Chapter 15

Firefly

Yonghwa sat on the sofa; waiting for Jessica at her school administration office. She has spoken to her parents and informed them the decision to study abroad. Mr and Mrs Jung agreed to it since they wanted the best for Jessica. Mr Jung then urged Yonghwa to register with Jessica; the guy agreed.

So Jessica was back at her local university to withdraw herself from the school. An hour later, Jessica re-appeared and Yonghwa stood on his feet. He knew his sister was feeling heartache about leaving Tiffany behind but she didn’t have a choice.

He went up to her and put his arm around her shoulders.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Where do you want to go now?”

“Let’s go home, Oppa. We need to pack our bags.”

“You’re not going to tell Tiffany that you’re leaving?”

Jessica looked away; and then shook her head. Just then, Taeyeon appeared in front of her. Jessica has informed her about the decision to study abroad.

“Jessica, are you sure about this?”

“Taeyeon, please look after Tiffany for me.”

Jessica gave two letters to Taeyeon. Yonghwa looked on.

“This is for you and Yoona. I’ve explained the reasons why I had to leave Tiffany and also my address in US. This letter is for Tiffany.”

“You want me to update you about Tiffany?”

“Please, if you can.”

“I will, Jessica.”

“Thanks, Taeyeon. Please look after Tiffany for me.”

Jessica’s eyes were watery and red. This was the most painful moment for Jessica but she had to do it. This was for Tiffany’s sake. Yonghwa felt really bad for Jessica. Taeyeon felt heartbroken too. She was unable to see Jessica anymore so Taeyeon asked for an hour of her time.

“Can I have an hour of your time, Jessica?”

Jessica looked on.

“I promise you. I’ll only take one hour of your time.”

“Sure, I guess I can. Oppa, I’ll go home on my own.”

“I’ll send her home later.”

Yonghwa nodded and left the girls alone. Taeyeon then led Jessica to her car and quickly drove off. The pair sat in silence but Taeyeon’s heart was saddened to watch Jessica staring blankly out of the window. She knew Jessica’s heart was slowly torn apart but it drove her crazy that she couldn’t understand Jessica’s doing.

But Taeyeon knew she needed to cheer the girl up before she leaves. So Taeyeon drove her up to a mountain just at the outskirt of town. Once they reached, Taeyeon got out of the car and Jessica followed suit. She looked up and was mesmerized with the neon sky. She managed a smile and Taeyeon was contented.

“I can finally see your smile.”

Taeyeon stood next to her and both looked up into the neon-lighted sky. The sun was setting and it was the most perfect view from where they stood.

“Thanks Taeyeon.”

“You know your smile is the sweetest.”

Jessica giggled.

“Are you flirting with me?”

“Am I allowed to?”

Jessica gave a quick smile before looking away. Taeyeon didn’t say much and looked at the opposite direction. Suddenly Taeyeon could hear a soft sobbing. She turned to look at Jessica.

“Jessica?”

“Am I doing the right thing, Taeyeon?”

“What do you mean?”

“Can I tell you a story, Taeyeon?”

“Sure but aren’t you hungry?”

“Hm?”

“I know of a superb seafood restaurant nearby. Let’s talk over food.”

Taeyeon smiled widely and Jessica felt consoled. She agreed and the pair went to the seafood restaurant. Taeyeon was right. Jessica’s eyes grew larger when she saw the amount of food on the table. She started eating immediately and Taeyeon was delighted to see her smile. There was nothing else she wanted from Jessica but for her to smile radiantly.

The pair ate heartily and Jessica soon had forgotten her sadness. Taeyeon was really good in keeping her company. They ate silently and Taeyeon waited patiently for Jessica to share her story. Jessica smiled when she looked up to find Taeyeon staring at her.

“You’re waiting for my story, right?”

“Well, if you wish to tell.”

“I’m sure you’re a good listener.”

“I’ll listen with all of my heart.”

Jessica nodded and put her chopsticks down. She then wiped while Taeyeon continued to eat the leftovers.

“Do you need beers?”

“Huh?”

“Well, sometimes drinking alcohol will help a lot.”

Jessica smiled and nodded so Taeyeon ordered a couple of beer cans and they were served immediately. They settled down with one can each and Jessica started her story.

“Do you want to know why I’m leaving Tiffany suddenly?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“You love her so much.”

“I do. I still do. I don’t think I can ever get over her but I have to.”

“Why? Why are you so adamant to get over Tiffany?”

Jessica’s eyes turned red and watery. Her heart was aching but she didn’t have much choice.

“She’s my sister, Taeyeon. She’s my twin sister.”

Taeyeon was shocked. Her eyes grew really huge; unable to apprehend Jessica’s words.

“How can that..?”

“How did it happen? We’re long-lost twin sisters. We were given away few hours after we were born. I guess, God wants to pay a trick on us and let us to fall in love with each other despite knowing it’s forbidden.”

Taeyeon was speechless. She couldn’t express any words but she knew the person hurting the most was Jessica.

“Does Tiffany know?”

Jessica shook her head.

“She doesn’t know anything. I implored her father and biological grandfather to keep it a secret from her. I don’t wish to upset her. I don’t want her to get shocked by this truth. That’s why I rather leave her now so that she could get over me. It’s easier like that than to learn that we are twin sisters.”

Taeyeon could feel Jessica’s heart breaking apart. She sacrificed herself for Tiffany’s sake. She doesn’t want to hurt the one she loves so much and carried the burden by herself. She reached out for Jessica and pulled her closer in her embrace.

“You don’t have to carry this burden on your own. You have me now. I’ll stay by your side.”

Jessica looked up; taken aback.

“It hurts me to see you hurting like this. Now that I understand why you’re doing this, you need someone for you to hang on to. You have me, Jessica. I’ll always be here for you.”

Jessica broke down immediately and clung onto Taeyeon tightly. She needed that assurance and Taeyeon ended up being there for her.

-

Meanwhile Tiffany was staring into space most of the time. She couldn’t pay attention during the lectures and Jessica was nowhere to be found. She didn’t turn up for the class. She was almost lifeless and it really hurt her so badly. She misses Jessica like crazy and her heart was aching so much.

After the lecture, Tiffany walked aimlessly out of her lecture hall and bumped into someone. She apologized without looking up but was surprised when that particular person grabbed her arm. She looked up to find Yoona smiling at her.

“Yoona?”

“You’re done with class?”

Tiffany nodded.

“You must be hungry then.”

“I don’t have the mood to eat.”

Yoona frowned and noticed how pale Tiffany’s face was. She put her arms around Tiffany’s shoulders and pulled her into her embrace. She tenderly squeezed her arms that prompted Tiffany to burst into tears.

“I miss her, Yoona. I miss her so much.”

Yoona didn’t say much. She just remained in her stance; embracing Tiffany tightly in her arms. Yoona had already known Jessica’s truth. Taeyeon had informed her beforehand. She urged Yoona to look out for Tiffany as per what Jessica requested.

“You have to look out for Tiffany.”

“What?”

“I’m planning to leave with Jessica to States.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“I’ll send you a letter via your email. You’ll understand. Call me after you have done reading.”

That’s how Yoona knew about Jessica’s reasons for leaving. She felt sorry for both girls and after seeing Tiffany losing her radiance over her broken heart; Yoona decided to take up the responsibility. But she has refrained from telling Tiffany the truth. Jessica urged her not to.

“Yoona, where’s Jessica?”

Tiffany sobbed as she pleaded Yoona for an answer. The girl could only shake her head and then smiled sadly. Tiffany knew Yoona wouldn’t know so she just took comfort of Yoona’s shoulders to cry on.

“Don’t cry, Tiffany. I’m here.”

“Jessica...”

Tiffany kept calling out for the girl’s name. Her heart ached so badly.

-

“Taeyeon?”

“Let me go with you.”

“But you have your bakery business to handle.”

“Yuri and Sunny are taking over for awhile. Yoona’s there too.”

“Are you sure about this?”

Taeyeon smiled widely and nodded.

“I told you. I’m going to be here for you. I’m not letting you go on your own.”

“My brother is coming with me.”

“But you need someone to be by your side all the time. I can study too.”

“You? Study?”

“What? I cannot study?”

“I remember you telling me you hate to study.”

“Well, I’ve spoken to Yoona’s father. He agreed to allow me to continue my studies in management. He supports me and my family is much happier to know that I’m going back to school.”

Jessica was undecided. She felt overwhelmed with Taeyeon’s concern. But Taeyeon was sincere and Jessica could see it clearly written in the latter’s eyes.

“Don’t worry; you’ll need me to cook for you.”

“What?”

“You cannot really cook for nuts, right?”

Jessica rolled her eyes and then slapped Taeyeon’s upper arm.

“How can you know so much about me?”

“You’re predictable.”

“Shut up!”

Taeyeon was amused with Jessica’s playful banter. She could finally see the girl’s smile after awhile. Although it was brief but at least she made Jessica smile.

“You finally smile.”

“I know. You tried hard to cheer me up. I’m grateful for that.”

“That’s why I said you need me there with you.”

“Thank you, Taeyeon.”

Jessica smiled sincerely and Taeyeon was really grateful for that. Meanwhile Yonghwa was busy packing his bags. He knew Taeyeon was coming along but he didn’t really care. His main concern was his sister, Jessica.

Just then, his beloved sister returned home with a smile on her face. He was curious so he approached her.

“What’s with the smile?”

“Nah, Taeyeon cheered me up.”

“Oh, that’s good to know. Taeyeon’s the one joining us, right?”

Jessica nodded. She then looked over her brother’s shoulders and saw the bags scattered around the floor.

“Do you really need to pack so much?”

“I’m afraid you might get cold over there.”

“Oppa, we can buy over there.”

“Oh.”

Yonghwa looked at the bags around him and felt silly about it. Jessica was grinning away but nevertheless put her arms around him.

“Wow, you care a lot about me. Most of the clothes that you have packed are mine. Where are yours?”

He pointed to one lone luggage at the corner of the room.

“That’s all?!”

“I don’t need many clothes.”

“Are you crazy, oppa? You’ll get cold too!”

“You said we can buy them over there.”

“But this is way too much!”

Jessica was ransacking his luggage and made a big fuss. Yonghwa smiled silly to himself. He likes the way Jessica cared about him. It may not be a big deal to her but it was to him.

“Sica ah, just let me protect you this way.”

Yonghwa whispered softly in his heart.

-

Hyori was staring into space. She was at the hospital; waiting outside the emergency room. Chun Hee was with her and he sat beside her. The duo found the Old Man Lee unconscious on the floor of their mansion. Hyori couldn’t control her emotions when she saw her father lying motionless on the floor.

“Appa! Appa!”

There was a trail of blood oozing out from the back of her father’s head that led to a pool of blood next to him. Chun Hee tried to stop the bleeding and called for the ambulance immediately. Hyori sat next to her and held her father’s hand tightly.

“Appa! Hyori’s here! I’m here, Appa!”

She had never felt so vulnerable and devastated before. Seeing her father in such dire state hurt her so much. She knew she has always loved her father but hatred blinded her from expressing her feelings for her.

“Please don’t leave me, Appa. Please don’t do this to me. I know you love me. I know now. I know how much you care for me and my daughters. I’ve wronged about you, Appa. I cannot lose you now, Appa. Please give me a chance to make it up to you.”

Hyori pleaded as she held her father in her arms.

“Appa, I love you. Please, please don’t leave me alone.”

Hyori snapped out of her thoughts when Chun Hee shook her gently. Her eyes were bloodshot red and her heart was sinking into the deepest depths.

“He’s going to be fine, Hyori.”

“I’m a bad daughter. I’m already a bad mother and now I’m a terrible daughter.”

“No, you’re not. Your father has never blamed you for anything.”

“I’m the one who have erred. He has been protecting me all the while. Why didn’t I open up my eyes and take a look at him properly?”

“You grew up in an unforeseen circumstance. The sticky situation didn’t allow you to see his love. He didn’t really express it out to you either. But that doesn’t mean both of you don’t love each other.”

“What if he doesn’t survive, Chun Hee? What am I supposed to do?”

“He will survive. He told me before. He wanted to reunite you with your daughters. He promised that he would put you and your girls back together. I’m sure he won’t break his promise.”

Chun Hee hugged her tightly. He tried to comfort her as much as he could and Hyori felt grateful.

“Thanks, Chun Hee. You’ve always been there for me.”

-

Tiffany was emotionless. She refused to eat and just sat in silence. Her room light was off and she practically ignored her dog, Prince. Her parents were worried.

“Dear, is she going to be okay?”

Mrs Hwang was intensely worried for her daughter.

“This is a huge setback for her.”

“Why don’t we tell her the truth?”

“Miss Jung implored us not to.”

“But this is too cruel for Tiffany to endure. She’s going to break soon if we don’t do anything.”

Mr Hwang was halved too. He had promised Jessica that he wouldn’t indulge the truth but watching his daughter losing herself was even more torturous for him. Fortunately for the couple, Yoona came to visit Tiffany that night.

“Hi, I’m Yoona.”

“Yes, I remember you. You’re Tiffany’s friend, right?”

Yoona nodded.

“Yes, I am. Is she here?”

“She’s cooping herself up in the room, Yoona. She refuses to eat. She’s even ignoring Prince. Look at the poor fellow.”

Prince was whining just outside of Tiffany’s room. Yoona sighed and picked Prince up. She cuddled the little puppy in her arms before speaking up.

“I know the truth. Jessica has explained it to me.”

Mr Hwang was surprised.

“She urged me to look out for Tiffany.”

“Is Miss Jung alright?”

Yoona cautiously looked at Tiffany’s door room before signalling Tiffany’s parents to join her in the kitchen. She told them everything and what Jessica had planned to do.

“Miss Jung is really going to carry this burden by herself?”

“She doesn’t want to put Tiffany through confusion and even more pain if she knows the truth.”

“But...”

“Mrs Hwang, I have promised Jessica that I would look after Tiffany. If you allow me to do that, I promise I’ll heal Tiffany with the best I could.”

Yoona was determined and Mr Hwang agreed.

“I’ll take Tiffany with me. She needs a new environment. The school break is just around the corner. Let me take her to a short trip, if you allow.”

“That’s a good idea.”

“Don’t force her too much. She probably needs encouragement from us to get over this heartbreak. She might end up hating Jessica but let’s try to help Jessica as much as we can. The one who’s hurting the most is Jessica right now.”

Mr Hwang agreed with Yoona’s sentiments. Mrs Hwang didn’t have much to say. It was just an unfortunate incident for the twins.

-

“Jessica, I know you’re running away.”

Mrs Jung was in Jessica’s room.

“I know you don’t have much choice and I’m not going to say anything more.”

Mrs Jung has always been that gentle and benevolent towards Jessica. She pulled her favourite child closer to her and hugged the poor girl tightly.

“I’m sorry that you have to suffer like this. I’m sorry I wasn’t being truthful about your true family background. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“No, Omma. You didn’t hurt me. Daddy and you have given me more than anything else. You love me unconditionally and I have nothing else to complain about. I’m grateful that you have raised me and given me all the things I need. I cannot be ungrateful for that matter and I cannot blame you for this. This is just one unfortunate incident.”

“Jessica, you know Omma loves you. I love you so much, Jessica.”

Jessica smiled warmly.

“I know. I’m thankful for you, Omma. You’ll always be my loving and caring mother in my life. And I will never forsake you.”

“I’m glad to hear that. This family will always welcome you. You’ll always be my daughter.”

Jessica nodded.

“You take care of yourself, okay? Daddy has suggested that we’ll visit you every year.”

Jessica smiled and nodded.

“Make sure you do.”

-

Tiffany stared at her phone. She was reading Jessica’s past messages. Tears wouldn’t stop falling and her heart was bleeding so much. She loves Jessica sincerely. She has never been so in love with one person before and Jessica was her first in everything.

She blamed herself for their break-up. Her father found out about them and Jessica was blamed for everything. Her eyes were bloodshot red.

Suddenly her phone rang and it was some unknown number. She was reluctant to answer but nevertheless she did. Her heart was beating rapidly when she heard the familiar hello on the other line.

“Tiffany?”

Tiffany held her breath to hold back her tears. The voice was alluring and soothing enough to cure her aching heart. She never dreamt that the person she yeaned for would call her.

“Are you crying?”

“No.”

“Don’t lie. I can hear you.”

“Jessica..”

“Please don’t cry.”

“How can I not when I know I’m going to lose you?”

There was a pause on the other line before Jessica spoke up again.

“I’m sorry.”

“No, please don’t be.”

“I’m really sorry that we have to end this.”

“Do we really have to give our relationship up just like that?”

“You know its wrong right from the very beginning.”

“But I love you.”

“I love you too but this is not meant to be.”

“Can you forget about me, Jessica?”

Tiffany could hear a soft sob on the other line. She knew Jessica was tearing up. She was already brawling her heart out.

“I don’t think I could but you know we have to. We’re not meant to be, Tiffany. We were wrong from the very beginning. Let’s not prolong this mistake that we had done. Your parents love you especially your father.”

“I know.. I know he does.”

“You’ll get through this and you’ll get over me.”

“How do you know I will?”

“I’m leaving, Tiffany.”

Tiffany’s heart sank.

“I’ve left the university and decided to move away from here. You won’t hear from me anymore and this is my last call to you.”

Tiffany closed her eyes. Jessica was slowly turning cold towards her and she knew it was just a facade. She knew Jessica was acting strong so that she could move on.

“I just want you to know that I don’t have any regrets about us. But this is our last goodbye. Move on from me, Tiffany. Live happily, at least.”

“I understand.”

“Please don’t hang on to our love anymore, Tiffany.”

“I’ll try my best not to.”

“Take good care of yourself, Tiffany.”

“You too, Jessica.”

“Goodbye.”

“Goodbye to you too.”

-

Jessica threw her phone aside and cried her heart out. It was so difficult to act nonchalant when she was pining for Tiffany the whole time. Tiffany’s her younger twin sister. She felt irked that she had this desire thought towards her own flesh and blood sister.

“I’m sorry, Tiffany. I’m really sorry. I’ll come back one day and I hope by then, you’ll understand why I did this.”

-

Tiffany threw herself under the blanket. There were no more tears left for her to cry. Jessica had left. It was over. There was no way she could meet Jessica again.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. I’m really sorry for putting you through this. I hope you’ll find someone better than me. And I hope she will love you more than I did.”

-

Two forbidden lovers; plentiful of regrets but there was nothing they could do. Hopefully time could heal all their wounds one day.

-