Second Fall

Of Shattered Dreams and Broken Wings

CHAPTER 2

 

Alexandria.

The place where he was born was actually a walled-kingdom divided into twelve districts. The palace, more known as Capitol, is located in the middle. There, people are said to be the noblest of all nobles and the richest of all the rich. It is also believed to be the place where ordinary people and badge holders like them, live peacefully. If it is true, he doesn’t know. He hasn’t given a chance to see what the palace looks like or how the king and queen are. Surrounding the Capitol is a 25 meter tall solid brick wall known to outsiders as Wall Niche. He doesn’t know why it was built there but to them, outsiders, it serves as a grim reminder of the obvious gap between them and the Capitol inhabitants. Everytime they look up in the sky, the wall will over loom to them in mockery.

Outside Wall Niche lies the first four districts of Alexandria; Silas, Calip, Maria, and Rasta. Although not as fortunate as the living of Capitol, the first four receives enough abundance, for the people living in these districts have decent jobs provided by the Capitol itself. People who have been there said that most inhabitants are either soldier or workers in the palace. Still it is enough for people not living within those districts to be envied by the kind of life they have. And as cruel reminder of it, another wall separates the four districts from outsiders. The wall is known as Wall Varia.

The next four districts located outside Wall Varia are Celes, Nato, Ruga and Ortensia. Most of the people here are jobless but they are given vast lands and forestation to ploy and exploit. “The Greeneries”.  It’s the other term for the districts living inside Wall Varia. The Capitol had given them something for a living and it’s enough for them to be at least thankful being inside the wall. And as expected, another wall, Wall Xero, separates them from the last four districts of kingdom.

Districts of Sao, Boran, Suri, and Ragna lies in the outskirts of Wall Xero with nothing for themselves. People here are believed to be against the rulings of Capitol and as punishment; they are left to fend for their own. No vast lands to be planted. Yes there are forest, many forest but anyone seen hunting within those forest without any permission are killed.

One thing that makes Alexandria unique is that it is powered by an artificial sun. What makes people envied the ones living near the capitol aside from the type of living is the amount of light they get. If you’re living in the outskirts, outside Wall Xero, daytime only last for six hours and everything is night.

He, Lieutenant Lu Han, had been serving District Ragna and its inhabitants for the past 27 years of his life. Ragna has been his home, although his father was born in District Maria inside Wall Varia, ever since. His father was still a soldier at that time when their division was relocated to the outskirts. There he met his mother, a Ragna citizen and since then he never gone back to Maria. Ragna was the furthest among the four Districts and being the one, people here are much more aggressive. Here, they have no higher authority; anyone can kill whomever they want to. Lieutenant Sooman, as his father always said, was his senior at that time. Sooman was initially born in the Capitol and having such power, Camp Akasha was built in Ragna. This is where he was born, grew, met friends, and built his dreams only to be shattered when Xiumin left.

Xiumin.

His friend, his partner, his brother.

Although he guessed his dreams started vanishing since that time Yi Fan left the division for Capitol. It was two years before Xiumin and Chen left and two years after their graduation. Wu Yi Fan or Yi Fan to them was the original leader of EXO Division. He was charismatic, a man of few words and really reliable. He gives the aura of cold and unfeeling but he was one of the gentlest people he’s ever met. Zitao and Chanyeol were the perfect proof of this attitude of his. Zitao treats him as a true blood brother with reverence and admiration, even saying, ‘I will be a good leader of my own division someday’ as reference to Yi Fan’s good deed. Even Xiumin is almost open to him and he know Yi Fan is also telling him something that he can’t tell us, besides Xiumin is the oldest in the division.

The night he decided to left for the Capitol, only a small white paper says his goodbye to them.

“Junmyeon, I’m leaving the division to your care. I know you’ll do best.”

Not even words of goodbye are written on that small paper. Not even a reason why he’s suddenly left them hanging in mid air.

The heck! What are we to you Yi Fan? Co-workers? That if you suddenly felt bored, you will just walk away without even bothering to look back?

He’d learned that he was leaving for Capitol from his father who was currently the Head of Camp Akasha during that time.

“He’s leaving for Capitol right now, Han. I know it will lead you to lose your leader but I gave him the decision to choose one.”

That night, he felt for the first time an emotion similar to hatred but he knew it still wasn’t because few days after, he found himself waiting for his return. Pathetic right? But ever since then, none of the members remain the same. Zitao and Baekhyun were the most affected. They cry every night for the first few weeks and he know this places great pressure on Junmyeon’s new role but what can they do? Nothing. Every passing day seems so slow. Zitao would suddenly stare off in space with a faraway look then smiling for a moment before frowning. They all know what was inside his head. Junmyeon never smiled so carefree again. He became stricter and this causes some arguments on the members. No one had appreciated Chen, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol’s joke the same as before. The three youngest seemed to have isolated themselves and only Kyungsoo, Yixing and Xiumin seemed to be in favour of Junmyeon.

For a while he blames all of what happened to Yi Fan. If he hadn’t left, if he hadn’t cowardly chosen a better life in Capitol, they won’t be like this. And for once Luhan thought they were a family. He guessed they’re the only one who believed it. Them, excluding Xiumin and Chen.

Was Yi Fan’s leaving not enough for you and hurting us once more is better, huh, Xiumin? Chen?

 

---

“Lieutenant Lu. You are summoned to the Forensic Room by Lieutenant Kim.”

A soft voice startled him, making him look up abruptly. He never noticed that he’s been clenching the report made by Sehun that he was supposed to read. He will never hear the end of it if the younger found out he’s been crushing his papers.

“Oh, I am?” He said softly. The boy in front of him only smiles awkwardly. He reminds him of Xiumin. Mark from the rookie division – he guessed that was his name – has the same round face and eye crescent smile that he’s really familiar with.

“Yes, Lieutenant.”

“Thank you. I’ll be out in a minute.” Flattening the crumpled paper, he opened the second drawer to place it there. Glancing at the mirror across his left quickly straightened his tie and slipped the red and black jacket hanging in his chair on his shoulder.

Closing his office a little bit too hard, he saw Sehun walking ahead in the hallway that he’d grown accustomed to for the past few years. For once, he found himself hesitantly calling for his name. After Xiumin left – how does he say this – his and Sehun’s relationship went down from being affectionate-senior-to-his-junior to platonic co-members. He had to admit that Sehun was one of the closest to Xiumin. He and Chanyeol were the first friends of Xiumin, as what they always brag. They rarely show it but just like Zitao, Xiumin or the Xiumin he knew has a soft spot for his juniors. Zitao officially clings to him after Yi Fan left them. So when Xiumin and Chen’s departure finally sinks in to everyone in the division, Sehun never look at him straight in the eyes.

He knew how he feels. He thinks he understands him. Those brief moments when their gazes collide, the younger’s eyes always contain those unanswered question.

Hyung, why can’t you save him? You’re the closest to him yet why did you let him leave just like that?

Funny how sometimes he also asks those questions to himself. If he had been brave enough just like Yixing who attempted to bring Chen back, maybe, just maybe Xiumin and Chen are here with them fighting this damned war. But no, that night he decided to be useless, just rooted on his feet staring aghast at the ice mage’s cold expression. Maybe he became too confident to assume that Xiumin cherished what they had. Wait, did he even consider him as a friend?

Running a gaze down Sehun’s chiselled back; he decided to call his name.

“Sehun ah.”

He stopped, stiffen before turning back to look who called him. But with how his body became rigid, Luhan knew the wind mage already had an idea who called him.

His response made him feel like vomiting.

“Lietenant Lu.” He even made a ninety degree bow. Gone is the boy who doesn’t even mind his manners, or the lack thereof, when talking to his seniors.

He gritted his teeth before forcing a smile. “Just Luhan hyung, Sehun ah.”

He seems slightly taken aback before a small smile escape his lips, so small that if he hasn’t known how the way Sehun’s lips would lift everytime he smiles, he would not notice.

“Yeah. Luhan, hyung.”

It’s enough for him. Taking little steps one at a time, salvaging what was left to them after so many hardships. After all, it’s the result that counts. Rounding up the next corner, they arrived at the Forensic Room. It turns out that they were the last to arrive.

“Sorry, so many paper works piled themselves on my desk.” He looked apologetically to Junmyeon. But the leader never look at him, instead he was hunched up in between Kyungsoo and Jongin. Seems like trouble.

“What happened?” He asked no one in particular but Chanyeol’s deep voice answered him back.

“More bodies are found dead in the boundaries of Suri and Boran. They were bought here for examination to know who or what did it since only Camp Akasha has the latest technology but seeing how they are killed, we already had an idea.”

“And that is?” But instead of answering, Chanyeol just pointed to them the room where dead bodies are stored before either burning or burying it. He looked at everyone before finally opening the small room. They look all down casted. Why?

He found seven bodies inside the room and had the urge to clamp a hand around his mouth if ever he decided to empty his stomach. But what had him widen his eyes is not because how they look dead but of what made them dead. It’s all there, screaming, making itself open to the curios eyes. He blindedly tumbled outside the room leaving Sehun wide eyed also.

“How?” Is all he managed to say.

An angry snarl came from Baekhyun. “What do you mean by how?”

“Are you sure it’s hi-

“What’s there to doubt, hyung? What’s there to deny? You saw it, everybody saw it. Those bodies are covered with ice, heck even their blood are frozen. And we only knew one person who can summon ice. So what’s there to deny?”

“Baek.” Chanyeol puts an arm on Baekhyun shoulder.

“Sorry.”

“I.. uh..” He wanted to say something but all that escaped his lips were incoherent words.

“It’s okay, Luhan ah. We understand you. Really. But it’s been three years already. Don’t get your emotions get the best out of you.” Junmyeon finally look up from his seat giving him a soft smile.

Why can’t you move on already? That’s the lingering question he knew Junmyeon was supposed to ask. But he’s kind so Luhan knew he won’t ask it directly and he’s thankful because he actually don’t know what to answer.

“What do you suppose we do?” Sehun asks for the first time behind him.

Kyungsoo nods at Sehun before answering. “This is actually the first time that Masquerade did something after the war broke out. Sure, they are the one behind it but after that, they became passive, letting those small groups of rebellion make the moves for them.”

“We assumed that Xiumin and Chen are still in Masquerade and if that is true then finally, after three years, Masquerade is taking the initiative. We just can’t let this happen.”

Masquerade is an undercover group whose members are mostly rebels, dark mage users and criminals. In the book of Alexandria, they are high ranked ‘wanteds’. Every member has a ‘pot above their head’. Although he hasn’t seen Xiumin or Chen’s picture being posted on every wall of each district, he’s sure that if Capitol soldiers will catch them, they will be killed.

Three years ago, the morning after Xiumin and Chen left together with the two Masquerade members, the Capitol was attacked. A son of one of the dukes was killed with his blood used to mark the sacred walls of the palace.

A small sacrifice for the start of a new beginning~

Marked below the words was the famous insignia of the group, a rose. It was also drawn using blood. After that, numerous small groups of rebellion from every district sprouted like beans in a spring day. The Capitol never expected the numbers, never thought that despite their efforts to serve them, people had turned their backs on them and wants a new era, a new government. But never, after that killing, the Masquerade made a move. They watched in the dark the growing war they started probably with maniac smile on their faces.

“I’ll sign our division in the roster of soldiers the Capitol are looking for. We can’t forever wait here in camp fishing for any development I doubt would happen in the next few years or so.” Junmyeon soft voice was filled with conviction.

He was terrified with the water mage’s suggestion. “How about Jongin and Sehun? They are too young to go for the battle front.”

A cold voice of Sehun whispered from his back. “You are not to decide for that.”

He turned around swiftly but the words that he’s going to say died in his throat. Back in his mind, he can clearly hear Xiumin’s voice.

Elysium is a nice world, Han ah. I wish I haven’t seen death that early.

He never bothered understanding what the connotations behind those words are but now it became clearer. He, Xiumin, had been giving him hints of the upcoming war and he never even understood any of those. Now it made sense, those knowing smile, subtle smirks that made his heart beat a little bit faster was not directly for him.  Well it was for him and his foolishness. How stupid can you get more, Luhan?

‘Sehun and Jongin are really innocent, huh? Too bad it won’t last long.’

Strike one.

‘I don’t belong here, everybody doesn’t belong here. Don’t worry I’ll change that. This.’

Strike two.

‘Of course, Elysium is attainable. With lots of red and black. Beautiful, isn’t it?’

Strike three. To think that he actually laughed when Xiumin said that.

‘Black and red, you mean rainbows and unicorns? Min, you’re really weird.’

‘Yeah, rainbows and unicorns indeed.’

He slumped in the nearby stool beside Tao holding his head in between his hands. It feels like all the energy was drained from his body. The voices of s discussing something were pushed into a dull background.

What are you doing all this time, Luhan? Too wrapped in your own dreams that you failed to realize reality was far, far different.

Luhan can’t move. He remained in that position for long. Even when s left the Forensic Room, he refused to move. A hand on his thigh made him jump from his seat. Yixing’s sweet voice and worried face filled his senses.

“Ge, are you okay?”

Luhan immediately clamped both the younger’s hands.

“Yixing! I.. I’m so stupid!”

“What? Why?”

“He.. Xiumin. He’s been giving me hints of the upcoming war and I’ve never picked up on it. Ever. I’m so stupid. Stupid. Stupid.” He let go of Yixing’s hands and found itself on his hair pulling as hard as he can.

“What? I don’t understand.” He tried to pry his hands off his hair.

He stared at Yixing, helpless. “Me either but now that it’s clear, I think am partly at fault.”

“No one’s at fault, ge.” Yixing, after successfully keeping sure he would not hurt himself, clenched their hands together.

“We didn’t know what they are thinking. No one actually does. Even me who claims to be his lover didn’t know he shares that kind of bond with Xiumin ge. I’m ashamed to admit this, but I’m actually jealous of Xiumin. I know I’m detestable to even-

He clamped a hand on his mouth. No one has the right to make Yixing this insecure. “You’re not detestable.”

“Then why did he leave me?” His eyes searched his. There’s a flicker hope there, that maybe, finally all of his question will be answered after the past three years.

But Luhan doesn’t know. He actually doesn’t know because if he does, he probably won’t be dwelling at this for years also. Questioning why they actually left them? Wishing that if maybe they left them for Capitol just like what Yi Fan did, he would probably understand them. But no, they freaking left them for Masquerade, a group who kills innocent people. Then one day, he just grew tired hoping. They obviously moved on. Without them. They should do the same, although easier said than done.

“I don’t know. I’m sorry, Xing.” he bowed his head.

Yixing smiled, although timid and a little bit forced, is comforting enough in its own way. “Hey, I’m really starting to hate the word ‘sorry’. We’ll do good. No. Better. I know it’s not yet the best by how we are still affected by Yi Fan, Xiumin and Chen’s departure but someday, we’ll do best.” He released his hand and stand up.

“Tomorrow, we’ll officially start training.” He said after a while. Luhan looked up blankly but the younger just winked at him.

“I know you’re not listening earlier, ge.” And with that he walked towards the door. He followed suit whilst chuckling at his failed attempt at greasiness. No matter what, Yixing has still the least variety of expressions.

--

As what Yixing said, the hellish training started immediately the next morning. Junmyeon had announced earlier at the breakfast table that the division has been accepted as temporary relief soldier and will be relocated at Camp Uruha at District Celes where many have been injured. They will be moved to the camp within a month, so Junmyeon made sure that they are at their best condition.

Best condition, indeed. What an irony because right at the moment he felt like fainting. Who said that moving these living rock formations that stands at least ten to fifteen feet is easy? ! He’s been feeling all his blood conjured in his head and that it will burst anytime soon.

“Oh, great.” With a huff of air he puts down one of the rocks which he haven’t even raised in the air higher that one foot.

“Concentrate, Lu. Come on. You’re a man.”

With a deep intake of breath, he closed his eyes and tried to imagine that the thirteen feet rock is just a pebble. Mind over matter, Lu. Come on. He tried picturing lifting the pebble. Yes, just like that. Another foot higher, then another foot. Another one. Now try moving the pebble to the left. You’re doing well, Lu. He opened his eyes and indeed the thirteen feet rock is seven feet high above the ground in his left. He could feel a smile forming his lips only to be cut off short when a clap echoed behind him. This resulted for him to lose control on the said rock.

Turning back to look who intruded his sacred training, he was surprised to see the Head of the Camp smiling back at him.

“Oh. Head Leeteuk.” he made the customary bow.

“Doing great, Lieutenant Lu?”

He blushed a little. Head Leeteuk is also a telekinesis user and really one of the best. He used to train with him back then when he was still a student in the academy along with the other telekinesis user, Jaejoong who is now serving inside Wall Xero.

“I hope so.” He whispered softly.

“Don’t think of those rocks as something you need to move. Think of them as your other half.” He approached him and pats his shoulder. “The problem with almost all telekinesis users is that they act and feel superior just because they can do this.” The older flicks his right wrist and the fifteen feet rock flips upside down, emphasizing his point.

Whoa!

“Feel them as something your own. Don’t try to manipulate or order them. It just adds pressure to your mind. The last thing telekinesis users need is pressure. Just relax.”

“Thank you. I think it will help me understand more of my power.”

Luhan tried doing what he said but he only managed to flip the rock in half before letting it down. He frowned but Head Leeteuk just pats his shoulder again.

“There’s always a first time.” He said with a convincing smile. He nodded in return.

“Lieutenant Lu, I know that these past few years, the happenings on your division are really not that good. I know and I understand it. My former division, SJ, had experienced the same.”

Luhan really doesn’t know what to say. Just being here talking to a senior he greatly respect is already overwhelming. But the Head doesn’t seem to mind his silence.

“You know how it felt when you’re members leave the group. You felt helpless, unable to do something. I know our situation is not exactly the same. While Kibum and Hangeng informed us of their departure, Lieutenant Wu is the opposite. Even former Lieutenant Xiumin and Chen who are now Masquerade members.”

He flinched at his words but what does he expect, the Head never sugar coats his words.

“What I want to say is that once a bond is formed, it will never be erased. It can only be broken and well, mended in the course of time but it will always be there no matter how small it has become.”

“I don’t understand.” he finally said. Which is the truth. Why is the Head suddenly telling him this? What did he want him to do? He seems to notice his silent question but he just pats his shoulder once again.

“Fight for them, Lieutenant. Show them how strong the bond of brotherhood is. Only things will not go in your way when you start giving up before even putting up a fight. There will always come a time when some sheep from the herd will stray away. But if you will guide them back, they will eventually find their way home. And then that is the only time you will find the peace of mind you are looking for. Whether it turns good or bad in the end, no one knows until you try.”

Luhan opened his mouth only to close it after. He was rooted in his feet even if the Head left already, not even minding that what he did for not bowing is insubordination.

Show them how strong the bond of brotherhood is.

Unclenching his fist, for the first time since Yi Fan left, he can feel his lips widening into a real smile. Bond of brotherhood, indeed. With renewed vigor, he resumed his practice feeling absolutely hopeful.

--

Days turn weeks and suddenly they’re on their last day of training before they will be sent to Camp Uruha. That night, Junmyeon called their final meeting in Camp Akasha. It’s noticeable, the spark in their leader’s eyes as he talked, as if he finally found a new ray of hope to cling on. Honestly, Luhan felt the same. He can’t say that he finally perfected the way of telekinesis but he can say that he was better than before.

“The next morning we will be leaving to Camp Uruha together with Senior Minho and Taemin. They will be leading us in this mission so expect to be divided in groups. But don’t be a burden, understand?” Junmyeon’s soft voice, as always, is full of energy.

“Yes.” They chorused. He feels exited. After the talk he shared with Head Leeteuk, he felt that in some way, he’s just one step away from Xiumin. His dreams are not stagnant anymore. It’s finally moving, not backwards, but forward.

The talk only lasted for fifteen minutes. Just relaying the do’s and don’ts and the next week’s itinerary. After that, the group are finally dismissed. He’s about to exit the Conference Hall when he noticed a figure still slumped in one of the plush seat.

“Yixing?” His head immediately snapped up. Luhan’s surprised to see the hesitation swarming in his black eyes. He immediately approached him.

“Hey, anything wrong?” he place a hand on his shoulder.

“We’re finally joining the war.” Yixing said it vulnerably that Luhan had the urge to flinch.

“Yeah.”

“I don’t want to kill someone.”

He knew it. Even back then in the Forensic Room, even if Yixing was the one comforting him, that hesitation in his voice is really noticeable.

“I don’t want to be like the Masquerade who killed people. I heal, Han. I don’t kill. I.. I can’t do this.”

He smiled at his innocence but this is reality. Xiumin taught him this. To open your eyes and accept reality as it is.

“That is why, Xing, we need to join the war. We need to stop them. It’s not the end yet. We could correct our mistake by doing something good. My father said it once, if we don’t stop proving our worth to everyone, we can be a great help. Xing, a great help.”

“..Han.. I’m afraid that when I see him, I will not be able to control myself.” He buried his face in both of his hands. He looked at him confusedly.

“I wanted, if it’s the only thing left, ripping his limbs out of his body so he can’t get away from me, I would do it, ge. To stop him from doing this and most of all if it’s the only way to keep him here; I would not hesitate to do it.” Every word is said with dark conviction.

He knew he’s been talking about Chen. But he’s shocked. For Yixing, one of the most peace loving members in their division, to think of something that dark, he guessed he’s the only one left living in his own dreams. Yixing had somewhat opened up to the reality even before.

“You probably won’t understand me since your relationship with Xiumin is not the same with what I have with Chen. I hate him so bad for doing this. For playing with my emotions but at the end of the day for the past three years, I’ve been longing for him, ge. I can’t help it.”

Beautiful tears are slowly cascading down Yixing red cheeks. He doesn’t know what to say so he just wiped his tears and loosely enclose him in his arms.

“We’ll get them back, Xing. We’ll get them back.”

Back in his mind, he started to wonder what kind of relationship he and Xiumin have. Yixing claims it’s not the same with what he and Chen have. Xiumin is his best of friend. Chen is Yixing’s lover. But why is that he’s been doing what Yixing’s been doing for the past three years also. Yearning for his warmth.

What are we, Xiumin? What are you to me?