Thirteenth Fall

Of Shattered Dreams and Broken Wings

Chapter 13

 

Kim Junsu immediately ordered to put Xiumin inside one of the empty red cells but a white light erupted from the latter’s unconscious body. It’s hot evidenced but how everything around him is melting.

“Stay back! Increase the nullification of the room.”

The kind of feriel his body is releasing would not be mistaken for something else. This is the feriel that only the royalty has. The kind of feriel that could power up the artificial sun.

“What kind of sorcery is this? Who exactly are you Lord Minseok?”

--

Xiumin felt warm. As if something like a thick blanket was wrapped around his body. He felt comfortable and he wanted to snuggle close to it but his eyes wanted to open. So open he did. And surprised was an understatement to describe how he felt from what he saw.

“W..what..”

A boy probably four years of age was staring straight back at him, round eyes and gummy smile. He was squatting in front of him almost looming.

But! It can’t be. The boy probably saw the recognition in his eyes because seconds later, he dives into his chest, laughter bubbling up.

“Minseok-ah!” the sound was a melody to his ear, high pitched laughter echoing in the air.

His arms automatically wrapped on the small body, a sense of protectiveness awakened inside him.

“Dongwoo..” he exhaled and felt his eyes water. The boy that has been hunting his dreams for the past years, first a faceless boy now a warm body in motion. The boy that he failed to protect is now in front of him. He felt an ache stirring up in his gut reminding him of how a failure he was before.  “I…I.. how..”

Dongwoo release himself and sit down beside him with a smile. “Ah, this. It’s a special place that only I can enter. Don’t worry we can talk here without anyone interrupting us.”

“Are.. are you alive? I mean I saw you died.” His heart ached more knowing that he hasn’t done anything to save him in the past and he wanted to make up for that. For the present.

“No.” Dongwoo smiled at him. “This is me as a fragment of my feriel that I stored inside your body. I know my father and the king would harm you once they know you had knowledge of the experimentation. I don’t want them to hurt you so I stored my feriel inside of you to protect you.”

Right, experimentation. The king and Dongwoo’s father himself are the ones behind his death. But why?

“Why are you being experimented?” he clench his fist upon remembering flashes of his dreams. Dongwoo, inside that red glass tube with wires attached on every part of his body – his unconsciousness and defenseless body.

“You didn’t know?” his gaze bore through him, it made Xiumin want to hide because why, he actually doesn’t have any idea because his memories failed to serve him.

“I can’t remember most of my memories. Even you, I didn’t know about you until recently. Until my night were filled of haunting dreams of my past. I’m sorry.”

Dongwoo bowed his head. “So I still failed to protect you. The very reason why I stored my feriel inside of you is because I know they will erase your memories of the experimentation. I should be the one saying sorry.”

“No. It’s not.” he argued back. “If it weren’t for you, we won’t be talking right now. I just want for my memories to return.”

“I wish I could help you but the limited time my feriel can give is running. Someone has been eagerly it up from the outside.”

Xiumin bit his lip. “Then tell me, why are you experimented? Why is there even experimentation going inside the palace?”

Dongwoo sighed. “My older sister died at the age of sixteen because her body can’t take all the pressure and exhaustion of releasing feriel to power up the sun. It was the first time something like that happened and it bothered the king. My father suggested that they should probably take my feriel out of my body in advance and stored it in a container where it can be cultivated so to continuously power up the sun. It was called the Red Cell Project by Professor Soo Man which I guess you didn’t also remember.”

“But that’s insane.” he hissed.

The other just smiled sadly. “I guess. My body didn’t respond very well to the effects of the experiments and thus I died. Although I manage to transfer almost half of what is remaining inside me to you.”

“..I’m sorry.”

“Why are you saying sorry?”

He looked at him trying to memorize and imprint what his memories can’t. The sharp features of him covered with baby fats, bright eyes and smile that rival that of an angel. This was/is his best friend and the first person he failed to protect. And with the thought of regaining all his memories, he’s afraid to know if there are other people important to him that he also failed to protect along the way.

“I don’t know.. I guess I’m ashamed because I had forgotten about you.”

He gritted his teeth. For all those wasted time revenging something that is not even worth it. What has he been doing for the past years? The Xiumin now is a stronger one, he says. Who is he kidding? He hasn’t done anything. Anything that is remotely close to what is he supposed to avenge.

“It’s not your fault. Let’s not talk about me. Let’s talk about you. How are you right now?”

I.. He.. What has he really done so far? He managed to be a member of an organization that is against Capitol. Became a slave, kill people and kill some more, betrayed a division, used a friend and was/is still trying to convince himself that this is for revenge. Revenge for whom?

“I’ve met some friends.” He said instead.

“Hmm..”

“One is named Chen. He’s a weakling, even weaker than you.” He tried to laugh it off but upon mentioning Chen, he also starts questioning himself. Does he also fail Chen? “But he’s so stubborn. I tried leaving him behind because the thought of him hurting is hurting me as well. But he’s a clingy brat and he said that he can’t and won’t leave me.”

“It’s glad to know that.”

And he’s glad as well that Chen is still with him. Part of this revenge path that he started is to avenge their fate. To give Chen something worth hoping. That in this cruel and sick world, there is still hope. A change.

“And then there’s another one. His name is Luhan.”

Dongwoo smiled at him but it didn’t reach his eyes. “You’ve made so many friends, after all, Minseok ah.”

“But I already betrayed him.”

The other gave no reaction just gazing at him warmly as if urging him to continue his story.

“He’s a special friend. One of the most selfless people I’ve ever met.”

“Are you sure you did betray him?”

“Well I used him to infiltrate their base and gather information. He’s easy to trust someone and it’s his greatest flaw. But it makes him more endearing.”

“So why did you betray him? “

“Because I hate him as well. Hate him with all of my being.”

Xiumin didn’t know when it happens. He likes Luhan. He really like him and he’s ready to leave all this revenge to stay in Akasha with the members but it just happened one day. Just looking at him made his insides burn in anger. Luhan himself is the embodiment of everything he doesn’t have. Family, friends, a simple and peaceful life. He learned to hate him. Everytime he see him, all he could remember is his old self, weak, naïve and easy to fool. Everything of him is everything that he hates.

He didn’t know when but he guessed it was around the time Chen was given the parole and enter the Academy. The reappearance of Chen made him remember all of what he had to suffer and how cruel and unfair their world is. And that no matter how much he tried to be happy; the ghost of his past would forever hunt him. That until change is not made in this world, he would never be happy. Chen remind him of the reason why he is still leaving in this world. To avenge his family, his forgotten memories and his own broken fate.

A small hand made its way into his left hand, warm and comfortable. He can’t look at him. Afraid of what emotion is in his eyes. And it’s as if Dongwoo can read his mind.

“You haven’t changed. The Minseok I knew is still the same Minseok I am looking at right now. You called him your friend, Luhan shi, and I know how much you value that word so I know as well that he is still very important to you.

“Dongwoo.. I...” he trailed off upon seeing the sight of his left arm. “Your arm..”

Dongwoo glanced at it once before standing up and coming close to him. “I wanted to talk to you too about so many things, Minseok ah.” He cupped his face using his small hands and even though his left one is already turning invisible, Xiumin could still feel the heat. “I wanted to tell you so many secrets that I failed to tell. I wished I lived longer so that I could see how my best friend turned into such fine young man I’m seeing right now. But I didn’t and I’m sorry. I wished I could meet Chen and Luhan as well and we could make a great friendship. But I didn’t and I’m sorry.”

Xiumin doesn’t even notice that tears are already falling from his eyes. “We could probably have gone out of the wall if I have lived. We could probably see a real ocean, or that grasshopper.” He was crying while laughing. “But I didn’t and I’m sorry. I’m sorry I failed to protect you and your memories. So I’m going to use my remaining feriel to show you at least a glimpse of our past.” A sob escaped his lips. “Please remember me after this. Please don’t let anyone take these memories away from you again. And maybe in the next lifetime, where everything is going in our way, maybe we could meet and be friends again.”

Xiumin choked on his sobs. He can’t accept it.  He’s going to say goodbye for forever to someone and he didn’t even have a choice. He can’t even remember the memories they shared because all that left is an aching hole in his heart because of his departure. All he can do is say goodbye.

“Goodbye Minseok ah. We’ll see each other again. Promise.”

His reply was incoherent sobs. He can’t even hug his body now that it’s slowly evaporating in the air. Dongwoo just smiled at him as if he understands him and lightly peck at his cheek before everything turned white.

--

“Oppa!”

Minseok turned around and saw his younger sister Minju strutting hand in hand with his mother. Surely with the way his mother is frowning, his evil little sister had already told his mom about what he’s going to do tonight.

“I swear mom, where only going to see the tadpoles and maybe fireflies as well. We’re not going to do something wrong.” he whined immediately when his mother sit down in front of him probably to confirm what Minju said.

“And I presume it’s with Prince Dongwoo again?” she said softly.

He looked away but nodded. “What’s wrong with hanging out with him?” he pouted.

“Of course there is nothing wrong, my dear. But some people don’t want the prince to be associated with the like of us. I just don’t want you or Minju to be hurt by their words.”

Minseok frowned. “But you’re a Knight of Rounds! It’s a noble job. You’re protecting the royalty and someday I’m going to do it as well with Prince Dongwoo.”

“I’m the one who’s going to protect Prince Dongwoo when I grow up.” Minju interrupted and even stick out her tongue on him.

“He doesn’t like annoying girls like you.” He sticks his tongue out in response.

“Mom!”

“Alright. Alright. The two of you will be Knight of Rounds someday. No need to argue.” She petted both of their hair and stands up the same time a man dressed in black robes with a red rose badge approach them.

“Lady Jihyo, the King requests for your presence.”

Minseok never did like those persons dressed in black robes. They looked at them like they were something to be frowned upon. Something that must be isolated. And he hated those looks because it took away the smile of his mother. He knew he’s still young but he already understand what those looks mean.

His mother sits down in front of them again but her voice has a hint of urgency and panic in it. She placed her sister’s hand in his and said, “Go back to the Manor and take your sister with you. Be careful and please be safe.”

If this was any other day, Minseok would probably whine again but the expression on his mother’s face said otherwise.

“Yes, mom. Minju ah let’s go. Dad is probably waiting for us.”

Minseok missed the way his mother’s lips trembled.

--

Dongwoo has been coughing for the past hour already and it worried Minseok.

“Dongwoo ah, are you alright?” if it’s only the two of them, Dongwoo insisted that he should just call him in his name, no honorific attached.

“Yes. I just got cold.” Dongwoo smiled tightly and proceeded down the hallway.

Minseok knew his best friend isn’t telling him the truth but he didn’t pry. Or maybe he’s just the paranoid one. “Where are we going?”

Dongwoo seemed like he’s suddenly awaken from a trance. “Ah..” He scratched his head and turned to him. “You don’t need to walk me to my chamber, it’s already dark outside. Your mother is probably looking for you.”

At the mention of his mother, Xiumin suddenly remember the antsy look on her face this morning. “I guess so. Well then I’m going. See you tomorrow.”

Dongwoo nodded and proceeded down the hallway. But Minseok stopped walking once he knew Dongwoo has already walked a distance. Minseok can’t mistake the hint of blood that his best friend is hiding under his palm. Blood that he coughed up earlier.

Turning around he walked the direction Dongwoo took and was surprised it is not the hallway going to the prince’s chamber. It leads underground and into what look like a laboratory.

Is this where he got his treatment for the cold?

But what he saw was far from the treatment he expected. The king and Dongwoo’s father was present. Dongwoo was stripped down only to his pants and was soon led into a small glass chamber full of pale red liquid.

What was going on?

From where he was hidden, he couldn’t see the expression of his best friend but his shoulders is slumped. Was he forced to do this? An approaching steps and soft whispers alerted Minseok that the guards who were doing rounds are probably back. He immediately dashed up the stairs missing the guards by split seconds before he was finally back in the hallway where he and Dongwoo said their goodbye. The last image burn in his head is his best friend’s body writhing in pain as needles with wires attached of different size pierced his small, fragile body.

--

The news of his best friend’s death reached him faster than any rocket.  When his mother came in his room, soldiers robe a bit messy and a frantic look on her face, Minseok already knew something happened with Dongwoo.

“Minseok ah. Look at me. Please, Minseok ah. Look at mother. You have to say you don’t know anything, okay? If they question you anything about the prince and that book that you told Mom about, you have to say you don’t know, okay?”

He doesn’t understand why his mother is suddenly telling all of this to him as if she’s asking to forget about Dongwoo.

“B-but he was my best friend! I would stay at his side. I promised him that.”

“No. you don’t understand Minseok. They will take you away. Away from me, from your sister.” Her mother let out a whimper. “If.. if they knew that you had knowledge about the experiments going on inside Capitol, they won’t hesitate to kill you too.”

“But what they’re doing is wrong!”

His mother grabbed him and pressed him to her chest tightly, shoulders trembling from too much crying. “Please, Minseok. Just this once. Listen to mom, okay? You need to preserve the bloodline. You can’t die.”

He doesn’t understand what her mother meant until the night after, those people who were dressed in black robes with red rose badge broken into their manor with the King. Those soldiers by the order of the King himself dragged his mother and father forcing them to kneel on the floor, his sister crying in the side with a soldier holding close. He could see the way Minju’s frail body tremble in fear he’s afraid she’ll collapsed.

“Take him.” the King ordered and Minseok only stood in frozen watching tears flow freely from her mother’s eyes and his father forced to bow with a sword on his neck.

But what Minseok was surprised is the sudden bravery inside him. “You killed him. You killed your own grandson.” His voice trembled in accusation. “You killed Dongwoo.”

He saw the King raise his sword and he close his eyes shut.

“Father!” came the anguished gurgled cry of his mother. “How much more do you need to hurt me?! How much more do I need to suffer the pain and humiliation of being a non badge holder?!”

The soldier holding his mother down slapped her. His father tried to stand up to no avail.

“You don’t have the right to address the King like that. Know your place Lady Jihyo.”

“Not my children please. Father. I beg of you not Minseok, not Minju, hurt me all you want but not them.”

And Minseok was beyond stunned. The man in front of him is grandfather? The man in front of him is related to him and yet he had killed Dongwoo.

“No.. You’re not my grandfather…” he slumped on the ground wide eyed. But the King paid him no heed.  Instead he approached his mother.

“How dare you address me as your father? I have no weak daughter.”

His mother just broke down in sobs. “I’ll do anything. Just spare my children.”

“You don’t have a choice if I take your son away from you.” Was the King’s cold reply.

“He still has your blood! How can you hurt something that has your bloodline?!”

A resounding slapped echoed in the room once again. “He doesn’t come from any bloodline close to a royalty.  And calm down my Duke or you’ll see your wife’s head rolling in the floor.”

The King gripped his mother jaw. “I’ll say this again. You have no choice if I’ll take your son away from you.”

His mother had a pleading expression on her face accentuated by tears as she begs for Minseok’s life. “Just erase his memories. Anything. Just don’t take him away from me. I beg you father. Please. Let him live.” His mother broke into sobs. The king stared at him before motioning the soldier to take him. He struggled but upon seeing the blank face of his mother, he started to break into sobs as well.

No! I don’t want to forget! Mom, Dad, Minju, Dongwoo. I don’t want to forget!

Before he was out of the door, his mother managed to engulf his body in her arms.

“Live, baby. Fight, Minseok. Preserve the bloodline. Don’t let anyone take your identity away from you. Don’t let anyone hurt you again.”

But he doesn’t hear anything. He just cried and cried until he was out of the door, out of the Manor and out of the life of his family.

He was put into the same red chamber where Dongwoo was, the same wires attached to his body. His memories where erased. His body was put into sleep. And after thirteen years of sleeping, when he woke up, he was still Minseok. An eighteen year old Minseok in the body his five year old self.

--

 

South Central

EXO Division Headquarters

 

 

Two days already passed and Luhan is still indecisive. Tonight would be the last night of the King’s grace period and he would have to choose already. To accept a Capitol Knight Position with a high chance of saving Xiumin or stay within EXO with no certainty of progress. He still can’t decide and Yixing isn’t here to help him put his own self together.

“You’re alright?” He was startled by Sehun’s voice. The youngest was staring at him trying to gauge his expression. Ever since that rooftop incident, this will only be the first time they will have a conversation again. Luhan still doesn’t know how to act with the younger, especially with someone who probably had shared a deeper bond with Xiumin than him.

“Yeah.”

“You’re terrible at lying.” He snorted. “Do you know that I’ve been calling your name for the third time already?”

“I..uh..Sorry. I was pretty occupied these days especially with the news of Chen being arrested.

“Chen hyung or is this about Xiumin hyung?” Sehun was still looking at him as if reading his reactions.

“Am I really that transparent?” he laughed hollowly.

“No. I’m just observant when it comes to Xiumin hyung.”

Luhan nodded. “Do you ever think of saving him, Sehun ah?”

“What are we even saving him from? Who actually knew the real Xiumin hyung? All I knew was he was a slave like me as well. Starving in the streets, robbing pockets. The only difference is that he has bravery that I don’t have. And I don’t even know if all of those are real.”

Sehun closed the book he was reading and fully turned to Luhan. “How about you hyung? Did you ever think of getting him back? Don’t lie because I know you do.”

Luhan’s eyes widened. “You’re not angry? Junmyeon and the others aren’t really fond even just the thought of it.”

“I won’t blame them. They betrayed us. Used us to infiltrate Akasha to gather information. Heck, we didn’t even know how those two Masquearde members knew about our Camp when were located in the outskirts, it only became clear when we learned that Xiumin and Chen were members.”

Luhan clenched his fist. He knew Xiumin and Chen only used them. Masquerade’s main goal is to infiltrate camps. How many camps all over Alexandria are already under them? Alexandria is special since Head Soo Man has a nobility blood in him and he founded the place. They infiltrated the Academy and Luhan trusted Xiumin the most.

“Junmyeon hyung was the most who got hurt so I understand him. Yifan leaving had turned him into a leader who is more of a machine rather than a human. Xiumin and Chen hyung added to the blow and it so clear that he only used you knowing that you were the son of the current Head. The camp lost 24 important scrolls because of it.” Sehun continued.

Luhan knew all of this that is why he wanted to correct his all of the mistake he’d done.

“That’s why I wanted to save him.” he whispered. “To correct all the mistakes done.”

“Are you really sure that’s the reason?”

Luhan head snapped up. “What do you mean? He’s my best friend, of course.”

Sehun snorted. “Keep lying hyung.” Sehun stands up and walked to his bed. It was when he was already lying down, his back facing him that he speaks again.

“Actually and honestly I don’t care if you go and try to get him back. I don’t care if you left EXO Division to pursue him. Don’t find justification of your actions from anybody else. You won’t find it, hyung. Whether you want him or not in your life, it’s all your choice. I don’t really care. It’s not like you’re betraying us, you just want him back. Just don’t stray away from what you believe is right.”

He smiled and even though Sehun is not looking at him, he knew the younger knew he was smiling. “I didn’t ask for your advice brat.”

 

Luhan knew he had to do this or else he will forever regret this. It’s just funny because he needed Sehun to make him realize things. Don’t find justifications of your action from anybody. And that exactly is what he’s been doing. He wanted to hear Yixing’s opinion because he just wanted someone to tell him that what he would be doing is wrong. But deep inside him, he already knew the moment the offer was given that he would accept it.

Later that afternoon, placing the envelope on the table beside Junmyeon’s bed, Luhan bid his goodbye.

Junmyeon ah. I know it’s not right for me to say that I won’t be betraying you guys because you will probably felt I did but please always remember that EXO would be my home no matter what. I just had to do this because I want it to be complete. I don’t ask for your understanding. I just wanted to let you know. I am going to be a Capitol Knight and will be removed from the roster of soldier from EXO Division. Please be well and take care.

Luhan

 

The horse that would take him to the Palace Central is already waiting for him at the entrance of their headquarters. The ride to the palace would only take five hours of ride so he did not take anything. Actually he did not bring anything. Beacause he’s not leaving EXO. He just went out to get something back. He would return and hopefully with him.

--

Kim Junsu arrived at the Palace Central forty seven minutes late than what was supposed to be the exact time. But he didn’t care. After all he came back with the mission given to him accomplished.

Stepping out of the same carriage as he is, he bowed at his companion. “We have finally arrived Lord Minseok. His Excellency is waiting for you at the common room. It’s time to plan for your reinstatement as the prince and next in line of the throne.”

The young royalty smiled at him. “Very well. I assume my personal knight would be at the State Room as well.”

“Of course my Lord. We shall proceed.”

Kim Junsu watched as Minseok walked down the path of the courtyard and into the palace with a proud expression.

Everything is going well with your plan, Your Excellency.

After that appearance of white light, they had a hard time getting near him. They turned the nullification of the room at the highest level and it took them two hours to finally out the white feriel. Getting him into the red tube is easy and altering his memories is easier. The only memory he has is that he was a royalty, his grandfather was once the king and he is supposed to inherent the throne next. The lamb that was Minseok before was reborn making him the ultimate puppet of the Capitol.

 They remove anything that happened after he was put into sleep. It took five hours of sleep before Minseok woke up again. He doesn’t mind that it took him thirteen hours. The result is what more important.

Now that Minseok would be announced as the new king by the upcoming week, Masquerade will surely be on the edge after a prominent member suddenly turned his back from them. And from the amount of information out of that female member and few from Minseok himself, the identities of the leaders of Masquerade will finally be revealed. They would just have to wait for the memories to be sorted out.

“Aren’t you following?”

Kim Junsu smiled. All is well. “Of course, My Lord.”

--

 

The King was already in the State Room when Luhan arrived at the Capitol as if he was already expecting that Luhan would be accepting their offer. Knight of Two Kim Himchan had already given him his official robes and he was expecting only a blue badge but he didn’t expect a blue badge lined with gold badge around it. He has two official badges.

“Your Excellency, if I may ask, but why are there two badges?”

“You will soon know the reason. Be patient my knight.”

Before he could say his apologies, a new soldier entered and approached the king.

“Your Excellency, Knight of One Kim Junsu had finally arrived.”

The King smiled widely and turned to him. “I guess it’s too soon. My knight,” the king approaches him “tonight you are few of the first who would witness the next in line of throne. For your acceptance of cooperating with The Red Cell Project, we gave you as well the honour of being the personal knight of our soon to be king.”

The king bent down in level with his ears. “Guard him well, my knight.” And he was made to turn to his back.

The sight had his heart stopped beating for a moment before beating twice its speed. Right in front of him, dressed in immaculate prince robes, the pink hair styled in way to accentuate his beautiful features, eyes sharp as always.

“X..Xiumin..”                                      

“It’s rude if you would just stare at him, Lieutenant.”

He stumble forward, gaze fixed on Xiumin’s face. The other is looking at him as well and it only made Luhan want to caress his face. Gone is the trace of anger and coldness in his eyes everytime Xiumin looks at him. Gone the fierceness that Luhan is always afraid will burn him down. All that left is the solemn and peaceful expression on his face. And Luhan promise he will do anything to keep it there.

Even before he could bow, Xiumin had already extended his arm and smiled at him fondly.

“Are you my new knight? I’m Prince Kim Minseok. Please take care of me.”

Luhan’s eyes widened. What? Kim Minseok what?


A/N: Did you expect that? Tehehe.. Luhan is going to be Xiumin’s personal knight so will there be Xiuhan moments at last?? *wiggles eyebrows* But the real question here is did Xiumin actually forgot his memories after regaining it again? Old Minseok is back for now, gone the cold hearted Xiumin, I wonder how Luhan would react?

On the other note, PLEASE READ this. I will be gone for a month to two because I’m going to take Accountancy Licensure Examination one and a half month from now so I need to focus on my studies first. I’ve started writing because it’s my hobby but I still have my top priorities so please bear with me and don’t leave this fic. *crying emoji* I will be back, I promise. Thank for everyone who subscribed, upvoted and commented, it really made me happy. Till next time, bai bai!!