Chapter 4

Young-ae's Ghost

Ha-na moved furniture around her small store. She was opening a new interior decoration company. Her best friend Yoo-ah was supposed to be around to help her but she was nowhere to be found.

"Aish! This Song Yoo-ah! Just because she's the investor doesn't mean she shouldn't be here to help me open shop for my first day of business." She reached for her phone and dialed Yoo-ah's number. She answered on the second ring.

"Chinguyah."

"Yah! Where are you? I'm moving furniture by myself."

"Song Ha-na, is that any way to talk to your only investor?" Her friend replied.

"Mainhae goongjunim." Ha-na said sarcastically. She heard the sound of a car starting. "Yah, I hope you're on your way here."

"Mian, I may be coming in a little late today I have to attend a matseon."

"Matseon? Matseon wae?" 

"I'm 28 years old, my father said he'll cut me off from the family fortune if I don't marry before the year is out. He set me on a matseon with his friend's son."

"Do you know who he is?" Ha-na stopped pushing the chair and sat on it to chat with her friend.

"Ani. But if he is good-looking I may give him a chance."

"What if he has a bad personality?"

"Then I'm turning him down, family fortune or no. We can always make our fortune from the interior design business. I have to go now, I'll call you when I finish my matseon." Yoo-ah hung up and started driving. She was supposed to meet him in one of the restaurants that belonged to his family. She hoped he wasn't late, she really couldn't stand rude people. 

**********************************************

"You look good." Jin-wook glanced at his friend, Kang-min who strode into his office. 

"Right?" Kang-min said and plopped himself into a chair opposite him. "You're working hard."

"Kamsahmnida sajangnim." Jin-wook said. 

"I'm here as your friend, not your boss."

"What's up?" 

"Matseon."

"Who's? You?" Jin-wook replied incredulously. His friend of 12 years was going on a matseon. The man who proclaimed that he didn't have much use for marriage. "What brought this about?"

"Abeoji. He said that I have to meet his friend's daughter or he'll cut me off."

"Since when has your father's threats of cutting you off ever scared you? You are doing well on your own with the architectural firm and that little bakery you don't want anyone to know about."

"I'm not scared of my father, but this is the first time in five years he has insisted on me meeting someone. Besides, he's getting old I might as well do it for his sake. There has to be something about this girl, right?"

"I never knew you had it in you to be filial."

"Ey, what wouldn't I do for my father? Speaking of children, how is Su-jin? I haven't seen her in over a year."

"She's fine. She's growing into a teenage girl and giving me more headache than I can handle."

"You need to get that poor child a mother."

"Look at you!"

"I'm serious, she needs a feminine influence in her life. Who's going to teach her about things like how to deal with her first boyfriend?" 

"Yah! Why are you bringing up boys? She doesn't need one now."

"Tell you what, if my matseon works out I'll ask if she has any friends and I'll set you up. Okay?"

"Hajima! I can go on a date myself."

"Jin-wookah, it's been 12 years you need to get over Young-ae."

"How do you know I'm not over her?" Kang-min looked at his friend who was studiously avoiding his gaze. He knew Jin-wook since they meet in their 3rd year in the university. It was shortly after his young wife had died and he was having a hard time raising his daughter and handling reality. He knew that his friend pretended that he was over his dead wife, every year on his wife's death anniversary he would send Su-jin to either one of her grandmothers and sit in front of his wife's memorial and drink. Jin-wook had called him a few times when he was too drunk to see straight. His number was 1 on his speed dial. This happened in the first few years after she died, but as Su-jin began to get older, he didn't drink but he would go to the memorial and sit there all day talking to her.

"Chinguyah, I know you better than anyone else does. It is time to heal your heart brother."

Jin-wook sighed. "Don't you have a matseon to go to?" 

"This is not the end of this conversation." Kang-min got off the chair and adjusted his suit.

"Palli ka." Jin-wook said and shooed him out of the office. 

When Kang-min left, Jin-wook brought out the only picture of Young-ae that he had from the desk drawer and stared at it. "Young-aeya, what am I doing?" 

*********************************************

Yoo-ah sipped on her water and waited for her blind date, she glanced at her watch he was ten minutes late already. 

"What the hell?" She said quietly. She was going to wait another ten minutes, if he didn't show she was leaving. Just then, she saw a man in a navy blue suit approach her. 'Could it be him?' She thought to herself. He came closer and she noticed him. 'Hmm, chalsengiota.' She thought.

 

Kang-min hurried into the restaurant, he was already ten minutes late. He didn't want her to have a bad impression of him even before they met. He saw a lady dressed in a white shirt and grey skirt sipping water. As he approached, she glanced in his direction and gave a little half-smile. 'Yeppeuda.' He thought. He hoped that was her. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, jeo Choi Kang-minimnida." He said to her.

She stood up and gave a little bow, "Jeo Song Yoo-ahimnida. Are you my blind date?" 

"It's seems so, I'm sorry I'm late."

'He has good manners.' She thought to herself. "Aniyo kwaenchanayo. I haven't been waiting long. Please sit down."

"You're beautiful." He said as they sat and she blushed. "I say what's on my mind, I hope that doesn't bother you."

"No, that's fine. I'm like that too."

"Ah, that's good then."

"Ah neh."

"Would you like to order anything? I may be a little biased because this is my family's restaurant but the steak here is one of the best."

"Ah, that's okay. I really like steak." 

There was silence for a while after they ordered their food, until Kang-min spoke. "So, how did your father convince you to come on a matseon?"

"Ah well, he threatened to cut me off." She laughed. 

"So did mine. I think chaebol fathers have no other weapon in their arsenal than that. This kind of threats are useless against me though, I have a wealth of my own."

"Are you bragging right now?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

"It's nothing like that. Did it sound like that?"

"Aniyo, I was just teasing you. Actually, I just started an interior decoration business with my friend. So, if you ever need to redecorate or you have anyone who wants to do so, please give us a call." 

"Oh wow, interior decoration. Well, I run an architectural firm with my friend as well, so if you need any help in that area, please give me a call."

"Do you want my number?" She said so suddenly that he started laughing. "Waeyo? Why are you laughing?"

"I think my father did the right thing to insist I come here today. I like you."

"Ah chinchayo? I approve of you too."

They ate their food and talked. They didn't know how time flew. 

"Ah, I have to get to the store. My friend is going to kill me. Today is our first day but I left her to get everything ready by herself." She said as they approached their cars. 

"Do you mind if I come along? I'm reluctant to let you go just yet."

'Omo!' She thought to herself. "I don't mind. You could come along with your car." 

So, Kang-min drove behind Yoo-ah, who kept glancing in her rear view mirror to make sure he was following properly.

"Yah! Where have you been?!" Ha-na yelled as she saw her friend walk through the door but she immediately quieted when she saw someone walking in behind her. "Omo annyeonghaseyo." She quickly beckoned her friend closer and whispered. "Who?"

"This is Choi Kang-min, my blind date. Choi Kang-minssi, this is my friend and business partner Song Ha-na. And no, we're not sisters, we just happen to have the same last name."

"Nice to meet you Choi Kang-minssi." Ha-na said and put forth her hand.

"It's nice to meet you too. Hope I haven't inconvenienced you by coming, you seem to be in the middle of something." He said, shaking her hand.

"Ah aniyo. It's because it's our first day that's why everything seems to be a mess." Ha-na explained.

"Is there anything you need my help with? I can move furniture." He offered.

"Omo chinchayo? We really don't want to impose." Ha-na said.

"Aniyo, I insist." He said and she nodded.

"Kamsahmnida." She directed him towards the furniture she had been intending to display in the front window and he left to help them. "Hmm moshiso!" Ha-na said.

"Kichi? And he has good manners. Just my style. Ha-naya, I might get married before the end of the year at this rate."

"Lucky girl. I want one too."

"He said he has a friend he works with, do you want me to ask after him for you?" 

"If he's anything like Kang-minssi, I accept." They both laughed. 

When they finished arranging the store, Kang-min announced that he had to leave. 

"Ah so soon?" Ha-na asked.

"Mianhaeyo, I have to go back to the office. I left my friend in charge of things for a while."

"Ah. Okay then. How about we meet next weekend for a date? Here's my number." She said and gave him her card. 

"Yoo-ahya!" Ha-na called from behind them.

"Arasso arasso. Perhaps, is your friend single? We could go on a double date." Yoo-ah asked on behalf of her friend who was smiling brightly at the back. 

Kang-min glanced in Ha-na's direction and smiled. She seemed like fun, it'll be great if Jin-wook could start living again. 

"He's single, I'll ask him if he wants to come along." 

"Okay, see you then. Call me." Yoo-ah waved to him as he got into his car and drove off. 

"Ottoke!" Ha-na yelled.

"Ottoke!" Yoo-ah yelled back.

"He's so handsome."

"He looks like a movie star!"

"You're lucky. I hope his friend is good-looking too, and interested." 

"Ah, did you find a place to live?"

Ha-na had moved out of her old house when she quit her former job. She wanted a fresh start. 

"I found this really cute one bedroom house not too far from the university. The previous owners were in a hurry to leave so I got it at a really good price. You have to come this weekend to help me move in, okay?"

"Yah, do you expect anything less?" 

"How nice would it be if Kang-minssi could come and help me move furniture?"

"Yah, he's mine okay? Drool quietly."

**********************************************

"How was your date?" Jin-wook asked his friend as he came into the office.

"Jin-wookah, she's just my type. I like her. A lot."

"Who are you and what have you done with my friend?" Jin-wook teased.

"Yah, I'm really serious. You should see her, chincha yeppeuda. She's got good manners too. She doesn't act spoiled and she has her own business."

"You got all these from one lunch date?" 

"We're going on another date next weekend."

"Omo, you really like this girl."

"You have no idea. Oh, are you willing to go on a double date with us?"

"Mworago?!"

"Yah, it'll be fun. Her friend is really pretty too."

"Ah, you already know what my answer will be."

"Come on Jin-wookie, just one date. What harm could it do?"

"I really don't feel like it."

"For your friend, one date. Just one date."

"You won't let this go?"

Jin-wook knew better than to argue with Kang-min when he got this persistent about something. He learnt over the years to just give in to him, besides what could one date hurt? 

Kang-min pouted and wiggled, aegyoing with all he had until Jin-wook burst into laughter. "Okay okay fine. One date."

"You're a good friend." Kang-min said and patted his shoulder.

 

Author's note: Annyeong everybody. Really, I'm just having fun with this story. Just going where my fingers lead me. I hope you enjoy the story too.