin and small!”

“And ugly!”

“Well, you’re beautiful now. And that’s what matters the most.”

Jessica beamed proudly. She then turned to look at her watch. She was getting late for school and her brother was nowhere to be found.

“I’m going up to pull Yonghwa oppa down. He’s making me late for school!”

Jessica ran up the stairs and stopped outside her brother’s room. She was about to knock when she realized the door was ajar and there were hush voices. Jessica carefully placed her ear at the door.

“Yonghwa, I know you’re doing this because of your promise to me.”

“Omma, Jessica’s a nice girl.”

“You just realized it?”

“Well, she’s still annoying.”

Yonghwa managed a soft smile and Jessica was smiling as well.

“But what made you changed overnight? You used to hate her.”

“Why is everybody saying that?”

“You don’t hate her?”

“No, I don’t hate her. I just find her annoying.”

“So you’re okay with her now?”

“Omma, can I be honest with you?”

“Sure, you can.”

“I feel sorry for her.”

Jessica was taken aback. Why did Yonghwa say that?

“Why?”

“Her family abandoned her. Her grandfather left her with us.”

Jessica’s mouth was wide open. Yonghwa knew about her background!

“Her grandfather didn’t have a choice, Yonghwa. People are constantly threatening to kill him; to kill Jessica’s mother and Jessica’s twin sister.”

“That’s why I feel sorry for her. She was born under such horrible circumstances. And you were saying that her mother had no idea if she was indeed alive or dead, right?”

Mrs Jung nodded.

“If Jessica finds out, she’s going to feel horrible.”

“That’s why I kept reminding you and your brother not to mention about her being adopted. We have made a promise to her grandfather that we would protect and take care of her.”

But it was too late. Jessica stumbled upon the truth. A brutal truth that she wished she didn’t know.

-

“Why aren’t you annoying me?”

Yonghwa was puzzled with Jessica’s sudden silence. She was so annoying this morning. Jessica just shook her head and remained silent.

“Jessica, are you alright?”

Yonghwa seemed concerned and Jessica couldn’t let him know that she has found out.

“I’m just not feeling well.”

“Oh? Are you sick?”

Yonghwa touched her forehead and Jessica broke out into a small grin.

“I never knew how sweet you could get.”

“What?”

“You’ve never showed concern for me before.”

“You don’t want me to?”

Jessica stuck her tongue out. Yonghwa rolled her eyes but nevertheless gently touched the different parts of Jessica’s face and he touched his own forehead.

“You seems fine to me. Your temperature is the same with mine.”

“I’m just tired, Oppa.”

“Okay, you’ve been studying too hard.”

“I don’t even study.”

“Yeah, that’s right. You smart bimbo.”

“What!”

Yonghwa stuck his tongue out and Jessica retaliated by hitting him on his arm.

“Hey, I’m driving here!”

“You started it first!”

“What did I do?!”

“You called me bimbo!”

“You are what!”

“No, I’m not!”

And the two bickered all the way to school.

-

Tiffany was waiting for Jessica at the school porch. Suddenly she saw a red Maserati driving in and then Jessica came out from it. Tiffany was frowning away.

“Bye oppa!”

“You need me to pick you up from school?”

“I’m going home with my girlfriend.”

“Your what?!”

“BYE OPPA!”

“YA~!”

Jessica ran all the way in and then found Tiffany waiting for her. The girlfriend was a little shocked to witness the closeness between Jessica and her brother. He hated her guts the first time she saw him.

“Is everything alright?”

Jessica was quick to embrace Tiffany and kissed her on the lips. Tiffany was already asking.

“Oh? You mean Oppa?”

“Yeah, I thought he hates you?”

“Well, he decided to be nice with me.”

“That’s great.”

Jessica nodded and then hugged Tiffany from her back. She misses her girlfriend since they didn’t see each other yesterday.

“You smell good.”

Tiffany was leaning against Jessica’s chest. She glanced slightly to her side; the girlfriend was resting her chin on her shoulder with a smile on her face and her eyes closed shut.

“Hm, you miss my scent too?”

“Yeah, I miss you so much. I miss everything of you.”

“I miss you too, baby.”

“Have you had breakfast?”

“Yeah, but I feel like eating some pastries.”

“Oh? We’re still early, right?”

Tiffany looked at her watch and nodded.

“Let’s grab something from Taeyeon’s bakery.”

“That’s a good idea.”

The two girls had their hands intertwined and their fingers interlaced with each other. Jessica was in awful good mood and Tiffany loves this new side of Jessica. Jessica kissed her a couple of times; leaving Tiffany with blushing cheeks.

“Can you stop kissing me?”

“No?”

“We’re in school.”

“Everyone knows we’re together.”

“Yes, but we have to respect them too.”

“Fineee, I’ll be a good girlfriend.”

“Aw, you’re pouting.”

“Hmpf.”

Jessica was about to let go of Tiffany’s hand when Tiffany grabbed tighter. She stood in front of Jessica and grinned at her petty girlfriend.

“What?”

Jessica glared at her.

“You’re so cute even you’re mad.”

Jessica’s cheeks were flushing red.

“I love you, Jessica.”

“I love you too, Tiffany.”

Tiffany slowly wrapped her arms around Jessica’s neck and captured the petty girl’s lips. Jessica rested her arms on Tiffany’s waist. They kissed tenderly.

“I thought you hate public display affections?”

Jessica was teasing her girlfriend. But Tiffany outwitted her.

“I prefer to kiss you like this when time seems to stop for the both of us.”

And she kissed Jessica once again.

-

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m helping?”

“You’re doing it wrongly!”

“Taeyeon, you have to chill. You’re seriously gonna grow old before your time.”

“Your cousin’s bad enough. And now with you, my age will triple up.”

“Why am I involved in this?”

“Kwon Yuri is your family.”

“Aren’t we gorgeous?”

“And we have tall genes!”

“Shut up.”

“Where’s the noise coming from?”

“LEE SOON KYU, CAN YOU HANDLE YOUR GIRLFIREND?!”

“STOP CALLING ME THAT! KWON YURI, CAN YOU STOP HOGGING KIM TAEYEON FOR A MOMENT? AM I INVISIBLE?”

Yuri was hiding behind Yoona when Sunny came into the room. Yoona’s cousin, Yuri came to stay with the girls for a couple of days with her long time girlfriend, Sunny. Sunny’s a little feisty despite being small and petite. Kwon Yuri is a little afraid of her.

“I’m here, baby!”

Yuri jumped on her petite girlfriend and quickly enveloped her into a huge hug. Sunny was taken aback at first but calmed down once she was in the comfort of her girlfriend. She gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

Yoona rolled her eyes while Taeyeon sighed. The two girls were out of love and witnessed such a sweet moment caused more wrath than comfort.

“Stop displaying your love snugs here.”

“Oh come on, just because that girl is attached, you shouldn’t give up without a fight!”

Yuri was trying to encourage.

“Her girlfriend is 10 times prettier than I am.”

“Woah, since when Im Yoona lost confidence in herself?”

“Shut up, Yuri.”

Yuri stuck her tongue out and Sunny chided her girlfriend for disturbing. While the girls were busy in the kitchen, they didn’t realize they have guests at the counter. There were two girls; walking hand in hand. They were browsing through the shelves and then pressed the bell. They could hear growls and somebody was arguing over something.

They waited and then Im Yoona popped out of nowhere.

“I swear to God, you’re annoying KWON YURI!”

“OH SHUT UP! YOU’RE SUCH A CHICKEN! YOU’RE NOT MY COUSIN!”

“SHUT UP!”

The two girls were stunned for a second. Yoona’s back was facing them and the girl turned immediately. She was shocked as well.

“Tiffany?”

“Hey, are you busy?”

Yoona’s eyes gazed down at the two hands intertwined with each other. Her heart ached a little but nevertheless put on a smile on her face.

“Nah, I was just having a mini war with some people at the back.”

“Is Taeyeon here?”

Jessica asked.

“Yup, she’s here. I’ll get her.”

Yoona smiled before disappeared behind the kitchen door. Seconds later, Jessica and Tiffany burst out in giggles.

“KIM TAEYEON!”

“WHAT?!”

“YOU HAVE A GUEST!”

“DO YOU HAVE TO SHOUT?!”

“WHAT’S WITH THE RUCKUS?!”

“SHUT UP, KWON YURI!”

Moments later, someone appeared. Kim Taeyeon was grumbling as she made her way out by facing her back against the couple.

“SHUT UP! AND STOP RUNINING MY CAKES!”

She turned and was shocked to find Jessica smiling at her.

“Oh, it’s you.”

“Hi Taeyeon!”

Tiffany was waving and Taeyeon smiled widely.

“You’re here early.”

“Yeah, we decided to head over here before going for classes.”

“Ah, I see. What do you want to eat today?”

“I would like to have some of your pastries.”

“Oh, sure! Be right back. I’ll grab some hot ones from the back.”

Taeyeon disappeared just like how Yoona did and then the couple heard a shrilling scream.

“YA! WHY DID YOU EAT EVERYTHING?!”

“You didn’t say we cannot eat them!”

“It’s meant for our patrons and now it’s all gone!”

“You didn’t bake a lot?”

“KWON YURI! I’M SO GOING TO KILL YOU!”

Jessica and Tiffany were a little stunned. Taeyeon sounded pissed so they quickly ran into the kitchen. Taeyeon was already lunging towards a tall, tanned girl.  Jessica was quick to pounce on Taeyeon and pulled her away.

Yoona was standing at the corner; watching everything with a petite small girl who rolled her eyes a couple of times.

“What’s going on?”

Tiffany could sense the chaotic moments.

“Taeyeon, calm down!”

Jessica was hugging Taeyeon tightly while the tall, tanned girl was having difficulty to get up.

“I told you to stop harassing Taeyeon, didn’t I?”

The other small petite girl went over to the tanned one and pulled her up slowly.

“She’s strong!”

“You’re just weak, Yuri.”

“YA, Im Yoona! I’m your cousin! Why did you just stand there like a fool?”

“I’m enjoying myself.”

“.”

The small petite girl went up to Jessica and Taeyeon. She gently bowed at Jessica and the girl did the same. She patted Taeyeon’s head gently.

“Why are you so upset, Kim Taeyeon?”

“She ate my pastries!”

“She ate the spoilt ones.”

“Are you siding with your girlfriend, Lee Soon Kyu?”

“I’m not but I think you need to calm down. The girl who’s holding you down seemed in a shock to see you like this.”

Taeyeon finally realized there were two other new faces in the kitchen. She looked over her shoulder to find Jessica staring at her with her concerned eyes.

“Je – si – ca?

“Are you okay, Taeyeon? Why are you so angry?”

Taeyeon’s cheeks blushed immediately and Sunny was the first one to notice. Tiffany was standing in front of Yoona with her back facing Jessica and Taeyeon so she didn’t see. Yuri was grinning away.

“Nothing, they are bad people. They tease me all the time.”

Taeyeon was complaining as she pointed to Yuri and Sunny. Yuri stuck her tongue out.

“Oh, but did you have to be so angry?”

“Well, those pastries are meant for you.”

Taeyeon mumbled but Jessica heard it clearly. Yoona slapped her forehead. Taeyeon was being too obvious right now.

“We can always buy other pastries. We’re not so picky.”

“But you love them!”

“It’s okay, Taeyeon. We can always try new stuffs. Tiffany loves your éclairs now.”

Yoona was staring at Tiffany who was giving her eye-smiles to Jessica and nodded her head eagerly. She sighed softly but Yuri caught her. She was widening her eyes and gesturing to Tiffany but Yoona rolled her eyes and put her finger on her lips.

Yuri was gloating away.

“So, you must be Tiffany and you’re Jessica, right?”

Tiffany and Jessica were taken aback at first but Yuri was quick to introduce Sunny and her.

“I’m Yuri, Yoona’s cousin and the other girl there is my girlfriend. She’s Sunny. We came to visit Yoona and Taeyeon to see how their business was doing. They have mentioned a lot about both of you to us.”

“Oh, is it?”

“Yeah, I’m just guessing because Yoona had a wonderful description of Tiffany – you have the perfect eye-smiles.”

Tiffany was surprised and Yoona was about to jump on Yuri really soon but Yuri was undaunted.

“And as for Jessica, you have a prominent jaw-line that can sweep anyone off their feet. That’s how Taeyeon described you.”

Sunny was giggling away as she noticed how tense Taeyeon became.

“Kwon Yuri, how could you easily praise other girls’ beauty in front of me?”

“Oh baby, you should know I only have eyes on you. But I won’t deny Tiffany and Jessica are really beautiful.”

Jessica’s face was really red but she nodded earnestly.

“Taeyeon’s beautiful too. She has gifted hands. Her pastries and sandwiches are always awesome.”

“And Yoona’s playful. She’s always disturbing Taeyeon but I think she’s gorgeous too. We really adore them.”

Taeyeon and Yoona were already blushing mad much to Yuri’s amusement.

“Of course they are. Look at how red their faces are!”

Yuri got her revenge while the two ladies were desperately hiding their faces while the couple was amused.

-

Hyori was watching television when her phone buzzed. She looked at the ID caller and realized Chun Hee was calling. She bit her lower lip and wondered if she should answer. She decided to leave it alone and it went to her voice mail instead.

Chun Hee has been leaving her plenty of voicemails. But Hyori just deleted them without hearing them.  Then a message came in.

“Hyori ah, can we meet please? I have something to tell you. This is important.”

His message seemed sincere and desperate.  She replied him.

“Leave me alone. I don’t need to know. I cannot believe you. You let my father took my girls away.”

“Hyori ah, we were still young. You know how intimidating your father could be back then. Jaesuk hyung was terrified of him.”

“You should have told me!”

“I wanted to tell you but Jaesuk hyung asked me to look for the girls first. I approached your father just few months ago to ask about your daughters. He gave me something that could possibly lead to the girls.”

Hyori stared at the last message. Should she believe in him?  Just then, Jong Kook was at the front door. She quickly replied Chun Hee.

“I’ll call you. Jong Kook’s back.”

She threw the phone into her bag.

-

Mr Hwang was watering the plants when he saw someone stood outside his gate. The man was bulky in size and he was staring at Mr Hwang.

“Yes, can I help you?”

“Are you Hwang Kik Young?”

“Yes, I am.”

The man smiled mysteriously before walking away. Mr Hwang was staring at the back of the man; he felt a little intimidated by the man’s question.

Who is this man? What is he doing here? And what does he want?

Mr Hwang suddenly felt uneasy.

“Tiffany!”

He suddenly rushed into the house before grabbing his wallet. He was certain that man was somehow related to Tiffany. He needed to find his daughter fast.

-

Jung Byung Pin was spending time with his wife. He took some time off from work and went to meet his wife. He was rejoiced to know that his second son was on good terms with his daughter. Mrs Jung was waiting for him at the restaurant.

“Did you wait long?”

“No, I just arrived.”

“How are you feeling today?”

“I’m good. Yonghwa told me he just sent Jessica to school.”

“Yeah, he did. I saw Jessica entering his car this morning. They’re finally on good terms.”

Mrs Jung smiled widely.

“I told Yonghwa the truth about Jessica.”

“Did he take it well?”

“Somehow it softened his heart. He was feeling sorry for Jessica.”

“That’s good. You can relax now. Let’s order something to eat now.”

Mrs Jung nodded eagerly and made her orders. Mr Jung was relieved that his wife was feeling better now. She was worried when Old Lee came to look for them few days ago. 

Their food came but the waiter looked a little weird. He was staring at Mr Jung as he placed the dishes accordingly. Mr Jung looked up and saw his eyes. They were intimidating. Mrs Jung didn’t realize; she was busy ogling at the food.

“Mr Jung?”

The waiter asked.

“Yes?”

“Are you Mr Jung Byung Pin?”

“Yes, do I know you?”

“No, but I heard about you. You’re in the top 100 businessmen in Seoul.”

Mr Jung was taken aback at first but nevertheless gave the waiter a smile. It was true. He was featured in the magazine. Mrs Jung was really proud of him.

“You recognize my husband?”

“Yes, I do, Madam. Now, please enjoy your food.”

The waiter smiled before moving away. Mr Jung was still looking at him; the waiter gave him the chills. And somehow, he looked familiar.

Just then, the restaurant manager came up to them and seemed puzzled to see the food on their table.

“You’ve been served, Sir?”

“Yes, your waiter did.”

“Oh, maybe some other waiter did. We panicked when we couldn’t locate your orders, Sir.”

“What do you mean? One of your waiters came to me. He’s quite a big built.”

“Big built?”

“Yeah, he’s quite muscular.”

“I’m sorry, Sir. We only have two waiters who are rather young and slim built.”

“Oh?”

Mr Jung was alarmed but he didn’t want to make his wife worry.

“Maybe I saw wrongly. But my food is here so you don’t have to worry about it.”

The restaurant manager nodded and walked away.  Mr Jung looked at his phone as he tried to recall the mysterious man.

“Honey, I need to make a call. I’ll go out for awhile.”

Mrs Jung just nodded and he made a call immediately. The call was picked up immediately.

“Yonghwa, where are you now?”

“I’m on the way home. Why, Appa?”

“Can you turn around and pick your sister up from school?”

“Huh? What’s wrong, Appa?”

“I don’t feel good somehow. Some mysterious man approached me and asked me weird questions. I’m afraid Jessica might be in trouble.”

“Okay, I’ll do that now.”

Mr Jung suspected the mysterious man was the same man Old Lee had warned him before.

-

 

 

 

First update of 2015.

My apologies, I have been busy and will be busy from now onwards. I'll try to update periodically. In the meantime, please enjoy this update. :)