Chapter 4

Firefly

Yoona was at the cafe; mending the counter. There were a lot of students who came over once their lectures ended. Some wanted a quick bite but most were there to see Yoona. Taeyeon just rolled her eyes and went back into the kitchen. She preferred that corner of the cafeteria where she could put her ideas into recipes. Her sandwiches were well received but many of them adore her pastries.

“Taeyeon ah, we need more pastries!”

Yoona was screaming from the counter.

“Okay!”

Taeyeon was quick with her movements. She took out the trays of freshly baked pastries and placed them beside Yoona.

“Okay guys, here we go.”

Yoona was experienced in packing the pastries quickly. The two best friends’ business soared so much since they decided to work together. Taeyeon came from a poor family so she didn’t continue her studies to the college after high school. Yoona, on the other hand, was born with a silver spoon. Her parents were the one who took out the capital for the cafe. It had been worthwhile. Taeyeon was determined to earn at least 80% more than the original capital. Yoona’s parents were impressed with her.

The pastries were out quickly. Yoona looked up at the time. Most of them would be returning to their lectures and tutorials soon. She was looking forward to take a short break. The last student bought the last batches of pastries and they were officially out of stock for the moment. Taeyeon went back in to bake for the second batch.

“Oh my god, this is so tiring!”

She stretched her arms out.

“You should give a pat on your back. We have exceeded our sales today.”

“Ah, that’s great. By the way, Dad was asking if we want to set up a franchise somewhere.”

Taeyeon came out from the kitchen.

“Franchise?”

“Yeah, someone offered to buy our franchise and use our shop’s name to sell it somewhere else.”

“Sweet Secrets has only one baker. How are they going to sell the same authenticate pastries and sandwiches?”

“I knew you would say that. That’s what I told Dad too. He said Taeyeon has a good mind of a business woman. I’m just good with marketing.”

“I’m happy enough to stay here in this shop.”

“I know you will.  Honestly, I feel the same way too. I would love to stay here just as long as you’re doing it with me.”

The two best friends did their high-fives and quickly went back to their own stuff. Yoona was in charge of the marketing and accounts as well. She was about to take out her calculator when the bell rang. Someone was here.

“Hi, Welcome to Sweet Secrets!”

Yoona looked up with a smile. The girl greeted with a nod. She’s beautiful.

“Can I help you?”

“Um, I’m actually here for Taeyeon?”

“Taeyeon?”

Suddenly Taeyeon appeared with two paper bags in her hands.

“Jessica! You’re here!”

“Ah, hey I’m sorry! I had to call you in advance. I couldn’t get out of class and I was afraid that I might not able to get your pastries and sandwiches.”

“It’s not a problem. I’m just glad you came back for my sandwiches.”

“They are awesome! And my friend loves your pastries too!”

Yoona’s eyes darted from Jessica and then back to Taeyeon. She was narrowing her eyes at her best friend. That sneaky girl has never mentioned about this Jessica. She nudged her friend at her ribcage.

“Ow.”

Taeyeon glared at her.

“Aren’t you rude not to introduce us?”

Jessica giggled softly and took the initiative to introduce herself.

“Hi, I’m Jessica.”

“Wow, you look really pretty. I’m Yoona.”

“So you’re the one who ran off while Taeyeon would be busy in the kitchen?”

“Has she been complaining to you? Wait, are you her best friend too?!”

“Im Yoona! She’s our regular customer!”

“Really? I’ve never seen her before.”

“You ran off each time she came over. I was the one who attended to her.”

“Ah, I see. Hey, I didn’t run off! I was giving out samples!”

“Do you want to argue with me now, Im Yoona?”

“You were the one who started it!”

Jessica looked on with a giggle. Taeyeon was really cute and her business partner was equally adorable. But she had to stop them somehow. They looked like they might give a go at each other.

“Erm, how much are the pastries and sandwiches?”

Jessica interrupted them.

“Oh, that would be alright.”

Taeyeon refused to take the money. Yoona just looked on.

“Huh? That won’t do. Come on, I won’t return if you don’t take my money.”

“Wow, feisty! $2.50 will do.”

“Huh? Serious? That cheap?”

“Well, taking into consideration that you’re one beautiful girl, I would just charge half of the price.”

Yoona was flirting much to Taeyeon’s chagrin. Taeyeon could never do that.

“Haha, you’re one sweet talker, aren’t you?”

Jessica was smiling too much. Taeyeon had to interfere.

“It’s okay, Jessica. It’s on the house. Just bring us more customers will do. That’ll be a great help.”

“Are you sure, Taeyeon?”

Yoona returned the money back to Jessica.

“I’m sure she’s pretty certain of what she’s doing.”

Taeyeon’s cheeks turned really red.

*

“So, who is this Jessica?”

Yoona was not done with Taeyeon just as yet. The girl didn’t mention the name “JESSICA” to her before.

“She’s our customer.”

“I haven’t seen her before.”

“You were busy flirting with some other girls.”

“Are you jealous of my flirtatious ways that you hooked yourself with another pretty girl?”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“I think she’s a freshman.”

“Ah, she’s a real beauty.”

Taeyeon sighed.

“Yoona, are you my best friend?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Can you not hit on her?”

Yoona was stunned.

*

“YOU LIKE HER?!”

“YES! OW! LET GO!”

Yoona jumped on Taeyeon as soon as she recovered from her shock. It has been years since Taeyeon was actually interested in anyone. The last one broke her heart. And Yoona stood by her side ever since.

“Oh my god, this is really huge!”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Kim Taeyeon, it has been 5 years since you actually take interest in someone!”

Taeyeon nodded. The last girl broke her heart into million pieces. Taeyeon was terrified of love ever since. The pain was excruciating and she wouldn’t want to go through that again. But Jessica was different.

She took Taeyeon by storm.

“But this is just an infatuation. I mean she’s really beautiful.”

“So was it love at a first sight?”

“Yes, I guess so.”

“HAH! Then it’s the same as mine!”

Taeyeon was deadpan.

“You mean your imaginary Tiffany girl?”

“I TOLD YOU SHE’S FOR REAL!”

“SHOW ME THEN!”

“I WILL SHOW YOU!”

“SHOW ME NOW!”

“HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?”

The dorks were at it again.

*

Tiffany was reading her notes at the study corner when someone appeared with a brown paper bag. She looked up and a smile pursued on her lips.

“Where did you go? I was waiting for you.”

“I went to get you these. You said you love them.”

Tiffany looked into the paper bag – the same pastries this morning.

“You went to buy them?”

“Yeah, you seemed like you didn’t get enough of these pastries this morning.”

Tiffany’s heart was beating rapidly. It was things like these that made Tiffany’s heart grow fonder of Jessica.

“Thanks, Jessica.”

“It’s my pleasure.”

Jessica grinned before turning back to her sandwiches. Tiffany looked on with a smile. She knew she was falling in love. She was falling in love with Jessica Jung. She was gazing lovingly at Jessica when the girl suddenly turned to meet her eyes.

Tiffany was stumped when Jessica suddenly grinned widely. It caused the adrenalin of her blood rushing to her brain; she felt like fainting but she held on strongly.

“What is it?”

Tiffany tried to appear calm.

“I was just wondering.”

Jessica bit her lower lip.

“Wondering about..?”

Tiffany was waiting for Jessica’s reply.  The other girl was staring at her. Tiffany thought she could die if Jessica continued to do this.

“Jessica, what’s wrong? Why are you staring at me like that?”

Jessica kept still with her eyes still on Tiffany.

*

Jessica knew she was in trouble. Her heart was taken. This morning, Tiffany made her realized why she was always eager to meet Tiffany. She was trying to catch up with the lecturer and tried hard to focus on the screen. She was practically scribbling all over her notes. Jessica was stressed out.

Suddenly a pair of hands was carefully placed on her shoulders. Someone was kneading the tight muscles gently. She turned to find Tiffany was the culprit.

“What are you doing?”

“You look stress and tired.”

“And..?”

“I thought a massage would make you feel slightly better.”

Suddenly Tiffany changed her position. She stood in front of Jessica. Jessica’s face was close to Tiffany’s chest that prompted Jessica to look up. The other girl was smiling at her.

Jessica’s heart skipped a beat and her face reddened. She felt something in her heart. It made her shy each time Tiffany looked into her eyes.

And now she was sitting face to face with Tiffany. Her eyes were glued to hers and her heart was about to burst. The adrenaline pumping of her heart caused the blood to gush up to her brain once again. Jessica knew her face was red. Tiffany was blushing too.

“Jessica, you’re scaring me. Is everything alright?”

“Tiffany, have you been in love?”

Tiffany blushed immediately.

“Yeah, why did you ask?”

“I....”

Jessica hesitated. She didn’t know what she should do when her brain urged her to capture Tiffany’s promiscuous lips. She swallowed hard.

“What is it, Sica?”

The gentle touch of Tiffany’s hand on her cheek warmed her body immediately.  Jessica could feel the warmth slowly seeding downwards. She was shivering in Tiffany’s touch. The other girl was watching her intently. She knew that feeling. She had that too. It made her trembled so hard and before she knew it, Tiffany was the one closing in.

“Tiffany?”

“Shh.”

“Huh?”

Get her!

Tiffany’s heart was screaming at her. And then she did. She softly grazed her lips against Jessica’s and the latter froze immediately. But then the kiss slowly burned both girls in the process; gently easing and out; their bodies jerked every now and then with their lips fully intact with one another.

Tiffany got bolder and nibbled Jessica’s lower lip; asking for entrance which Jessica gladly granted her wish. They kissed for the longest time; God knows how long. Jessica was out of breath by the time she pulled herself away.

They just looked at each other; staring deep into each other gazes.

“What was that?”

Jessica finally asked in her soft gentle voice.

“I don’t know. I just had to kiss you.”

Tiffany was flushing red.

“Gosh, I was fighting with my inner self; contemplating whether I should kiss you or not and there you are; crashing your lips onto me.”

“Aww, I’ll take full responsibility for that.”

“You have to anyway.”

“Why?”

Jessica’s eyes sparkled brightly.

“You stole my first kiss.”

That prompted Tiffany to kiss her yet again.

*

Chun Hee had gone to a couple of jewellery shops and antique boutiques that specialize in necklaces but none could give him satisfying answers on the Firefly Necklace. They said they have heard of them before but never seen them.

“I heard there was only one man who had these necklaces. They are one of a kind and you could never see any replica of them in the market. The man who got them made was specific on the designs and colours.”

“Is that man known as Mr Lee?”

“They call him No Mercy Lee.”

Chun Hee was right. It was the old man who designed them.

“Do you know why the necklaces will light up when the owner is in trouble?”

“It is designed with real fireflies. They will spark off light when they feel unsafe. I think No Mercy Lee designed them for a reason.”

And Chun Hee knew the reason why. Old Lee just wanted to protect his granddaughters like how much he wanted to protect Hyori from harm. Chun Hee has never had a bad impression of him and in fact, he was more impressed with the old man’s thoughts.

He must be terrified that old rival gangs might want to seek revenge on him and harm his daughter and granddaughters instead. He finally knew why Old Lee gave the girls away.

“Hyori must know her father’s intentions. She must understand him!”

Chun Hee decided to be honest with her. But before he could do anything, a car came and knocked him over. And before he passed out, Chun Hee could only see a blur image of a man staring at him. Unfortunately Chun Hee couldn’t see clearly and things went dark.

Chun Hee passed out from his injuries.

*

Taeyeon was busy in the kitchen when she heard the door bell rang at the front door. A customer was outside. She was about to scream for Yoona when she realized that the girl was outside; doing her usual marketing. She wiped the flour off from her apron and went out.

“Hi!”

She greeted the customer cheerfully.

“Taeyeon!”

“Jessica!”

Taeyeon was delighted to meet her again. But she was quick to glance down. Jessica was holding someone’s hand.

“I’m here to buy more of your sandwiches. My girlfriend loves them.”

Who was she kidding? Such a pretty girl like Jessica would have someone by her side.

“Oh, that’s great.”

“Fany ah, come over here. I want to introduce you to the owner of this pastry shop.”

“Okay.”

Taeyeon turned and she felt small. The girlfriend is really pretty.

“Taeyeon, this is my girlfriend, Fany. Fany this is Taeyeon.”

“Oh, you’re the owner of Sweet Secrets?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Oh.”

“Why, Fany?”

“I thought the person who gave out the pamphlet is the owner.”

“Oh, you mean Yoona?”

“Is she the tall girl?”

“Yeah, she’s freaking tall.”

“Ah, then that’s right.”

“She’s the co-owner. We both set up this shop together.”

“Ah, awesome. You girls are really young!”

“We hate to study. So we thought we should just start earlier than our peers to earn for a living.”

Jessica smiled widely.

“Well, you’re doing great. You’re the best sandwich maker I’ve ever met.”

Taeyeon was gloating away. Tiffany decided to be playful. She was out to new girlfriend. She just loves doing that knowing Jessica’s easily annoyed.

“Wow, you’re singing praises of another girl in front of me.”

“Well, can you cook, darling?”

“Erm, no?”

“There, I don’t need to go further, right?”

“Well, I can still get jealous. Technically, you’re still my girl.”

“Aw, my baby’s jealous.”

Taeyeon was watching the two girls flirting away in front of her. She narrowed her eyes at the couple who was completely oblivious to her presence. She cleared .

“Ahem!”

“Oops, I forgot we got company.”

Jessica was apologetic towards Taeyeon. The girl bought the sandwiches before pulling Tiffany out of the shop. They were technically still arguing. Tiffany wouldn’t let it die.

“You can only look at me, Jessica Jung.”

“I am, sweetie.”

“No, you’re not. You’re still smiling at Taeyeon!”

“That’s out of courtesy!”

“Aw, you’re mad.”

“Geez, you’re the death of me, Tiffany Hwang!”

“I warned you before. I can get playful!”

“Yes, yes, now please. Move. We’re late for class because of these senseless arguments.”

“Honey, these are just spices to add on to our lovelife.”

“Well, I’m looking forward now.”

“Aww, you’re sarcastic.”

Taeyeon could hear Tiffany’s voice. She was rather loud. The midget just sighed loudly. Jessica appeared annoyed but Taeyeon could see she was enjoying that playful banter between her and her girlfriend.

“Looks like I’ve lost my chance.”

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders as she turned back to the kitchen.

*

“Noona!”

“Hi Baekhyun!”

“Do you still have free samples for me?”

“Of course I do! But you have to come over to my shop!”

“Hah! That’s how you gonna con me to buy all of your pastries?”

“Baekie, you know you’re the best for me.”

“If not because you’re my step sister, I won’t bother.”

“Oh come on, bring your friends along.”

“Am I part of your marketing ruse now?”

“You’re the cutest flower boy on campus.”

“Go on, you’re making me feel extremely good about myself.”

“It’ll get better if you could bring a few friends. I’ll pay you.”

Baekhyun was listening. The two step siblings were always doing this; bribing each other for something they wanted the other party to do.

“What’s the cut?”

“A dollar for every friend who comes and buys at least $5 worth of pastries.”

“$5?!”

“Do you want the stakes to be higher?”

“Fine. Deal. You’re on. I’ll see you at your pastry shop. I’m gonna make you pay me big time, Noona!”

“Welcome to Sweet Secrets, my baby brother!”

“I’M NOT YOUR BABY BROTHER!”

“OH COME ON! YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MY BABY BROTHER!”

Yoona was screaming at the top of her lungs while Baekhyun just stared her down. The older sister stuck her tongue out as her baby step brother just turned around and walked away.

“Do you always flirt with people like that?”

Yoona turned suddenly to find that same familiar girl who caught her heart walking towards her.

“Huh?”

“I saw what you did to that young man over there. Wow, you’re seriously a flirt, aren’t you?”

Yoona was unperturbed. She was not even offended. She just gave her a cheeky grin.

“I’m not Im Yoona if I don’t flirt.”

“Ah, so you’re famous here?”

“Well, not really. Although I’ve always suspecting that I am.”

The girl laughed heartily. Yoona’s hands were sweaty. She wasn’t too sure if she should put out her hand for a handshake. She just stood there; motionless.

“I’m Tiffany.”

I already know that.

“Oh, that’s a nice name.”

“And you must be Yoona.”

“How did...you..know?”

“Well, first of all, like you’ve said, you’re really popular with the girls too. They have always mentioned your name and your good friend confirmed it for me.”

“My good friend?”

“Taeyeon-shi.”

“AH! You went to our shop?”

“Yeah, my girlfriend dragged me there.”

GIRLFRIEND?!

Yoona’s eyes grew larger.

When did you have a girlfriend? Who am I kidding? You’re so beautiful, of course you can have a girlfriend!

“Yoona?”

“Eh?”

“Are you alright? You spaced out for the last 5 minutes.”

“Oh, nothing. I guess I must have been tired.”

“You sure you’re alright?”

Tiffany’s face was full of concern. Yoona nodded her head to appease her.

“Ok, I have to go now. My girlfriend’s waiting. I’ll see you around.”

Yoona waved slowly as Tiffany eventually disappeared from view. She pouted her lips and then sighed out loudly.

“Im Yoona, you’re such a fool for falling in love with a Queen while you’re just a Commoner. Get a life, will you?”

Yoona chided herself.

*

Hyori was busy at her office; preparing herself for tomorrow’s lecture. Suddenly her phone rang. Hyori picked it up and saw the name on the id caller. She smiled to herself.

“Hello, Omoni.”

“Hyori ah...”

The lady was crying on the phone.

“Wae? What happened?”

Hyori finally pulled her attention away from the notes.

“Hyoyri ah, something bad has happened.”

“What is it, Omoni?”

“Chun Hee is in critical condition. He got hit by a car!”

Hyori was stunned.

*