Chapter 10

Young-ae's Ghost

Jin-wook was shocked. He couldn’t believe that the house he and Young-ae had lived in was now occupied by Ha-na. How could it be that they were bound together by this house? “Do you really live here?”

“Neh.” Ha-na got out of the car and nodded to Jin-wook. “Kumapsimnida, joshimhaegaseyo.” Jin-wook nodded back and left and Ha-na went inside the house.

 Ha-na was still thinking about what Jin-wook said in the evening about his dead wife. Could it really be the ghost that she lived with? Just then, her cell phone rang. “Yeoboseyo”

 “Ah, Jin-wookssi, thank you for today. I had a really nice time, I really hope we can do this again sometime.”

 “Neh. Ha-nassi, I’m sorry for bothering you about my late wife earlier today. Mianhaeyo”

 “You weren’t bothering me Jin-wookssi. I’ll be there whenever you need to talk to someone.”

 Jin-wook considered her words and smiled. “Really, thank you.” He said and hung up.

 Ha-na needed to talk to Young-ae so she looked for her in the house. She heard a loud sound coming from the kitchen, it was the rattling of pots and she guessed that it was Young-ae. “Young-aessi, is that you?”

“Ha-naya.”

 Ha-na saw the writing appearing in the sand and she went over to read it.

“I want to ask you something really important.” Ha-na said.

“Wae? What is it?”

“What is the name of your husband?”

“Why are you asking?”

“Perhaps… Is his name Kim Jin-wook?”

Young-ae’s hand hovered above the sand, she wasn’t quite sure how to answer the question. When Ha-na didn’t see a reply, she assumed she was right. She widened her eyes in despair.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Mianhae.”

“Why are you sorry?”

“I didn’t want to tell you.”

“Wae?”

“I wanted you to get to know him and Su-jin. I wanted you to like them first, and I wanted them to like you too.”

“How come you were so sure he was going to like me?”

“Do you remember your first date with him?”

“Neh.”

“There was a reason why I asked you to pick the floral dress you wore to that date. It’s because I thought it would bring back memories of us.”

Ha-na sighed. “What are we going to do now?”

“Do you like him? Even a little bit?” 

“I don’t know. I think so.”

“Then what is the problem?”

“What if he doesn’t like me?”

“I don’t think you have to worry about that. You’re a great person.”

“That may be, but he still may not like me.”

“Don’t worry, as long as Su-jin likes you it’ll be okay.”

Ha-na sat down and sighed deeply. “How did my life come to this?”

 

Jin-wook walked into the house and saw Su-jin laying on the sofa asleep with a book open on her chest.

“Su-jinah, Su-jinah. Wake up.” He shook her gently and she stirred.

“Appa. How was your date?” She said as she made space for him to sit next to her.

“It was good. I enjoyed myself. We even talked about your mother.”

“Chincha?”

“Hmm. I even found out that the house she lives in is the one we lived in before we moved.”

“Wah! What kind of fate is that?” She said as they both headed to bed.

Outside her room, Jin-wook stopped Su-jin. “I’m going on a business trip this weekend the day after Kang-min samcheon’s engagement. I can’t leave you here on your own, so you may have to go to your grandmother’s place.”

Su-jin thought on her feet, this might be a chance to spend some more time with Ha-na, she loved her grandmother but she didn’t want to miss an opportunity to spend a whole weekend with Ha-na. “Aniya appa, I could just go and stay with Ha-na unni instead.”

Jin-wook paused for thought. “Why don’t you want to go to your grandmother’s?”

“It’s too far away, besides I’m curious about what our old house looks like. I didn’t get a good feel of it the last time I was there.”

“Su-jinah, those are silly excuses. Your grandmother doesn’t live too far away, and it’s Ha-nassi’s house now, there’s nothing to feel.”

“Okay okay, I just want to spend some time with Ha-na unni. It’s not a bad idea, right? You don’t hate her anymore, right?”

“I never hated her, and don’t you think it would be a bit of an inconvenience for her?”

“She said I was welcome anytime. If it bothers you so much, we can just call and ask her tomorrow and if she refuses I’ll go to halmoni’s house. Goodnight.” She hurried into her room and shut the door before her father could say anything else.

Jin-wook sighed. It didn’t seem like such a bad idea now that he thought about it. He gave a little smile, he hoped she would say yes.

Su-jin got into bed and got out a picture of her mother to talk to it. “Omma, do you think appa can like Ha-na unni? I mean really like her? Do you think we can live together as a family? I really like unni, she’s nice. I know you would like her too if you knew her. I hope appa falls in love with her and they get married, then I can have a mother too. That would be nice too, wouldn’t it?” She smiled and returned the picture to her bedside drawer and went to sleep.

 

“Ha-nassi, good morning.” Jin-wook spoke to her from his desk phone at work. “Am I disturbing you?”

“No, it’s okay, Yoo-ah is attending to the client. What can I do for you?”

“I wanted to thank you for listening to me yesterday, I really appreciated it.” He said as Kang-min walked in his office. He waved him to sit down and indicated that he would get to him as soon as he finished his call.

“Eyy, you don’t need to thank me, I told you I didn’t mind.”

“Ha-nassi, I was wondering if you can do me a favour.”

“And that would be?”

“I’m going on a business trip to Jeju Island this weekend, I need to go and inspect one of the apartment complexes we are building down there, and I can’t leave Su-jin alone at home. Do you mind letting her stay with you for the weekend?” There was a pause on her end and Jin-wook thought she might decline. “I know it’s too much to ask and it might inconvenience you but…”

“I would love to have Su-jin over. But, does this mean you won’t come to Yoo-ah and Kang-minssi’s engagement party?”

“Are you kidding? Kang-min would kill me. No, I’m leaving the day after and I should be back on Monday.” He laughed.

“Well, that’s okay then. I have to go now, I’ll see you at the party.”

“Thank you again, Ha-nassi.”  Jin-wook said and hung up.

“Ha-na? Song Ha-na?” Kang-min cocked an eyebrow.

“We went out last night.”

“Oh really?” Kang-min smirked.

“Yes really. Did you want something?”

“We have a lunch meeting today that I just remembered but I already promised to take Yoo-ah to lunch at the bakery.”

“And you want me to go alone to the meeting?”

“You are such a good friend, instead I’ll make it up to you later. Anything you want.”

“Ya, you don’t know what I might ask for.”

“I’m not afraid.” Kang-min said and made to leave. At the door, he turned to his friend, “Jin-wookah, charesso!” He said and left.

Jin-wook smiled at his friend’s back, “Song Yoo-ah is such a lucky girl.” He said to himself.

*********************************************************************************************

It was lunch time at the store and Yoo-ah was primping while Ha-na was attending to the last customer before they closed for lunch.

“Going somewhere?” Ha-na said as she came into the office and shut the door behind her.

“Kang-minssi is coming to take me out to lunch.”

“Ah, I see.” Ha-na said and began arranging her desk.

“How are things going with Jin-wookssi?”

“It’s moving along nicely I guess. We went out to dinner last night.” She replied offhandedly.

Yoo-ah paused while applying her mascara and turned to her friend. “You did? Tell me everything.”

Ha-na flushed and waved her hand. “Nothing happened. We just talked about things that’s all.”

“Yeah right. What did you talk about?”

“Just this and that. His wife.”

Yoo-ah frowned. “Ya, why is Kim Jin-wook like that chincha? Why is he talking about his wife on a date like that? If he doesn’t like you he should just say so.” She was angry on behalf of her friend and it made Ha-na laugh.

“It’s not like that Yoo-ahya, I told him it was okay to talk about it. You know, I even found that the house I’m living now used to be his and his wife’s house.”

“Seolma! Chincha?” Yoo-ah gasped.

“Eo. Can you believe it? I was really shocked too.” ‘Not to mention that the ghost of his dead wife is still there.’ She said to herself.

“Ya, what kind of fate is that?”

“Fate?”

“Of course it’s fate, what else could it be? Didn’t you mention that no one has ever stayed longer than a few weeks there and you’ve been there for over three months already?”

“Well, when you look at it like that, but I don’t really believe in things like fate.”

Yoo-ah turned back to fix her make-up and Ha-na contemplated telling her about Young-ae’s ghost.

“How do I look?” Yoo-ah asked.

“Yeppeu. Yoo-ahya, remember I told you that the previous owners said the house was haunted.” Ha-na started.

“I thought you said you didn’t believe in ghosts.”

“I know I did, but what if it’s true?”

“Eyy, there are no such things as ghosts my friend.” Yoo-ah waved off Ha-na’s words and finished applying her lipstick. Just then, they heard Kang-min call out from the store and they went out to meet him.

“Annyeonghaseyo Kang-minssi.” Ha-na said as she followed Yoo-ah out.

“Ha-nassi, I’m sorry about last night.” He smiled.

“Neh?”

“I understand you went on a date with Jin-wook to a restaurant I recommended but it was not to your taste at all.”  

“Ah, well we can’t all like the same things.” Ha-na shrugged.

“I’ll make it up to you some other time.” He said as he walked out the door with Yoo-ah.

“Aniyo, kwaenchanayo.” Ha-na said and inclined her head to him as he entered the car.

“Be back soon.” Yoo-ah said and waved to Ha-na.

 

“Appa, you look so handsome.” Su-jin said as she sat on her father’s bed and watched him put on his bow tie.

Jin-wook smiled at his reflection in the mirror and replied. “You think?”

“Of course, and I think Ha-na unni would feel the same.” Su-jin said slyly.

“Ya!”

“Waeyo, don’t pretend you weren’t thinking the same thing I was.” She teased and got off his bed. “I’ll be downstairs waiting. We don’t want to be late.” She left the room and Jin-wook put on his tuxedo jacket. He had been wrestling with the thought of sending Su-jin to Ha-na’s house by herself versus him dropping her off by himself all week, he finally decided to take her. “It’s so that I can be sure she’s settling in okay and not because I want to see Ha-nassi again.” He told his reflection.

He headed downstairs where Su-jin was waiting for him in her new dress that Ha-na picked out for her and they left for the engagement party together.

Ha-na was at the door with Yoo-ah’s parents welcoming the guests they had invited when she saw Su-jin and Jin-wook arrive together. She smiled as they approached her, it felt like she had been waiting for them to arrive.

Su-jin saw Ha-na and quickened her steps to meet her leaving her father trailing behind her.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” Su-jin bowed to Yoo-ah’s parents before turning to Ha-na. “Unni, you look so pretty.”

“You look beautiful too. You really suit the dress.” Ha-na said.

“Annyeonghaseyo Hwaejangnim, Samonim, Ha-nassi.” Jin-wook approached and greeted everyone.

“Ah, you must be Kang-min’s friend Jin-wook. We met your daughter some time ago. It’s nice to meet you in person.” Yoo-ah’s father said and shook hands with him.

“Neh, me too. Ha-nassi, I’d like to give my greetings to Kang-min’s parents and I have to go and find Kang-min himself…”

“I’ll just stay with Unni then. If you don’t mind.” Su-jin said to Ha-na.

“It’s fine, go ahead. I’ll take her with me to meet Yoo-ah.” Ha-na replied.

Jin-wook nodded and after bowing to Yoo-ah’s parents again, he left to meet his friend.

“He seems nice.” Yoo-ah’s mother said the moment he was out of earshot. “You should date him. We approve.”

“Omoni!” Ha-na said and blushed.

“I think the same thing Samonim. They would look good together, won’t they?” Su-jin chimed from beside Ha-na.

“Ah chinch, come let’s go and meet Yoo-ah.” She said and pulled Su-jin along.

“It looked like she liked him, didn’t it? It wasn’t just me, right?” Yoo-ah’s mother said after they were alone.

“Of course, did you see her smile? It was blinding.” Yoo-ah’s father replied.

“I like Su-jin too, you think they can make it work?” She asked her husband.

“We’ll have to wait and see.” He replied.

 

“Unni, congratulations.” Su-jin said as she approached where Yoo-ah was sitting and Yoo-ah smiled in return.

“Kumawo. Where’s your father?”

“He’s just gone to see Kang-minssi. We’ll see him later.” Ha-na answered and Yoo-ah raised her eyebrow at her friend but said nothing.

“Unni, Ha-na unni picked out this dress for me. It’s pretty, isn’t it?”

“Eo, very pretty.” Yoo-ah replied.

“We’re ready for you.” One of Yoo-ah’s relatives came to inform her and she nodded. She arranged her flower bouquet and her dress properly and turned to Ha-na and Su-jin. They gave her identical fighting gestures and went out of the room. “Let’s go get engaged.” She said silently.

 

“Ya, stop fidgeting.” Jin-wook said to Kang-min.

“I’m nervous.” His friend replied.

“What are you nervous for? It’s an engagement, not a wedding. Calm down.” Jin-wook replied.

Kang-min took a deep breath and held it when he saw Yoo-ah approach. He smiled at her and she smiled in return. They met each other in front of the table where their families sat and bowed to each other. They exchanged rings and bowed to each other again. Jin-wook was watching his friend’s mouth split in half and he sighed. “Ee paboya.” Yoo-ah and Kang-min first went to bow to his parents, then hers before taking their seats at the high table. Everyone else was seated on a long table with the two families on opposite sides of the table. After the cake was cut, a short press conference was held where Kang-min told the press that they hadn’t picked a certain date for the wedding but they were considering some time during the summer and he assured them that his bride would look especially beautiful during the summer.

“It’s getting late.” Jin-wook glanced at his watch, it was already fifteen minutes past five. “I have a 9 p.m. flight to Jejudo tonight and I still have to drop Su-jin off at your house.” He said.

“At Ha-nassi’s place?” Yoo-ah asked.

“Neh, I insisted on it and appa told me Ha-na unni didn’t mind.” Su-jin said.

“Ah keurae?” Kang-min said and gave Su-jin a conspiratorial wink.

“It’s okay, I really don’t mind. Yoo-ahya, Kang-minssi I wish you all the very best. Congratulations.” Ha-na said as she hugged Yoo-ah and inclined her head to Kang-min.

“Chukahae chinguya.” Jin-wook hugged his friend and thumped him on the back.

They got into the car and Su-jin waved at Kang-min and Yoo-ah as her father drove away.

 

“Do you want to come in for some coffee?” Ha-na asked.

“I think I can spare a few minutes.” He glanced at his watch, it was just a few minutes to seven.

Su-jin grabbed her overnight bag from the back and raced to the front door. Ha-na came quickly and opened the door to let her in.

“How was the party? Was it fun?” Young-ae sailed to the living room to welcome Ha-na and stopped short when she saw Su-jin and Jin-wook walk in after Ha-na.

“Su-jinah, my room is right through that door, you can put your things in there. Jin-wookssi, please make yourself at home, I’ll be right back.” Ha-na said and went to the kitchen to put a kettle on fire.

 

Jin-wook sat on the sofa and looked around. The house hadn’t changed much, yet it felt so different. It was no longer the house he had lived with Young-ae, but it felt like Ha-na’s house. It smelled like her and there were pictures of her and Yoo-ah and Yoo-ah’s parents everywhere. He wondered why there weren’t any pictures of her own family. He glanced at the corner of the room and his eye caught the glimpse of a side cabinet and he smiled. He ran his fingers along it and remembered how Young-ae had pleaded with him to let her buy the cabinet when she saw it in an antique store one day. He had refused and she had pleaded that if he let her but it, she would never ask him for anything again till she died and after a while, he agreed. He never could refuse her. Now, a picture of teenaged Ha-na and Yoo-ah in high school uniform sat on the top of the cabinet and there were different genres of books in it.

Ha-na was pouring the coffee into mugs when she finally paid attention to Young-ae who had written a message in the sand tray and was waiting for a reply for almost three minutes.

“What is going on?” Young-ae had asked.

“I’m keeping Su-jin for a few days while Jin-wookssi goes down to Jejudo.”

“But why…” Young-ae started to write again but Ha-na interrupted.

“I can’t talk right now, Jin-wookssi has to leave soon because he has a nine o’clock flight to catch. I’ll talk to you later, okay?” She said and exited the kitchen with the coffee and Young-ae had no choice but to sigh and follow her out.

Ha-na gave Jin-wook his coffee and sat opposite him and Young-ae sat beside Ha-na and studied Jin-wook’s face. She hadn’t seen him in so long and he still looked the same, only older and more handsome. Su-jin poked her head out of the bedroom door. “Unni, I’d like to take a shower, is that okay?”

“Of course, go right ahead.” Ha-na said and Su-jin disappeared back into the room.

“The house really feels different and yet it doesn’t seem like it has changed at all. I can almost sense Young-ae’s presence.” He said.

“Is that so?” Ha-na said.

“Well, I’ve always had a strong presence. Besides, we were together for so long it would be strange if you didn’t sense me.” Young-ae said flippantly.

“I didn’t even know that cabinet would still be here.” He indicated the cabinet, Ha-na glanced at it and Young-ae began to giggle at the memory.

“Ah, I thought it belonged to the previous owners of the house. When I moved in, I was so drawn to it I couldn’t bear to part with it.” Ha-na said.

“It was mine and Young-ae’s, it was one of the last things we bought before she died.” Jin-wook smiled.

“You should have seen me begging for that piece of wood like my life depended on it, I thought he wouldn’t let me buy it.” Young-ae said as if Ha-na could hear her.

“Well, that would explain why it never left.” Ha-na said.

Jin-wook glanced at his watch again, it was already seven thirty. “I really have to get going now if I want to make my flight.” He said as he got up. He wished he could stay a little longer. He wanted to ask her about her life and her family. He couldn’t believe he spent all that time talking about Young-ae.

“I’ll see you to the car.” She said. “Drive safely and have a safe trip.”

“I’ll call you when I get to Jejudo.” He said and she waved him off. She went in, took the mug and went to the kitchen. Young-ae followed and wrote in the sand.

“Well?”

Ha-na sighed deeply and after a while, she said. “It’s no use. I don’t think he can ever get over you.”

“Don’t think like that, of course he can.”

“You are all he talked about just now, he probably just came in to see how the house looked after all this time.” Ha-na said. She felt hurt, she didn’t even know why but she did.

“Ha-naya, calm down. He probably just didn’t know what to say that’s why he just talked about any random thing. He has always been like that.” Young-ae finished writing in the sand as Su-jin came into the kitchen. She hurriedly erased it before Su-jin could see it.

“Unni, do you need any help with dinner?” she asked as she sat at the island.

“I’d love help. What do you want?” Ha-na asked.

“Macaroni and cheese.” Su-jin stated hesitantly.  

After dinner, they cleaned up and decided to go to bed early because they were tired. Su-jin climbed into bed first and Ha-na climbed in after her.

“I can sleep with you, right?”

“Of course, I only have one bedroom. Do you think I’d let you sleep on the sofa?”

Su-jin smiled and pulled the covers tightly around her. “I really like you Unni.”

“I like you too Su-jin.”

“Do you like my dad?”

“Of course I like him, he’s nice and he’s Kang-minssi’s friend.”

“I mean do you like him as a man? Do you think you can marry him?” She said quietly. Suddenly, Su-jin didn’t seem like a fourteen year old anymore, she seemed like a little five year old girl. “I want you to be my mom.”

Ha-na pulled Su-jin into her arms and patted her hair softly. “When do you miss your mom the most?” Ha-na asked her.

“Every time. Since I never met her, I miss her all the time. I miss her when something happens in school and I have no one to tell, and when I have my period, and when I’m hurt, and when the boy I like talks to me, and when my dad gets back from work and I look at how tired and lonely he looks, that’s when I miss her most.”

“Su-jinah, you want to know something? I miss my mother all the time too. I grew up without a father and my mother was my heaven and earth. She died last year and I still miss her every time.”

“Unni, you still haven’t answered me. Do you think you can marry my daddy?”

“What makes you think he’ll want to marry me?”

“It’s just a hunch.” Su-jin replied.

“Some hunches don’t go anywhere.” Ha-na said.

Su-jin yawned and snuggled closer to Ha-na. “I know, but won’t it be great if it did?”

Ha-na thought to herself, ‘If tonight is any indication, we’re both about to get our hearts broken Su-jinah.’

 

Author’s note: I am so sorry that these updates are taking so long, I blame writer’s block and heart break. Since the dating news of Min and Suzy broke I’ve lost all inspiration to write. I had to dig deep down into the recesses of my broken heart to even write these two chapters. So I apologize in advance if it’s helter-skelter, this is the state of my mind these days. Mianhaeyo!