Chapter 12

Young-ae's Ghost

Jin-wook walked into his hotel room and promptly removed his tie and tossed it on the bed. He reached for the phone he had forgotten in the room that morning to check if he had any messages. He saw that the battery had drained from being on for so long and plugged in his charger and turned it on while he undressed. When he was done, he picked up his phone and saw ten missed calls, three from Su-jin and seven from Ha-na. He also saw that he had two messages from Ha-na. A feeling of unease settled in his chest, “did something happen?” he wondered. He listened to the first message. “Jin-wookssi, Su-jin is in the hospital and she needs surgery. I tried calling but you weren’t answering so I filled out the forms myself and listed myself as her guardian. I’m sorry. Please call me when you get this message.” He hurriedly put his clothes back on and packed his things. He then rushed out and tried to stop a taxi, several agonizing moments later, one finally stopped. “To the domestic airport please, as quickly as you can.” He said. Luckily for him, the traffic was very light since it was already quite late. He played back the second message and he heard Ha-na’s voice again. “She’s already in the operation room, the doctor said the operation would take about three hours and that it wouldn’t be too complicated.” He heard her sigh before she continued, “I really hope you can get back to me as soon as possible.” He gripped his phone tight as he thought about his daughter. How is it that his daughter fell sick on the one day he was away from her? He laid his head against the back rest and willed the driver to go even faster. He sent up a silent prayer that she would be fine.

 

Ha-na paced in front of the operation room, it has been almost two and a half hours since Su-jin was wheeled into surgery and she still hadn’t received any news. She stopped pacing just as she saw Yoo-ah walk into the hospital building followed by Kang-min. She had called Yoo-ah to tell her about Su-jin’s surgery and Yoo-ah had said she’d come as quickly as she could.

“Ha-naya, kwaenchana? What’s going on?” Yoo-ah asked.

“Su-jin has appendicitis, the doctor hasn’t come out yet. Good evening Kang-minssi.” Ha-na inclined her head towards him.

“Are you okay?” He asked worriedly.

“I’ll be fine once I see the doctor.” She replied.

“What about Jin-wook, any word from him yet?” He asked again.

“I’ve tried calling him but there was no answer.” She replied and began to pace again. Yoo-ah grabbed her by the shoulders and steered her towards one of the chairs.

“Relax, Su-jin will be fine.” Yoo-ah said while rubbing Ha-na’s arms.

“I should have noticed. She was fine this morning, what happened?” Ha-na said.

“It’s not your fault Ha-naya, just calm down. These things happen.” Yoo-ah said as she held her friend. Ha-na had no tears to cry but her heart felt heavy. ‘This must be what being a mother feels like.’ She thought to herself, she wished she could go into the operating room and demand an answer from the doctor. ‘Please let Su-jin be okay, please.’ She prayed.

 

Jin-wook got to the airport and was told that there were no available flights back to Seoul yet as everything had been booked solid.

“It’s an emergency, please isn’t there anything you can do?” he asked.

“I’m sorry sir. We could place you on a waiting list but the next available flight is tomorrow morning at 7 a.m.” The man at the counter replied. Jin-wook sighed and gave the man his details before he went to sit on one of the chairs. He couldn’t afford to leave the airport just in case a flight opened up before morning. He glanced at his watch, it was only 9:15 p.m. He sighed again then pulled out his phone and dialed Ha-na’s number. She picked up on the first ring and breathed quietly before speaking.

“Yeobseyo.” She said.

Jin-wook could hear the fatigue in her voice. “Ha-nassi, I’m sorry I’ve been out of touch all day. I left my phone in the hotel room while I was out working.”

“I’m glad you’re okay.” She replied again.

He heard her stifle a yawn. ‘She must be tired.’ He thought to himself. “What happened? What’s wrong with Su-jin?”

“When are you coming back?” She asked.

“I couldn’t get a flight back to Seoul tonight, so I’m on the waiting list for the first flight in the morning.”

“Su-jin has appendicitis, she’s currently in the operating room but I suppose the operation should be over soon. They said three hours and time is almost up.” She replied.

Jin-wook took a deep breath and released it. “I’m sorry Ha-nassi, you’re going through all this trouble because of Su-jin.”

Ha-na felt pain stab her heart. “It’s no trouble, why would you say such a thing?” She couldn’t help but feel offended.

“I mean, I ask you to watch her for me this one time and this happens. You must be so tired and shocked.” He replied.

Ha-na scrunched up her face and moved away to a corner so she could talk to him alone. “I don’t understand Jin-wookssi. I’m not doing this out of any feeling of obligation if that’s what you mean, I’m doing this because I love Su-jin truly. I’m not shocked or tired, my heart hurts because I can’t do anything for her right now. My heart hurts because she was in so much pain and all I could do was hold her hand and tell her it’d be okay even if I didn’t believe it. I’m not doing anything I don’t want to do.”

“Ha-nassi, please calm down. I’m sorry if my words offend you but you couldn’t do anything more than you’ve already done.”

Ha-na sighed, she realized she was being irrational. “It’s been a long day Jin-wookssi, I didn’t mean to snap at you. Please have a safe trip back.” She said and hung up.

Jin-wook stared at his phone for a few minutes and wondered why Ha-na felt offended suddenly.

 

Ha-na rested against the wall trying to collect her thoughts when her friend came up to her.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“I just spoke to Jin-wookssi.”

“What did he say?”

“That he’ll be back in the morning, there are no flights tonight.”

“Is that why you look so glum?”

“I think my heart just broke.”

“Say what now?”

“Jin-wookssi thinks I’m here because I feel guilty about Su-jin being sick on my watch.”

“Did he actually say that?”

“More or less. I don’t know how he can’t see that I love Su-jin too, he’s not the only one who loves her.”

“Well, he is her father, I don’t know that anyone can love Su-jin like him.”

“So I don’t love her just because I’m not her mother?” Ha-na frowned.

“That’s not what I meant. Did you misunderstand him like this too?” Yoo-ah pushed her hands up in front of Ha-na. “The way you sound, it doesn’t even seem like this is about Su-jin anymore.” Yoo-ah said.

Ha-na finally figured out why she was so angry with Jin-wook.

“I get it now, it’s Jin-wookssi. I’m upset because of him.” She said.

“I’m not following you.” Yoo-ah said.

“Jin-wookssi is pushing me out of his life and by extension out of Su-jin’s life too. He doesn’t want me to get close to him or Su-jin that’s why he thinks everything I do for her is out of obligation.” Ha-na replied with a sigh.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Yoo-ah asked.

“Whenever he wants to ask me to do something for Su-jin he always words it as a request to a stranger. He doesn’t seem to understand that I want to be a part of her life too. I’m being stupid, I think I should just stop.”

“Stop what?”

“This whole thing. I should stop forcing myself on him when he clearly doesn’t want anyone else. No one can take his wife’s place in his heart. Well, it’s not like I want to take her place, but isn’t it possible for him to make a place for someone else, if it isn’t even me? Su-jin is such a lonely child.”

“So, are you going to stop seeing Su-jin now? Imagine how heartbroken she would be.” Yoo-ah urged gently.

“It’s hard for me too, I already love her this much. I have to stop before I fall any deeper for her father.” Ha-na replied with a sigh.

Just then, Su-jin was wheeled out of the operation room and the attending doctor approached Ha-na. Ha-na watched the nurses wheel Su-jin to the recovery room while the doctor spoke to her.

“Su-jin eomma, the surgery went very well. It’s a good thing we were able to do it as soon as possible or it would have been dangerous to her. She’s going to need about three days’ bed-rest to recover fully. If she takes her medication and doesn’t do any stressful work she’ll be just fine.”

“Thank you so much doctor.” She said and made her way towards Su-jin’s bed and watched her while she slept. She held her hand, “Poor baby, what am I going to do if I have to stop seeing you?” Ha-na sighed and pushed Su-jin’s hair back from her forehead. Yoo-ah came and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Now that we’ve seen that Su-jin is going to be okay, we have to leave. Will you be okay by yourself?” She asked.

“Yes, I’ll be fine.” Ha-na replied.

Just then, Kang-min came to the bedside. “Good news, there was a last minute cancellation and Jin-wook was able to get a flight, so he’ll be arriving a few hours from now.” He announced.

Ha-na felt a weight lift from her shoulders and she relaxed a little. “It’s okay for you guys to leave, I won’t be alone when Jin-wookssi gets here. Su-jin is out of danger according to the doctor.” Kang-min gave her a friendly pat on her shoulder and started to leave the building. Yoo-ah hugged her and said silently, “I think you should reconsider”, before she followed Kang-min out of the building. Ha-na glanced at her wristwatch, it was already a little after midnight. She stretched and immediately felt the urge to use the restroom. She smiled, her body could finally relax after the events of the day. She glanced at Su-jin to make sure she was sleeping soundly before she left.

 

“Have you arrived?” Kang-min asked Jin-wook as he headed into his house. He had dropped Yoo-ah off at her apartment just a few minutes before.

“Eo. I’m in a cab headed for the hospital right now.”

“You don’t have to worry too much, Ha-na said the doctor said Su-jin would wake up soon.” Kang-min said as he turned up the lights of his bedroom. He heard Jin-wook sigh deeply and felt for his friend. Jin-wook always hated going to the hospital ever since Young-ae had died and he would always be afraid that one day he’d lose Su-jin the way he lost Young-ae. He hoped he never had to live with that kind of anxiety.

“How is Ha-na?” Jin-wook asked.

“She’s probably exhausted as it is. She was at the hospital longer than Yoo-ah or me and I am so tired I could drop dead right now.” He said trying to lighten the mood.

“She probably is.” Jin-wook said and Kang-min noticed the distance in his voice.

“What are you thinking?” Kang-min asked.

“I’m just wondering why she is so good to Su-jin.”

“Ya, has it ever occurred to you that she might actually love her?”

“That can’t be right, she barely knows Su-jin.”

“They have a bond that is stronger than anything. Su-jin already loves her too. You need to notice these things. Yoo-ah told me how upset Ha-na was when she received the call that Su-jin was in the hospital. Open your heart a little, Su-jin already did.”

Jin-wook sighed again, “I’ll talk to you later, go in and get some rest.”

 

Su-jin walked through her house, but something felt different. It was cold, much colder than normal. She wondered why the heat wasn’t on and where everybody was.

“Eomma, appa. Where are you?” She went down the stairs and saw her mother standing at the door with her back turned to her. “Eomma, why is the house so cold? Where is appa?” She asked but she got no response. “Eomma?” She called hesitantly as she moved closer to her mother.

Ha-na turned to her with a sad smile. “Su-jinah.”

“Eomma, what’s going on?”

“I have to leave. I’m sorry.”

“No, please you can’t go. I don’t want to be alone.”

“I’m sorry.” Ha-na turned and walked out of the house.

Su-jin tried to go after her and the door wouldn’t open. “Eomma, eomma, please don’t go.” She cried.

 

Ha-na came back to Su-jin’s side and saw her fretting in her sleep. She shook her gently, she was worried that Su-jin would rip her stitches from moving around so much. “Su-jinah, Su-jinah, are you okay?” She noticed her lips moving and moved closer to hear what she was saying.

“Eomma, eomma.” Su-jin whispered. Ha-na noticed the tears that stained her cheeks.

“Wake up Su-jin.” She said quietly.

Su-jin opened her eyes and they seemed unfocused for a few moments, until she narrowed them as if she suddenly saw everything around her.

“Su-jinah, what’s the problem?”

“Eomma, I had a bad dream.” She said quietly, tears still coming down her face.

Ha-na paused, Su-jin probably didn’t realize she had called her ‘mom’. “What was it about?”

“You were leaving me. Are you going to leave me?”

“Come on, where would I go?” She asked and held her hand while wiping her tears with her other hand.

“Please, you can’t leave me. Eomma, you can’t go.” Su-jin murmured again before drifting off to sleep.

Ha-na caressed her forehead, “She must still be under the influence of the painkillers.” How was she supposed to leave if she was being like this?

“Ha-nassi.” She heard a voice call her and she turned around and saw Jin-wook standing behind her.

“When did you get here?”

“Just now. How is she?” He asked as he moved closer to her bedside.

“She’ll be fine, the doctor said she just needed to rest for a few days.”

“And you? How are you doing?” He asked gently.

“I’m fine.” She stifled a yawn. She was so tired.

“It’s been a really long day, you should head home and get some rest.”

Ha-na felt her anger rise but she tried to control it. “I want to be here when she wakes up.”

“You look so tired you can barely stand, you’ve staggered three times in the last five minutes.” He said.

“It doesn’t matter, I can go home and rest when she wakes up.” She replied. How could she explain that Su-jin had cried and told her not to go? How could she explain that she didn’t want to leave without saying goodbye to Su-jin?

 

Su-jin opened her eyes and glanced around her, she saw her father talking to Ha-na and called out to him. “Appa.”

“Su-jinah, are you okay?” Her father said gently as he took her hand.

“I’ll go and get the doctor.” Ha-na said and left.

“I’m so glad you’re okay, I was so worried.” Jin-wook said. Su-jin tried to get up but he held her down. “You can’t get up yet, wait until the doctor comes.”

“How are you feeling?” The doctor asked her when he got to her side.

“It hurts a little.”

“It’s because the pain medicine is wearing off. It’ll hurt less by tomorrow.” The doctor said.

“When can we take her home?” Ha-na asked.

“Since it wasn’t a very complicated surgery, she can leave tomorrow afternoon.” The doctor replied and left.

“Su-jinah, do you remember anything?” Ha-na asked.

“Like what?” Su-jin asked.

“You really don’t remember?” Ha-na asked again feeling a little disappointed.

“I don’t remember.” Su-jin said.

“Well, I guess I have to get going then. I’ll come back in the morning to see you okay?” Ha-na said and Su-jin nodded. Jin-wook stood up to follow her but she stopped him. “You can’t leave her alone right now. I’ll find my way.”

“I should drop you off at least.” He said.

“No, I’ll take a taxi, it’s fine.” Ha-na replied and walked out of the hospital.

Su-jin watched Ha-na walk away and sighed. She remembered everything, even the dream. She was embarrassed, she felt a little foolish. She didn’t want Ha-na to think she was that desperate for a mother. Besides, she saw how tired Ha-na looked and she didn’t want to be selfish by asking her to stay with her.

“What was that about?” Her father asked her.

“I don’t know.” Su-jin replied. “Are you really going to stay here all night?”

“Of course, I can’t leave you alone.”

“But the doctor said I was fine, besides you need to get some rest.”

“But, you can’t be by yourself.” He argued.

“I’m fine, go home appa. Take a shower, change your clothes, get some sleep.”

“Su-jinah…”

“Ah, you arguing with me is making me more tired.” She made a shooing gesture.

“There’s no point trying to change your mind, is there?” He asked resigned and she shook her head.

“I’ll entertain myself if I get bored. I feel the need to sleep anyway.”

“Alright, I’ll leave then.” He kissed her forehead and tucked her in. “Sleep tight, I’ll be back in the morning.”

“I love you daddy.”

“I love you too sweetheart.”

 

Ha-na stepped out of the shower and put on her bathrobe. She went into the kitchen to make herself a sandwich since she was too tired to make anything else. She finished up her sandwich and was just about to go to bed when she heard a knock on the door. She glanced at the clock, it was five minutes past two o’clock. “What the hell? Why would someone be calling on me at this time of the night?” She tightened her bathrobe around her waist to hide her nightdress and went to the door. She looked through the peephole and gasped.

“What are you doing here?” She asked once she opened the door.

“I’m sorry for coming so late, but I really need to talk to you.” Jin-wook replied.