Eleventh Fall

Of Shattered Dreams and Broken Wings

Chapter 11

 

LEGGIERI Town

Capitol Central

 

The town is full of people. Soldiers, merchants and nobilities are milling around the town as if there will be a grand celebration that the Capitol would be hosting. And it makes Chen’s blood boil. Since when did a public execution turned to be a festival-like event? Of course, Capitol would definitely pull this stunt. They had captured a prominent member of Masquerade and to show the whole Alexandria of who has the current upper hand, he must not be surprised anymore.

“Where is Minhyuk right now?”

“Down there at the front gate. In any moment now, they will open the courtyard.”

The two of them – him and Kikwang – had situated themselves at the highest building in the town. Conveniently, it was almost the center of LEGGIERI and that they could see the people swarming below. He’d spotted Minhyuk earlier but lost him in the crowd of nobilities’ carriages.

“Three Capitol Knights are guarding the entrance of the courtyard, two from the palace veranda which I’m sure the place where the king would watch the execution. Juniel would probably be escorted by Capitol Knights also.”

Chen nodded. He’d spotted Yifan as one of those in the courtyard earlier. If all Capitol Knights would be present, it would be a three – versus – twelve. Rescuing Juniel is the main goal but escaping all together is another.

“Who would you summon?”

“Greed and Wrath.”

“Can you?”

Kikwang’s special summons was named after the deadly sins which also represent seven elements. Greed is a water dragon – a booster for his lightning badge – while Wrath is an earth dragon. But summoning two dragons at the same time drains feriel thrice than normal.

“I don’t know but this is the best option we have. Don’t worry about me, worry about your badge.”

“I’m not. I know what I’m doing but just to let you know, a Capitol Knight named Yifan can summon a fire dragon.”

“Then eliminate him first.” The other stared at him. “You can’t?”

And he hated that kind of look. It’s as if he was mocked. “I can.”

“Good.”

And in that moment, cheers of the crowd below them diverts their attention towards the said courtyard. Few royalties were already in the veranda although he can’t still spot the king. The palace gate is now open, a procession of the sorts coming out.

“Ready your badge.”

With the flick of his wrist, the lightning mage’s badge lights up. Brewing a lightning storm takes time so might as well start early.

“I can already see Juniel.”

--

King’s State Room

Capitol Palace

 

The state room only had Junsu and the King when Knight of Two arrived after checking the progress outside.

“The queen safely arrived at the veranda. He was escorted by Four and Five, Your Excellency.” Him Chan gazed at One and the King who was cut off from their talk. The King doesn’t seem to mind.

“Very good. Where is Three?”

“I tasked him together with Twelve to fetch Xiumin from Camp Cravat, Your Excellency. The Red Cell Project would commence immediately after their arrival here. By estimates, Three and his entourage would only take two days of journey.”

The King said nothing but Himchan knew he was pleased by the how thing are progressing now.

“And since that His Excellency is already here, I might as well discuss the recent happening regarding Svein Manor.”

Himchan doesn’t know why the council still hasn’t demolished the Manor. When he left the council to become a Capitol Knight, demolition of the Manor is already in the talks but surprisingly it was not what he expected. But he’s somewhat glad since the Manor had somehow brought Capitol to their past enemies.

“Ah yes. Go on.”

“It was confirmed by the council that soldiers from EXO Division of Camp Akasha has indeed been the one behind the trespass. This had raised few suspicions about the reasons and it all go down to Lee Soo Man, Your Excellency.”

The King nodded. “That traitor.”

“Regarding your request One,” he met Junsu’s eyes, “There was a telekinesis user from the group.”

Yoo chun raised a brow expecting something more. “And?”

“He was one of the two who broke inside the Manor, Your Excellency. This confirms the suspicions more. There is now a bigger possibility that Soo Man had passed the intel to the young boy.”

There was a moment of silent before the king laughed.

“Things seem to go the way you wanted, Your Excellency.”

"What is his name? The telekinesis user." King Yoochun’s eyes had mirth in both of it.

"Lieutenant Lu Han. His father is the former head of Akasha before it was passed down to another."

"His family is one of the upper governments of a Camp. Interesting. How is he related to Soo Man?"

"Nothing of the sorts. That is what his records show. His father may or may not have a noble blood since he came from the upper districts. But Luhan traces his feriel signature same as that of Jaejong."

This has made Junsu snapped his head towards him.

It's true. Many had betrayed Capitol, given up the hope that Alexandria would flourish the same as Altaca. Amongst them, Soo Man who was already dead, Jaejoong had been the second. He was the first and only apprentice of Soo Man, a telekinesis user as well. And now considering that a person named Luhan has been carrying the same signature as the first two traitors, the possibility that the intel was indeed passed to him becomes higher.

The intel itself is special. No one will know that it was passed down to them since the intel forms part of someone's memories. A feat achievement by The Red Cell Project. It's now up to the predecessor if he wanted it to be known to the person he was passing to or not.

"Do you think all of these were pre planned, Your Excellency? The fact that Soo Man and Jaejong's name had suddenly emerged from all this chaos the moment we had captured Lord Minseok? It's nice that everything is going on our way but for these persons to appear all at the same time, it's a bit alarming."

The king tilted his head. "I could see where you are coming, my knight but to pass on this chance is a big mistake as well."

"I understand, Your Excellency. What would you suggest we do? The council wanted to have this Luhan under them. And when I said under, you already had an idea of what the council would do to him."

"I could care less about what the council would do to him. We just need the intel."

"But to do that, Your Excellency, we need to have his trust. Telekinesis users. Their mind is one of the hardest to penetrate and read especially if they have strong will and resolve. It's the reason why we could never extract the intel from Soo Man, after all."

The king stared at him hard. "Then we just need to find his weakness. And I believe everyone has their own weakness."

Lee Soo Man is probably the biggest threat that Capitol had to face. A powerful telekinesis user that can’t only manipulate things but is able to manipulate someone’s mind as well the moment you gave your trust to him. For the past years, after his departure from Capitol, all the activities of The Red Cell Project were stopped. The intel he took along with him holds the most important key to the functioning of the project.

But he has one weakness. The very own reason of his demise. Her daughter who was captured by One himself became the bait for him. A foolish parental love leads him to his death. Telekinesis users are by far the strongest enemies’ one could face but what they don’t know is that telekinesis users greatest opponent is their own will themselves.

“Weakness you say?” Himchan produced a thin envelop and place it on the table between them. “This might interest you, Your Excellency.” He bowed before the two. "I have to go and fetch Lieutenant Lu.”

--

Xiumin knew the moment a Capitol Knight – a different one from before – enter his room that he will be going outside, maybe for a change of prison cell but he did not expect them to put him into a carriage and exits the District – he was actually outside Capitol – and unto the road for days of journey.

He can’t say that he liked what was happening now but he can’t say he doesn’t like it also. He’s sure that they would bring him to Capitol and he hates the fact that there are still missing fragments of his memories. But if this is one way to escape, then be it. His badge which was inactive for few days needs some action anyway. And with the indifferent look that the two Capitol Knights are giving him, they probably don’t know that he’s nobility.

He’s torn between escaping right now – he could actually kill all people inside this carriage if he wanted to – and return to Masquerade to relay the events or just tag along with them to Capitol. He wanted to know everything and even if it seems like Hongki and Heechul had knowledge of his past, he wanted to see it directly by his eyes.

If Capitol is the same as what his memories have, there would still be underground studies – experimentation – going on in one of the biggest estate there. He could remember red cells which housed humans or perhaps badge holders being experimented. He still didn’t know what is the purpose of those experiments are but he remembered tubes and wires being connected to those cells and into one big transparent ball that holds what look like accumulated feriel. He knew that if he wanted to avenge Dongwoo’s death, he’ll start with those red cells.

His mind briefly wandered to Chen. He knew that at this time Masquerade already known what happened to him and Juniel. He just hoped that Chen isn’t doing anything stupid at the moment.

--

“Huh? Excuse me?” Luhan stared confusedly at the handsome man in front of him. It was only then he noticed that the said man was wearing a white badge and he immediately scurried to bow. Zitao , Jongin and Yixing must have noticed his action and are now looking confusedly at the Capitol Knight.

“No need for bowing gentlemen, I only want to talk to Lieutenant Lu Han.” The said man smiled and offered his hand. “I’m Knight of Two Kim Him Chan. The king wishes to talk to you, Lieutenant.”

Luhan doesn’t know what to say. Why is this suddenly happening? The only thing that his mind could conjure is that maybe in some sick and twisted way; did the Capitol know about their trespass on Svein Manor? He could feel the lingering stares of Yixing and the others despite their bodies facing the ongoing ceremony.

Suddenly feeling nervous of the thought of Yixing and the others getting in trouble for that, he found an overwhelming sense of bravery to face the said knight.

“As the king wishes.” He bowed a little and the knight did the same before turning away and walking towards the direction of the palace. He knew Yixing was already looking but he did not dare look back.

Knight of Two had surprisingly brought him to the Kings state room and despite the growing cheers outside, on the courtyard, his heart was beating faster than what it supposed to be.

The King’s State Room only had the King himself and another knight who introduce himself as Knight of One, Kim Jun Su.

“We’re pleased that decided to join us, Lieutenant.”

Luhan didn’t knew where does his new found bravery come from as he open his mouth, “What would the King want from a lowly soldier like me?”

The king seemed to be pleased at his answer. “I would like to offer you something you dearly need gentleman. If you don’t mind, please sit down and let’s talk about it.”

--

Chen gritted his teeth as he watched how those soldiers dragged Juniel from the palace entrance up into the mini stage were her execution would take place. Her arms were bound behind him as well as her feet. They remind him of the chains that he and Xiumin sported back then. There were three soldiers standing just behind her at each on her both sides. She was made to kneel facing the crowd who were even cheering at the moment. The soldier on his right drew a glistening silver sword and that is when he received the signal from Kikwang and immediately alerting Minhyuk down there as well.

“The operation would commence in five seconds.” Activating his badge, Chen started the countdown.

Five

 Four.

Three.

Two.

One.”

--

The whole room rattled and followed with a loud explosion. Immediately, Knight of One had risen up on his chair to approach the king but only to dive down once again when a massive piece of rock had broken down the window and wall, shattered glass flying everywhere.

Luhan, thankfully for his past reflexes deflect all thrown pieces of rocks and glass, had his eyes widen at the sight outside. The wall was broken down allowing everyone in the State Room to have a view of what was happening outside. Two roaring gigantic dragons – with the one raining massive piece of rocks – was flying freely outside just above the courtyard.

“Two, accompany the King to his chamber, quick!”

Himchan had bolted upwards and towards the King and exits the room.

“.” Luhan does not wait any moment and ran towards the opening in the wall. He’s sure that Xiumin is here. Xiumin must have rescued that female Masquerade member. As if completely forgetting what they were just talking a moment earlier, his feet moved towards the big hole in the wall. But even before he could throw himself outside and into the now chaotic courtyard, someone or rather something has latched on his upper arm.

“Let me go!”

“Not until I say so.” Was the stern reply of Junsu. Luhan was momentarily shocked to see a black thing wrapped around his forearm tightly was actually part of the knight’s shadow. Puppeteer and manipulation, it was apparently One’s badge. But he still struggled.

Xiumin is just outside! Xiumin is just few miles away from him and he won’t let this bastard ruin it for him. Raising his hand, he was surprised to feel his body unresponsive.

“It’s best that you should just follow me.” Despite the flying pieces of rocks, Knight of One wasn’t deterred. “Just accept our offer and everything you wanted to know, we will tell you.”

Another massive piece of rock just flew past them but the Capitol Knight still holds his gaze. But Luhan refused to and tried to move his now rigid body.

“If you want, I could even bring Xiumin to you.”

Luhan’s eyes widened, head snapped. His body become slack. “You wanted to capture and bring him back, right?”

“H-how did you know? Why did you knew Xiumin?!”

“Why not? He was once part of Capitol.”

If he could shake his head, he would be doing it fervently right now. “No. No, Xiumin isn’t part of the likes of you, bastard.”

“Now, now, now Lieutenant, that isn’t the right way to talk to someone who could help you have your friend.” He felt his body being squeezed tighter and Luhan had finally noticed the reason why he can’t move is because his shadow is now connected to the knight’s shadow by just being close to him. “I’m telling the truth. He betrayed you right? He did betray us also. But you know what, we have him and in three days you can meet him, that is if you will come with us.”

His mind is already leaping forward too much. He’s already thinking of what he will do if he met Xiumin, of what he will say to him. Of what he can do so that the other can’t have the chance to leave again. His mind is already betraying his body as he felt the knight’s shadow unlatching on his arm as if the latter’s sure he won’t fight back anymore.

But.. This is still wrong.

“Say, Liuetenant? Do you even know his real name? I could tell you that and so many more. What do you say?”

But Luhan said nothing. His action is already enough answer as he let himself get stirred away from the broken room and away from the mess, his mind blank.  Outside, he could see Two waiting like he knew this would already happen.

And he could hear him whisper, “A weakness is a weakness after all.”

--

“Did you find Minhyuk and Juniel already?!” Kikwang shouted from his Water Dragon whose still spewing massive water current.

“No!” Chen tried squinting his eyes to find any trace of s since Minhyuk isn’t responding on his radio phone “. There’s too many badge holders down there.” Darting his eyes left and right back and forth, he catches the silhouette of Zitao who was fast approaching Yifan as the older tried to make his way despite the influx of panicking people. His eyes followed what were Yifan’s so desperate to reach and found Juniel and Minhyuk struggling as well.

“Juniel’s seemed out of feriel! What do we do? She can’t activate illusion at this rate!” He shouted back to Kikwang and at the same time his eyes caught the sight of Zitao fastly approaching the two. He immediately grabbed his radio phone. In any minute now, Zitao would get them in range of his time warp.

“. Minhyuk, a time controller is fast approaching the two of you, incapacitate him! Sixty degrees from you, about twenty meters.”

He could see Minhyuk snapped his head backwards and immediately scurried away, hiding in the bodies of panicking people. Juniel was left alone and west of her, five soldiers are approaching.

“Forty five degress west, Kikwang. I need you to blow water on it.”

Without even removing his glance from Juniel, he flicked his wrist and sends an electric current the same time Greed released some water.

 

 

“Zitao! Yah! Tao!”

Yixing tried as much as he can not to hurt people that swarm past him as he follows Zitao’s frantic pace. When two dragons suddenly appeared out of nowhere minutes after Luhan was escorted to the palace, and when the girl would finally be executed, Jongin had pointed out to them that the soldiers who were to execute the female Masquerade member were already on the ground dead.

After that everything became chaotic. He could hear one shouted “Masquerade’s reinforcement!” just as one of the dragons started throwing rocks unto them and the other one spewing massive current of water. He could see Yifan tried summoning his dragon but was stopped by another Capitol Knight reasoning that the Queen and princes must be first escorted to a safe place.

Jongin immediately vanished beside him and he doesn’t even know where the younger is. Right now, he’s trailing Zitao who was accompanying Yifan in tracking the Masquerade members and they were already close to the two dragons. He knew Junmyeon and the others are also here and they could work together after all their teamwork is good but it’s hard if the enemy is high up there. Untouchable. And just when they need Luhan’s ability.

A shadow darted past him and his eyes widened when it suddenly appeared at Zitao’s back and aimed a knife at his skull.

“Tao!”

Summoning his vines, he tried to grab the said man but his plants gone limp after something hit it. Immediately his head snapped upwards and despite the distance his eyes locked into a pair of amber orbs so frighteningly familiar with him.

Chen had seen his silhouette when he had seen Zitao’s figure as well but he never paid any heed because he knew Yixing hates violence. In that matter of second, Zitao would already be dead if he hadn’t interfered with his damn vines.

“This is getting annoying as hell.” Kikwang maneuvered Greed to a lower altitude just above Juniel. “Activate your ing badge already.”

Glancing back down at still shocked healer, he smirked and raised his hand. Immediately, the sky grew dark, a foreboding sign of impending lightning storm. Now that the ground has been wet enough from earlier assaults of Greed, he doesn’t need much feriel and strong lightning storm. Everyone threading on that ground would be dead by electrocution now that Minhyuk managed to incapacitate Zitao, too bad he hadn’t killed him.

Yixng gritted his teeth anger boiling very quickly the moment he sees the sky darkening. Chen had all the intent to kill everyone on the ground, innocent people as well.

“CHEN!!”                                        

Summoning his vines, his first attempt was a failure, unable to reach the altitude of Chen’s dragon. The sky still continued to rumble.

“ this. I’m summoning Cao Lu, Queen and princes be damned.” He heard Yifan muttered beside him and moments later another massive dragon appeared on the sky.

 

“.” Chen glanced down to where Kikwang is, momentarily ignoring the blaring danger in front of him as Yifan’s dragon roared back to Wrath. Sending dozens of electric waves to where Minhyuk and the others are, forming a circular shield of electricity to anyone who dared to go past it, his balance was slightly thrown off when Wrath swerve right to avoid the massive fire being thrown at them. Still the side of his body was burned; the tingling sensation of burnt skin invades his senses.

“ you.” Sending a strong massive current of electricity together with Wrath’s rocks, Yifan’s dragon sure had a hard time dodging the attack.

Glancing back down, irritated, he could see that Kikwang had manage to get Juniel and Minhyuk up his dragon. Smirking, he let the first of the many electric waves he has down unto the courtyard below. Strings of shouts were soon heard and it felt like music to his ears.

When the first electric wave hit the ground, Yixing had Yifan and Zitao and few more people up his massive trees and although it still doesn’t avoid them Chen’s electricity, it lessen the pain. Woods aren’t the best conductor out there.

Yifan had an unconscious Zitao under his arms and like déjà vu, the scenes of their fight in Uruha flashed back at him. Yixing remembered that he had done nothing but cry and heal everyone. It’s not that he hate his badge but somehow in this kind of situation he wished he had something more stronger, something that could fight back and save more people than his healing could do.

“We can’t let them escape. I can’t hold on for long anymore and Cao Lu would soon disappear.” Yifan muttered beside him breathless. If the dragon tamer was already like this with just one dragon, Yixing can’t imagine how strong that dragon tamer of Masquerade.

“But how?”

“Can you drag at least one dragon preferably one that has Juniel in down?”

“I can’t reach them. I tried it once but they flew too high.”

“Then make this tree we’re currently standing on high enough so that you’re vines could reach them.” there was irritation in Yifan’s voice and Yixing knew it was due to over exertion. “I can’t really hold on much longer anymore and I just couldn’t let those bastards kill innocent people down there.”

Yixing dared looked down and already could see the growing number of dead people. He shut his eyes and activates his badge. As the tree grew upward he suppressed the feeling of emptying his stomach when his eyes lingered on the burnt hand that he’s hundred percent sure belong to a child. He tried suppressing his tears also.

 

Juniel was weak and jelly-like when Minhyuk handed her to him. Chen could feel the bile rising inside him at the thought of what Juniel had suffered inside Capitol. Did Xiumin suffer the same fate as well?

“I need to sent back Greed or else I won’t last long.” Kikwang muttered beside him when he finally left Greed and joined Chen up in Wrath’s back, Juniel safely tucked in the lightning mage arms.

“And how do we deal with this dragon?” Chen pointed out to the still raging fire beast in front of them who was busy deflecting all his electric waves.

“His feriel won’t last long.” Juniel whispered. “Any moments now, that dragon will surely vanish.”

“Well bad for him, good for us.” Kikwang flicked his wrist and then Greed vanished into thin air. “Sent them one of your strongest current and then well be off.”

Chen nodded and maneuvered Juniel so that he could raise his arms up in the air. Yifan’s dragon then disappeared.

“Well, happy roasting.” He happily muttered but instead of electric waves, thick and sturdy vines grasped his wrist and suddenly he was drag back down.

“Chen!” Juniel grasped his hand even before he could fall off the dragon, Kikwang and Minhyuk still shocked at the turn of the events.

The dragon swerved right throwing them off balance.

“I didn’t do anything!” Kikwang shouted. Chen glanced back down and saw that there were vines dragging the dragon’s feet as well. Annoyed, he flicked his free arm sending electricity to the vines and cutting it off making Wrath regain his balance but the pull on his wrist gets stronger and stronger.

Yixing was just few feet down them had a determined look on his face as if telling him that he will not let go of his wrist. Kikwang was running out of feriel as well as him and if this continues all of them would be captured. And he can’t afford that. He won’t be a failure as what others deemed to tell him. The intel, of what Juniel had gathered inside the Capitol must he handed back to Heechul hyung.

And Xiumin. They must return to the base to help save Xiumin. If Juniel could relay what the Capitol had done to her, they could have an idea of where they detained Xiumin.

Wriggling his wrist that was still held tightly by Juniel and now Minhyuk as well, Juniel immediately clamped down on his forearm as if never letting him go.

“Just let go Juniel or we will all be captured.” He hissed at the sixteen year old girl.

“No.” Juniel had these frightened look in her eyes. This is the first time he saw the always cold girl helpless. “They won’t hesitate to kill you!”

“Juniel let go.” Kikwang authoritative voice made the young girl freeze for a moment but then shook her head.

“They will out his feriel and read his mind. Do you understand what would happen if they read our minds? T-there were red cells there. So m-many red cells. In each, contains a human in which their feriel were out of them.” Juniel by now was trembling. “I-it l-looked like… no.. they served as the Capitol’s power supply for everything inside here.”

Another pull on the dragon’s feet had Kikwang cursing out loud. Chen closed his eyes and released a weak signature of electricity in the area where Juniel was holding him tight making the girl jumped out in pain or maybe in surprise and then he was just free falling.

“No. Chen!” Minhyuk and Kikwang were straining to hold her and Chen immediately cut off the vines hold

He just closed his eyes not wanting to see s fly away. After all, it’s time to face his past. He’s not alien to being experimented and had his feriel out of him. If Xiumin can’t provide him the answers to the story of his past then he might as well look for it himself. He just wished that Xiumin was found by s by this time. At least it gives him sense of security that in a way someone will come and save him. Save him from the possibility of the reopening wounds of his past.

Not far from him, he could hear Yixing’s frantic shout of his name. What a way of his past welcoming him open arms.


A/N: There’s not much to say except that Chenlay and Xiuhan would soon met and the contents of the OFFER of the king and his minions would be revealed in the next chapter. Well just enjoy reading and leave this poor author some love ^^