Chapter 2

Young-ae's Ghost

"Omma, I'm going to marry Jin-wook." Young-ae excitedly bounced in front of her mother who was making dinner.

"What are you talking about?" she asked.

"It's true. We decided to get married to celebrate our hundred days together."

Her mother looked up at her from the fish she was cleaning. "Does that make sense? You have only been together for three months."

"But we've been friends for over sixteen years."

"Young-aeya, there's a difference between a friendship and a marriage." Her mother said gently.

"But Omma, you always said that I should be my husband's best friend. It just so happens that I want to marry my best friend."

"Young-aeya..."

"Omma, please just say yes. Eo? Chebal."

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Omma, just trust me." She hugged her mother and her mother sighed.

*************************************************************************************************************

"Where are we going to live?" Young-ae asked Jin-wook.

They laid in his bed, head facing each other and their legs in opposite directions.

"I saw a house not too far from the campus, and the price is good. Should we move in immediately we get married?"

Young-ae nodded vigorously and sat up suddenly. "I'm so excited."

"Are you that happy?" Jin-wook laughed.

"You have no idea. For years I thought I was going to be alone because I was stuck in a one-sided love. But it turns out I'm not."

"I'm sorry it took me so long to get here."

She reached down and cupped his face. "It doesn't matter. All that matters is we're going to spend at least fifty years together as a married couple, in love till we are old and grey."

"Yeah, that sounds nice."

******************************************************************************************************************

They held a small ceremony in the backyard of Jin-wook's parents house, with only their family and friends in attendance. Since they were still students and still had to go to school, they decided to postpone their honeymoon until their graduation. They moved into their small one bedroom house and started their life together as a couple.

"Jin-wookah!" Young-ae called from the bathroom.

Jin-wook was sitting at the table finishing up his project. "Wae!"

"Palli wa!" She called back to him.

He went to the bathroom and saw her sitting on the toilet. "Wae?"

Young-ae shoved a stick in his face as an answer.

"What is this?"

"What do you mean 'what is this'? Pabo anya? It's a pregnancy test."

"And?"

"I'm pregnant stupid."

Jin-wook slumped against the wall of the bathroom. He couldn't believe it. "Pregnant? How are you pregnant?"

"What kind of question is that? Did I make the baby by myself?"

"You can't be pregnant. We can't have a baby right now. We're still in school." His voice was slowly rising.

"You think I don't know that! I have my whole life ahead of me. I haven't even started my career, I haven't achieved a thing in my life." Her voice was rising to match his.

They were both shouting now.

"Well, what are we going to do about it?"

"I don't know. Oh my God!" Young-ae got off the toilet and walked angrily out of the bathroom leaving Jin-wook dazed and confused.

Later that night, they laid in bed, backs turned towards each other. Neither of them able to sleep.

"Young-aeya, are you sleeping?"

"No."

"Let's talk."

He turned her toward him and saw that her cheeks were wet. "Why are you crying?"

"I feel like a terrible person."

"What are you talking about?"

"Let's have an abortion."

"What?!"

"Jin-wookah, we're only 22 years old. We're barely earning enough to take care of ourselves. We can't afford to take care of a baby too."

"What about our parents? We can ask them for help."

"Kim Jin-wook, we can't do that. We are already independent from them. We can't keep running back home every time we have a problem. Besides, this has nothing to do with our parents, it's our decision." She said desperately.

"Are you sure about this? Are you sure you want to have an abortion?"

"Do we have any other choice?"

"I guess not."

He pulled her close as she started crying heavily.

"I'm sorry Jin-wookah."

"Ey, we can always try again when we're ready."

Jin-wook and Young-ae felt conflict, even though they were married they weren't ready to raise a family. They were too young, it was too soon.

 

Author's note: Hi. So, how's the story so far? People are being confused and wondering if this is a minshin story, if you notice the title is 'Young-ae's Ghost' and I think that pretty much gives the story away, right? Hang in there folks, I'm coming to a point,