II

Just A Dream

Just two hours after me and Bon-Hwa’s graduation from the Seoul National I had received a call from the hospital telling me that a gas truck had collided with my parents’ car and exploded. They had died. The night that Bon-Hwa and I were supposed to be out celebrating our escape from school was spent at home with him and his parents and I crying at home about my parents. I could not see them until tomorrow because the morgue was closed for the day so I just sat there in my room alone, contemplating on killing myself.
I shouldn’t have ever left. I should’ve been with them in the car when they had collided with the truck.
Just as I was about to head to the bathroom to end my miserable life, Bon-Hwa came in to try and console me. At first we just stood there staring at each other until I just couldn’t take it anymore. I ran into his arms and broke down crying.


“Come on Ai, you know that I hate to see you cry. Please stop for me, I can’t take it. If you cry- I cry.”


“I can’t oppa, I just can’t. I hate myself for ever leaving them now. I should’ve been there with them when they died so that I could’ve died with them too. It’s a sin for me to still be alive.” I said as I cried into his shirt.


“Stop, no. Ai don’t you dare say that. You definitely deserve to live. The reason why your parents died was because God thought that it was their time; their time to look over their beautiful daughter. He decided that it was their time to be your guardian angels. So anytime you think that you should be dead as well just remember this; your parents are there looking after you from Heaven and they would never ever want to see you die before your time or get hurt in any way. Just remember that even though they’re dead, they still love you and so do my parents and so do I; I love Lu Ai. I always have and always will. Do you love me? ” he said hugging me even tighter. I couldn’t believe that. He’s loved me since forever, “Ai, please answer me. Do you love me? Please don’t say no and break my heart like all those other girls have.”

Basically speechless as to what he said, I replied “Of course I love you Bon-Hwa. Ever since I first met you, I’ve loved you and I promise to never ever break your heart because you’re too special to me and I don’t ever want to see you break. I don’t ever want to see you crying because out of everyone in my life, you’re the strongest person I know and you can count on me to keep that promise close to my heart and to never let it go. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

We stayed there in my room until it was time for dinner. The next day we went to go and prepare the funeral arrangements for my parents.


I really wish that they could’ve been at my graduation and I still feel responsible for their death because they were on their way to the ceremony when they died, but as Joshua said, I now have two very wonderful, very caring guardian angels looking down on me. 


I had inherited their fortune but I’ll only be able to get it after the funeral. They weren’t wealthy but they had left me enough to get by on my own, but of course I was never alone. I had Bon-Hwa and his parents to help me move on.