Third Fall

Of Shattered Dreams and Broken Wings

CHAPTER 3

 

Masquerade is vicious, cruel, unforgiving, unjust, evil and loathsome and more adjectives go on and on. People seemed to believe that they work just to please their cravings for bloodshed and fill their thirst for territorial domination. When they first took the life of an insignificant son of the same insignificant Duke, Capitol and its followers easily labelled Masquerade 'dirt' of the society.

Rebels.

Criminals.

Low-life.

Chen has to admit that he has the same thoughts about them. Even before, in the place where he came from. That asylum he refused to call home, Masquerade doings spreads in soft whispers shared between breakfast and sleep. He gave no care since he firmly believed that he will be forever chained to that place. He hasn't really thought himself to become a member and in a way understand why they are doing those kinds of things. Not until ‘he’ made him understand that life is beyond what you see.

He watched as the clear transparent water slowly turned red. Tainted. Amusing isn't it? That everything starts to become more beautiful, more interesting when it has been tainted. Well, that is how life and its cruelness. Nothing will remain pure in the course of time. Everything will be damaged.

He watched how his body was slowly rid of the putrid blood from his victims. Cleansing. People's only salvation when everything turns dark. But still, temporary it is, temporary it will remain. Life after all is a just a routine of tainting and cleansing until someone will become broken beyond repair.

He raised his body from the cold river water after few more minutes of scrubbing and washing. Although he’s killed people hundreds of times already, he’s still not used to the smell of blood that clings to his body like second skin. Yet he can't deny that he enjoyed the feeling. It has became a pleasure to him watching people beg for their life, screams in agony and promised hell-like revenge even though they know they can't since they will be dying anyway. Pathetic. Pitiable.

He frowned in realization that he actually left his robe when he went searching for a nearby river minutes after their stop from departing District Ruga. With no other choice he began trekking the dark forest to where he could see a fire being set up nearby. He could make up a figure seated in front of the fire, spaced out. His frown deepened when he noticed the frozen blood on his dress and body. He stopped the urge to flinch when the pungent smell of the red liquid invades his nose once he’s close enough. Before he could utter his whine, he beat him to it.

"Is that a way of saying you're finally interested in me?" Xiumin’s cold voice echoes in the dark night as he surveyed his body up and down.

"Shut up. I don't swing that way. I left my robe, okay." In emphasis, he grabbed the hanging robe on the nearby branch and wrapped it around his body.

"Really? What about Yixing then? Friends with benefits?" His tone is cold but his eyes are somehow amused. He can't tell.

He stared at him for a few good seconds before registering the name he just utter. Frowning, he decided to flip him a good finger.

"I mean to you. It would be like . Besides you don't deserve this magnificent body." he scooted close to the fire and scrunched his nose when the smell of blood once again hits his senses.

"Aren't you going to clean up? Here I thought you're an OCD. Finally changing principles, eh?"  He smirked when the ice mage’s brows furrowed and lips dip down a little. When you have a partner whose basic emotion is indifference, it becomes an entertainment to fish out as many expressions as you can.

"I will. I'm just waiting for you to guard our things."

He looked at those 'things' he mentioned and snorted. "It's not even our things. Well, I guess it’s ours now that they are already dead."

"Whatever. I'm going. Don't stray away to where I can't find you." And with that he walked away towards the direction where he came out earlier.

Don't stray away to where I can't find you, my . What is he? A kid?

He threw some firewood to the fire to keep it blazing since he’s guessing they will be staying the night here. After completing the assassination of the Mayor of District Ruga, guess they can let themselves have this luxury just for a while. Usually when they complete a mission, they immediately flew three or four districts for security or even passed a wall. But since it’s already past midnight, back-up from other districts will surely arrive tomorrow. By that time its either they're back in the base or miles away from Ruga. Besides he’s doing this mission with Xiumin and not with other Masquerade member. He feels assured.

The ice mage always makes him feel assured.

"Don't stray away to where I can't find you."

It's always been like that. Sometimes with other variation.

'Don't follow me' or 'Can't you be more careful?'

Half of him is irritated when he changes to that kind of Xiumin.

I mean I'm freaking 25 years old already.

He’s not some kid who would break down every time everything feels too much. But half of him is also pleased knowing that all throughout this time, he still remained the same; the old Xiumin back in that asylum who always took the beating and bruises for him, the Xiumin who always manages to find him no matter where he hid and the Xiumin who will always remain in his memories.

"Jongdae ah, come here. Hyung is here."

Six years old. He found him hiding in the attic of their room in fatal position with a dusty blanket covering him. He smiled and extended his hand which the younger him gladly embraced.

"You should smile more. Your smile is beautiful."

Ten years old. He gave him a music box as a birthday present for the birthday he can't remember. But he says it’s his birthday so he believed him and he smiled.

"Shall I name you Chen then?  For a new beginning?"

Fifteen years old. When he finally succumbed to his inner devils and decided to end his life. But he was there, gently holding his wrist and offered him a new start. He accepted it wholeheartedly.

"You can still call me Minseok, just like the old days."

Twenty years old. When he thought that he was changing and his smiles appeared less and less. But that night, it doesn't even last a second but he’s still happy that his smile is still there.

He has a disease. He doesn't know if it is actually a disease but it eats his body and made him weak, not physically but emotionally, so he called it a disease. He loses his memories once in a while. It doesn't come in intervals. Sometimes it last for several years before he’ll forget about it. But sometimes, cruelly, it doesn't even last a year. Six months if he’s lucky. He doesn't lose all his memories, only part of it. And that what makes it more painful. He remembers events, happy days but can't remember the people who are with him. He sees people smiling, hugging him but he doesn't know them (remember them). He wished he could so that every time he sees those memories again, he can actually feel the feeling contained in it.

But one thing or rather one person remained constant. Him.

Kim Minseok.

In all those memories, he's the constant one. Smiling. Frowning. Crying. He's all there and he’s glad he's still here. It compensate, it’s enough, for those lost memories of him. Sometimes he would wonder if he had lived even before and he’s just a reincarnation of his past self and the memories he’s seeing were the lives he’s lived but Xiumin assured him that they've been together since what the older could remember and that he’s never died. It feels nice to know that the only person constant in his life has been with him since probably he was a kid. And he hoped that he will remain until the day he dies.

So when one night, back in Akasha, after dropping off Yixing back to his room after their training ended, he was surprised to see Xiumin standing on his and Yi Fan's shared room. He has that unreadable expression on his face and immediately doubt gripped his whole body.

"Hyung? Something wrong?"

"We need to talk." His tone is clipped. Cold. Xiumin guided him towards a veranda for some privacy.

"Did I do something wrong?" he tried to recall anything that he did to make him mad but he can't. The older won't be mad just because he secretly ate all his stash of food that Zitao accidentally found, right? It would be childish.

"Hyung what is it?"

"I'm leaving."

"Oh." He felt relieved. "For a mission then? How long?"

"For good."

"Wait, what?"

"There's no mission, Chen. I'm leaving for good."

"Why?" his immediate reaction was to grip his arm and made him look at him but Xiumin never did. "Did they found us already? Are we escaping again? Then I'm going to say goodbye to Y-

"There's no need for you to say goodbye. I'm the only who will be doing it." His voice has softened but he still doesn't look at him.

"Why?" his voice quivered.

"I want you to stay here. Live here, you're happy here. You have Yixing and you're smiling again."

"No. Where are you going?" He shook his shoulders. "Kim Minseok, where are you going?"

Instead of answering, Xiumin’s free arm tapped a part of his skin on his left neck. And like magic, transparent ice formed on that part, slowly cracking with the passing seconds. Then, when ice finally becomes undone, a black marking becomes visible.

All this time that part of his skin was covered with ice?

He tugs the collar of his shirt lower so that he can clearly see what the marking is. He was surprised. No. He was beyond shocked. Beautifully carved on Xiumin’s left neck downwards his collarbone is an intricate design of a rose.

A rose.

Intelligence is not needed to know what that symbol means. Anyone can tell what it means. Vandalized in some walls or printed in some newspapers but he’s never seen it on a body moreover his body.

"M-masquerade." his voice is shaky then he hissed. "Since when, hyung?!"  He’s afraid to shout, afraid that if they know, they will take Xiumin away.

"Since I was nine."

"Why, hyung? I can't.. I don't understand."

"I have to Chen. You knew the reason why all this time we kept on escaping, never having a place to call home. And you know the most what I want in life."

He eased the strong grip he have on his other arm. "But I want you to stay here. You finally found a place to call home so you'll stay here."

At that moment, the fear of Xiumin leaving him was far greater than the fear of abandoning Yixing and earning his hatred. So at that time also, the decision was made for him.

"Take me with you." He said with conviction and something snap in the older. Because, few seconds later, he grabbed his collar and slammed him in the nearby wall. He stopped the urge to flinch. He has to convince him.

"What?! No. Are you insane?" He hissed.

"We're all in this together, right? So I'm coming with you."

"This is not even an option, Jongdae!” He called him by his real name. “You know what this means? There will be a war in upcoming months. I did not take you with me in all those escapades just to bring you out in the war and for you to be marked by this rose." He slammed him once more for good but he’s already grinning widely.

"Try me." He stared at him for long until Chen can feel his defense weakens and until he let go of him.

"Why?" Xiumin asked, exasperated.

"You promised once, right? That you'll always be with me. I'm just helping you fulfil it."

"How about Yixing then? Chanyeol? Baekhyun?"

"I'll forget them eventually."

Yes it is true. He knew a time will come when his mind will refuse to remember them. By that time they’ll be strangers. He doesn't know what he will do if one day he woke up, realized he forgot all them and just remember Xiumin but he's not already by his side.

"You have to be sure or you will regret this."

"I won't."

He may have given his heart to Yixing but his loyalty, his body and soul will always be with Kim Minseok. He maybe Xiumin at this lifetime but it doesn’t matter. He doesn't know that it was possible until he felt it himself. When salvation comes more important than happiness. After all they're still human. Greediness and selfishness is their game.

After getting dressed from the clothes they steal from their victims, Xiumin is still nowhere in sight probably for another hour more, a vulture lands on top of his head. He did not need to guess twice to know who it is. Only one is known that finds his mop of hair his second nest.

"Seriously, Yoseob." He plucked him from his hair and settled the bird in his arms. The bird stared back with a 'seriously-too-Chen-I've-been-doing-this-for-3-years-already-hello' look.

"This is the time when the idea of being a bald is not bad." Chen muttered sinisterly and then plucked something in between its beak. He’s already used with the routine. Yoseob was a ‘summon’ of one of their members. He has a summoning badge like Yifan but unlike him, who only summons dragons, their member can summon almost all animals – Yoseob has been the messenger for members out in the field for years.

He feeds Yoseob a piece of bread, "Tell your master I'll castrate him the next time I see him if he let you land again on my head" before it disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"You'll castrate who?" Xiumin who just came back was already dressed in the group's official wardrobe of black fitted pants, boots and equally black fitted shirt with a small red printed rose emblem on the left chest and two red lines running below it. Although Xiumin's is sleeveless. He thought he just want to showcase his muscles. His wolf mask is adjoined on his hips. Everyone has their own trademark mask. His is a cat mask.

"You know who. , my hair." His hair was parted in half from Yoseob’s landing.

"It suits you." He glared at him before opening the letter.

"Eyy. Why is the base relocated in Suri? It's like hundreds of miles from here." He whined then read the whole content.

"Report to Suri once everything is done."

The group relocates the base once in a while to avoid being tracked down. Although it's not really needed since most members are out on missions, the base is needed for impromptu and monthly meetings, if that's possible. When he was first introduced to the group, they did not mark him with the emblem until one and a half years later. He spent most of the time training - courtesy aside, it was actually killing - inside the base and as far as he could remember, they moved for at least thirty times in the duration of it especially since there's war and they’re really a hot prize for everyone out there.

After he was marked, his first mission was to assassinate the heiress of District Ortensia. He actually doesn't remember her face but he guessed she's beautiful. Right now, he can't count how many people he’d killed. Moreover, Xiumin since he was a member since he’s nine. He’s shocked that he managed to hide this fact from him for 16 years but he’s not mad. He knew somehow in the back of his mind that a situation like this would happen. Those dark eyes filled with hatred and something more sinister, the upward tilt of his lips when he had beaten someone and the merciless stare he always gave to the guards of Akasha back then is enough sign. He doesn't know why it doesn't give him the chills or reasons to stay away from him, moreover, it just draw him to Xiumin. He wonders if Luhan sees it.

I guess he didn't because if he did, he would not talk about Elysium and ing rainbows and unicorns when Xiumin's past is the opposite of it.

No one knows anything about them, what they experienced, and what they were forced to deal. This moment is where he felt hatred the most. They don't know anything about them so who gives them the right to judge. They don't know anything about Masquerade; they don't know that it's THEM, the reason why there is war. The missions that they carried everyday tell him that change is badly needed. And change is what Masquerade aims.

"Pack your things. We're leaving in a bit." Xiumin's now undressing into something more civilized. To blend in the surroundings, he always says.

"Wait, why? I want to have my beauty sleep, hyung. Can this wait for tomorrow?"

“No. We’re done here so we’re going back. Rest then if we reached Suri.” He put his mask inside his backpack and fixes his bangs that it was now covering his forehead. With that he looked like twenty-ish something and not 27 years old. It was always his perfect disguise. He doesn’t have one, doesn’t even care. It’s not that they’re wanted. That is also the reason why they’re always out on missions since their faces aren’t plastered on walls. Yet.

“Hey, hyung how much pot money do you think will my head be?” he asked him when they’re already walking towards the border of Ruga.

“Hmm.. two cents could do.”

He punched him. Hard. Xiumin winced and he smirked. “You’re head is more rotten than mine! Who would want a dumpling as prize, anyway? I think no one would be even interested in your head.”

“Are you afraid, then?”

“Of what? Oh-hail-Chen is not afraid of anything.”

“Then why are you asking for that pot money? You should expect that since the night you agreed to come with me.” Xiumin’s steps became faster. He blinked and then realized something.

“Aww, my baobei is sulking once again.” He catches up to him and put an arm around his shoulder since he was a bit smaller than him.

“Chen.” He knew that tone so even though he’s still grinning, he detached his arms. He doesn’t want to reach Suri with a missing arm.

“Relax, baobei.” he put up his hands in surrender and to pacify the older. “And to answer your question earlier, I’m not afraid nor regretting what I’ve did three years ago.”

Xiumin stopped mid-way but he just continued walking. It’s true; although many are the times that he was wondering what could have happen if he’d remain at Akasha, would something change? But he’d never regret what he did. To be able to wake up each morning with the person you feel safest the most by your side is definitely worth it.

“Hey, can you walk faster?” he looked back to where the older is only to be halted in his own steps. Illuminated in the full moonlight is the ice mage’s angel-like face staring straight at him. Devoid with his indifference expression yet without a smile but with the gentlest one he ever muster. Chen smiled back after a while.

Yep. Definitely worth it.

--

They reached the border of Ruga and Wall Varia by nine in the morning. The district is strangely scarce of people at the moment so walking without having to wear the thick hood to cover their faces is relatively easy. Walking in those hoods is the last thing he needs in the midst of this scorching August sun. They just need to duck at the right moment when there are Capitol soldiers roaming or if passers-by decided to pay a little bit of attention to them. It's a natural scenario in the midst of war with people only leaving their homes when needed, either to fetch for food or sell something to earn money.

"I guess we'll reach Suri in less than two days if this continues. Less people, less suspicions." He gestured at the slacking soldiers at the gate opening to the districts outside Wall Varia.

"That doesn't give us the reason to let our guards down."

"Yes, mother." he said, sarcastically.

Their banter was cut short when soldiers at the gate started shouting. Hastily grabbing their hoods over their heads, they hurriedly went to the sidelines without any suspicious movements and continued walking. It seems like someone is entering the gate by how the soldiers keep shouting, "Open wider, the carriage won't fit".

More soldiers rushed past them and luckily, they don't seem to mind two persons walking, wearing hooded jackets in the middle of the day. He glanced towards the gate and saw two carriages entering and currently under inspection. He tried to squint the emblem printed on the front of one of the carriage to know what district flag is it but with their distance, it's hard to even see what color it is.

“Round up in the next corner.” he heard Xiumin whispered.

“What?” he looked up in confusion to see a small intersection coming up. He looked back at him questioningly.

“There are only two possible reasons why there are two carriages coming. First, they are the new roster of soldiers to serve Capitol or second, new soldiers to investigate the killings in Ruga. At this time, I’m sure everyone inside Wall Varia had learned it.”

He nodded. “And there’s a possibility that in one of that carriage, a survivor from the killing is in it.” the younger finished sharply.

“Yes. We can’t afford to be found right now in the middle of this freaking heat and my armpits are sweating to the tenth layer of hell.” Xiumin said without even batting an eyelash.

“Did you just crack a joke?” he stared at the elder incredulously. No way!

A sharp nudge in his ribs was the only response. Snorting, he swerved right in the coming intersection just in time one of the carriages whipped past them.

If he could have just look up to satisfy his curiosity of what emblem flag is printed on the carriage’s front, if they could have just turn their heads a bit to the right, they could have seen that the emblem flag is of District Ragna and a pale baby face Lieutenant is currently gazing the outside from the open window of the carriage. If only, but they didn’t. Fate, after all, has a different plan for them.

--

They reached Suri by midnight the next day, where his body is begging for a proper bed and proper food. Xiumin half dragged him in the middle of the way reasoning that once they reached the base they could have their deserved rest than prolonging their misery by stopping over at one of the crumply hotel back in Boran.

As expected, the base, like any other bases they have, was an underground one. It probably expands to almost a hectare or two, a feat discovery of him back in their base in Maria when he decided to explore it in the midst of his boredom. It happened when he was still not marked and his training for the day was already done.

There’s nothing special in it, just a never-ending hallway littered by torches at both sides. There are rooms in between, many actually for the purpose he doesn’t know and understand. One he knew for sure is a room to held hostages of high rankings, one is a weaponry room, and the rest, he thought, are labs of one of their members who think he was the descendant of Newton or Frankenstein. At the end of the hallway (it’s actually a different hallway since the door to this hallway can only be opened by the rose marked on their body) leads to the most significant room in every base: the Conference Room.

The Conference Room only contains a single round table with eleven chairs around it, considering there are only eleven legit members of Masquerade. Actually and originally, Masquerade has only nine members.

Masquerade, according to Xiumin, traces back its roots in District Sao, a ruthless district outside Wall Xero. It was only composed of three people, close friends, who were raised in an orphanage which later was raided and robbed down by rebels. Heechul, the oldest of the three adopted and protected Geunseuk and Hongki from people looking down at badge holders, considering the three of them were labelled ‘dirt’ and ‘taboos’. Little is known of what they have experienced, what cruelties they endured for them to found the organization and recruit members.

Heechul hyung is a gravity badge holder, considered to be one of the most powerful badges. He controls space and although he hasn’t seen him in action, other members claim it’s really dangerous.  He doesn’t doubt it considering Heechul hyung is one hell of a crazy guy. Geunseuk hyung is a crystal badge holder. Like ice, he controls and able to make crystals. But unlike ice where its limit is the absence of water, Geunseuk hyung’s has no limitation.  On the other hand, Hongki hyung’s badge is like Yixing, although his is the one that is actually considered ‘dark badge’. He doesn’t only heal but he resurrects dead people. And once you’re resurrected you fall under his spell. He’s the one that thinks he’s the descendant of Newton or Frankenstein. Xiumin once said that in one of his labs are dead bodies stored. Thinking of it made him shiver.

The first recruit was Hongki’s childhood – com – best friend – com –rival back in his own district and a badge holder also, Yonghwa. From what he sees in their interaction, he doubted they were best of friends, they never agree at a thing except at plotting Geunseuk hyung’s early death. It has become an entertainment for the two of them to see Geunseuk hyung in misery. Yonghwa hyung is a sound badge holder. He controls sound waves and if you decided to get on his bad side, prepare your eardrums to die.

Xiumin was the next recruit at the early age of nine. He doesn’t tell him how he was recruited and what made him do it. He didn’t pry since he knew that Xiumin’s past is one thing that he avoids talking. He, like Yonghwa was also recruited by Hongki hyung. Nickhun hyung was the next to enter. He was actually a disowned duke’s son whose identity he worked hard to hide. He’s the Masquerade’s main connection to every district. He was disowned with the accusation that he killed all his clan members. It wasn’t actually proven but who knows. Nickhun hyung control the badge of a shape shifter. A very convenient badge if you’d asked him. He is the one who’s always sent on spy missions.

The next two recruits were personally brought in by Heechul hyung from one of his escapades. Kikwang hyung and Juniel, the only girl and the youngest – she’s only 16 years old but she has already killed more than he did – were both members of a circus. Kikwang hyung controls the summoning badge and he’s the master of Yoseob. Juniel, on the other hand, is one of the four assassins of the organization, aside from Xiumin and two others. Sometimes, he wonders why it is always the unsuspecting one who gets to do the dirty job. Juniel looks like an angel (but a devil bratty bossy kid who makes anyone’s life a living hell) and Xiumin is well cute, baby faced and all. Juniel is a manipulator.

The last member of the original nine, although not a badge holder, is a deadly one, L. He is the other one of the four assassins. He started working as an assassin for Capitol at the age of ten. His lack of emotions is what made him into Masquerade. He is always paired with Juniel on missions. On the other hand, he and Minhyuk were the last additions in the organization. They trained together although Minhyuk was marked first only after eight months. He was the last one of the four assassins. Minhyuk is the definition of a bloodlust fighter. He, like L, also doesn’t control a badge but for him killing is like his second nature. Don’t be fooled by his smiling face and innocent features.

--

Keying the rose marked on their body, they entered the hallway leading to the Conference Room. Everybody is already present and they were the ones whose last to arrive but considering that L and Juniel are still wearing the assassins’ clothes, they also had just finished their mission. Heechul hyung talked about some plans he decided not to listen to since he’s busy dozing off but he’s pretty sure it’s about the soldiers that Capitols are gathering which are alarmingly getting bigger and bigger in size. After that, they are dismissed and the first thing he did was to find his room. After showering and eating his deserved meal, Chen collapsed in the comfort of his bed. He woke up the next morning around ten in the morning with a neatly folded uniform on his side and a white envelop that for sure contains a letter. After much more fumbling here and there, he lazily opened the letter.

“Next Mission: Prevent the happening of the inauguration of the new soldiers gathering in Camp Uruha in District Celes two day from now.

Partner: Xiumin”