--6;

T e n t h
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID2] CHAPTER 6 [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID1]

Saturday comes in a blink of an eye. That morning, I find myself waking up earlier than usual and take a shower longer than usual. I scrubbed my skin clean and spent the rest of the morning picking out clothes. Just then, I realized that most of my clothes are formal looking shirts and the t-shirts I only wear at home.

In the end, I settled for a dark brown sweater and a pair of black jeans. I stir my morning coffee calmly, wondering when was the last time I am actually looking forward for an activity that requires me to be outside of my apartment. If it weren’t for Kris, I would be sitting in front of my laptop all day finishing my job and then pestering Director Jung to give me more work.

After some minor cleaning around my apartment, the clock finally strikes 2.30. I get dressed up and walked out of my apartment to the coffee shop. It’s the only coffee shop around my neighborhood which is odd since coffee shops these days spread like a plague. When one opens in a certain area, in one or two weeks, there will be a different coffee shop opening in that certain area.

I enter the coffee shop and indulge myself in the scent of roasted coffee. I have a habit to be early at least ten minutes for every single of my appointments and today I arrived fifteen minutes early. Five minutes later, the bell on the door chimes softly and it turns out to be Kris. He looks around and smiles at me when he spots me.

Kris pulls out a chair and sits across me, his lips is brandishing his carefree grin I’ve never seen before.

“Sorry, did I make you wait for too long?”
“No. I was early,”

He nods briefly.

“I am going to order a cup of coffee. Would you want some?”

I gnaw my lower lip nervously. I am not ready to drink something that I did not make myself. I shook my head. He stops at his track and looks at me, his gaze is way too serious for an outing like this.

“You haven’t tried to do this?”
“I..”
“I’ll buy two cups of coffee. I think this is a perfect time for you to try this, okay?”

He stands up even before I replied. I watch him as he buys us two cups of coffee. He settles one cup in front of me before he sips his coffee slowly. I stare at the coffee for a long time. I watch the way the wisps of steam escaping from the small opening of the lid. The warm scent of the coffee is alluring me to take a sip or two but I can’t stop wondering if the barista disinfect his hand before he makes the coffee or if the cup is hygienic.

I curl my fingers around the cup, the warmth of the coffee radiates to my hand. I relaxed my shoulders, lifting up the cup to my mouth. The steam of the coffee goes straight into my nose and fills my lungs. I spare a brief glance to Kris and he is pretending as if he is not expecting me to sip the coffee, his gaze is fixed on the screen of his phone.

One sip and everything will be slightly normal for me. I stare at the lid of the coffee and I can see filth crawling all over it. My breath hitched and suddenly I can feel my throat closing up. There’s a dull ache at the back of my head and my vision gets blurry. I dropped the coffee, spilling the hot beverage all over the table and some of it splashed to my thigh.

I didn’t do anything. I can feel the hot liquid seeping through my jeans and burning my skin. Kris’ first instinct was to stand up, I can hear distant gasps and squeaks from other customers who saw us. My chest tightened, I suddenly can’t breathe. I clutched my sweater and my breaths come out in harsh and rough pants.

“Junmyeon..!”

+++

I open my eyes and cringe at the sharpness of the lamp above me. I twist and turn, groaning pitifully at the discomfort on my thigh.

“Are you awake, Junmyeon?”

I turn to my side and see Kris sitting cross-legged on the couch. He stands up and walks to my side.

“You had a panic attack, you spilt your coffee to yourself and you burnt yourself. It’s not bad but I’m very sorry about it.. If I hadn’t—,”
“Kris, it’s okay. Thanks for bringing me here,”

Kris still looks uneasy, I flash him a smile. I still feel lightheaded.

“They had to take off your gloves too,”

I nod absently.

“Your hands are healing, Junmyeon. I am proud of you,”

I look up at him an

Please log in to read the full chapter