First Fall

Of Shattered Dreams and Broken Wings

CHAPTER 1

 

Luhan had always known what he wanted to be when he grows up. He would be like his father. Just and fair. In a world where they are beyond ‘ordinary’, people are looking at them with disdain in their eyes like they were a taboo in this realm. Well, they really are considered taboo. People with extraordinary powers and ability are not supposed to exist. And so, they are driven to isolation.

AKASHA.

A military camp where people like them are confined. His father would always scold him whenever he used that term.

“We aren't confined Han, this is needed for the balance of this realm.”

He always snorted his response, sometimes mumbling, 'they hate us' or 'they don't care about us'. It's not until he was 8 years old, a walk outside the camp opened his eyes. People are dying outside out of hunger, with desperate acts to survive and even going for killing spree just to satiate their needs. Akasha is not actually a confinement. But for him, it is still. His father said that they are actually the remaining authority, the force that held their district intact. People depend on them because they are more capable.

“Luhan, you think you can handle this work when you’re of the right age?” He had asked him one day after their walk outside the camp. He was surprised in the least but the hope in his father's eyes only fuelled his curiosity. And so he answered the way the question is supposed to be answered.

"I.. um.. I think I can." His father ruffled his hair a little bit hard.

"I must." Was only the response.

"Huh?"

"I must. That's the right answer Han. Not just because you can but you wanted to."

"Why?" he found himself asking.

"Peolple need us. I know some still saw us as taboo but if we didn't give up in showing and proving to them our worth, we can be a great help to them. I still believe that there is world out there that is full of promises just like what your mother hoped."

If this day was like any other day, Luhan would have frown at his father's choice of words. He rarely speaks like this. But he knew better. His mother died after she gave birth to him but father said she leave a hope, a wish that someday her son would see the world where everyone is equal and contented. Since then, this has become his father's dream.

"I must." he said after a while. Even without conviction, at that moment, he already knew what he wanted to do. His mother's dream which eventually became his father's has morphed into something his own.

Indeed, a world where everyone is equal and contented.

--

 

His father's inspiration of his dream was his mother.

“Dreams are more realistic if you have something or someone worth fighting for, Han.”

He’d met his for the first time in the scorching heat of July when he was twelve years old. Deciding that messing with his father's office is much more enjoyable than playing with the same-age children inside the camp, he decided to pay him a visit. As usual, his father tried to drive him away but decided he’s too stubborn for his own good. He warned him not to touch anything on his table when he left to get him something to eat. Of course, Luhan know when to mess and when to behave. Besides, he wanted to learn more of the Akasha’s system and his powers. Although he hasn’t shown any signs, his father assured him that once he enters the academy, he will surely know what ability he has.

His father's room is spacious maybe because it lacks of things. His table is situated at the middle with a large window and red thick curtain draped on it at the back. The curtains are half drawn, to shield the room from the sunlight. On the left side was a huge bookshelf housing what it seems like thousands of books. His father is a spell user so he needs to read as many books as he can. Beside the bookshelf was a lone fortune plant in an antic flowerpot. It's probably his Mom's. On the right is a vast wall with different papers posted on it. He can't read some since it was written in other languages. The papers posted are mostly maps of their district, he thought. There are also pictures of people with strange captions below that he did not bother reading. Lastly, grazing the marble floor is a purple carpet free of dust. His father is perfectionist.

Walking towards the large glass window, he tried his best to open the curtain a bit wider but with his strength or the lack thereof, he only managed a small opening. His father should let more sunlight in. It’s more refreshing that way and besides Akasha is probably the most beautiful place in their district. Places like that should be admired every day. Pressing his right cheek on the glass, he tried his best to connect with the nature outside but his attention was caught by something or rather someone.

A boy probably his age or younger, Luhan can’t clearly tell since he was facing him on his side, is standing below a mahogany tree just right in front of his father’s office window. He has pale skin, slightly chubby and short stature. He was craning his neck up, two hands forming circle on his mouth, a perfect imitation of someone shouting. Luhan looked up and was surprised to see a younger boy perched on the tree branch. He seemed to be crying with the way he was rubbing his face and cheeks. He pressed his cheek more on the window as if attempting to hear what they are talking about. But their actions gave way. It seems like the older boy is convincing the younger one to get down. When the boy on the tree only shook his head, the pale boy open his arms as wide as he can get as if telling the other ‘I will catch you, come on’.

But wait, why are they on the yard, more importantly why is the other one on the tree? Didn’t they know that they will be scolded when they are found? But the more pressing matter is that why are they wearing that kind of clothes? Chains are clasped on both of their ankles, wide enough to allow walking. The same thing is on their wrist and neck. The chains are almost black that it contrasts with their white jumpsuit.

In the middle of their argument, the older somehow manage to convince the other to jump off the tree but since the less mobility the chains gave him, he wasn’t able to properly catch the other. They stumbled on the grassy ground, nonetheless, laughing. It amused him of how despite their situation, it seems like it’s easy for them laugh. But Luhan did not miss on how the older ones eyes dart back and forth as if checking the surrounding for a sign of another being. He, suddenly, felt the urge to hide behind the curtain. When the younger look up at the chubby boy expectantly, the latter easily managed to compose his expression and broke into a wide smile, eyes forming crescents. After awhile, gaining their balance back, they immediately fled out of the yard.

Luhan think it’s a little bit unfair of how innocent people like them are experiencing this kind of situation. At the back of his mind, he could hear his father’s distinct voice.

“In the world we are in today, Han, everything is fighting for power and innocent people are always the victims. I wish I could change that.”

Suddenly, he found himself wishing also. Not just for the two kids he saw earlier but to the whole mankind. But specifically, to the pale boy with crescent eye smile. When his father returned with some cookies and chocolate drink, he did not tell him what he saw afraid that the two kids will be scolded but Luhan’s really itching to ask why they are dressed like prisoners.

The days passed by fast but he never saw them again. Almost every day he visits his father’s office and stares through his window for hours hoping they would magically appear right below the tree. Other days, he found himself sitting in the bench across the same tree. He wanted to see them, help them, and tell them that there is hope, that he and his father are willing to help them but that opportunity never comes.

It was until he was 17 years old, old enough to enter the training academy, that he met him again; the boy with the crescent eye smile. It was only a few days after the start of school and Luhan was still familiarizing with the campus. Although he lived all his life inside Akasha, he never had the chance to enter the academy, besides security is very strict here. Walking aimlessly in the hallway trying to find the Weaponry Room, he stumbled upon three students. They were chatting really noisily or rather the one with ears sticking out like an elf talked loudly. His two companions on the other hand, seemed to be used with his behaviour. Luhan would have just walked past them if not for that unmistakably crescent eye smile of the shortest boy. It turns out to be that they are actually classmates. He learned for the first time his name, which is Xiumin, and that he really likes smiling.

He spends most of his time talking to Xiumin about what he wanted, of how he would create a world full of happiness and better promises. Xiumin never talks or comments about it, just smiles at him comfortingly as if encouraging him to go on. Sometimes, an odd comment, ‘You’re as pure and as noble as your dream Luhan ah’ was thrown in between but he knew it came from his heart.

He never dared to ask about that day back in the summer of July when he first saw him. Why was he in chains and in prisoner’s clothes? He was afraid that it will remind Xiumin of his past and it’s the last thing he wanted. He wanted the young boy to hope just like how his father hoped. He also never asked about the other boy, the one perched on the tree.

They easily became close friends. Luhan refused to call him his best friend since people say that the term ‘best friend’ is only an exaggeration. They share the same habit, same taste in food and although he’s not as talkative as Chanyeol, Xiumin has his way of words. He was always there whenever he was bullied for being a son of the lieutenant and that he’s sure to graduate since he has someone to back him up. It was those moments that Luhan knew the world he’d only see in his dreams does really exist. Xiumin is his brother, his friend, his confidante and partner.

In the academy, Luhan also finally learned his ability. Here, they call it ‘badge’. Telekinesis is his. Their classmates were awed at it saying that telekinesis is a rare power and only those persons who have strong mind set and focus can yield it. Past telekinesis’ users either gone insane or kill themselves. Telekinesis, they say is somewhat related to telepathy.

Despite their praises, he thought that he’s really not that powerful. For once there’s Yixing’s power that he envied sometimes. Yixing can heal and control plants as he pleases. The smile on his face whenever he has healed someone had Luhan wished he had the same ability in some way. And then there’s Xiumin’s frost. The one considered as the most beautiful badge in the academy. Equally beautiful like him. But in some way, he’d notice that Xiumin hates it when people refer him like that. The slight downturn of his lips and the sudden dullness in his usually smiling eyes is always present whenever his badge is the topic. But he never had the chance to ask him about it.

His days in academy went by with his friends around him and Xiumin beside him, helping him to realize ‘Elysium’. They, Xiumin and him, named the world full of happiness, Elysium. He thought he could already see the clear path ahead of him but he was blinded by his own wishes and desires. In the last year of their stay in the Academy, two young boys were squeezed in their class. He really didn’t mind the changes, besides the two additions were really pretty cool and their badges were also cool. Baekhyun, the light wielder easily became friends to Kyungsoo, Sehun and Zitao, much to the frustration of Jongin. The other student Chen is a holder of the lightning badge. They never really heard badges like lightning so they really were amazed. Chen easily became friends with Chanyeol, Yixing and Junmyeon. Hell even Yi Fan with the face is somewhat gentle on him. They easily fit into their group and soon after they were already planning their graduation.

He did not notice what was off until it became too late, until Elysium was turned into another fantasy.

--

“XIUMIN!!”

Luhan jolted upward from his slumber; his harsh puff of air disturbs the silence of the night. For a moment he had the urge to ask himself, ‘where am I?’ since even his room doesn’t feel like his own. He can’t seem to recognize the mahogany bedside table, the grandfather’s clock, the indigo curtain, the red carpet and even his bed sheets felt foreign on his bare chest.  Another nightmare yet it was still the same. Everytime he dreams, it was always him, his crescent eye smile, his tiny teeth, and his high pitched laugh and then it suddenly turns into dull eyes, expression of indifference and the disdain etched on his face. It was forever carved in his brain as if reminding him mockingly that Xiumin is no longer by his side and that Elysium will never happen.

Raking his hand desperately on his messy hair, Luhan glances at the grandfather’s clock only to saw the calendar beside it. Three years, three ing years had already passed since Xiumin disappeared. He refused to use the word ‘left’ because he didn’t want to believe that the other can just easily forget the 7 years of their friendship. Hell, he even wanted to be his friend ever since that summer of July when he was only twelve years old. But he left. Xiumin left on the night before the war broke up. He glanced towards the direction of his window. The sun is still in hiding, well it’s only 3 in the morning anyway but he’s sure that out there, people are still raging war. War between the government and Masquerade, the group that Xiumin left for. They want to overthrow the government by killing as many people as they could.

How does that even work, huh, Xiumin?!

When the news that Masquerade had broken into Camp Akasha, it easily spread like wildfire between its inhabitants. He was 24 years old at that time and just came back from patrolling the outside district. Badge holders were automatically summoned to the auditorium for brief orientation of the current situation before being dismissed to their own division.

Junmyeon, the current leader, called a brief meeting for their division, EXO, and it was only then he noticed Xiumin was not present. Panicking, thinking that Masquerade went for Xiumin’s badge; their division forget protocol and immediately went to search for him. He immediately went for his and Tao’s shared room and he was beyond shocked of what he’d saw. The room was a mess. No it was chaos. The walls are tattered, bed sheets are torn into pieces and you can’t even recognize single furniture. With shaky hands, he pulled his radio to report the situation but Yixing’s shaky voice beat him.

“P-please.. please search Chen also. F-find Chen. Chen.. his room i-is a mess.” Yixing broke into sobs. It’s not already a secret to them that Chen and Yixing shared a deeper relationship more than anybody else. Junmyeon’s voice suddenly boomed in the speaker.

“Calm down, Yixing ah. Luhan, are you there?”

“Yes.” he manage to squeak out even though he feel like crying already. Yixing though doesn’t stop. He can still hear his broken sobs from the speaker.

“Did you find Xiumin?”

“No.” It came out shaky but he willed himself to continue. Xiumin and Chen were strong to handle this. “His and Zitao’s room is chaos. Tattered walls and broken furniture.”

“It made sense. Ice and lightning mages were extinct and Masquerade’s probably after the last ones. Broke out.  Search every corner, protocol be damned.” And with that Junmyeon is off. He immediately scrambled to his feet and bolted outside the room with a single question in his mind.

Xiumin, where are you?

It’s already an hour and Xiumin and Chen’s nowhere to be found. Camp Akasha is wide, really wide and it’s the first time he’s getting frustrated with that fact. Clasped tightly in his right hand is his radio, praying everytime it rattles, a good news is on the way. But it’s always Yixing asking if they have found any of them. He started to get desperate, flying objects that are in his way. His eyes started to water and he’s afraid that he’ll finally break into sobs. Five minutes later, Sehun’s voice boomed in the speaker.

“Guys, my wind has finally caught their scent.” Was Sehun’s breathless words. “They are together, Xiumin hyung and Chen hyung, but they are also with two more people. I already assumed the worst that the two are Masquerade members.”

“Where are they?” he and Yixing almost shouted simultaneously. Sehun doesn’t even seem to bother.

“Faster, hyung. They’re getting near the border of our district and into the woods and my wind can barely pick their scent up. Southwest.” And with that Sehun was also off to go after them.

“.” He did not even bother sealing his mouth. Then, he was stunned for a moment when a hand clamped his waist and he was thrown into darkness. It was until he gained some balance that he noticed he was already in the entrance towards the woods. Beside him is a breathless Jongin holding Yixing on his other side. Teleportation. Before he could utter his thanks, he pushed the two of them into the woods.

“Go for them. Sehun is already on his way here. I’ll bring Junmyeon hyung and the others. Faster hyung.” They both nodded and made a run to the forest.

“We’ll bring them back, Yixing-ah, so stop crying already.” He willed himself to sound a little more convincing. They badly need it.

With the help of Yixing’s ability to control plants, they were now a step away from them. Jongin materializes beside him holding Junmyeon and Zitao. A moment later, Sehun side steps to Yixing, a little breathless than he was supposed to be.

“Where are the others?” He managed to ask.

“I temporarily left the leading to Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They will do best. I believe in them. Right now we have another pressing matter to handle. Sehun what are their coordinates.”

“I can’t pinpoint them exactly but probably, no possibly 10 to 15 kilometers before the waterfall.”

All nodded. The waterfall in question is the landmark where the boundary of their district lies from the other. They can’t let them pass the waterfall since stepping into the territory of another district is strictly prohibited unless there is permission from their higher authority.

“Faster guys.” Yixing desperately whispered.

“I’ll go ahead then since now I can clearly picture their location.” Jongin offered.

“Take me with you. You can’t handle two people at a time.” He offered. Jongin only nodded.

“Mask your presence hyung, they might detect us easily.” Jongin whispered before they disappeared. He nodded and closed his eyes.

Xiumin, Chen, we’re here to get you back.

Upon opening his eyes, the first sound that registers in his mind was the sound of falling water. The waterfall! His eyes immediately snapped towards where the sound was coming from only to be pulled back by Jongin.

“Hyung.” He said sternly before pointing straight forward. His eyes followed Jongin’s fingers and then immediately landing on the four figures standing on their backs to them in a huge living rock formation that opens up to the waterfall.

“I’ll be right back. Don’t do anything drastic hyung, and remember, mask your presence.” He nodded absentmindedly, just staring at the four figures few feet away from him. If he wanted to, he could just lift Xiumin and Chen or talked to their minds like what they used to do before but he’s afraid they were under the control of the Masquerade since surprisingly they were not chained or bound off like what hostage takers do to their hostages.

He patiently waited for Jongin to get back and not a minute later, he materializes beside him holding Junmyeon and Zitao at both of his sides. Seconds later, Sehun together with Yixing lands on the other side with Sehun getting more breathless.

“Sehun ah, are you okay?” He asked him. Sehun, unlike Jongin, wasn’t a teleporter so in order to move fast, he needs to maximize his badge. He knew it places a great toll of exhaustion on the user’s body.

“Don’t mind me. Just focus, hyung.”

“Well, for once they are not chained.” Zitao spoke beside him.

“Yeah. I’ve noticed. It is probably an ability of one of the Masquerade member.”

“What are we going to do?” Yixing asked.

“Zitao, get in range with them and try to stop the time.” Junmyeon tapped his shoulder.

“Okay, I got it.” But even before Zitao could move forward, one of the Masquerade members turn around, his gaze, boring into them. It rendered them all frozen, not because it’s his ability or something but because of the strong malice clearly swimming in his red orbs.

“Oh~ Look what we have here, hyung~” the man grabbed the sleeve of the slightly taller male. The one referred turned his body around along with Xiumin and Chen, now all four facing them.

Immediately, his gaze searched Xiumin’s and without another second he found his. But what he saw made him halt in his step, cold shiver running down his spine. The ice mage’s expression was the coldest he’d ever seen from him. No, the coldest he’d ever seen in a person. His face was blank and for a moment he thought he wasn’t looking at him. Is this the special ability of their captors?

“Chen!!” He heared Yixing’s desperate call and he momentarily drew his gaze away from Xiumin’s only for his eyes to widen. Yixing was summoning his vines towards Chen in attempt to grasp his body and pulled him back to them. But what shocked them the most was that in just a simple flick of the wrist; Yixing’s plants go limp in the ground.

All electrocuted.

Electrocuted.

Electricity.

Lightning. Only one is known for that badge. Only Chen.

Zitao immediately jumped forward only to fall back when someone kick him hard on his gut that made him cough some blood. But that move, that specific kick can only be done by one person. Only Xiumin.

--

He shakes his head as if to erase that night’s memories while falling back to bed.

Luhan. You. Must. Forget. But you know you can’t, right? It’s the night that something has been taken away from him because of those harsh words spoken.

 “I’ve never known you were so attached to us that you’ve come all the way just to see us off, Yixing ah, Junmyeon hyung, Zitao, Jongin, Sehun and Luhan ge.” Chen raised his delicate brow. “Wow! You actually brought half of the division. Ah~ I’m flattered.”

“Chen! What’s the meaning of this?!” Junmyeon shouted.

“Is it not obvious? They are leaving you, guys~” the taller Masquerade member smiled mockingly.

Leaving.

He never thought Xiumin was capable of leaving them, him and their dreams. It hurts. He had to admit that it really hurts. He felt betrayed, all of them felt betrayed. But what hurts the most is that at the end of the day, it his smile, Xiumin’s comforting words and soothing touches that he’s looking for.

“How? Why? Xiumin?!” It’s only the time he managed to find his voice. Looking up at him, he tried to search for answer in Xiumin’s eyes but his walls remained solid.

“Hyung, I told you so. Luhan-ge will cry a river of tears if you left him. Like a child clinging for something that is not even in there in the first place? What was it again?”

“Elysium.” Xiumin’s first word and it sounds unlike him.

“Yeah, ing Elysium.” Chen’s cold voice reverberated in his whole system.

He blinked back the tears. Not only his words hurts like hell but also the truth behind it.

“You keep on telling me your dreams, Luhan, but do you even know mine? You really don’t know me at all. No. You knew nothing of me.”

From that day on, something has died inside him. The hope, the fire that his father once ignited was now gone. Everything around him now screamed war. 

Mother, I am sorry. It’s my entire fault.

He’s been blinded that he forgot to notice something was off. Maybe he’d take notice of it but paid no heed. When Chen and Baekhyun were squeezed in their class, everyone easily grow accustomed of them. Everyone except Xiumin. He never saw him and Chen talk to each other but the gazes they threw to each other when they thought no one was watching was another story. Of course it was, since Chen was the (in) famous boy perched on the three with chains all over his body back in that summer of July.