Final Chapter

Young-ae's Ghost

“Good morning Ha-na.” Yoo-ah said as she walked into the store.

Ha-na had arrived only a few minutes before and was straightening up around the store. “Good morning.” She replied.

“We have to finish interviewing the assistants early today, we have to go and pick up our dresses by 3 pm.” Yoo-ah said as she opened the windows to let the cool August morning breeze in.

“I can’t believe you’re getting married this weekend.” Ha-na said.

“I know right, I’m super excited. Kang-minssi and I haven’t fought about it since that day. How are things with you and Jin-wookssi?”

“Great. I think I’m like really, really in love with him. It’s crazy.” She laughed. Just then, her phone rang. “His ears must be burning. Good morning.” She said as she picked up the phone.

“Good morning. Are you at work already?” Jin-wook asked.

“Yes, I just got in. You?” She asked. Yoo-ah gagged and went into the office to give them some privacy.

“Just now. Did you have breakfast? I told you to stop skipping breakfast, remember?”

“Did you call me just to nag?” Ha-na teased.

“No, I called you because I missed you.” He replied and Ha-na blushed. “I can tell you’re blushing. You brought this upon yourself when you told me to be obvious about my feelings.” Jin-wook laughed over the phone.

“So, did I say I didn’t like it? And yes, I did have breakfast my lord.”

“Did you have fun this weekend?” He asked.

Ha-na, Jin-wook and Su-jin had gone to visit his mother during the weekend and she had insisted on feeding Ha-na so much she thought she would explode. “I think I gained about three kilograms.” She laughed.

“You’re still pretty either way. I have to go now, I’ll talk to you later.” He said and hung up.

 

Ha-na and Yoo-ah interviewed assistant after assistant and they couldn’t find anyone who pleased them. Yoo-ah stretched after the last candidate had walked out. “I’m going crazy chincha.” She said.

“What’s wrong with kids these days? It’s like they don’t want to work but want to receive huge salaries. Ugh.” Ha-na said and massaged her neck.

“If we don’t find one soon I’ll lose my mind.”

Just then, a young woman walked into the store. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m here for the assistant position. My name is Han Hye-jung.” She said and bowed.

“How old are you?” Yoo-ah asked taking a seat.

“I’m twenty-two years old.” She replied after taking a seat.

“Why do you think we should hire you?” Ha-na said taking a look at her resume.

“I would really like to have first-hand experience since I’m also studying to be an interior decorator at the university right now. Honestly, I did some research and I really like the way you match up the different colours, designs and fabric textures. It would be an honour to work with you.” She smiled.

Yoo-ah looked at her skeptically. “Are you just trying to up right now?”

“No no, I really admire your work. I have some ideas too.” Hye-jung replied and showed her a scrapbook she had brought along. “I’ve been working on this since I was eighteen.”

Yoo-ah looked through the book and had to admit that the girl had a good eye.

“Are you willing to do some heavy lifting?” Ha-na asked, it was the question that had dismissed a few of their other candidates.

“Of course, I’m quite strong.” Hye-jung replied.

“Give us a few minutes to deliberate.” Yoo-ah said and she and Ha-na went into the office while Hye-jung looked around the store.

“She seems quite capable.” Ha-na said.

“She has a good eye too. Let’s just hire her. I don’t think we can find a better candidate today and honestly I’m too exhausted to try.” Yoo-ah replied. So, they went back out to meet her. “Han Hye-jung, you’re hired. You can start tomorrow.” Yoo-ah said.

“Kamsahabnida, kamsahabnida.” Hye-jung bowed and shook hands with both of them in turns.

Yoo-ah glanced at the clock, it was already 2:30 pm. “Ya, we have to go.” She said. So, she and Ha-na locked up, got into her car and left for the bridal shop.

 

Saturday morning dawned and the sun shone brightly. The hall was beautifully decorated and all the guests were arriving and taking their seats. Yoo-ah’s parents and Kang-min’s parents stood on either side of the door to welcome them.

“Unni, you’re so pretty.” Su-jin said to Yoo-ah. She was hanging out in the bride-to-be’s room while she got dressed. “Ah, I think I should call you ‘aunty’ now.” She laughed.

“I’m not pretty?” Ha-na asked.

“You’re pretty too unni.” She giggled.

“Did you invite any of your friends?” Yoo-ah asked.

“Just So-ra.” She replied.

Just then, So-ra knocked on the door and came in. She was carrying a large gift. “Congratulations Unni. I wasn’t sure what to buy since Su-jin told me you were a chaebol’s daughter. I hope you don’t think my gift is too shabby.” She said shyly.

“Aww, thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Thank you for being our Su-jin’s friend.” Yoo-ah replied with a big smile to calm the girl down.

“Unni, we are going to be friends for a long time like you and Ha-na unni. Right So-ra?” Su-jin said excitedly and So-ra nodded.

“It’s time.” Yoo-ah’s father came in and took his daughter by the hand.

 

Kang-min tried to keep from pacing up and down while he waited for Yoo-ah to walk down the aisle.

“Relax.” Jin-wook patted his shoulder.

“I am relaxed.” He retorted.

“Yeah right.” Jin-wook said and continued patting him.

Ha-na walked in first since she was the maid of honour and Jin-wook gave her a thumbs up and a big smile, then the wedding march played and Yoo-ah walked in with her father. Kang-min looked like he had died and gone to heaven. They read their vows and the MC pronounced them man and wife. They all took their seats and ate and after they were done, the MC announced that it was time for the couple to have their first dance.

“And the maid of honour and best friend of the bride, Song Ha-na, would sing the song for the first dance. Please give her a round of applause.” The MC said.

Jin-wook rubbed Ha-na’s shoulders to relax her. “You can do this. If you feel nervous, just look at me. Repeat after me, ‘I can do this’.”

“I can do this.” She took a deep breath and got up.

“Fighting.” Su-jin and So-ra said and she smiled at them.

She made her way to the stage and told the band the song she wanted to sing. “Can the bride and groom please come onto the dancefloor?” She asked and they did. She took another deep breath and glanced at Jin-wook who smiled and gave her a thumbs up.

“You can do this.” He mouthed at her.

‘I can do this.’ She said to herself, then she started singing. “Have I told you lately that I love you, have I told you lately there’s no one above you. Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, ease my troubles that’s what you do.” She sang as Yoo-ah and Kang-min danced.

“You look so beautiful.” Kang-min said.

“Thank you.” She buried her head in his chest and murmured. “I love you.”

“What? What did you say?” He asked excitedly.

“I love you.” She said and Kang-min laughed.

“I love you too.” He replied.

“There’s a love that’s divine, and it’s yours and it’s mine like the sun. Have I told you lately that I love you, have I told you lately there’s no one above you. Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, ease my troubles that’s what you do.” Ha-na finished and everyone clapped. Jin-wook stood up and cheered the loudest.

“Encore, encore, encore.” The guests chanted and even Yoo-ah and Kang-min joined in.

Ha-na smiled and started to sing again, she wasn’t so nervous the second time around. “Wise men say only fools rush in, but I can’t help falling in love with you. Take my hand, take my whole life too. For I can’t help falling in love with you.” She sang and when she finished singing, she returned to her seat amidst applause. “The second song was dedicated to you.” She said to Jin-wook when she got to his side.

He gave her a hug and a kiss. “I love you too.” He said and Su-jin and So-ra squealed.

 

5 Years Later…

Jin-wook was busy making breakfast in the kitchen when his five year old daughter walked in. “Good morning daddy.” She said.

“Good morning dear. Where’s your sister?” He asked.

Su-jin walked in. “Present.” She said and kissed her little sister’s head. She opened her arms and gestured to her sister to carry her. “Young-aeya, you’re getting so big, soon I won’t be able to lift you anymore.” She said but carried her anyway.

“You’ll always be strong enough to carry me, you’re unni.” Young-ae replied and nestled her head in her sister’s neck.

“Go and wake your mother and tell her to come down for breakfast.” Jin-wook said as he set the table.

Su-jin walked up the stairs with Young-ae in her arms and headed for her parents’ bedroom. “Eomma, appa said you need to come down for breakfast.” She set Young-ae on the bed and woke Ha-na gently.

Ha-na wiped the sleep from her eyes, five years they had been married and she still wasn’t used to not getting her extra sleep in the morning.

“Good morning mummy.” Young-ae said and launched herself at her mother when she saw that she was fully awake.

“Good morning dear.” She replied and pinched her daughter’s cheek. When she had given birth, she had insisted on naming their daughter after Young-ae even though Jin-wook had initially refused. “It’s because she gave me such a beautiful gift in you and Su-jin that I want to remember her.” She had told her husband.

“Eomma, wash up and come downstairs okay? Remember we’re having a picnic with Kang-min samcheon and his family later today.” Su-jin said. Young-ae crawled up on got on Su-jin’s back.

“Ya, you’re going to hurt your sister if you keep insisting she carries you every time.” Ha-na said getting out of bed.

“I don’t mind.” Su-jin said and galloped like a horse out of the room making Young-ae squeal in delight.

The rest of the family had already started eating before Ha-na came downstairs. Jin-wook pulled out a chair for her and Su-jin fed Young-ae in between mouthfuls.

“You’re going to spoil her. What is she going to do when you go off to school next month?” Jin-wook shook his head.

“I have to spoil her, she’s my only little sister.” Su-jin replied and scratched Young-ae’s chin. “Isn’t that right my little kitten?” She said and Ha-na laughed.

 

Jin-wook, Su-jin, Ha-na and Young-ae were the first to arrive at the park the two families met yearly to celebrate their first double date. In their second year, Jin-wook had told Ha-na that it was on their first meeting at the park that he had been attracted to her. They set up the food they had brought at their usual spot and as they finished, Kang-min’s car pulled into the park. Yoo-ah got off and holding her young son, Sung-min by the hand, she headed towards her friends. “Hi everybody.” She called out.

“Noona!” Sung-min shouted and let go of his mother’s hand to go and hug Su-jin.

“Aigoo, all the children just seem to love you, don’t they?” Yoo-ah smiled.

“Be careful.” Kang-min said to his heavily pregnant wife. He was carrying the food and games they had brought.

“How are you feeling these days?” Ha-na asked. Yoo-ah was having a hard time with her second pregnancy and she had been in and out of the hospital a few times.

“I’m better. I’m going to give my daughter a hard time when she’s born for putting me through all this stress.” Yoo-ah said.

“It’s a girl?” Jin-wook asked.

“Neh. We found out recently. I’m so tired.” Yoo-ah replied and sat on the bench. Kang-min sat next to her and massaged her shoulders.

“Young-aeya, I’m going to be an oppa.” Sung-min said excitedly.

“That must be nice.” Young-ae replied without interest. She was busy digging into the sandwiches.

Sung-min pouted and Su-jin consoled him. “Aigoo, I’ll play with you.” She said and pulled him close to her.

“Ya! She’s my sister.” Young-ae snapped at him and Sung-min began to cry.

“Where does she get this possessiveness from?” Ha-na wondered.

“Kim Young-ae, apologize right now.” Jin-wook scolded.

Young-ae sighed a long-suffering sigh. “Sorry.” She said and poked him in the stomach. “Aren’t you a boy? Why do you cry so easily?” She asked.

“Leave me alone, I won’t play with you.” Sung-min replied sniffing.

“Ya, I said I was sorry. Aigoo, just eat this.” She said and stuffed the sandwich she had been eating in his mouth. Sung-min soon smiled and they made up immediately.

The elders shook their head. “If you two continue like this, we’re going to get you married when you grow up.” Ha-na said.

“I can’t marry Sung-min, he’s too soft.”

“I can’t marry Young-ae, she’s too mean.”

Su-jin laughed and tried to stop another budding fight. “Ya, let’s go and blow some bubbles.” She said and they two children excitedly ran after the bubbles Su-jin blew trying to catch them.

“It’s so hard raising children, isn’t it?” Ha-na said.

“Isn’t that the truth?” Jin-wook replied.

“That’s why you have to meet a good man.” Yoo-ah said and Kang-min kissed her cheek.

“You have to meet a good woman too. I met the best one, right?” Jin-wook smiled at Ha-na.

“You’re adorable.” She replied and smiled back at him and in the background the kids chased after bubbles as happy as could be.

             

                               

   

                                       THE END.

 

 

Author’s Note: Thank you to everyone who stuck around till the end. I’ve wanted to give up so many times while writing this story because I was losing interest in it and I was running out of ideas but all of you helped me to persevere. Building new characters with new lives is not as easy as writing about characters that have already been established. Thank you all once again, I think this might be my last fanfiction for a while, maybe ever. I don’t know yet.