Chapter Four

Just A Dream

We stayed together watching Hello Counsellor Eventually they all left and I was at home...alone...again. So I decided to look around the house to make sure I don’t break my face from tripping over everything. While I was checking out the bedroom I heard the door open and I heard Jongdae’s voice so I ran downstairs to see if he brought back anything to eat, but before I was even halfway down the stairs, I was pulled into a hug. 

I laughed a bit

“Yes, I missed you too, now come on I've got something very important to ask you.”


I dragged him into the kitchen and sat him down on a chair. He looked really concerned about what I was going to ask and I had to try really had not to laugh because it was a really stupid question.

I leaned forward and looked him dead in the eye and said in the most serious voice ever, “Did you bring me back anything to eat?”


He face-palmed so hard that I swear he almost fell off the chair.
 

“Are you serious?” he asked me. I nodded my head “No, I didn't bring you anything to eat...sorry.”


“Sorry?! Is that all you can say?! I'm starving!

Jongdae just sat there chucking at me for getting so excited over food.

“Come on,” I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him toward the front door, “We are going to get some take-out.”


When we got to the car door I stopped and he turned to look at me and said, “Well? Aren't you going to get in and start driving?”


“Um...no...I don’t remember where any take-out places are...” I said sheepishly


“Well, I thought you did since you practically dragged me out of the house and ran to the car.” He said smiling.


“Just get in the car and drive us to the nearest take-out place.”


“Jeez, chill. You can’t be that hungry.”


“Dude, I'm literally dying of hunger.” I said dramatically


“Same old Mei, always putting food before everything else.”


“Nope...sleep comes first.” I said grinning.


*In the car*


“Why is this food place so far away?” I was complaining about it for the past ten minutes and I could tell that he was getting a bit annoyed so I decided to talk about something else.


“How was the trip to your parents’ house?”
“It was fine. They were really worried about you though, especially my grandma, you know she’s always loved you like if you were her own child, after all, she never had any daughters of her own.”


“Hmm...Well I want to go and visit her soon.” He turned to me and smiled.


“Sure, I’ll carry you to visit her.”


Silence fell upon us again and soon we got to the take-out place and he went in and bought us some. When he came back in the car he handed me my food (which I started to eat as soon as I got it open).

While I was there stuffing my face, he said, “Your sister called, she said that she and her best friend are coming down for your parents’ funeral. She said that she’ll take care of everything for it.”


“Wait, wait, wait. Hold up. I have a sister?”


“Yeah an older sister, don’t you remember her...oh wait I forgot...you never really knew her and you’re memory is hazy right now.”


“What do you mean?” I asked curiously.


“Well, you told me this story a long time ago... Before you were born, your parents had a daughter named Liu and your parents didn't really like her or approve of what she wanted to be-“


“What did she want to be?”


“An artist, but your parents wanted her to be a lawyer or a doctor, anyway, while your mom was pregnant with you, your sister got in a fight with your parents before she went to college and they kicked her out because they didn't really want her influencing you to do the same as her, so you grew thinking you were an only child but you didn't like living with your parents because you wanted to work in a museum but they wanted you to become a doctor or a lawyer, but one day while you were coming home from school, you ran into this lady and when you went to apologize to her she asked you if you were Zheng Meili because she was looking for you to tell you the truth...and yeah...that’s about it...”


“Wow, now I really want to meet her again. Does she know that I lost my memory?”


“Yeah, I made sure to tell her so that she wouldn’t feel hurt or anything in case you didn't remember her.”


By the time we got home I was already finished. It was getting late so we decided that we should go to bed early since we have to pick up my sister and her friend early tomorrow morning. Jongdae offered to let me have the whole bed to myself in case I wasn't comfortable sleeping with him yet but when I asked him where he was going to sleep and he said the couch, I refused to let him anywhere else but our bed...after all we are going to get married soon. I drifted off to sleep thinking about tomorrow.
I wonder what’s my sister like...is she crazy, funny, quiet, or really, really shy? Hmm...I guess I’ll just have to wait ‘til tomorrow to find out.