I

Just A Dream

I was running an open field trying to get away from my pursuer but it was too late…He got me and we tumbled to the ground but instead of screaming and crying I was laughing. My best friend had just caught up with me and we were rolling around on the ground getting dirt on our clothes.

“I told you that I would catch you Lu Ai.” Bon-Hwa said, smiling.

“You didn’t catch me,” I retorted, “I just tripped and fell and you fell on top of me, duh.”

“Haha. You really are something else, you know that right?”

“Yeah, I know.” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

We laid there staring up at the sky until it had faded to dusk.

“We should probably be going back Ai."

“No, I wanna stay here longer; all night maybe.” I said, looking for constellations in the sky.

 Bon-Hwa sighed next to me, “Ai, what do you have on your mind?”

“Nothing.” I replied, not even glancing at him.

He rolled over and looked at me dead in the eye, “Don’t lie to me. I’m your best friend, I know when something is up so just tell me what’s up. What? Don’t you trust me?”

“Of course I trust you. It’s just that… they don’t understand me at home. I feel like if I’m not supposed to be there.”

“What do you mean?” Bon-Hwa asked.

“What I mean is I feel like if nothing is real, like if this is all just a dream and whenever I tell them that they look at me like if I’m crazy and say that they need to send me to a therapist.” I said, sobbing, and then I broke down crying.

“Ai, don’t cry, you know that I hate to see you cry.”

I sniffled and wiped my nose, “I know but I just really don’t want to go back there. I love them and all but I just hate it there. I want to come and live with you and your family.”

Bon-Hwa laughed, “You know that they would really like that. I think that they love you more than they love me.”

I choked out a laugh, “Yeah, that’s totally true.”

Bon-Hwa stood up, pulling me along with him and said “Come on, you can live with us, I’m sure my parents would love you being there and I’ll even ask your family if you can live with us from now and if they say no, then you'll just leave with me and we'll run away from here together.”

I smiled and said “Yeah, I’d like that a lot. Let’s go and ask them that now.”

We walked back to the car and drove to my parents’ house to tell them our idea. They said yes, thank goodness. Then we drove back to Bon-Hwa’s place. His parents were a bit angry with him for not calling and telling them about it first but they said that it was okay because it was me and I’m his best friend and that he’s just looking out for me and that I would do the same for him.